PDA

View Full Version : Position shuffling/changes LB's

broncofaninfla
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
From Rocky Mountain News:

The left knee injury that will sideline D.J. Williams indefinitely might necessitate a shift at linebacker. But the matter might be complicated by Niko Koutouvides' flulike symptoms.
The Broncos might have considered shifting middle linebacker Nate Webster to make room for Koutouvides in the lineup. And Wesley Woodyard and Lou Green could sub for Williams on the weak side

From the Denver Post:

Green and rookie Wesley Woodyard played in Williams' absence in the fourth quarter. Coaches may now reshuffle their linebackers.
Winborn replaced Boss Bailey on the strong side after Bailey was placed on the injured-reserve list after the loss to New England. Wilborn also filled in for Bailey there in the preseason and the season opener. But Winborn is naturally a weakside linebacker, and he started the season as Williams' backup.
Green is most comfortable on the strong side, while Woodyard is best on the weak side.
"I can play either/or, so it doesn't matter," Winborn said. "It just depends on how they want to shuffle us around."

Scarface
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Get Spencer Larsen some PT!

LRtagger
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Factor in that Slowik will be the one telling these guys where they need to be at their new positions and this could be a disaster.

BroncoJoe
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM

I was thinking that too. I wonder if he's had any practice time at LB.

broncofaninfla
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm hoping we move one of TE's in as a back up FB and move Larsen back to LB as well. We are short on RB's AND LB's so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

turftoad
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

If they were doing that from the beginning, like they should have, he'd probably be ready to go.

dogfish
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
yep. . . gimme woodyard at WILL, larsen or webster at mike, and winborn at SAM-- and leave green on the bench, please!

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
yep. . . gimme woodyard at WILL, larsen or webster at mike, and winborn at SAM-- and leave green on the bench, please!

And say HELLO! to 300 yards per game rushing for opposing teams...

Den21vsBal19
11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Make a change from our corners being picked on :coffee:

broncofaninfla
11-04-2008, 03:56 PM

Like that is any different than the LB's before them?

BigSarge87
11-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Come on, man, stay positive, no way they get over 250 with this solid group.

We used to be able to say the LBers were the strength of this defense, now there definately isn't one. Trying to keep the cup half full, maybe this will cause them to dig down and find something to build on. It's a stretch, but hey desperate times...ya ya ya...measures. Ya know?

G_Money
11-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Larsen at the Mike is gonna give up an extra 150 yards a game on the ground by himself? Huh?

Woodyard is the same size as Green and Winborn, and pretty much Webster for that matter. All our backup LBs should be weak-siders, except for Kou and Larsen.

What exactly is the flaw in Woodyard/Larsen or Webster/Winborn over Winborn/Webster/Green or whatever?

Winborn freelances too much as a Will for my tastes and overpursues like crazy. Green is no better at Sam than Winborn is.

I guess I'm missing the problem.

Unless you think any LB group we put out there is gonna be giving up 300 ypg on the ground...in which case it still doesn't matter who we put out there so we might as well see what the kids have got.

~G

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Like that is any different than the LB's before them?

Contrary to popular belief, although it is atrocious, we're giving up 144 yards a game on the ground. As long as we're still in the race for the division title, I'd prefer it stay around there, or maybe get better, rather than throwing three rookies/young players at it, and say "have at it."

We aren't in a position like the Chiefs or Raiders...

Now...if its Week 15 and the Chargers have won five in a row, and suddenly we're trailing by a few games, OK....go for it...

turftoad
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Contrary to popular belief, although it is atrocious, we're giving up 144 yards a game on the ground. As long as we're still in the race for the division title, I'd prefer it stay around there, or maybe get better, rather than throwing three rookies/young players at it, and say "have at it."

Now...if its Week 15 and the Chargers have won five in a row, and suddenly we're trailing by a few games, OK....go for it...

So we win the div title, then what?? Get our asses handed to us in the first round and make more fools of ourselves than we already are??

How that for positive for ya? :D

BigSarge87
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, if you think about it, I doubt LB is going to be a position of focus during the offseason. We might be stuck with the guys we have now next year. Do we want to work the young guys in there to get them going? I don't know.

I understand a SB is pretty much out of the question, but at this point, we desperately need a playoff win. You never know until you get there. Honestly, it's not too late, if we can get our offense going here down the stretch and go into the playoffs hot, we might get a win or two. That would be huge for this team. Something to build on next year.

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
So we win the div title, then what?? Get our asses handed to us in the first round and make more fools of ourselves than we already are??

How that for positive for ya? :D

Sorry, but I guess I'm just one who'd rather be dancing, than playing the young guys and "hoping" for next year.

dogfish
11-04-2008, 05:17 PM

okay, so what linebacker group do you prefer, and why would it be any better?

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
okay, so what linebacker group do you prefer, and why would it be any better?

