PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Rips Slowik's Scheme

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Has anybody watched the post-game presser? Marshall calls out the defensive scheming just as we all did during the game. Marshall said if he were playing against our D he would have 10-12 catches. Says if we keep up with the 10 yard cushions we will keep getting killed by no-name receivers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c28075

Fast-forward to 1:30.

lex
11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I have. It was a big topic at The Mane. Obviously he's right and it doesnt really bother me that he called out Slowik either. This company line nonsense is getting old and serves no purpose when its obvious to most that Slowik sucks.

Tned
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
I was too dissapointed to watch post game stuff, but just watched it. Wow -- on Marshall's comments.

Rex
11-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Funny that the offense calls out the defense when the offense has sucked hind tit for the last 3 games.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Funny that the offense calls out the defense when the offense has sucked hind tit for the last 3 games.

I agree - yesterday was all on the offense

Rex
11-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Maybe Marshall should call out his QB for throwing the ball to the other team 3 times a game.

broncofaninfla
11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree with Marshall calling out Slowick's scheme but also agree that this loss was clearly on the offense. Hillis, Royal and Clady were the only bright spots on offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/marshall.porter.broncos.2.854946.html

Brandon Marshall Trash Talks With Joey Porter

Jawing with Joey Porter never ends well.

Brandon Marshall found that out in the Denver Broncos' 26-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

Marshall, frustrated with his two-catch afternoon, began lipping off to Miami's feisty linebacker.

Porter, never one to back down from a war of words, happily obliged, opening up a spirited dialogue.

"He had me on my game today," Porter said, smiling. "When you're giving me all your attention, I know you're not on your game."

Neither Marshall nor the Broncos (4-4) were on their game, courtesy of an opportunistic Dolphins defense that intercepted Jay Cutler three times and held Denver to just 14 yards rushing -- the Broncos' lowest total in 36 years.

Marshall entered the game as the league's third-leading receiver with 49 receptions, but didn't catch his first pass until late in the third quarter.

The more Cutler looked the other way, the more Marshall engaged Porter.

And Porter loves to chitchat, especially with a restless receiver.

"I didn't get inside his head, we just were talkin'," Porter said. "He got in his own head. He was done. He's one of those soft receivers, where he has to have the ball all the time. If he don't get it, he's going to mope and cry. He did it to himself."

Marshall was seething after the game, upset with both the performance of the offense and defense against Miami (4-4).

He watched Miami receiver Greg Camarillo haul in 11 passes from Chad Pennington for 111 yards, mostly against Karl Paymah, who started in place of injured Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

Paymah was giving Camarillo plenty of cushion -- too much in Marshall's opinion.

"If I was a receiver going against our defense and they're stacking the box and we're playing a 1-high defense and eight in the box, and the DBs are 10 yards off of me, I'm going to catch 10, 12 balls a game," Marshall said. "It's simple. Tighten up the coverage and just play ball. It's simple. It's real simple."

Marshall hauled in a 77-yard touchdown catch late in the third quarter, but it was nullified when he was flagged for pushing off safety Jason Allen.

He took issue with the call.

"There was definitely some contact, but this type of game, this type of environment, you've got to let us play," Marshall said. "It's a physical game."

Allen agreed with side judge Allen Baynes' ruling, not that he expected to see a flag.

"In (this) environment, coming on the road, I really can't expect to get a call like that. We got a call that worked in our favor," Allen said.

The touchdown would've tied the game at 16, the extra point still pending.

Instead, Cutler later threw his third interception of the game to Tyrone Culver, setting up one of Dan Carpenter's four field goals.

The Dolphins sealed the win with a 15-play drive in the fourth quarter, punctuated by Ronnie Brown's 2-yard touchdown romp with 3:08 remaining.

"When we needed to respond, we did," Camarillo said. "That is what a good offense will do -- takes what the defense gives you. We were able to do that."

Marshall wasn't the only player jabbering with Porter -- Cutler tried to engage him as well.

"He was trying to be buddy, buddy at the wrong time," Porter said. "He just was talking ... He really wasn't saying nothin'."

After the game, Porter went in search of Marshall, but he had already retreated to the locker room.

"He went from not talking to me to wanting to talk to me every play," Porter said. "He's one of those guys that if he don't get the ball in the first two series in the first quarter, he's out of it. He had 18 catches in a game before. So, he's not used to going the whole first half with no balls. We got in his head and he pretty much was done."

