PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of Posting Rules and Guidelines- moved from Questions/Clarification thread

Tned
09-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Due to the number of posts in the thread intended for rules questions/clarifications that were instead stating opinions about how the rules were created, morality of the rules, whether cursing on forums is appropriate, etc., I have moved those posts to this thread and this will be the place to voice opinions of that type.

The Questions/Clarifications thread should be used for questions and a need for clarification of specific rules.

LordTrychon
09-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I know I told a few of you I won't be posting here.

Sorry for breaking my word.

(for the record, this is not in anyway related to any other activities elsewhere... I have been contemplating this for days)

I have been waiting since this site's inception to see what rules this wonderful group would come up with to define how their boards would be run. The initial idea was to allow the community to decide how this place would exist. I could and would if asked argue the wisdom in that in another thread, but in theory it's exciting and itriguing. Having moderated before and having fielded many complaints myself, I was curious how this particular community would set itself. What it wanted, etc... now having the ability to decide for itself.

I don't know who sat down and set up these rules... the Jedi counsil, Admin, the mods, or all of the above or some other combination.

I understand why you put together a steering comittee of sorts. You can't have a discussion between 400 members and be productive. A republic rather than true democracy. Very American.

I do think that maybe a fair amount of feedback should have been asked for or given from the entire populace at the original state of what rules to apply here, as that's a one time thing, and this is the only chance for them to guide that part of the forum. Maybe that happened and I didn't know... in which case I'm sorry I brought it up.

I am however surprised that there's no posts in this thread. Everyone was happy with the idea of driving this forum and giving input to help shape it. Yet the rules go up and nobody has any comment pro or con? I'm honestly shocked. I was partially waiting to respond to see if anyone would get around to questions or support here.

Does nobody else have comment on the way this place is set up?

I'm not even planning on being a regular poster on this site, and I feel like I have to throw my 2 cents in.

9. Moderators decision's are NOT to be questioned in public. If a moderator closes a thread, do not start another one with the same topic. If you have a question for a moderator on a decision, you can send a PM and discuss it privately. We all may not see things the same way, we do understand that. Please understand, we do things we think are right for the site but are approachable.

I think this is a mistake.

I can understand that it gets old seeing threads about why a thread was closed or deleted. I can understand not wanting to even respond. I can understand making policy against moderators commenting publicly about policy decisions or disciplanary action.

But to say that Moderators cannot be questioned in public? You don't have to respond, heck... you even have the ability to delete their public comment if you feel they are going over the line.

If this forum is supposed to exist to be for the members and driven by the members, the way it's ran should be allowed to be talked about publically. I'm not saying that you have to be put up with childish attacks calling the administration clowns. You don't even have to respond if you don't want to. Just don't make it against the rules to talk about what's going on.

Like I said... I'm not now, nor will I likely ever be a regular poster on this forum. My opinion doesn't really matter.

But the rest of the Boards' should. I'm surprised nobody's spoken up.

/rant. You can delete this now.

Tned
09-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I know I told a few of you I won't be posting here.

Sorry for breaking my word.

(for the record, this is not in anyway related to any other activities elsewhere... I have been contemplating this for days)

I have been waiting since this site's inception to see what rules this wonderful group would come up with to define how their boards would be run. The initial idea was to allow the community to decide how this place would exist. I could and would if asked argue the wisdom in that in another thread, but in theory it's exciting and itriguing. Having moderated before and having fielded many complaints myself, I was curious how this particular community would set itself. What it wanted, etc... now having the ability to decide for itself.

I don't know who sat down and set up these rules... the Jedi counsil, Admin, the mods, or all of the above or some other combination.

I understand why you put together a steering comittee of sorts. You can't have a discussion between 400 members and be productive. A republic rather than true democracy. Very American.

I do think that maybe a fair amount of feedback should have been asked for or given from the entire populace at the original state of what rules to apply here, as that's a one time thing, and this is the only chance for them to guide that part of the forum. Maybe that happened and I didn't know... in which case I'm sorry I brought it up.