I prefer to go with coach Shanahan and his coaching staff who see the players every day in practice, and who think that the three linebackers on the field are the best linebackers on the field for us.

tubby
11-04-2008, 06:38 PM
I prefer to go with coach Shanahan and his coaching staff who see the players every day in practice, and who think that the three linebackers on the field are the best linebackers on the field for us.

You sure back pedal fast for a midget. Must be all that tennis. :cool:

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
You sure back peddle fast for a midget. Must be all that tennis. :cool:

Back peddle? I don't know about that?

But I know all these linebackers that people are screaming for must not be making any plays in practice, so I don't really see why they deserve to play on Sunday.

tubby
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM

But I know all these linebackers that people are screaming for must not be making any plays in practice, so I don't really see why they deserve to play on Sunday.

Dammit.

Someone has to.

broncobryce
11-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I might go to prison for murder if we lose the division to the chargers and have to listen to those bandwagoners all offseason. Hopefully we can hold up and make the playoffs. Give jay some playoff experience now.:salute:

G_Money
11-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Well the guys that make it onto the field aren't making any plays on gameday, so maybe their view of practice is skewed. ;)

Woodyard only has experience at the Will, so I understand not putting him at Mike or Sam. But now that DJ's down we apparenly think Woodyard should play THAT position, since he did Sunday. They pulled him out for most of the nickels I saw, but that might be because he doesn't get to run the nickel very often in practice. We'll see how much more practice he gets and whether that shows them enough to let him stay on the field all the time. I don't see why it wouldn't - coverage is one of his better attributes.

Now, we could play Winborn there but I wish we wouldn't. It's his more "natural" position but I think it hurts him, honestly. When he has to think about things harder he screws up less. When he's in full-on chase mode all the time he forgets to hold the edge or watch out for reverses or maintain coverage.

Playing too fast for the game was what got him into trouble elsewhere, and he seems better restrained and able to play within himself when there are more obstacles (like TEs) in his way, not fewer.

Green I've never been a huge fan of, but he's not terrible. I could see wanting to play a Winborn/Webster/Green package because it gives you good experience out there at all the LB positions. Of course, our safeties are VERY experienced and they still suck eggs, so maybe experience shouldn't be the tipping point.

Webster really seems to excite them at MLB though. He definitely plays more balls-to-the-wall than the more-tentative Kou. And I can't see Larsen leapfrogging both of them. I still think Larsen is more like Keith Burns - great special teamer, good leadership qualities, not a professional starter but could wind up with a real decent career in the pros at what he does.

If Larsen can't get on the field even with two starters down then we DEFINITELY better get a MLB (or strong-sider, but preferrably MLB) early in the draft. I think we can assume that anyway, but that should crystalize it for everyone, coaching staff included.

Of course, I've thought that about MLB and safety in the last two drafts, so what do I know?

~G:beer::beer:

bcbronc
11-06-2008, 02:38 PM
give the young guys a look. they at least might get better. Guys like Webster, Green and Winborn are what they are.

Dean
11-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Whoa for just one minute. That is way too logical for this board. Shake yourself and come back when this type of thinking has run its course.:salute:

MOtorboat
11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Whoa for just one minute. That is way too logical for this board. Shake yourself and come back when this type of thinking has run its course.:salute:

My bad...

I prefer any rookie free agent we can find.

Lonestar
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
This season is toast even IF we could back into the playoffs we accomplish nothing other than a later draft choice..

Now I'm not talking about tanking games but playing those kids that should be starters in the future gives them the chance to get better for next year or TELL us now that they need to be upgraded.

Out side of Robertson, Thomas, Champ and DJ I do not see any keepers for full time starters next year.. there are a couple situational guys but not full time Professional starters..

When you use this criteria can any of our other starters start for any other upper echelon team in the NFL.. If they can;t then why should we settle for them?..

Look folks I'm not talking about pro bowlers merely can they start for say TEN, NYG, SAN or INDY.. Could they replace one of their starters and not hurt their team.. How many players have we really lost to FA that have went to new teams and been good not just back ups.. 2-3 on Defense in all of days of DAFTING.. I'm not talking about the Romos and others we got via FA but draftees.. But bona fide players for us that moved on to start somewhere else..

SO that said play the kiddies and see if they are worth keeping this season for all intents and purposes is toast..

For those that think we have not done it before remember Jay getting the start in game 11 of 2006.. No one really believed mikey when he said he thought he was the best chance of winning did they?

What the hell one or more of them just might play like starters.. surely they can't be worse than the mopes we have now..

gobroncsnv
11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Green I've never been a huge fan of, but he's not terrible.

Well, Green doesn't look fast enough to play WILL, so he goes to the TE side at SAM, and we all saw how good his pass coverage was against The Toker. I honestly don't see him fit, POSSIBLY MIKE, but it shows the state we're in that we have to play him SOMEwhere. Just wow...