PDA

View Full Version : Jake Del-Homey

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Bill Williamson's blog this morning:

John from Englewood, Colo., wants to know if the Denver Broncos trade quarterback Kyle Orton and make Tim Tebow the starter, who I think it is the best fit as a mentor to Tebow, Jake Delhomme or Mark Brunell.

Bill Williamson: It’s not what I think that’s important, John, but it’s what new Denver coach John Fox thinks. If Orton is traded and Tebow is the starter, I think Denver will look for a veteran backup. If Delhomme ends up leaving Cleveland, I would think he’d be the favorite to be Tebow’s mentor. Fox and Delhomme have a long history together in Carolina and there is a mutual respect. I think it’d be a natural fit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/28337/afc-west-mailbag-233

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
WDgq-K2oYLo

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Re-united!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/jake-delhomme-browns.JPG

GEM
06-22-2011, 11:37 AM
In strictly back up duty....:shrugs: Couldn't be any worse than Brady freaking Quinn.

BroncoWave
06-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I really don't see any logical reason to be opposed to this. Delhomme will know his place as the mentor so he won't be a sourpuss about not starting like Orton was at the end of the year. Also, he knows Fox's system well so if Tebow/Quinn were to go down, we'd have a solid veteran who could at least keep us afloat. I don't really see the downside here.

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Denver Panthers...

DeAngelo Williams, come on down...

GEM
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Denver Panthers...

DeAngelo Williams, come on down...

If he drops our LS and pays some douche tattoed up idiot quadruple the amount we pay.....oh wait. :lol:

:D

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
If he drops our LS and pays some douche tattoed up idiot quadruple the amount we pay.....oh wait. :lol:

:D

People don't like Orton's arm strength, wait until they get to watch Delhomme shot putting it ten yards.

:welcome:

GEM
06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
People don't like Orton's arm strength, wait until they get to watch Delhomme shot putting it ten yards.

:welcome:

He'd be a backup, not the starter. Have you seen Quinn attempt passing? Delholmme would be an upgrade.

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
He'd be a backup, not the starter.

Oh man.

GEM
06-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Read your own post. If they were to trade Orton, make Tebow the starter, who would be best fit to MENTOR Tebow?

Answer:

If Orton is traded and Tebow is the starter, I think Denver will look for a veteran backup. If Delhomme ends up leaving Cleveland, I would think he’d be the favorite to be Tebow’s mentor. Fox and Delhomme have a long history together in Carolina and there is a mutual respect. I think it’d be a natural fit.

Where in there does it say anything about starting? Fox isn't an idiot, he isn't going to downgrade from Orton, but he does know that Delhomme knows his offense and was a decent QB in it, perfect for a mentor and BACKUP.

Have you seen Quinn live? He's like a lost freaking puppy. He holds onto the ball for so long that even open receivers can't stay open. He has no confidence with the ball in his hands. He's not even fit for a backup, he can't mentor anyone and if he goes in if the starter gets hurt, we're screwed. I've seen him live up close twice and it was downright pitiful to watch. How he went in the first round is beyond a freaking joke.

BroncoStud
06-22-2011, 12:06 PM
NO and HELL NO to Jake Delhomme. He not only has dead-arm I am not convinced he thinks he's a backup yet, he was brought in to Cleveland last year to compete and actually started...

Keep this guy off of our roster. There are MUCH better options.

Fan in Exile
06-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I would love him if he could come in and help Tebow learn. I think I would hate him if he ended up having to start because of injury.

Slick
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
No thanks to either one of those clowns. We don't need to sign a mentor for Tebow. We've got the Duke.

underrated29
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
no way. he is old, weak arm, buckles under the pressure and more or less sucks ass right now.

Marc Bulger....The dude was a gamer until STL refused to give him an OL and the poor man go concussed more than mike tysons opponents.

Bulger also does not throw a lot of picks and has a solid enough arm. He also knows he is a backup.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
NO and HELL NO to Jake Delhomme. He not only has dead-arm I am not convinced he thinks he's a backup yet, he was brought in to Cleveland last year to compete and actually started...

Keep this guy off of our roster. There are MUCH better options.

Like who? And why? Delhomme is the perfect fit to TEACh and mentor a young QB to make it in the NFL. He woudln't be brought in to start, he wouldn't be brought in to COMPETE for the starting job. His 'job' would be to provide veteran intelligence and experience to the sidelines. He would be there to teach Tebow how to prepare, what to look for, someone to talk with on the sidelines that can help him along in situations.

I don't get the resistance to this. Who gives a RAT's ASS how strong Jake's arm is?

Also, just to be clear..... WHO wants ANY PLAYER on their roster that WANTS to be a back-up? Not me. If Jake feels he's not "back-up" and wants to TRY his hardest to win the starting role..... so what??? who cares?? Why is that a bad thing?? What player available would you WANT on our roster that is EXCITED to be a back-up that would be worth a DAMN as a role-model/mentor for Tebow??

I've said this from the moment that Fox was hired, that I felt Delhomme would be the perfect teacher/mentor/example for Tim. Still feel that way.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
No thanks to either one of those clowns. We don't need to sign a mentor for Tebow. We've got the Duke.
I made this comment a few days ago and was half-joking, half-serious. Tebow could bump into Elway in the office and learn more about being a QB than by listening to Jake Delhomme teach him all the secrets to throwing five-interception games.