I am however surprised that there's no posts in this thread. Everyone was happy with the idea of driving this forum and giving input to help shape it. Yet the rules go up and nobody has any comment pro or con? I'm honestly shocked. I was partially waiting to respond to see if anyone would get around to questions or support here.

Does nobody else have comment on the way this place is set up?

I'm not even planning on being a regular poster on this site, and I feel like I have to throw my 2 cents in.

I think this is a mistake.

I can understand that it gets old seeing threads about why a thread was closed or deleted. I can understand not wanting to even respond. I can understand making policy against moderators commenting publicly about policy decisions or disciplanary action.

But to say that Moderators cannot be questioned in public? You don't have to respond, heck... you even have the ability to delete their public comment if you feel they are going over the line.

If this forum is supposed to exist to be for the members and driven by the members, the way it's ran should be allowed to be talked about publically. I'm not saying that you have to be put up with childish attacks calling the administration clowns. You don't even have to respond if you don't want to. Just don't make it against the rules to talk about what's going on.

Like I said... I'm not now, nor will I likely ever be a regular poster on this forum. My opinion doesn't really matter.

But the rest of the Boards' should. I'm surprised nobody's spoken up.

/rant. You can delete this now.

I certainly don't want to delete it and appreciate the feedback. I have also been surprised that there have been no comments up to this point. The rules were agreed upon by the board, and put up because we needed a starting point. I fully expected feedback and as any specific feedback came up, like yours, we would then initiate discussion on any specific points, as needed.

Anyone that has worked in a team environment, especially team editing, in the workplace knows how challenging it is. Coming up with this setup of rules and guidelines actually took quite a while.

So, I have been checking this thread every day, waiting for some feedback and hopefully you started that ball rolling.

LordTrychon
09-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I certainly don't want to delete it and appreciate the feedback. I have also been surprised that there have been no comments up to this point. The rules were agreed upon by the board, and put up because we needed a starting point. I fully expected feedback and as any specific feedback came up, like yours, we would then initiate discussion on any specific points, as needed.

Anyone that has worked in a team environment, especially team editing, in the workplace knows how challenging it is. Coming up with this setup of rules and guidelines actually took quite a while.

So, I have been checking this thread every day, waiting for some feedback and hopefully you started that ball rolling.

Thanks Tned. I hope some people read and respond. I'll stop in now and then to see if anyone has any comments to me. I love the posters here, and hope for the best for all of you... that's why I even bothered to stop in.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
LT - we appreciate your feedback, as well as any other feedback. These rules/guidelines are not set in stone, and as tned said, we felt we needed to get them posted, and welcome all feedback from members, which will definitely be considered.

LordTrychon
09-15-2007, 05:43 PM
LT - we appreciate your feedback, as well as any other feedback. These rules/guidelines are not set in stone, and as tned said, we felt we needed to get them posted, and welcome all feedback from members, which will definitely be considered.

Thanks for not banning me Carol. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for not banning me Carol. ;)

Oh LT - you have a long ways to go - you only have 1,000 infraction points, and you need 2,000 to get banned :rolleyes:

Of course, I am joking, but no reason to ban you - YET:laugh:

dogfish
09-23-2007, 01:10 AM
i'm a dummy, i just noticed this. . . :lol:

trych, the forums homepage has been re-arranged once if not several times, so those of us who jump right into GD may take a while to find and read this kinda stuff-- i'll read it sometime next week, and provide feedback if i have any. . . but i would say that you have to start somewhere, and i for one don't object to them setting up an initial rule structure, as long as it's open to change at a latter date. . .

also. . . feel free to stop by and post if you feel like it, regardless of what you may have said in the past. . . i clearly can't speak for everyone, but i know i can speak for quite a few in saying that, while you mods took a good number of hits over on BM (a lot of them blatantly unfair, IMO), plenty of us still appreciate the time you donated to that site-- i think most people would welcome you over here, and if a few don't. . . tough!

