PDA

View Full Version : Is is time Shanny gets fired or at least we get a real GM

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I have to ask this question about Shanny getting canned soon
or at least is only the head coach because, since the Plummer fiasco in 2006 (yes I was for this as well) the Broncos are 13-16.

Many things contributed to this, especially years of poor drafting.

We sucked on defense last year and what do we pick in rounds 1-2. Offensive guys :confused: I dont get it.

My pick is for him to stay on as coach with a real GM. Kind of like in Miami. They have made strides in one season with Parcells at GM. Good relationship there.

I would not be sad if house was cleaned but with Bowlen that is not likely to happen. What do you all think?

Day1BroncoFan
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know what would be the best thing to do. I am beginning to wonder about Shannys decisions though.

Has he finally lost his touch?

I voted on "at least we're not the raiders. That could be coming to a theater near us soon. I sure as heck hope not.

G_Money
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Didn't we just have this poll?

~G

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Didn't we just have this poll?

~G

sorry G, I did not go back:lol:

I am lazy

underrated29
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
me too. So i will answer here.

I like him as head coach. i want him as head coach. As a GM, i would like to have a real one. But i dont know who that would be. Honestly, i would like shanny to take control of offensive play calling and head coach. i want bates to learn the play calling, but not do it.

So....

Keep shanny, get a true GM whoever that may be, and get shanny back to what he does best. IE. Offensive Genius!

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 01:59 PM
While they haven't turned into wins just yet, his drafting the past three years has given us a strong young core which we haven't had in a long time.

Even the 06 draft that was supposedly horrible is looking better now if Moss continues his upswing (2 sacks last night).

Correct me if I'm wrong on the contributors we've gotten in the past three drafts.

Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil... Moss, Harris, Thomas... Clady, Royal, Hillis...

If he could have one or two more drafts like that, I have a hard time seeing this team not having serious turnaround.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
While they haven't turned into wins just yet, his drafting the past three years has given us a strong young core which we haven't had in a long time.

Even the 06 draft that was supposedly horrible is looking better now if Moss continues his upswing (2 sacks last night).

Correct me if I'm wrong on the contributors we've gotten in the past three drafts.

Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, Dumervil... Moss, Harris, Thomas... Clady, Royal, Hillis...

If he could have one or two more drafts like that, I have a hard time seeing this team not having serious turnaround.

LT there is some promise but with the years and years of God awful drafts do not make me very confident in Shannys drafting ability, especially on defense were to me the only players that are worth anything are Champ and DJ and ironically both are hurt. Elivis is a good siutational pass rusher and nothing more.

I am just not too bright on the future right now with this lack of direction, especially on defense.

Magnificent Seven
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I think it was all about Cutler. Not Mike Shanahan. Jay Cutler was off for last 2 games due to his diabetes type 1 and pressure. It is all in his head. I think Cutler is seriously stressed.

However, we got worse call from the referee. Brandon Marshall didn't do anything. I looked and reviewed it. He didn't do anything while he was running and catching. Broncos would win if there was no bad call on Marshall. Crap happens.

Az Snake
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Is Shanny to be blamed for turnovers ?
Are Jay's INTs Shanny's fault ?

Penalties and turnovers have beat the Broncos for the last 3games.

The Broncos beat the Broncos.
Not Shanny.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Not Shanny.

AZ not just this week, I am talking about the last 2 seasons where
we have basically sucked on defense and been inconsistent on offense.

Magnificent Seven
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I would love to keep Mike Shanahan because he is brilliant on offense. They need to hire a new QB coach to assist Mike.

They need to hire new QB coach, DL coach and defensive coordinator.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
LT there is some promise but with the years and years of God awful drafts do not make me very confident in Shannys drafting ability, especially on defense were to me the only players that are worth anything are Champ and DJ and ironically both are hurt. Elivis is a good siutational pass rusher and nothing more.

I am just not too bright on the future right now with this lack of direction, especially on defense.

So basically you say 'what have you done for me lately' when it comes to his coaching... but 'what did you used to do 4 years or more ago' when it comes to his drafting.

I know that every time someone goes in the organization, Shanny is 'scapegoating' them... but maybe sometimes they weren't doing their job well? Shanny seems to have shifted who he listened to when it comes to the draft and then ended up letting Sundquist go. Now things seem improved... just coincidence? I guess it's possible.

Either way, I think I have just as much reason to believe that it will continue to turn out fairly well as any other fan has reason to think that he'll revert automatically even though he's done well several years in a row now.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I would love to keep Mike Shanahan because he is brilliant on offense. They need to hire a new QB coach to assist Mike.

They need to hire new QB coach, DL coach and defensive coordinator.

and someone new to draft, especially on defense where basically
very little good has come out of the drafts on D in Shannys time here.

the Super Bowl teams defense were mostly free agents or inherited players that complimented an awesome offense.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Defense has stepped up a bit more when the offense was flailing...

Just not enough. ;)

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
So basically you say 'what have you done for me lately' when it comes to his coaching... but 'what did you used to do 4 years or more ago' when it comes to his drafting.