BroncoStud
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Like who? And why? Delhomme is the perfect fit to TEACh and mentor a young QB to make it in the NFL. He woudln't be brought in to start, he wouldn't be brought in to COMPETE for the starting job. His 'job' would be to provide veteran intelligence and experience to the sidelines. He would be there to teach Tebow how to prepare, what to look for, someone to talk with on the sidelines that can help him along in situations.

I don't get the resistance to this. Who gives a RAT's ASS how strong Jake's arm is?

Also, just to be clear..... WHO wants ANY PLAYER on their roster that WANTS to be a back-up? Not me. If Jake feels he's not "back-up" and wants to TRY his hardest to win the starting role..... so what??? who cares?? Why is that a bad thing?? What player available would you WANT on our roster that is EXCITED to be a back-up that would be worth a DAMN as a role-model/mentor for Tebow??

I've said this from the moment that Fox was hired, that I felt Delhomme would be the perfect teacher/mentor/example for Tim. Still feel that way.

Billy Volek, Todd Collins, and Marc Bulger - ALL better options and squarely KNOW they are NFL backups. ANY of those guys would be a better mentor and a better backup than Delhomme.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Billy Volek, Todd Collins, and Marc Bulger - ALL better options and squarely KNOW they are NFL backups. ANY of those guys would be a better mentor and a better backup than Delhomme.

why? What would make them better? What makes you think they KNOW they are back-ups?

And I'll repeat. Who WANTS a guy on the roster that is HAPPY and "knows" that he's a back-up? What harm/badness does it do to ANYONE for a guy to TRY and start? Isn't that you want out of EVERY player on the roster??? I know I do.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I made this comment a few days ago and was half-joking, half-serious. Tebow could bump into Elway in the office and learn more about being a QB than by listening to Jake Delhomme teach him all the secrets to throwing five-interception games.

But Elway isn't going to be available for breaking down film, or teaching Tebow HOW to break down film and prepare for games. Elway isn't going to be on the sidelines going over the game plan between series, or at time-outs. He's not going to be at every practice and in every film session.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I really don't see any logical reason to be opposed to this.
He's a backup, you say? He'll stay off the field and he'll know his place and stuff? So basically the only argument that can be made for Delhomme is that he's been in Fox's system for multiple years and has played QB in the NFL. The problem is, he's a shitty QB who never really accomplished anything past the miracle Super Bowl season and became an expert at multiple-interception football. You guys seem to be under the impression that he has a bunch of wisdom to impart to young Tebow or something.

I'm opposed to it because there is no logical reason to be supportive of it.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
He's a backup, you say? He'll stay off the field and he'll know his place and stuff? So basically the only argument that can be made for Delhomme is that he's been in Fox's system for multiple years and has played QB in the NFL. The problem is, he's a shitty QB who never really accomplished anything past the miracle Super Bowl season and became an expert at multiple-interception football. You guys seem to be under the impression that he has a bunch of wisdom to impart to young Tebow or something.

I'm opposed to it because there is no logical reason to be supportive of it.

Thats false. Players don't make it in the NFL for as long as Delhomme has played and NOT be good. They may not be great, but they KNOW the NFL. Thats the point. I get that some of you guys want to exaggerate how bad he is (and yes, it IS a major exaggeration) but despite that, he's proved that he's been good "enough" to make it in this league since our Super Bowl winning years.

Thats a LOT of experience to have learned over the last 11 seasons in the NFL. Even if Jake was/is unable to PERFORM what he knows, the knowledge is still there.

How many coaches in ANY professional sport were "great" at the sport of which they are coaching? I find it silly to think that because the guy was never a HoF QB, that he doesn't possess and able to provide a wealth of information.

BroncoStud
06-22-2011, 12:31 PM
why? What would make them better? What makes you think they KNOW they are back-ups?

And I'll repeat. Who WANTS a guy on the roster that is HAPPY and "knows" that he's a back-up? What harm/badness does it do to ANYONE for a guy to TRY and start? Isn't that you want out of EVERY player on the roster??? I know I do.

Collins and Volek are essentially CAREER backups, and Volek is a very good one. Bulger has been a backup for several years now and seems to be fine in that role, and he understands defenses and reads, he would be very good to teach Tebow.

Delhomme was lobbying as a starter just LAST YEAR in Cleveland and did start. He was also Fox's boy in Carolina. Not to mention he has dead arm and just flat out SUCKS these days and never was that great.

We don't need someone who is going to force the young guys to constantly look over their shoulders, we need a mentor who will HELP them. Look at what a guy like Kitna has been able to do for Tony Romo.

nevcraw
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Brunell if avail. would be my first choice but would not mind it if we had jake D. come in as a BU / mentor.

lol @ all the outrage and indignation towards the idea...

Slick
06-22-2011, 12:33 PM
But Elway isn't going to be available for breaking down film, or teaching Tebow HOW to break down film and prepare for games. Elway isn't going to be on the sidelines going over the game plan between series, or at time-outs. He's not going to be at every practice and in every film session.

His coaches will Rav.