oh, and tned. . . i think this forum should probably be moved to the top of the homepage, so newbies to the site will see it before they jump in feetfirst and start posting god knows what atrocities. . . . :ahhhhh:

:laugh:

topscribe
09-23-2007, 04:55 AM
i'm a dummy, i just noticed this. . . :lol:

trych, the forums homepage has been re-arranged once if not several times, so those of us who jump right into GD may take a while to find and read this kinda stuff-- i'll read it sometime next week, and provide feedback if i have any. . . but i would say that you have to start somewhere, and i for one don't object to them setting up an initial rule structure, as long as it's open to change at a latter date. . .

also. . . feel free to stop by and post if you feel like it, regardless of what you may have said in the past. . . i clearly can't speak for everyone, but i know i can speak for quite a few in saying that, while you mods took a good number of hits over on BM (a lot of them blatantly unfair, IMO), plenty of us still appreciate the time you donated to that site-- i think most people would welcome you over here, and if a few don't. . . tough!

oh, and tned. . . i think this forum should probably be moved to the top of the homepage, so newbies to the site will see it before they jump in feetfirst and start posting god knows what atrocities. . . .

:laugh:
Cosigned! :2thumbs:

Oh, and thanks for the interest you're taking in this board, Dogfish. It is
great to have a quality poster such as you so active here. :beer:

Tned
09-23-2007, 07:21 AM

I agree 100% and believe the vast, vast majority of other posters would also agree.

oh, and tned. . . i think this forum should probably be moved to the top of the homepage, so newbies to the site will see it before they jump in feetfirst and start posting god knows what atrocities. . . . :ahhhhh:

Good point. Until yseterday, I had it at top near the "news feed", but moved it into the Town Hall when I made the other forum structure changes. I might need to move it bac.

OB
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Rules were made for one reason and one reason only.............

..to be BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

OB
09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Although I feel some of the rules are a bit strict for a board that was supposed to be by the people, for the people, I will abide by them (as well as i can ;) ) to my best abilities for I feel it is an honor to be here - not a right - and if I dont like something than I can get the _____ out :salute:

I would like to make one suggestion though -

Delete any and all threads that the thread starter states "I was just joking - i wanted to see what you were going to say"

Personally, I find that very annoying - just my :2cents:

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Please post in this thread any questions or clarification you may need regarding the posting rules and guidelines.

When replying, please indicate if your question pertains to the Rules or Guidelines section, and post the corresponding number.

I dont like when I start a thread and mention something someone shoots back at me with a comment so i try to state my point..then i get warned by a mont. that they do not stand for this and can get me banned..WHY?????
i am going to affend myself..let us have a little play time..

SR
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I dont like when I start a thread and mention something someone shoots back at me with a comment so i try to state my point..then i get warned by a mont. that they do not stand for this and can get me banned..WHY?????

Examples?

One thing so far about this site that I like and hope stays is that there are less people here than the Mane and BM. It feels like a more tight knit group and quite a bit higher quality. It seems more laid back here and that is one thing that I hope stays. Yes, there are younger people here, but there are probably other websites that they visit that are probably quite a bit more vulgar and obscene than this board. I thing the language filters ought to be loosened up a little (but not to the point where the big obsceneties are allowed) and I also think that a little more loose moderation would probably be good just so people don't think of mods as the enemy...

topscribe
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Who threatened you with a ban and where?

-----

SR
09-24-2007, 04:26 PM

-----

Sure as heck wasn't me. I haven't threatened anyone at all.

Top...I'm going to ban you.

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 04:32 PM

-----

said you can close this thread in a heart-beat for being personal which i was not being I dont know why you thought i was but I was not...
thats one thing I dont like i was not using bad words or threating at all no-one...but i got the comment which was rude the way i see it saying''I can close this thread in a heart beat for being personal...but i was not..