I know that every time someone goes in the organization, Shanny is 'scapegoating' them... but maybe sometimes they weren't doing their job well? Shanny seems to have shifted who he listened to when it comes to the draft and then ended up letting Sundquist go. Now things seem improved... just coincidence? I guess it's possible.

Either way, I think I have just as much reason to believe that it will continue to turn out fairly well as any other fan has reason to think that he'll revert automatically even though he's done well several years in a row now.

good points but I dont agree on the defensive side of the ball that much.

Northman
11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
For now, i would like to see him only as a Head Coach.

underrated29
11-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey LT........ Ah, rather than side tracking meds thread, i will make a new one, or even better will.........never mind. PM coming.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey LT........ Ah, rather than side tracking meds thread, i will make a new one, or even better will.........never mind. PM coming.

you can sidetrack my thread anytime.

hockey fans only can do that;) :laugh:

jk anyone can, IDC.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM

LMAO. I'll keep my eyes open.

you can sidetrack my thread anytime.

hockey fans only can do that;) :laugh:

jk anyone can, IDC.

Yeah... better hijack now while I still can before the IPs start coming in for it. :laugh:

MOtorboat
11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Apparently, you think its time for him to go, judging off of the choices.

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Not Shanny.

I disagree.

Jay is struggling right now. SOme people might even say regressing although I won't go that far. His development, or lack thereof, is a direct reflection of Shanahan, or whomever the coach is, at preparing him.

I also look at the fumbles, and say that's a direct reflection of coaching. Coaches can fix things like that. Considering it's a plethora of players fumbling, something's missing on ball protection. Teams just don't coincidentally have 4 players that can't hold on to the football.

I also look at the lack of defensive identity as a direct reflection of Shanahan. DO something with the defense. He has tried to patchwork it going back to the Browncos era. It isn't working.

Teams are, in fact, vindicated on the coaching staff. Good coaches, or good coaching work do not have teams that underachieve.

Shanahan's a good caoch, but he is sorely lacking in other areas he is responsibile for, such as GM'ing, and it's starting to creep into his coaching preparation.

Injuries? Year after year? Could that possibly be a reflection from an "easy" training camp, as so many players call his? Teams just don't coincidentally get bitten by the injury bug year, after year, after year, etc....

I've always backed Shanahan. But I am seriously, seriously, questioning him right now.

smith49
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
i for one have never liked the idea of shanny being head coach and gm. in fact, i just don't think that it is the optimal way to do things, in any organization. im not saying shanny has been good or bad at the gm thing, i just don't like to see hc's do both jobs. seems like they take on too much and it usually hurts the team in the end.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Apparently, you think its time for him to go, judging off of the choices.

I picked that he should stay on as coach but would not be heartbroken if he leaves. I just want better and it has not happened in years.

Mike
11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't know. I am getting tired of watching undiciplined football played by athletes that look like they don't care and who don't seem motivated. I love the guy and hopes he gets it together, but if Shanahan cannot motivate the players/coaching staff and come up with a solid game-plan, maybe it is time for him to move on to a new gig.

I expected another rough season, but I was hoping to see growth and maturity in the team as the season went on...I am not pleased to see the team going the other way as the season goes on. Love Shanahan and think he is a great coach, but after several years of this careless, heartless, gutless football...my support is running thin.

Az Snake
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM

We have more talent now than the past 2 seasons.
The drafted guys LT mentioned aren't too shabby.

Clady has surpassed my expectations !

We've had some unfortunate injuries, but if you take away all the fumbles and picks we would be sitting at 6-1 or 7-0 now.

Agreed, the D has some holes, but the talent in the WR corps alone could put us so far ahead, the D could just pin their ears back plus not be on the field for so long.

Too many 3 and outs, picks, fumbles and penalties.

FOCUS guys !!!

It's a crying shame.
:bummer:

smith49
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't know. I am getting tired of watching undiciplined football played by athletes that look like they don't care and who don't seem motivated. I love the guy and hopes he gets it together, but if Shanahan cannot motivate the players/coaching staff and come up with a solid game-plan, maybe it is time for him to move on to a new gig.

I expected another rough season, but I was hoping to see growth and maturity in the team as the season went on...I am not pleased to see the team going the other way as the season goes on. Love Shanahan and think he is a great coach, but after several years of this careless, heartless, gutless football...my support is running thin.

i really dont want to agree, but i think i have to. i mean, it has been a long time since this team really competed. i give him credit for keeping this team a contender of sorts after elway left, but the last few seasons including this one seem to be going backwards. maybe im wrong and we need to go backwards a little in order to go forward. right now its looking pretty bad though and that is what most focus on, right or wrong.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I picked that he should stay on as coach but would not be heartbroken if he leaves. I just want better and it has not happened in years.

Precisely 3 years.

There's many a franchise out there who would love to 'suck' the way we do.

Az Snake
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know.

Thanks Mike, now I'm even more depressed.

It's such a balance act. It comes down to simple mental mistakes that can throw a game south.

You may be right.

How do you motivate millionaires ?
Spread their wealth !!!
:lol:

NightTrainLayne
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
What if Tennessee had given up on Jeff Fisher a few years ago? Would they be in a better or worse position today?