During the season, John's duties as a suit should lighten up. Why couldn't he find some time to go over a few things with Tim?

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Collins and Volek are essentially CAREER backups, and Volek is a very good one. Bulger has been a backup for several years now and seems to be fine in that role, and he understands defenses and reads, he would be very good to teach Tebow.

Delhomme was lobbying as a starter just LAST YEAR in Cleveland and did start. He was also Fox's boy in Carolina. Not to mention he has dead arm and just flat out SUCKS these days and never was that great.

We don't need someone who is going to force the young guys to constantly look over their shoulders, we need a mentor who will HELP them. Look at what a guy like Kitna has been able to do for Tony Romo.

Lobbying? You mean trying? :confused:

I don't see how your point of KNOWING he's a back-up has anything to do with anyting.

If they are looking over their shoulder without the confidence that they can "beat out" Delhomme .... especially if he's as HORRIBLE as you say he is.... then there is some major problems with the QB you want to put on the field. I don't see Delhomme to be competition, and it makes me wonder if you really believe he's as bad as you say if you are actually worried that he's going to beat out Tebow.

As far as Kitna has done for Romo... what? What has he done??? I haven't seen anything that Kitna has done for Romo. I've seen a QB that has started for a number of years now and is finally stepping into the role.. which happens about a QBs third season.

T.K.O.
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM
the main problem i see is that we are apparently going to use the offensive system brought in by McD with a few tweaks.
so the fact that delhomme is familiar with "Fox's system" is irrelevant.
the fact is we have 2 veteren qb's who know the current system better than any free agents available.
let's all just hope that if Tebow wins the job.....we won't need to find out if how good the back up's are:salute:

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Read your own post. If they were to trade Orton, make Tebow the starter, who would be best fit to MENTOR Tebow?

Answer:

If Orton is traded and Tebow is the starter, I think Denver will look for a veteran backup. If Delhomme ends up leaving Cleveland, I would think he’d be the favorite to be Tebow’s mentor. Fox and Delhomme have a long history together in Carolina and there is a mutual respect. I think it’d be a natural fit.

Where in there does it say anything about starting? Fox isn't an idiot, he isn't going to downgrade from Orton, but he does know that Delhomme knows his offense and was a decent QB in it, perfect for a mentor and BACKUP.

Have you seen Quinn live? He's like a lost freaking puppy. He holds onto the ball for so long that even open receivers can't stay open. He has no confidence with the ball in his hands. He's not even fit for a backup, he can't mentor anyone and if he goes in if the starter gets hurt, we're screwed. I've seen him live up close twice and it was downright pitiful to watch. How he went in the first round is beyond a freaking joke.

Oh, I know what Bill Williamson's article says. He'd come in as the backup to mentor Quinn and Tebow, everyone would say that, and yada, yada, and ole' Fox couldn't help himself and by week 8, Delhomme would be starting.

Last thing I want to see is Delhomme on this roster. I guess the sarcasm didn't quite come across. My apologies for that.

NorCalBronco7
06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Jakes not a bad fit except for the fact hes become a horrible Qb the last few years. Pass.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
In strictly back up duty....:shrugs: Couldn't be any worse than Brady freaking Quinn.

Hey girl - that is not all that is important - if he is not as gorgeous as Quinn - Quinn stays ;)

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
the main problem i see is that we are apparently going to use the offensive system brought in by McD with a few tweaks.
so the fact that delhomme is familiar with "Fox's system" is irrelevant.
the fact is we have 2 veteren qb's who know the current system better than any free agents available.
let's all just hope that if Tebow wins the job.....we won't need to find out if how good the back up's are:salute:

Its not, because our OC was the Assistant HC in Carolina with Fox. If you don't think they will be running a system more of what he's been doing in Carolina as opposed to what he was doing with McD, I think you are fooling yourself.

But, the truth is for ANY QB changing systems, its only the terminology that changes. The plays are the same. So I'm pretty confident that Delhomme coming in will be pretty clear with the terminology of the offense.

GEM
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey girl - that is not all that is important - if he is not as gorgeous as Quinn - Quinn stays ;)

As long as Quinn keeps his helmet off, we're good! :D Eye candy...pure and simple!!

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I've never understood the adoration of Quinn as some kind of dreamboat, and I'm pretty secure with myself and feel comfortable discussing another guy's looks. I mean, I get that he's got a perfect body and everything, but the dude is just plain goofy looking.

powderaddict
06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
If the backup is in the game we're screwed no matter who it is.

Jake will be a great teacher / coach type who can really help Tebow. I think he could be a good pick up.

T.K.O.
06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I've never understood the adoration of Quinn as some kind of dreamboat, and I'm pretty secure with myself and feel comfortable discussing another guy's looks. I mean, I get that he's got a perfect body and everything, but the dude is just plain goofy looking.

yeah.....and he does'nt even have a manly neckbeard:D

Dzone
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Will take Delhomey any day over Orton. Orton is nothing but a bad seed, espcially if he is sitting on the bench where he belongs. He will do nothing at all to try and help Tebow. He needs to go to another team where he can sit on the bench with a little dignity

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
yeah.....and he does'nt even have a manly neckbeard:D
That neckbeard brings all the ladies to the yard. Orton might not be the handsomest guy in the world, but he clearly has some serious game in the women department. I bet nothing eases the pain of passing the ball fifty times in a loss more than cleaning up, grabbing a battle of Jack and hitting the town with pure, unbridled confidence just below your chin.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Will take Delhomey any day over Orton. Orton is nothing but a bad seed, espcially if he is sitting on the bench where he belongs. He will do nothing at all to try and help Tebow. He needs to go to another team where he can sit on the bench with a little dignity
You're kidding yourself if you think that Delhomme is a better QB than Orton at this point. I don't give a rat's ass if he's willing to be a mentor or not, he'd still be worth much, much more to the team as a backup than Delhomme.