SR
09-24-2007, 04:34 PM
said you can close this thread in a heart-beat for being personal which i was not being I dont know why you thought i was but I was not...
thats one thing I dont like i was not using bad words or threating at all no-one...but i got the comment which was rude the way i see it saying''I can close this thread in a heart beat for being personal...but i was not..

You were headed down the personal path. I just read that in the "Shanny made the right call on 4th" thread. Top wasn't threatening you, he was just letting you know that if you continued to get personal the thread would be closed. As a mod, it is our job to make sure there are no personal attacks and/or name calling, etc.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
In this post http://broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21662&postcount=8,
you said, "your the coach next week you call the plays...if you can do better."

That was not making the issue the topic; that was making the other poster the topic.
As I said, if you disagree, then explain why you do. That was not such an explanation.

We cannot tolerate getting personal. That is not "fun" to the other poster.

-----

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Although I feel some of the rules are a bit strict for a board that was supposed to be by the people, for the people, I will abide by them (as well as i can ;) ) to my best abilities for I feel it is an honor to be here - not a right - and if I dont like something than I can get the _____ out :salute:

I would like to make one suggestion though -

Delete any and all threads that the thread starter states "I was just joking - i wanted to see what you were going to say"

Personally, I find that very annoying - just my :2cents:

Personally I hope you never feel that way OB.

Tned
09-25-2007, 07:07 AM

OB, we had to start someplace. As you can imagine, trying to edit a set of rules with six or seven people is extremely hard, trying to do it with 100+ would have been impossible, so we had to start someplace. The advisory board reviewed rules from other forums, thought about what we had seen as problems in the past, and created a set of rules, so our mods would have something to work with, and our members would have some guidelines to go by.

However, as is the case with everything here, nothing is off the table to talk about. If there is a specific rule that we need to talk about or revisit, then we will do so. That doesn't mean if one person says, I think we should be able to drop the F-bomb at will, we are going to change the rules to allow that, but it does mean we will listen and consider all suggestions and feedback.

If appropriate, we will use the forums in the Town Hall to discuss, propose and finalize changes to forums.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Well, I'm disappointed in how this site turned out, but only in the sense that the posters were not allowed to dictate the rules.

Instead of a fresh, new Broncos-oriented site where one could express their opinions honestly and bluntly as advertised originally, and possiibly even engage in a little risque' political and religious debate, this site is just another politically correct forum, that is probably over the top PC, and moderated by Christian extremists (In my opinion) that can't differentiate between the offense one takes at an occasional obscenity and the offense one takes when they are chastised or mocked, directly or subtlely, for their political or religious views, or even insulted due to their age and/or perceived limited intelligence. Obviously (to most individuals) the latter is more offensive and a personal attack of sorts to boot, while the former is simply a word not aimed at anyone and realistically should not be found offensive. Oddly enough, that's how the general public of the United States view things as well, which is why obscenities are allowed in classrooms, courtrooms, on primetime television, etc...

Perhaps it's an age-gap, perhaps it's a religious viewpoint, perhaps it's an over-the-top personal moral crusade. Who knows. If the site ever becomes what it was originally stated to be, I'll be happy to invest my time and energies. As it stands, I do not like being handcuffed concerning my speech by individuals that I perceive to be completely out of touch with reality, it just takes the fun and freedom out of the forum, for me at least.

I do love the blue background, but I can't fathom how this site is any different then Broncomania. Regardless, I wish it well.

SR
09-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Well, I'm disappointed in how this site turned out, but only in the sense that the posters were not allowed to dictate the rules.