BroncoJoe
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10883258

Marshall runs a down and pout

In the face of a bitter defeat, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall turned and ran.

Is that how a winner acts?

Or did Marshall quit?

"He's one of those soft receivers where he has to have the ball all the time. If he don't get it, he's going to mope and cry," Miami linebacker Joey Porter said Sunday.

If you believe Porter, one of the main reasons the Dolphins upset Denver 26-17 Sunday is because the visitors got in the face of Marshall and messed with his mind until the young receiver cracked.

"We got in his head, and he pretty much was done," said Porter, who insisted Marshall psyched himself right out of the game.

Faced with the harsh reality of the final score, frustrated by a lousy individual performance, victimized by a bad call that nullified a touchdown catch and dissed by smack talk for which he had no response, Marshall quickly bolted off the field and into the stadium tunnel leading to the Denver locker room.

On a reeling Denver team that has dropped four of five decisions after a 3-0 start, it's fair to ask:

Is Marshall mentally tough enough to lead the Broncos out of this mess?

"I'm definitely disappointed," admitted Marshall, credited with only two catches for 27 yards against the Dolphins. "Definitely frustrated."

And it showed.

"I went looking for him after the game, but he ran to the locker room," said Porter, who loves to talk trash and has the Pro Bowl credentials to back up his sharp tongue.

Did Porter actually try to track down Marshall?

"Yeah, how do you know I seen that he was the first one off the field? I was looking for him. And he was the first one out of there," said the 31-year- old Colorado State alum.

As defenses have gotten tougher on Marshall and his receiving numbers have gone in steady decline, opponents now see how he pouts. It's a sign of vulnerability no player can afford in the NFL.

"I'm not selfish, but I'm a wide receiver," Marshall said. "I'm not asking for the ball every play, but I would love for us to throw every play."

From the anger with which Marshall snapped the chinstrap off his helmet when his 77-yard touchdown catch was wiped out by a pass interference penalty that appeared incorrect, to the way quarterback Jay Cutler trudges back to the bench after another ineffective set of downs by an offense that has lost its mojo, the body language of Denver's young stars too often suggests they are beaten men.

Porter knows any player capable of catching 18 passes in a single game is talented. But here's his advice to Marshall: Grow up.

Rather than taking the double-coverage the Dolphins used to blanket Marshall as a compliment, he got so mad that Porter detected an undeniable loss of composure.

If Marshall comes unglued, how can we expect the Broncos to keep it together, even in the AFC West, the division that makes a parody of parity? The team needs Marshall to lead, not whine.

During a break in the action before the fourth quarter began, Porter broke away from Miami's defensive huddle to shout across the line of scrimmage at Marshall, until he could no longer ignore the abuse.

It was a pitiful sight for a Broncos team that now appears too immature and emotionally fragile to handle the pressure of a league that shows no mercy for the weak or wounded.

"Once I know you're frustrated, I'm going to ride you all the way into the dirt," Porter said.

"I seen he was frustrated, because he went from not talking

If this is where this Denver team comes undone, then we will remember it as the sad scene where the season faded to black.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2008/1102/20081102_114702_ChartKiszla110308.jpg

G_Money
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Brandon Marshall isn't the problem. He may be mouthy, but he's Shannon-Sharpe mouthy: he talks a lot before, during and after games and is very emotional, but he gives it 110% on the field.

He's not one of those wideouts who starts giving 30% effort while he's pouting. Marshall might pout but he'll do it while running his routes hard and blocking for the run game.

I'm okay with that.

He has an opinion? That's fine. He wishes other defenses were as generous to him as we are to their wide receivers? I can understand that.

I don't think he should open his mouth about it, but as we were told over the bye that defensive players were openly questioning the defensive scheme, maybe Brandon is the only player who can say to the press publically what all the defenders are thinking. This might be his way of sticking up for the defensive players fighting for future jobs in this league, but who can't blame their coach to the press.

Marshall can. And he's mouthy enough to do it.

Brandon will always have an over-abundance of emotion. It's how he plays. I wouldn't take it from him even if I could, as long as he can keep it focused toward being productive.

So you live with stuff like this. It would be worse if he was wrong, but he's not wrong. I'm sure Paymah stood up and cheered the fact that someone was mentioning he was under orders to give that kind of cushion on every play.

When the defense is thinking about free-lancing away from the scheme in the previous game, and the OFFENSE is recommending the defense freelance away from the scheme in the following game, maybe there's a scheme problem.