WARHORSE
06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
We dont need to sign anyone. Let Quinn be the backup. He should make a jump in year two anyways. How big? Who knows, but its not like Quinn cant play.

In a ball control offense.....he can do it.

MENTOR??? ANYONE KNOW JOHN ELWAY?

If we bring in Delhomer I'll hack up a hairball.

The guy is DONE.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Ugh.

If you are looking for Quinn to be the back-up over Delhomme... Guess what? He's STILL ON THE ROSTER. Why couldn't we have Delhomme on the roster to actually have a veteran mentor and still have Quinn as the back-up??? :confused:

If Quinn can't beat out Delhomme as the back-up, then I'm guessing he's not good enough to beat out Delhomme. But the reality is, we are going to have THREE QBs on the roster anyway. Not like if we sign Delhomme we are going to drop Quinn. Sheeeeeesh.

John Elway will do what he can, but as the GM he can NOT be the teacher/mentor to the QB everyday at practice. He can't/won't be in the film room every evening. He won't/can't be at every practice. He can't help Tebow on the sidelines during games.

As a young player, it would be good to a veteran...calming...experienced player to come up to you and keep you focused, mention some things to look for, mention to you what kind of defense they are playing and the in's/out's of that defense... maybe remind you of certain reads you were to be looking for that was discussed over game-planning.

Why is it so terrifying to have a veteran QB on the roster? What is the fear some have?

BroncoWave
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Ugh.

If you are looking for Quinn to be the back-up over Delhomme... Guess what? He's STILL ON THE ROSTER. Why couldn't we have Delhomme on the roster to actually have a veteran mentor and still have Quinn as the back-up??? :confused:

If Quinn can't beat out Delhomme as the back-up, then I'm guessing he's not good enough to beat out Delhomme. But the reality is, we are going to have THREE QBs on the roster anyway. Not like if we sign Delhomme we are going to drop Quinn. Sheeeeeesh.

John Elway will do what he can, but as the GM he can NOT be the teacher/mentor to the QB everyday at practice. He can't/won't be in the film room every evening. He won't/can't be at every practice. He can't help Tebow on the sidelines during games.

As a young player, it would be good to a veteran...calming...experienced player to come up to you and keep you focused, mention some things to look for, mention to you what kind of defense they are playing and the in's/out's of that defense... maybe remind you of certain reads you were to be looking for that was discussed over game-planning.

Why is it so terrifying to have a veteran QB on the roster? What is the fear some have?

Seriously. Unless you have some irrational fear that Fox would start Delhomme regardless of who the best QB is just because of their past in Carolina (which is ridiculous) or that Delhomme will actually outplay Tebow and Quinn and become the starter (which I find very unlikely) I'm not sure what you would see the downside of Delhomme being brought in as the QB3/mentor being.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm not afraid of Delhomme being signed, I just don't want it to happen and really don't see the benefit. There are plenty of QBs who have been around the league awhile, no need to bring in one as bad as Delhomme has been lately.

The only reason this is being discussed is because of the connection in Carolina. If Fox wasn't our head coach, I highly doubt anybody would be throwing the name 'Jake Delhomme' out there as a possibility.

nevcraw
06-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm not afraid of Delhomme being signed, I just don't want it to happen and really don't see the benefit. There are plenty of QBs who have been around the league awhile, no need to bring in one as bad as Delhomme has been lately.

The only reason this is being discussed is because of the connection in Carolina. If Fox wasn't our head coach, I highly doubt anybody would be throwing the name 'Jake Delhomme' out there as a possibility.

the relationship is one thing but the familarity to the offensive scheme is where it makes most sense.. The "others" you speak of more than likely would be in a disadvantage to Jake D. there..

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Right. We would be talking about a QB that might have familiarities with whatever system/coach that was here instead of Fox. It only goes to reason that we are mentioning a QB that fits, and has worked closely with both our current HC and OC in the past. Thats the point.

No one is saying that Delhomme is the answer to QB in Denver. What we don't get is how Delhomme in Denver is some kind of negative.

I mean, who cares if you think he's "good?" What QB do you bring in as a 3rd QB, and as a veteran mentor, that you feel is "good" to begin with? If he's that good, then he's competing for a role on one of the many teams that are looking for a QB.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah I can imagine Delhomme giving Tebow pointers on the playbook.

"Now see this one here, Tim? In theory, you're supposed to be able to throw it deep enough to hit this guy first or, if you get really lucky, hit this guy right out of his break there. My advice would be to throw it to Steve Smith, otherwise it will just get intercepted."