Hard to imagine Tennessee being in a better position than they are, so that would argue for giving the "tried and true" coach as much time as they need to turn it around. Shanny is leaps and bounds ahead of Fisher in terms of success, but the Titans have stuck with him, and they are being rewarded for it now.

JKcatch724
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I would be fine with Shanny being our coach till he's JoePa's age.

It would benefit us to get a superstar GM who knows what he's doing, though. Especially defensively.

KCL
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
How do you motivate millionaires ?
Spread their wealth !!!

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
What if Tennessee had given up on Jeff Fisher a few years ago? Would they be in a better or worse position today?

Hard to imagine Tennessee being in a better position than they are, so that would argue for giving the "tried and true" coach as much time as they need to turn it around. Shanny is leaps and bounds ahead of Fisher in terms of success, but the Titans have stuck with him, and they are being rewarded for it now.

Yes but did Jeff Fisher draft that excellent defense he has now;)

roomemp
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
We have more talent now than the past 2 seasons.
The drafted guys LT mentioned aren't too shabby.

Clady has surpassed my expectations !

We've had some unfortunate injuries, but if you take away all the fumbles and picks we would be sitting at 6-1 or 7-0 now.

Agreed, the D has some holes, but the talent in the WR corps alone could put us so far ahead, the D could just pin their ears back plus not be on the field for so long.

Too many 3 and outs, picks, fumbles and penalties.

FOCUS guys !!!

It's a crying shame.
:bummer:

I think Shanny has lost each team in the locker room the past 3 years. Players just don't buy into it after a while. Hey they are young, but it is the coaches job to get everyone on the same page. I think it might be time for him to maybe step down.
Lets bring in a new coaching staff to compliment our new young talent.

Mike
11-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Pittsburgh stuck with the Cower as well.

Interesting enough, both of their turn-arounds revolved around great running-games and top-notch defenses. Maybe Shanahan needs to take notes.

roomemp
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Pittsburgh stuck with the Cower as well.

Interesting enough, both of their turn-arounds revolved around great running-games and top-notch defenses. Maybe Shanahan needs to take notes.

Every situation is different. I don't think you can really make a comparison like that and have a really good argument whether to keep Shanny or not.

Mike
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Every situation is different. I don't think you can really make a comparison like that and have a really good argument whether to keep Shanny or not.

I wasn't using that as an argument for or against him. ;)

roomemp
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I wasn't using that as an argument for or against him. ;)

I hear ya. Hopefully the team starts to show some life and makes this thread a mute point

Slick
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I have to ask this question about Shanny getting canned soon
or at least is only the head coach because, since the Plummer fiasco in 2006 (yes I was for this as well) the Broncos are 13-16.

Many things contributed to this, especially years of poor drafting.

We sucked on defense last year and what do we pick in rounds 1-2. Offensive guys :confused: I dont get it.

My pick is for him to stay on as coach with a real GM. Kind of like in Miami. They have made strides in one season with Parcells at GM. Good relationship there.

I would not be sad if house was cleaned but with Bowlen that is not likely to happen. What do you all think?

I love those first two picks. Brilliant. Two Starters... solid ones at that. What more can we ask for? Had you brought up Jarvis Moss I'd be on board. But I can't get behind replacing Shanahan at this point. He is still one of the best coaches in the game IMO, and the best coach this franchise has ever seen. I had low expectations for this year, especially on defense so the way this team has been playing doesn't surprise me. We're so young. We need help in a lot of areas, but I still think he's the right man for the job.

The players have a responsibility too...to have some pride, show some heart. One thing that bugged me about yesterday, and it's happened before, is Cutler's pouting, his body language. This team, especially this offense feeds off of him. When he comes out for the first series and offense goes three and out, he looks like a boy who went stag to the prom. It's pathetic. That needs to change.

Ziggy
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd rather have Clady, who looks to be a franchise LT, than an average to good DE. Shanny took the BPA at a position of need in the first 2 rounds, and they were good picks. I love the way this team has drafted the last 3 years. I'm not ready to write off Moss yet, but even if he doesn't pan out, we may have picked up our franchise RT in the 2007 draft. I'll take a franchise player 1 out of every 4 draft picks any day.

Kapaibro
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
So who do we get then?

East Coast Fan
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Awhile ago I had a thread "how much more patience do you think Bowlen has for Shanahan"? and it appears that others feel the same way going by this thread. I know that I'll probably get slammed for this, but besides us going to the AFC Championship game a few years ago, we have really done nothing since Elway and the Super Bowl "glory days", and let's be honest-most of us guys here on this board could've coached those two Super Bowl teams, especially the 2nd one. When Shanahan came in he addressed the problems back then (which ironically was the defense because Phillips had traded away picks to build up the offense) and he was succcessful back then at "fixing" it, but can't seem to do it now. I know people are saying "then who should we get to replace him" and I honestly don't know, but I really have to wonder how happy do you think Pat Bowlen is with the way this team has been playing for the last few years? He doesn't seem like the kind of owner that likes being "mediocre". Just my :2cents: