PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith

Denver Native (Carol)
06-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Last night, Rod was on Xfinity Live with Vic Lombardi - I did not watch it, but on the 10:00 news, Vic reran the following, where he said to Rod - "you may be joining the Broncos". Rod said - that is why I was late getting here tonight, as I received a phone call about an open position with the Broncos" Vic ask Rod if it would be in coaching, and Rod said no, not as a coach - he then said something like - "my son is with me now, I don't have the time to coach".

If the position is not in coaching, I have no clue what Rod might be doing.

From Vic's twitter:

If you missed Xfinity Monday Live tonight, Rod Smith told us he may be applying for a job with the Broncos. The more the merrier.

http://twitter.com/#!/viclombardi

rcsodak
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Consultant.....Marketing.......small college scout...

MOtorboat
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
We're getting the band back together!

weazel
06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
well it wasn't a coaching position and he couldnt say what it was in front of his kid, so I'm thinking man-whore...

The Glue Factory
06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Well let's connect the dots here...

Not a coaching position. Rod is a businessman. I'd say somewhere in the business office? Possibly operations or contract negotiations, could even be scouting but I doubt that. Referencing what I interpret as custody of his son would mean he'd want to have more of a 9-5 than something travelling all over the country which would be about as bad as a coaching position considering his son and how much time would be spent with him.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I was hoping it would be more on the football side, rather than the business side. Guess there might even be a possibility that WHEN this lockout is over, even if the position is on the business side, Rod could also work with the receivers during practices.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
"Hot Dogs! Get your hot dogs here"...

No? Why not, he'd be the most popular vendor in the whole stadium... You've never seen so many folks hungry for a hot dog. Everyone would want a Hot Dog from Hot Rod.

Shananahan
06-21-2011, 11:59 AM
This is pretty great news. I don't really care what he'll be doing; guys like Rod Smith are the kind of people you want in an organization.

T.K.O.
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Rod Smith "high-fived" my son at a sehawks game a few years back when the broncos were coming out to warm up !
give him a job:salute:

MOtorboat
06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
:ringring:

RS: Hello.
John Elway: Rod, there's not much in the marketing department today, do you think you might want to go hang on the field with the receivers today?
RS: Sure...

Shananahan
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
"Hey Rod, do me a favor and set up some kind of workout thing with Kyle. No Tebow. And get pictures. That'll really shake things up online."

Shananahan
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I hope it's really just Elway bringing Rod in and paying him to play catch during slow days at the office.

Rod: "You said you had a job for me, John?"
Elway: "Yep, I sure do."
Rod: "Alright, what do you need me to do?"
Elway: "Go long."

GEM
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Rod is doing a lot of marketing for his own businesses. Maybe Bowlen wants some help on marketing the Broncos in this day and age.

Rod, your first mission should you choose to accept....find some decent photos for use in the Mania banner. ;)

FanInAZ
06-21-2011, 11:45 PM
It sounds like a marketing job is the most what RS is applying for, but I would be so happy if he got a sudden desire to go down on the field and give the receivers a few tips.

Juriga72
06-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Dont tell me they are going to be selling Blackjacks pizza at mile high this year.....

BroncoJoe
06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Elway has said he wants a lot of the players from the '97 & '98 teams to be back involved with the Broncos. It doesn't have to be in an official capacity - just be there to help/inspire the players.

GEM
06-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Dont tell me they are going to be selling Blackjacks pizza at mile high this year.....

It would probably be cheaper than the hot dogs. :lol:

weazel
06-22-2011, 01:24 PM
"Hot Dogs! Get your hot dogs here"...

No? Why not, he'd be the most popular vendor in the whole stadium... You've never seen so many folks hungry for a hot dog. Everyone would want a Hot Dog from Hot Rod.

nope.... "Back Scratcher... Back Scratchers here!!!"

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I would think it has something to do motivation becoming the best even if your not physically a beast.
IIRC he was one of the first in and last out of the building if it was not working out, it was film study.

If he could inspire a couple of donkeys to change their ways. We just might get some Broncos out of the deal.

Shananahan
06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Donkeys playing football would certainly help with ticket sales.

chazoe60
06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Donkeys playing football would certainly help with ticket sales.

I've seen Donkey basketball but never Donkey football. I'd hate to be the groundskeeper.

Lonestar
06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Are y'all saying you have never called them donkeys during your fandom.

If not I guess you have nit been fans as long as some of us.

And we all know that we have had dumb asses. Pardon that pun. On the team from time to time thinking they were hot crap in college, were gifted athletes and thought they could get along without the hard work because they were fast or could jump.

Rod was just the opposite a superb practice and workout guy that took the extra steps to become a borderline HOF guy.

Ravage!!!
06-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I've never called my team or players "donkeys." Thats a term I see the Raider/Chief/Charger fans use.

nevcraw
06-22-2011, 05:57 PM
donkey is pretty derogatory if you comapring it to a "bronco".

hamrob
06-23-2011, 11:01 PM
As I understand it, Rod is coming in to be Elway's shadow. In 3-5 years when Bowlen sells the team to Elway, Rod will then move into the GM spot.