PDA

View Full Version : Prater, M Thomas, R Harris free agents?

titan
06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
If unrestricted free agency kicks in after 4 years, which is being rumored with the new CBA, this article in the Post discusses who would be affected from the Broncos:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/06/21/if-cba-rules-say-4-years-for-ufa-which-broncos-affected/7682/

Marcus Thomas, Ryan Harris, Matt Prater

Would hate to lose Prater but as the article says I think he'd stay. Ryan Harris looks to be gone. Marcus Thomas could go either way.

NightTerror218
06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
If unrestricted free agency kicks in after 4 years, which is being rumored with the new CBA, this article in the Post discusses who would be affected from the Broncos:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/06/21/if-cba-rules-say-4-years-for-ufa-which-broncos-affected/7682/

Would hate to lose Prater but as the article says I think he'd stay. Ryan Harris looks to be gone. Marcus Thomas could go either way.

I see Prater and Thomas being signed back and Harris getting the green light to leave.

Dzone
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Harris has ankles and feet made of glass.

Buff
06-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Losing Prater would be a huge blow, but I don't think that will happen. He was probably the most consistent performer on the roster last season.

Thomas is a virtual lock to resign after we drafted precisely zero defensive tackles.

Harris is dead weight.

underrated29
06-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I am going to text skdjfksk right now.

*edit- prob should not put her name on here.

nevcraw
06-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Prater would be a restricted FA. depending of course on the new CBA but He probably would be tendered in some way and the broncos could still match.. kickers don't usually get snatched by other teams..

topscribe
06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Prater would be a restricted FA. depending of course on the new CBA but He probably would be tendered in some way and the broncos could still match.. kickers don't usually get snatched by other teams..

That's the way it seems to be shaping up:

UPDATE 7:50PM ET - LJ has an update on the status of the Broncos' potential free agents, and it looks like I erred on Prater and Woodyard - according to LJ, those two players would remain restricted free agents, while Harris and Thomas would be unrestricted. After looking again at each player's profile, I believe Jones' information to be correct and my earlier update to be wrong. Sorry for the confusion, folks.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/details-emerging-on-framework-of-new-cba

-----

NightTerror218
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM

I dunno but I do remember some recent playoffs 2009 where kickers missed a lot of FGs.

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Prater wouldn't be my greatest concern because place kickers are one of the easiest if not the easiest position on a team to replace.

UnderArmour
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Bigger issue: All teams will likely have a cap floor of 90%(or 93% is also being floated) of the salary cap, which will be 48% of the total NFL revenue divided by 32. If we take 2010's revenue, $7.8 Billion(Not sure how accurate this is but we'll use it as an example http://www.plunkettresearch.com/sports%20recreation%20leisure%20market%20research/industry%20statistics ) and apply that, each team has a cap max of $117 million, meaning that we will have to spend $105.3 million on players minimum and apparently so will all other teams. A rookie salary cap also appears to be built into the CBA, so this money will go towards signing free agents and not towards Von Miller.

topscribe
06-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Prater would be my greatest concern because place kickers are one of the easiest if not the easiest position on a team to replace.

:confused:

-----

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 11:25 PM
:confused:

-----

wouldn't

tubby
06-21-2011, 11:35 PM
I hope Marcus Thomas resigns with Denver, but would consider it more hopeful than likely at this point. He is good and I think he could be damn good in a 4-3, for years and years to come.

Just think if he got an offer from TB or MIA or freaking anyone.......i think he's gone.

Denver might have to show him the kwanza. $$

SOCALORADO.
06-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Looks like if the owners are able to get an extra 5% of the labor revenues
in this new deal, they won.
When this thing is finally over, FA is gonna happen real fast.
The bulk of it will be over in a 2 day period.
EFX better be on those phones!

TXBRONC
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM

They say they are ready to go and that they're just waiting for the green light.

Slick
06-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I hope Marcus Thomas resigns with Denver, but would consider it more hopeful than likely at this point. He is good and I think he could be damn good in a 4-3, for years and years to come.

Just think if he got an offer from TB or MIA or freaking anyone.......i think he's gone.

Denver might have to show him the kwanza. $$

I'd like to see Thomas stay as well. I think Coach Fox will be able to help him tap into his unrealized potential.

Sometimes I feel like the few defensive lineman that we have drafted over the years never really received proper coaching at the NFL level.

underrated29
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
got a text back from #*$($&# and she says that prater wants to stay a bronco but money is money and will not turn down a really high deal.

She thinks he will stay so need to worry about prater going anywhere.

NightTerror218
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Bigger issue: All teams will likely have a cap floor of 90%(or 93% is also being floated) of the salary cap, which will be 48% of the total NFL revenue divided by 32. If we take 2010's revenue, $7.8 Billion(Not sure how accurate this is but we'll use it as an example http://www.plunkettresearch.com/sports%20recreation%20leisure%20market%20research/industry%20statistics ) and apply that, each team has a cap max of $117 million, meaning that we will have to spend $105.3 million on players minimum and apparently so will all other teams. A rookie salary cap also appears to be built into the CBA, so this money will go towards signing free agents and not towards Von Miller.