Instead of a fresh, new Broncos-oriented site where one could express their opinions honestly and bluntly as advertised originally, and possiibly even engage in a little risque' political and religious debate, this site is just another politically correct forum, that is probably over the top PC, and moderated by Christian extremists (In my opinion) that can't differentiate between the offense one takes at an occasional obscenity and the offense one takes when they are chastised or mocked, directly or subtlely, for their political or religious views, or even insulted due to their age and/or perceived limited intelligence. Obviously (to most individuals) the latter is more offensive and a personal attack of sorts to boot, while the former is simply a word not aimed at anyone and realistically should not be found offensive. Oddly enough, that's how the general public of the United States view things as well, which is why obscenities are allowed in classrooms, courtrooms, on primetime television, etc...

Perhaps it's an age-gap, perhaps it's a religious viewpoint, perhaps it's an over-the-top personal moral crusade. Who knows. If the site ever becomes what it was originally stated to be, I'll be happy to invest my time and energies. As it stands, I do not like being handcuffed concerning my speech by individuals that I perceive to be completely out of touch with reality, it just takes the fun and freedom out of the forum, for me at least.

I do love the blue background, but I can't fathom how this site is any different then Broncomania. Regardless, I wish it well.

I think your wrong and many others do as well. The language filters are not there to hand cuff people in expressing themselves, they're there to promote decency. While this site is more member oriented than Broncomania, we still have to take the proper measures to ensure that we are not just a site for adults, but a site for Bronco fans of all ages. We can't just let people run around saying "f this" and "f that".

At 23, I can tell you I'm hardly out of touch with reality, nor am I a "Christian Extremist". I'm probably just a tad more in touch with reality than you think. But, since we're playing a game of assumptions and accusations here...

You obviously don't want to be here so I won't bother asking you not to go, but just know that there are a couple hundred people that are an active part of this message board that disagree with you, which is proven by their contiuous posting here.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-29-2007, 09:20 AM
I think your wrong and many others do as well. The language filters are not there to hand cuff people in expressing themselves, they're there to promote decency. While this site is more member oriented than Broncomania, we still have to take the proper measures to ensure that we are not just a site for adults, but a site for Bronco fans of all ages. We can't just let people run around saying "f this" and "f that".

At 23, I can tell you I'm hardly out of touch with reality, nor am I a "Christian Extremist". I'm probably just a tad more in touch with reality than you think. But, since we're playing a game of assumptions and accusations here...

You obviously don't want to be here so I won't bother asking you not to go, but just know that there are a couple hundred people that are an active part of this message board that disagree with you, which is proven by their contiuous posting here.

Great points SR. When this site was originated, we wanted a site where the members would be able to express their opinions, and have their opinions taken into consideration. However, at no time was it expressed that this site would be a "free for all" - free to use any type of language a member wanted, free to post any type of risque pictures they wanted, etc. If that is what someone is looking for, I am sure there are many sites out there that allow that - Broncos Forums just happens NOT to be that kind of site.

anton...
09-29-2007, 11:07 AM

this is starting to remind me of bmania...

:ahhhhh:

on a side note...

i have never had problems with any rules...

i will always break them, but mods here and back on mania were always very understanding and polite when dealing with my edgy responses...

i do understand that this board is "politically" correct and "christian" influenced most of the time...

but it kinda happens when im dealing with all you smelly americans...

;)

i think we do need to loosen up the word filter...

i want to be able to say *** without typing a s s...

etc...

and i also think we need a member like Mat'hir Uth Gan on the nazi brigade council of decisions...

it seems to me that all the "decision makers" atm are very alike in their way of thinking, and there should be an opposing voice to perhaps provide different point of views...

apart from that...

anton is anton...

:marchmellow:
________
VAPORIZER VOLCANO (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

topscribe
09-29-2007, 11:24 AM
this is starting to remind me of bmania...

:ahhhhh:

on a side note...

i have never had problems with any rules...

i will always break them, but mods here and back on mania were always very understanding and polite when dealing with my edgy responses...

i do understand that this board is "politically" correct and "christian" influenced most of the time...

but it kinda happens when im dealing with all you smelly americans...