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 06:59 PM

"Now see this one here, Tim? In theory, you're supposed to be able to throw it deep enough to hit this guy first or, if you get really lucky, hit this guy right out of his break there. My advice would be to throw it to Steve Smith, otherwise it will just get intercepted."

I can't type cajun, but just picture a man that is drunk and from the south...

"OK, here's the play ____________________________, but I can't throw it that far, so Steve...go on a 10-yard in route. Ready, Break."

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Mm Hmmm. I guess Belicheck shouldn't tell Brady or any other player what they should be doing, because he can only talk in "theory."

BroncoStud
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Mm Hmmm. I guess Belicheck shouldn't tell Brady or any other player what they should be doing, because he can only talk in "theory."

I don't see why anyone would want Delhomme here in Denver. He's a garbage QB, no arm, doesn't read defenses very well, and probably has illusions of being a starter... Even a guy like Jeff Garcia would be better than Jake.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't see why anyone would want Delhomme here in Denver. He's a garbage QB, no arm, doesn't read defenses very well, and probably has illusions of being a starter... Even a guy like Jeff Garcia would be better than Jake.

ok.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm glad we got that settled.

TXBRONC
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Stud you don't know if they be a better option. You're assuming that Delhomme would come in with idea that he could compete for the job. But what concrete thing can you base that on? Nothing I'm aware of. How do you know that Fox wouldn't say to Delhomme if you want come here you come here with understanding that you're the back-up quarterback?

I'm certainly not convinced that you're right that Volek, Collins, and Bulger are better options or that anyone of them wouid be better mentor.

TXBRONC
06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I can't type cajun, but just picture a man that is drunk and from the south...

"OK, here's the play ____________________________, but I can't throw it that far, so Steve...go on a 10-yard in route. Ready, Break."

Delhomme was brought in we might get back to having some great comraderiship.

BroncoStud
06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Stud you don't know if they be a better option. You're assuming that Delhomme would come in with idea that he could compete for the job. But what concrete thing can you base that on? Nothing I'm aware of. How do you know that Fox wouldn't say to Delhomme if you want come here you come here with understanding that you're the back-up quarterback?

I'm certainly not convinced that you're right that Volek, Collins, and Bulger are better options or that anyone of them wouid be better mentor.

Ok TX, take out my assumption that they would serve as better mentors, I think it's safe to say they are ALL better actual quarterbacks than Delhomme, as he is arguably one of the worst in the NFL and has been for 2 years now.

TXBRONC
06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Ok TX, take out my assumption that they would serve as better mentors, I think it's safe to say they are ALL better actual quarterbacks than Delhomme, as he is arguably one of the worst in the NFL and has been for 2 years now.

I don't see how Bulger is better option. You wouldn't bring either one of them in with idea of starting. And if they did have to start I hope that would only be for a game or two.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
The thing is, I don't care if he's a good QB. That woudlnt' be the reason for bringing him in. Who here thinks that if we lose our starting QB we have much of a chance anyway? Then, who thinks that if we are down to our 3rd string QB we are going to be any good? Then why all the concern about how "good" some 3rd string QB is when he would be brought into be a veteran mentor/teacher?

If he beats out Quinn, who here is going to think the season is lost because we don't have Quinn to bring in??

BroncoStud
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
The thing is, I don't care if he's a good QB. That woudlnt' be the reason for bringing him in. Who here thinks that if we lose our starting QB we have much of a chance anyway? Then, who thinks that if we are down to our 3rd string QB we are going to be any good? Then why all the concern about how "good" some 3rd string QB is when he would be brought into be a veteran mentor/teacher?

If he beats out Quinn, who here is going to think the season is lost because we don't have Quinn to bring in??

If you need him for 4 games you need a QB that won't kill your offense, and Delhomme will. The Steelers were able to rely on Batch to win some games and kept their postseason hopes alive. I'm not saying he needs to be Steve Young sitting behind Joe Montana, but we aren't signing a "mentor" here we are signing a QB AND a mentor, and Jake MIGHT be a mentor but he certainly isn't much of a QB.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
If you need him for 4 games you need a QB that won't kill your offense, and Delhomme will. The Steelers were able to rely on Batch to win some games and kept their postseason hopes alive. I'm not saying he needs to be Steve Young sitting behind Joe Montana, but we aren't signing a "mentor" here we are signing a QB AND a mentor, and Jake MIGHT be a mentor but he certainly isn't much of a QB.

Look. I don't like Orton as my starting QB, but we know that you've exaggerated just how bad he is. Just like now, you are exaggerating at how bad Delhomme is. We aren't the Steelers, and our post-season hopes are pretty minimal as it is.

My understanding is that you dont' think Jake to be very good at all, right? Then why would he be the #2 QB? If you think that Delhomme is better than our current back-up QB, Quinn, then it seems we would be UPGRADING our back-up QB situation as it is. If thats the case, why do you want to rely on Quinn if you already think Delhomme is better?

When you sign a veteran QB to your roster to be a mentor, thats what you hire him to be. Just as GB did with McMahon for Brett Favre. The Packers didn't bring Jim in because of how good of a QB he is, and Brett was certainly further along than Tebow is right now.

