PDA

View Full Version : News Expanded rosters would help teams get through training camp

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
While there were few specifics of what a new CBA might look like during this week's owners meeting in the Chicago area, there was discussion of possible one-year rule changes that might be necessary when the lockout ends, according to sources who attended the meeting.

The competition committee has broached the idea of expanding training camp rosters for 2011, considering all of the offseason training activities and teaching time that has been lost, as well as the months of evaluation teams would normally have to work with depth players and prospects. The idea has been embraced by numerous general managers I spoke to this week and would receive significant support by their ranks if put to a vote.

There is no timetable for a vote yet and nothing tangible proposed, but expanding camp rosters to 90 or so players makes sense on many levels.

Normally teams would have expanded offseason rosters filled with players on "futures" contracts, who coaches can assess throughout offseason workouts and OTAs before deciding who to bring to camp. Obviously that entire process has been sacrificed due to the lockout.

"I don't know anyone in my position who wouldn't support it," one general manager told me. "We'd love to be able to bring 90 in (for training camp). And from the players' side, it's more opportunities for them."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820724e4/article/expanded-rosters-would-help-teams-get-through-training-camp?module=HP_headlines

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 03:55 PM
If this goes through I hope they just load up on a shitload of UFAs.

Lonestar
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Inwould think it would be counter productive just that many more bodies to have to try and teach and then more to cut. Now if they expanded the 53 player roster for a year that would make sense giving those on the bubble players a chance to show what they got.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Inwould think it would be counter productive just that many more bodies to have to try and teach and then more to cut. Now if they expanded the 53 player roster for a year that would make sense giving those on the bubble players a chance to show what they got.
It gives more players a chance to make an impact, possibly show what they're capable of and land a spot on the roster. You're right, it could get a little hectic with that many bodies and it wouldn't be possible to provide all the new ones with the same attention the smaller roster received, but it could be a good chance to find a player or two who might have slipped through the cracks otherwise.

vandammage13
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Maybe that will give us enough roster spots to keep Orton until wk 4 of the preseason...

:laugh:

Lonestar
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Orton will be the starter unless they get a great player or draft pick for him.