;)

i think we do need to loosen up the word filter...

i want to be able to say *** without typing a s s...

etc...

and i also think we need a member like Mat'hir Uth Gan on the nazi brigade council of decisions...

it seems to me that all the "decision makers" atm are very alike in their way of thinking, and there should be an opposing voice to perhaps provide different point of views...

apart from that...

anton is anton...

:marchmellow:

The topic of the word you want restored is currently under discussion, so
you should not have to worry about that.

Our purpose for trying to maintain a relatively clean message board is not to
avoid looking like Broncomania. If we have to look like Broncomania in a
given instance, then so be it. I don't know why it is so important for some
people to be able to use obscenities and profanities in their speech (not
necessarily meaning you). But, as SR noted, the vast majority here does
not want to see four-letter words and their equivalents plastered all over
the board, else they would be posting on boards that do allow it . . . and
they are out there.

I also do not see the problem in a Mod posting a rebuke to any poster who
has disrupted and hijacked threads, because that poster thinks it is all
about himself, and who has personally attacked other posters. Such posters
are not needed here and are under an open invitation to leave. Period.

As I implied, none of this is directed specifically at you. You have been a
good contributor here, Anton, and I believe I speak for the entire message
board in saying we appreciate you. :smile:

-----

Mat'hir Uth Gan
09-29-2007, 02:02 PM

I'm sorry, I must have done a poor job in expressing my sentiments.

At no point did I wish to convey that rampant and unregulated, free-for-all posting of obscenities, was the ideal.

I view a vast difference between an occasional "F-yeah" to celebrate a TD or make a point, and a F-you, you're an idiot". I also view a vast difference between a post that is roughly 300 words in a length, with intelligent rhetoric and an occasional obscenity to stress a point, and a post that is 20 words in length with the objective solely to attempt to curse as much as possible.

The former I view as absolutely fine, and a class A example of how the real world speaks, including judges and the legislature, who make the rules for this nation dictating what is and what is not proper decency. The latter is obviously something that should be moderated.

Regardless, I'm approaching 30, I have my Juror's Doctorate, and perhaps that legal education has de-sensitized me to the effect and impact of obscene language. The law looks at how the language is used and the intent of the language, not just the words. Infact, curse words are not considered obscene language by themselves, which is what my point is, this website lacks the distinction of our own national legislation. However, since it's a private site, they can do this, and I respect (though disagree) with that stance.

Re: your assumptions... I actually would like to be here. I enjoy the site, I enjoy the members, and I actually like "attempting" to debate with Christian zealots, though they get defensive, agitated, and sling subtle insults entirely too easily. I enjoy all that immensely, and I think this site has a great community. The problem is that I feel over-regulated. And the over-regulation is inconsistent with that of the general laws of our society.

Also, in all reality, any individual old enough to be on the internet, knows and fluidly can speak any and all curse words. Therefore, I think the argument : "We want to protect the children from this type of language" is flawed as its not remotely possible, and parents that don't want their children to view porn/truly obscene language, won't let their children surf the internet in general. And the argument" "we want this website to be decent for all ages" is flawed as well because decency does not equate to no cursing, but rather decency involves how one treats others. And there is a lot of indecent behavior in a few of the religious and political threads that involves not one obscenity. Infact, it's my opinion that the individuals one would least expect to be indecent and obscene, are the ones that are making the most demeaning, insulting, and inciting posts.

In the end though, as long as the people who run this board are happy with their product and their rules, then that's all that matters. I wanted to take the time to express my viewpoint since someone took the time to invite me to participate on this website. And I thank that individual for that consideration.

Tned
09-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The discussion that is taking place today is not "Questions or Requests for clarification regarding the rules..." it is soapboxery (not sure if that is an actual word, but it should be if it isn't).

If there is a question somewhere in this related to the rules, let's discuss it. Otherwise, if there are suggestions that someone has for forum changes, a desire to debate the decision making process, or any other non-rule related topics, please create a discussion thread in the "Town Hall Discussion" forum.