Which I like till her proves himself, and if he produces he can do what other players have and sit out till he gets a better contract (after producing for a year or 2).

NightTerror218
06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I could see the whole EFX team and other coaches with a list of people to call the second the lockout is lifter and FA is open, to get players to come visit and negotiate a contract.

rcsodak
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Teams might only get 1 chance at a player. I can see a LOT of overpaying.

underrated29
06-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I could see the whole EFX team and other coaches with a list of people to call the second the lockout is lifter and FA is open, to get players to come visit and negotiate a contract.

Yup- you know we are going to be real active in free agency because of foxs words..or xanders, or one of them.

They said something along the lines of we are prepared for practice, free agency, contigency if free agency doesnt go the way we want, the games and whatever else.

Meaning they have a free agency plan and a backup to that should it not work out in their favor. They are going to be active in it.

nevcraw
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM

them and about 28 other teams as well...

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 12:42 PM
The real problem with the offseason so far, the newbies in Dove Valley have zero hands on experience with any of these guys especially on D. In most cases they have not even talked to them, they have seen film but in a way different context/Scheme than is expected to be installed.

Folks they are going to be flying blind about who they will need for sure. As they don't know what they have for sure.
I'm hoping they will be able to get a couple of weeks with the existing players before they open up FA..

tubby
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I'd like to see Thomas stay as well. I think Coach Fox will be able to help him tap into his unrealized potential.

Sometimes I feel like the few defensive lineman that we have drafted over the years never really received proper coaching at the NFL level.

There has been zero continuity. 6 different defensive coordinators in 6 years.

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I suspect that all changed in Jan this year.

Hopefully the new regime will STick around long enough for some stability.

SOCALORADO.
06-22-2011, 02:04 PM
The real problem with the offseason so far, the newbies in Dove Valley have zero hands on experience with any of these guys especially on D. In most cases they have not even talked to them, they have seen film but in a way different context/Scheme than is expected to be installed.

Folks they are going to be flying blind about who they will need for sure. As they don't know what they have for sure.
I'm hoping they will be able to get a couple of weeks with the existing players before they open up FA..

Unfortunately, i dont think they will get a few weeks, or a few days even.
I think from the looks of it that the moment this thing gets signed, FA opens and the feeding frenzy begins.
I am hopeful that EFX already have their "feelers" in place and these UFA players/agents are ready for the call. I also dont think that many of the FA players will even go to Dove Valley initially. The deal will all be done with the agent/player over the phone and the contract will then be signed later.

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, i dont think they will get a few weeks, or a few days even.
I think from the looks of it that the moment this thing gets signed, FA opens and the feeding frenzy begins.
I am hopeful that EFX already have their "feelers" in place and these UFA players/agents are ready for the call. I also dont think that many of the FA players will even go to Dove Valley initially. The deal will all be done with the agent/player over the phone and the contract will then be signed later.

You are probably correct and if so lots of the current players will be at a disadvantage because other than a few offensive position coaches no one knows these kids.

Would hate to lose Woodyard even though we get something back for him.
Thomas I think he is the real deal if nit a starter a strong rotational guy but probably not worth elite money and in his case he might just want to get the hell out of dodge because he does not know the new guys from Adam.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Thomas I think he is the real deal if nit a starter a strong rotational guy but probably not worth elite money and in his case he might just want to get the hell out of dodge because he does not know the new guys from Adam.
So you're saying he would want to leave and join a brand new team with brand new teammates because all of the people he'd be working with in Denver are brand new. Makes sense.

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes it does considering all the male bovine excrement that has gone on in Dove valley the past decaee or so. Especially on the D side of the LOS.

I know if an offer from a warm weather city jumped into my lap. I'd have to look at it very strong.

rcsodak
06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
So you're saying he would want to leave and join a brand new team with brand new teammates because all of the people he'd be working with in Denver are brand new. Makes sense.
I took it to mean 'he ain't got no skin in the team'.
Why stick with a 4win team when more money might be had.

NightTerror218
06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
them and about 28 other teams as well...

Yah but not as much as us, since we are considered in "re-building". I can see some RBs looked at, some DT and DE (depth). I could see a possible change of some of our vet DB for some younger vets to to be starters or add depth behind ours. They mentioned they want a quicker, younger, aggressive team and we have an old pack of DBs that were starting and with Cox in the air. I would not be shocked to see some depth added at OL and a vet TE with good hands. I think they have a list and will be ready to go since they said they will be active in FA.

rcsodak
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I see the drafted te's on the 53, so they're not scooped up.
I'll be surprised if many(if at all) O players are added, unless they're UDFA's.

Lonestar
06-23-2011, 07:31 AM
I hope to see some depth added to the OL. What we have is not all that great. So that would-be an even swap. Same goes for DL. Not to mention LB. Looks like some quality starters there but behind them nada.

hamrob
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Prater has it good here. He know's how good Elam's career was in Denver...and will follow suit.