PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking backs

Dean
11-04-2008, 07:59 AM
With our losses to IR yesterday, the Broncos are in dire need of running backs.

This brings up a miriad of questions. Who do we go to? Can Torain step up? How long until Selvin is back? Could Hillis shoulder a little of the load on short yardage? Tatum Bell is available and knows the offense. Should we pick him up?

Or. . . are we screwed?

gobroncsnv
11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
In some ways, yes... then again, watching Hillis play his heart out on Sunday is a ray of hope. I don't think Hillis is any slower than the Bus, (don't think I'm touting him as any kind of long term solution, though) but I really do wonder what the kid could do... worse than we did on Sunday? Did Hillis get any carries in that game? He's already proven to be more of a pass catching threat than Tatum... (like that's hard, or something...)

Tned
11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I think HIllis was 4.55-4.6 or so in the 40.

broncofaninfla
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd expect Hillis to have prominent role in our offense for the rest of the season. The Cleveland game is going to be a pivotal game for us. Torain and Hillis will now have the reigns. Young isn't healthy enough to shoulder the load. Honestly, I like the opportunity these guys are getting. This could be a positive change for us.

dogfish
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
MORE TOUCHES FOR HILLIS?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2008, 8:00 p.m.

With Michael Pittman and Andre Hall on injured reserve and Selvin Young still injured, the only healthy running back in Denver is rookie Ryan Torain, who missed the first seven games of the season with a broken arm.

Because of that (and in lieu of bringing back a guy like Tatum Bell), fullback PatrickHillis could get more touches on Thursday night at Cleveland.

In college at Arkansas, Hillis played fullback, running back, receiver, tight end, and kick returner. On Sunday, he became only the third running back in Broncos history to register more than 100 yards receiving in a single game.

“I really don’t know what to expect. It’s pretty much a week-to-week deal with the way things have been going ever since the beginning of the year,” Hillis said on quarterback Jay Cutler’s weekly TV show. ”No matter what role they put my in, I’ll be wanting to do it any way.”

edit: that's PEYTON hillis, dumbass! :tsk:

Dean
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I guess that this answers some of my questions.

DenverBroncos.Com

The team announced the signing of linebacker Mario Haggan to the roster, and they also signed P.J. Pope and Roderick Rogers to the active roster from the practice squad, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

The Broncos have also waived tight end Chad Mustard and added running back Cory Boyd and linebacker Tyson Smith to the practice squad.

Haggan is in his sixth year in the NFL after spending the last five seasons with the Buffalo Bills, who selected him in the seventh round of the 2003 NFL Draft. He appeared in all 16 games during each of the last four years with Buffalo and has played in 65 career games, totaling 21 tackles, one sack and 57 special-teams stops.

Pope has spent the first nine weeks of the season on Denver’s practice squad, and with the injuries to Andre Hall and Michael Pittman, the Broncos elevated him to the active roster to add depth at running back. He began his NFL career with the Bears in 2006 as a college free agent.

Rogers has also been on the practice squad for the first nine weeks of this season, but he saw action in Denver’s final two games of 2007.

Boyd is a rookie running back out of South Carolina who was drafted by the Buccaneers in the seventh round, but Tampa Bay waived him on July 26.

Smith is a second-year linebacker who joins the Broncos after spending training camp with the Dallas Cowboys. He has appeared in three games for his career, totaling four special-teams tackles for the New York Giants during the 2006 season. Last year, he saw time on the practice squads of the 49ers, Redskins and Cowboys. He entered the NFL in 2005 with Baltimore as a college free agent.

– Adam Zinser, DenverBroncos.com

It just doesn't answer my last question.

dogfish
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I guess that this answers some of my questions.

It just doesn't answer my last question.

you might have to bust out the magic eight ball for that one. . . . :D