FWIW, I don't have a Juror's Doctorate (nor have I ever been on a jury or earned any doctorate) and I am not a christian extremist (although I am not 100% what that even means).

I routinely drop the f-bomb in the real world, but not at work or when around people when I have no idea whether or not it will offend them (which includes on forums). However, when on the golf course with my buddies or in other similar situations, that and other curses are fair game.

I created this forum due to people's dissatisfaction with BM, but more importantly because good posters were leaving the forum or substantially reducing their posting on BM. I didn't want to dictate every rule for the forum, because why should my opinions be greater or more 'right' than everyone else's? So, I implemented the advisory board concept, which will ensure a mixture of opinions. Will it always be perfect? No, but we are doing the best we can, and at times we will get it 100% right, at times 100% wrong, and likely most of the time we will wind up somewhere between those extremes.

When it comes to these rules, we had to start somewhere. We were both trying to form the advisory board, and set posting guidelines, while dealing with a couple posters routinely posting curses. We grabbed rules from several other forums and used them as a basis for creating our own. Are they perfect? Probably not.

As it relates to profanity specifically. We have had a great deal of discussion regarding it. When Anton brought up a ss, we discussed it and decided that the word shouldn't be in the profanity filter, and should be allowed, as long as it isn't used to attack people. So, that will be removed from the filter as soon as I get a chance to do it.

Other specific words that someone has issue with being censored out will be dealt with in similar manners. If someone feels a word is being unfairly censored, than start a thread in the Town Hall Discussion stating the case for why it should not be censored. The same is true if someone feels a word should be censored that currently is not.

The current censor list was created solely by me, because the forum software comes with a blank filter list and we had a couple posters going overboard with their new 'freedom', so since people were reporting these posts and I needed to enable a censor list, I sat down and started typing in all the curses that I could think of. Too many? Not enough? Who knows. The advisory board will soon be reviewing the full censor list, since to date that is one of the few areas that has been 100% done by me. I did not create a list of words that offend me, or words I would never use, but instead created a list of words that I felt 'most people' would prefer not to be used on this forum.

So, as to the opposing views between the "christian extremists" and the "let their be porn and f-bombs on the Saturday morning cartoons" crowd, like with everything else, if we want to appeal to most people, we will have to find a middle ground and land somewhere in between the extremes.

So, now let's all get off the soap boxes and use this thread for what it was intended, QUESTIONS about the rules. Anything that is not a rules questions or clarification please post in the Town Hall Discussion forum. Those opinions and viewpoints are welcomed, just let's keep them in the correct place, which this is not.

LordTrychon
09-29-2007, 07:50 PM
The discussion that is taking place today is not "Questions or Requests for clarification regarding the rules..." it is soapboxery (not sure if that is an actual word, but it should be if it isn't).

If there is a question somewhere in this related to the rules, let's discuss it. Otherwise, if there are suggestions that someone has for forum changes, a desire to debate the decision making process, or any other non-rule related topics, please create a discussion thread in the "Town Hall Discussion" forum.

FWIW, I don't have a Juror's Doctorate (nor have I ever been on a jury or earned any doctorate) and I am not a christian extremist (although I am not 100% what that even means).

I routinely drop the f-bomb in the real world, but not at work or when around people when I have no idea whether or not it will offend them (which includes on forums). However, when on the golf course with my buddies or in other similar situations, that and other curses are fair game.

I created this forum due to people's dissatisfaction with BM, but more importantly because good posters were leaving the forum or substantially reducing their posting on BM. I didn't want to dictate every rule for the forum, because why should my opinions be greater or more 'right' than everyone else's? So, I implemented the advisory board concept, which will ensure a mixture of opinions. Will it always be perfect? No, but we are doing the best we can, and at times we will get it 100% right, at times 100% wrong, and likely most of the time we will wind up somewhere between those extremes.

