PDA

View Full Version : How come we dont work the middle more?

underrated29
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed this? We rarely have pass plays going over the middle. They are all outside posts, or hitches or comebacks.

stokley seems to be the only one to ever go across the middle. But even then its not to often. When our offense is clicking we were running seam routes, quick slants, crossing patterns etc. We would do this and let our athletic wr make YAC. So far all i have seen lately is a 10-17 yard out.

Honestly, i am not so impressed with the play calling. If we are running these plays and they are not working, then fine. For now though it seems like all we are doing is working the outer perimeter and sidelines.

What do you think?

broncofaninfla
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree. Early on, I liked what Bates was doing but teams seem to know how to play his system now.

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Because with Scheff out, we send Graham over the middle and Jay would rather throw INTs into triple coverage than have to dump it off over the middle to a TE that wont be able to break a big play.

underrated29
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
fair enough, but why are only our TE going across the middle? Our WR are really potent, yet we limit them to basically the area between the hash and the sideline. We got a whole field to work with, lets freaking use it.

Peerless
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
We are too damn "pretty" with out play calling, and it sickens me.

G_Money
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Stupidity or cowardice. I haven't decided which, but since Marshall and Royal aren't exactly shrinking violets I'm thinking it's stupidity.

~G

jrelway
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
its obvious we need scheff back. hes just so freakin injury prone.

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
fair enough, but why are only our TE going across the middle? Our WR are really potent, yet we limit them to basically the area between the hash and the sideline. We got a whole field to work with, lets freaking use it.

Who knows, but this is why I wanted Hillis at the TE spot so he could run up the middle of the field to catch passes. Instead we flank him at the wideout position and throw curls or outs to him. It still seemed to work, but I think if we had a threat running down the middle of the field it would open our receivers up. It only worked for Hillis because Miami wasn't paying him any attention.

Even Stokely was running his routes near the sideline most of the game.

What the playcalling and scheming has regressed to is simply mindboggling. I doubt many of us expected stellar defensive scheming this season, but I dont think ANY of us thought our offensive playcalling would become so bland and predictable after what we witnessed in the first three weeks.

This coaching staff needs to get it together IMO.

NightTrainLayne
11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Perhaps the coaching staff isn't confident in Cutler throwing in the middle of the field? God knows he has plenty of interceptions as it is.

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Perhaps the coaching staff isn't confident in Cutler throwing in the middle of the field? God knows he has plenty of interceptions as it is.

If the coaching staff doesnt have confidence in Cutler, I'm sure Jay can let them borrow some of his.

Slick
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Has anyone else noticed this? We rarely have pass plays going over the middle. They are all outside posts, or hitches or comebacks.

stokley seems to be the only one to ever go across the middle. But even then its not to often. When our offense is clicking we were running seam routes, quick slants, crossing patterns etc. We would do this and let our athletic wr make YAC. So far all i have seen lately is a 10-17 yard out.

Honestly, i am not so impressed with the play calling. If we are running these plays and they are not working, then fine. For now though it seems like all we are doing is working the outer perimeter and sidelines.

What do you think?

Hell yes I noticed this. I bitched about it in the game day thread several times yesterday. Their corners sat on those routes the whole freaking game. I don't care if Scheffler is out, we still need to utilize the middle of the field even if it has to be with Graham and Stokley. It was glaring to me yesterday.

/rant