BroncoStud
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Look. I don't like Orton as my starting QB, but we know that you've exaggerated just how bad he is. Just like now, you are exaggerating at how bad Delhomme is. We aren't the Steelers, and our post-season hopes are pretty minimal as it is.

My understanding is that you dont' think Jake to be very good at all, right? Then why would he be the #2 QB? If you think that Delhomme is better than our current back-up QB, Quinn, then it seems we would be UPGRADING our back-up QB situation as it is. If thats the case, why do you want to rely on Quinn if you already think Delhomme is better?

When you sign a veteran QB to your roster to be a mentor, thats what you hire him to be. Just as GB did with McMahon for Brett Favre. The Packers didn't bring Jim in because of how good of a QB he is, and Brett was certainly further along than Tebow is right now.

Dude, Jake Delhomme had 8 Tds, 18 Ints, and a 59 passer rating in 2009 as the starting QB of the Carolina Panthers completing 55% of his passes... Only JeMarcus Russell had a worse rating...

Last year for the Browns he had 2 Tds, 7 Ints, and a 63 passer rating and was finally benched for Colt McCoy...

I think it would be hard to exaggerate how bad he has become. Jake is one of the worst QBs in the NFL now, he has a dead arm and cannot make the throws any longer required of an NFL quarterback. If we are 1 game behind the Chargers for the division lead and we need a QB for 3 weeks, we cannot win with Jake, it's that simple.

I'm sure he's a good guy but this is still football we're talking about.

As far as Quinn goes, after watching him in preseason I'm not sure he's as good as even Delhomme is... I'd like to think he could be the backup but I have no faith in him either. It would be nice to sign a guy like Shaun Hill, someone who can throw the football and keep you in games as a backup.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Just like now, you are exaggerating at how bad Delhomme is.
I know you've said you don't care if he's good or not, but I don't think anybody is really exaggerating how much the guy sucks now.

Over Delhomme's last 16 games (eleven in '09 and five last year) his stat line is:

470 att. and 271 comp., 47% comp. percentage, 2,887 yards, 6.13 yards/att., 10 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and a QB rating of about 61. He also had nine fumbles, four of which he lost.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Haha, looks like we had the same idea but you were a little faster.

Oh well, can't hurt to have it up here twice.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Great. Then we don't have to worry about Quinn being beat out by Delhomme, Jake can do his job and mentor as he could be hired to do, and we don't have to really be worried about dropping down to our 3rd string QB in "hopes" of making the playoffs.

Shaun Hill provides nothing that we dont' already have. You just said in a few posts back that you want a guy that "knows" he's a back up. Can't have it both ways (although I still can NOT figure out how you figure any of these guys just "accept" themselves to be back ups).

If you want Shaun Hill, where does that leave Quinn? You want to keep both Hill and Quinn? What would Quinn provide us? Do we cut Quinn once we have Hill? Ok. Do you think that Shaun Hill would be a good mentor for Tebow??? :confused: So you hire Shaun Hill, and you cut Quinn (because we know neither Quinn nor Hill is going to be a good teacher)... so then who do you hire that you feel is going to be such a better mentor to TT? YOu know we are going to have 3 QBs. Hiring Shaun Hill and keeping Quinn just doesn't make any sense.

Jake's performance on the field has nothing to do with him being a mentor, and thats as far as ANYONE has talked about his role on this team. Perhaps if you realize no one is asking for Jake to actually play, you would see the benefit a player like Delhomme could provide. The problem is, you keep making statements like people are suggesting Delhomme be the back-up to Tebow. NO ONE has suggested that, OTHER than you.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
I know you've said you don't care if he's good or not, but I don't think anybody is really exaggerating how much the guy sucks now.

Over Delhomme's last 16 games (eleven in '09 and five last year) his stat line is:

470 att. and 271 comp., 47% comp. percentage, 2,887 yards, 6.13 yards/att., 10 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and a QB rating of about 61. He also had nine fumbles, four of which he lost.

Again.. I don't care how bad Delhomme played because I'm not looking for him to start. Who cares if he's not the player he use dto be? Just as I said before, the Packers didn't hire McMahon because he was a "good" QB. Farve was further along than Tebow is, yet they hired a "mentor" for Brett. Did McMahon ever play? did they want him to? No to both questions.

So again. Who cares if Delhomme isn't a good QB. I'm not looking for him to be the starter or the 2nd.

NorCalBronco7
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Although I understand what your trying to say, if the Broncos sign a mentor/backup, hes expected to produce on the field when called on. And if hes a great mentor but a horrible football player, then he doesnt deserve to be anywhere the team.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Jake's performance on the field has nothing to do with him being a mentor
I completely agree. I guess I'm waiting for you to explain just what makes you think he'll be such a great mentor.

NorCalBronco7
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Again.. I don't care how bad Delhomme played because I'm not looking for him to start. Who cares if he's not the player he use dto be? Just as I said before, the Packers didn't hire McMahon because he was a "good" QB. Farve was further along than Tebow is, yet they hired a "mentor" for Brett. Did McMahon ever play? did they want him to? No to both questions.

So again. Who cares if Delhomme isn't a good QB. I'm not looking for him to be the starter or the 2nd.

Oh I get it. Jake as the mentor 3rd string bench warmer. Im all for it. Im sure Jake isnt, though.

TXBRONC
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM

There are very few back-up quarterbacks in the League that I would starting a lot games if need be.

BroncoStud
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Great. Then we don't have to worry about Quinn being beat out by Delhomme, Jake can do his job and mentor as he could be hired to do, and we don't have to really be worried about dropping down to our 3rd string QB in "hopes" of making the playoffs.

Shaun Hill provides nothing that we dont' already have. You just said in a few posts back that you want a guy that "knows" he's a back up. Can't have it both ways (although I still can NOT figure out how you figure any of these guys just "accept" themselves to be back ups).

If you want Shaun Hill, where does that leave Quinn? You want to keep both Hill and Quinn? What would Quinn provide us? Do we cut Quinn once we have Hill? Ok. Do you think that Shaun Hill would be a good mentor for Tebow??? :confused: So you hire Shaun Hill, and you cut Quinn (because we know neither Quinn nor Hill is going to be a good teacher)... so then who do you hire that you feel is going to be such a better mentor to TT? YOu know we are going to have 3 QBs. Hiring Shaun Hill and keeping Quinn just doesn't make any sense.

Jake's performance on the field has nothing to do with him being a mentor, and thats as far as ANYONE has talked about his role on this team. Perhaps if you realize no one is asking for Jake to actually play, you would see the benefit a player like Delhomme could provide. The problem is, you keep making statements like people are suggesting Delhomme be the back-up to Tebow. NO ONE has suggested that, OTHER than you.

That's the point though, how many people here have ANY confidence in the Broncos chances if Quinn has to start games for us? I know I don't... He looked like he belonged on the cast of "Lost" with his preseason performance last year.

If we go into 2011 with Delhomme and Quinn as the backups we had better PRAY (pun intended) that Tebow doesn't get hurt.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh I get it. Jake as the mentor 3rd string bench warmer. Im all for it. Im sure Jake isnt, though.

Ok. So I'm supposed to be concerned that Jake tries to win the back-up role?

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Although I understand what your trying to say, if the Broncos sign a mentor/backup, hes expected to produce on the field when called on. And if hes a great mentor but a horrible football player, then he doesnt deserve to be anywhere the team.

True. If we had a young QB on the roster (other than Tebow) that was a "project" (more than Tebow), then I suppose we could use that roster spot on him. But NFL franchises all over the league have brought in veteran QBs to mentor up their young talent. This would be no different. Not to mention, anyone believing that if we fall to our 2nd or 3rd string QB and we are a good enough team to still have a shot at the playoffs, is MAJORLY colored orange and won't see the reality anyway.

This team is NOT built for the playoffs. Lets form and build a base and realize this, now.

Plus, ther is a HUGE benefit to having a good mentor to your team. If he's in a 3rd QB role but has been a starter in the NFL for 10 years...he's good enough to be the 3rd QB and certainly deserves a spot on the team for filling the mentorship role.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I completely agree. I guess I'm waiting for you to explain just what makes you think he'll be such a great mentor.

A guy that has been in the NFL for 11-12 years? Someone that has started against every team in the NFL? Someone that has traveled through 16 game seasons for over a decade? Someone that has been in the playoffs? Someone that has worked and played with all types of players in the BIG LEAGUES? Someone that has studied with many different OCs, different systems, and learned to watch game-film for 10 years as a starter, against the best defenses in the world?

I'm waiting for you to give me a good reason why you DON'T think he would be a good mentor, and it better be something more than just the "because he coudln't play" junk... since we know that the best coaches in the NFL weren't good players in the NFL.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm waiting for you to give me a good reason why you DON'T think he would be a good mentor, and it better be something more than just the "because he coudln't play" junk...
It's impossible for either of us to say whether or not he'd be a good mentor, unless you're friends with Matt Moore or Colt McCoy. I never suggested that he'd be a lousy one, though.

As for your answer, all of the criteria you gave for why he'd make a good mentor basically boils down to the very first thing you mentioned: length of career. The rest of what you typed after your first sentence to try and make it sound more impressive are simply things that happen once you've played in the NFL for 10+ years (admittedly not the playoffs, but I'll get to that).

If the only real argument for Delhomme is his experience, why wouldn't you hope for a guy who has the same kind of experience but wasn't a below-average to shitty QB his entire career? Possible examples: Bulger, Collins and Volek. All of those guys are players who are better than Delhomme and have a similar amount of experience, including being in the playoffs. Hell, Collins has started almost twice as many games as Delhomme and still played at a much higher level recently. I have no idea if Collins or Bulger still hope to start, but they've each had experience being the backup recently, and it would be nothing new to Volek.

I wouldn't throw a fit if they signed Delhomme in the 3rd QB/mentor role, but I see absolutely no reason why anybody would argue for it when compared to the other options available. As I said, if John Fox hadn't previously been his coach I don't think anybody even considers him as a possibility.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 04:22 PM
I've never even really considered having that type of guy on the roster (mentor QB) as a need, and wouldn't care a bit if we rolled into the season with just Tebow and Quinn. I'd honestly prefer that, as it would give us an extra roster space for some younger player somewhere or free up space to keep a guy like Dawkins.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
It's impossible for either of us to say whether or not he'd be a good mentor, unless you're friends with Matt Moore or Colt McCoy. I never suggested that he'd be a lousy one, though.

As for your answer, all of the criteria you gave for why he'd make a good mentor basically boils down to the very first thing you mentioned: length of career. The rest of what you typed after your first sentence to try and make it sound more impressive are simply things that happen once you've played in the NFL for 10+ years (admittedly not the playoffs, but I'll get to that).

If the only real argument for Delhomme is his experience, why wouldn't you hope for a guy who has the same kind of experience but wasn't a below-average to shitty QB his entire career? Possible examples: Bulger, Collins and Volek. All of those guys are players who are better than Delhomme and have a similar amount of experience, including being in the playoffs. Hell, Collins has started almost twice as many games as Delhomme and still played at a much higher level recently. I have no idea if Collins or Bulger still hope to start, but they've each had experience being the backup recently, and it would be nothing new to Volek.

I wouldn't throw a fit if they signed Delhomme in the 3rd QB/mentor role, but I see absolutely no reason why anybody would argue for it when compared to the other options available. As I said, if John Fox hadn't previously been his coach I don't think anybody even considers him as a possibility.

Yes, all those things listed are reasons why Delhomme would be a good mentor. A guy that has experienced all of it. Obviously the reason Delhomme's name is mentioned is because of his familiarity with the OC's offense and Fox. If there was another coach and OC, and Volek, Collins, or Bulger was as familiar with them.... then THEIR names would be the ones mentioned.

I don't think much of Volek, but would be ok with him. I don't think Bulger is really that much of a mentoring type, and Collins is ok. I wouldn't be upset or bothered with either of them. But the reason Delhomme's name is mentioned is BECAUSE if you want a mentor to help your young QB, why not have one that is already familiar with the offense, style, and play calling of those doing it for your team?

Ravage!!!
06-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I've never even really considered having that type of guy on the roster (mentor QB) as a need, and wouldn't care a bit if we rolled into the season with just Tebow and Quinn. I'd honestly prefer that, as it would give us an extra roster space for some younger player somewhere or free up space to keep a guy like Dawkins.

If we had a more stable QB unit than Tebow and Quinn I would agree with you. Didn't bother me a bit when Shanahan only carried two QBs on the roster.

However, it won't shock me to see Tebow get hurt sometime during the season due to his style of play. He's going to take a BEATING, and one like he NEVER saw in college football. He's going to miss some games. If we only have Quinn as the back-up, I think that will be detrimental.

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 04:59 PM
If Tebow gets beat up and gets hurt you just sign some guy off the street to fill the roster until he's healthy while Quinn starts. I'm of the opinion that Delhomme is no better than that guy right off the street, so I'd prefer to wait until there is a real need for a crappy 3rd stringer before signing one.

FanInAZ
06-23-2011, 05:07 PM

As long as Quinn keeps his helmet off, we're good! :D Eye candy...pure and simple!!

:D We should hire Quinn as the team's public relations liaison so that way you can see him without his helmet on whenever you want :D That will allow you ladies to have your eye candy without us having to worry that he, as the result of injuries to our top 2 QBs, might be asked to lead a 4th quarter comeback drive :D

FanInAZ
06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
If Tebow gets beat up and gets hurt you just sign some guy off the street to fill the roster until he's healthy while Quinn starts. I'm of the opinion that Delhomme is no better than that guy right off the street, so I'd prefer to wait until there is a real need for a crappy 3rd stringer before signing one.

That's what the Cards did back in 2007. They started the season with only Matt Leinart & Kurt Warner as the only 2 QBs their roster; Until Leinart got injured week 5 against the Rams. Then the Cards need to find another QB to serve as Warner's back up in time for their week 6 game against Carolina. "Fortunately" for them, the 49ers had cut their 2000 1st round draft pick at the beginning of the season who had since come back to Phoenix to help his dad with his high school team, Tim Rattay! Warner was promptly knocked out of that game in the 1st quarter after having only thrown 2 passes. Rattay came in and his stat line for the game: 12-24, 159 yards, 0 TDs & 3 INTs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200710140crd.htm

Shananahan
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Nice find, I'd forgotten that part of Warner's career there. Either way, I'd still prefer to risk it. Personally I think Tebow plays at least the majority of the year and if Quinn has to play then I'm already prepared for a lousy QB, so it won't make too much of a difference. The drop-off from Warner to garbage is much steeper than Quinn to garbage.

It really is a damn shame that they didn't extend Orton for two years instead of one.

FanInAZ
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Nice find, I'd forgotten that part of Warner's career there. Either way, I'd still prefer to risk it. Personally I think Tebow plays at least the majority of the year and if Quinn has to play then I'm already prepared for a lousy QB, so it won't make too much of a difference. The drop-off from Warner to garbage is much steeper than Quinn to garbage.

It really is a damn shame that they didn't extend Orton for two years instead of one.

The only find I made was verifying which weeks & Card's opponents were involved. Other than that, I remember that circus & everyone (myself included) mocking the Cards over it. The point that I was making; the Cards carrying only 2 QBs into that season ultimately resulted in Rattay being handed the playbook less than a week before he was thrown into a game. The results were a disaster and were considered to be a prime example of why the Cards were the Cards. I don't want to see the Broncos follow their example.