When it comes to these rules, we had to start somewhere. We were both trying to form the advisory board, and set posting guidelines, while dealing with a couple posters routinely posting curses. We grabbed rules from several other forums and used them as a basis for creating our own. Are they perfect? Probably not.

As it relates to profanity specifically. We have had a great deal of discussion regarding it. When Anton brought up a ss, we discussed it and decided that the word shouldn't be in the profanity filter, and should be allowed, as long as it isn't used to attack people. So, that will be removed from the filter as soon as I get a chance to do it.

Other specific words that someone has issue with being censored out will be dealt with in similar manners. If someone feels a word is being unfairly censored, than start a thread in the Town Hall Discussion stating the case for why it should not be censored. The same is true if someone feels a word should be censored that currently is not.

The current censor list was created solely by me, because the forum software comes with a blank filter list and we had a couple posters going overboard with their new 'freedom', so since people were reporting these posts and I needed to enable a censor list, I sat down and started typing in all the curses that I could think of. Too many? Not enough? Who knows. The advisory board will soon be reviewing the full censor list, since to date that is one of the few areas that has been 100% done by me. I did not create a list of words that offend me, or words I would never use, but instead created a list of words that I felt 'most people' would prefer not to be used on this forum.

So, as to the opposing views between the "christian extremists" and the "let their be porn and f-bombs on the Saturday morning cartoons" crowd, like with everything else, if we want to appeal to most people, we will have to find a middle ground and land somewhere in between the extremes.

So, now let's all get off the soap boxes and use this thread for what it was intended, QUESTIONS about the rules. Anything that is not a rules questions or clarification please post in the Town Hall Discussion forum. Those opinions and viewpoints are welcomed, just let's keep them in the correct place, which this is not.

Question:

So opinions regarding the rules should actually be placed in a thread in the Town hall, rather than this thread? This thread is specifically for clarification only?

Hijack - I love the :defense: smiley! Wow! Too cool!

Tned
09-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Question:

So opinions regarding the rules should actually be placed in a thread in the Town hall, rather than this thread? This thread is specifically for clarification only?

Hijack - I love the :defense: smiley! Wow! Too cool!

This thread was intended for people that had questions about rules or needed clarification, not for people that are upset with the degree of Christianess used to establish them, or to get on a soapbox about how P&R is modded, or to take thinly veiled shots at the mods.

All of those things are worthy of being talked about (probably not shots at mods just for taking shots, but certainly concern over how things are done), but this isn't the place.

This thread should be for someone that wants to know if offering to sell Broncos tickets for an upcoming game violates the No Advertisng rule. Not to debate whether or not the f-bomb is fine to use, because all kids old enough to be on the computer know it.

In line with our charter/mission/whatever you want to call it, we embrace discussion about rules, color schemes and other forum issues, but not here.

SR
09-29-2007, 08:26 PM
As it pertains to our rules here:

I swear all of the time in real life. I curse probably more than most people I know. I've got a very, very foul mouth. But one thing BM (and this board as well) has tought me was that you don't need to say sh*t or drop the f-bomb to articulate a point. Intelligence studies will also note that people who swear excessively often times have a limited vocabulary or limited intelligence to attain said extended vocabulary. I swear because I like to and because, as everyone else is, I am a product of my environment. The flight line is brutal. You've got to be quick witted and armed with come-backs at all time because we're constantly ragging on each other, each other's wives, sisters, moms, girlfriends, etc.

However, you don't need to continuously swear on a message board to articulate a point, as previously stated.

For those of you who have seen the movie "the Man" with Samuel L. Jackson, if you're going to say "f*ck"...substitute that for "f*ckryin' out loud". It works. ;)

LordTrychon
09-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Excellent. A thread for soapboxerilizing.

:ninja:

UnderArmour
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I suggest a rule be added: Men and women who are not attractive must be fully clothed to have their image used outside of the context of discussing the Denver Broncos(unless it's an image of yourself). Pretty much: A no fat chick rule pertaining to images.