This loss is still on the O, though.

Marshall just can't give Cutler "constructive criticism" in the press yet - somebody's got to throw him the ball, after all.

Here's hoping we take all our anger into our short week and take it out on Cleveland. This team SHOULD be angry. They've given away games through offensive ineptitude, and the defense is being castrated week after week both by injuries and coaches.

Something's gotta give. Either we blow up all over the competition, or there's gonna be more internal detonations going on.

~G

Davii
11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I see no problem with Marshall running his mouth. As ~G said, he's more Shannon Sharpe mouthy than TO mouthy.

The D probabl doesn't appreciate it, hopefully it doesn't put him in Shanny's doghouse, and hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Marshall needs to shut his yap and play football.

this can not help us right now. :rolleyes:

Day1BroncoFan
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
No one on this team has the right to call any one else out. They need to shut up and put up.

This is the worst I've seen the Broncos play in decades. They don't even make the wins look good this year.

GEM
11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
No one on this team has the right to call any one else out. They need to shut up and put up.

This is the worst I've seen the Broncos play in decades. They don't even make the wins look good this year.

And the saddest part about this whole thing is....

the offense has more talent on it than we've had in years. :tsk: The defense is a bit more understandable.

Medford Bronco
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
And the saddest part about this whole thing is....

the offense has more talent on it than we've had in years. :tsk: The defense is a bit more understandable.

I still dont think we are that talented at RB though.

The other postions yes but our RBs has not been the same since
Portis left us.

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I applaud Brandon for saying it. He was 100% right and I wish more players would speak up against our terrible defensive scheme.

Retired_Member_001
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm glad Marshall made those comments, however, he should have made them after a game when it was the fault of the defense that we lost the game.

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm glad Marshall made those comments, however, he should have made them after a game when it was the fault of the defense that we lost the game.

I'd say a game in which Greg freaking Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards is a good time to speak up about how crappy our defensive scheme is. Sure the D wasn't the main reason we lost the game but the fact that we let some no-name WR whose single game highs in catches and yards prior to yesterday were 6 and 74 is atrocious.

Rex
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd say a game in which Greg freaking Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards is a good time to speak up about how crappy our defensive scheme is. Sure the D wasn't the main reason we lost the game but the fact that we let some no-name WR whose single game highs in catches and yards prior to yesterday were 6 and 74 is atrocious.

I think when the offense puts up 10 points, the offense should shut its mouth...especially after that last 2 games before this one.

Day1BroncoFan
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
When the offense has 12 rushes for 14 yards and 3 turnovers they should shut up.

This was a team loss. When you have team mates calling each other out for losses it isn't a good thing. It's part of the melt down.

They all need to shut up and go into practice and figure out how to get past this not start calling each other out on national TV.

turftoad
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I think when the offense puts up 10 points, the offense should shut its mouth...especially after that last 2 games before this one.

Agreed. Whatever happened to the offense that was supposed to keep us in games by scoring a pile of points because we know our "D" sucks?

Now the whole team sucks. It's a shame.

BTW, the game was close. Why in the hell did we only have 11 rushing attempts by the RB's? That isn't even enough to tell if we could establish the run or not.

We are counting to much on Cutler and he's not comming through.

Ziggy
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
This offense calling out the D? Right now neither has a right to criticize the other. They both suck. Shanahan needs to take controll of this team right now, or we're looking at a 6-10 season.

Day1BroncoFan
11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
This offense calling out the D? Right now neither has a right to criticize the other. They both suck. Shanahan needs to take controll of this team right now, or we're looking at a 6-10 season.

Or 4-12.

Coaching is the glue that holds teams together. It doesn't seem to be there at the moment.

Peerless
11-03-2008, 12:39 PM
About time someone said something....

underrated29
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
The O didnt call out the D. He called out the scheme! I actually thought the defense played a fairly solid game. But seriously, every play they needed to get 8-10 yards, it was camarillo up for 11 yards, then break and come back for the ball.

I was yelling at the TV when they lined up that way. Everyone knew who was getting the ball and the route he was running. Because he ran it atleast 7 other times on us before. Yet out guy was playing waaaaaaaay off and then they get the yards.

Slows scheme sucks. It really does, i held out hope, but I am siding with LTRagger on this one. He has no clue how to have a defense defend the pass.

topscribe
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
All the sudden, I like that guy (Mashall)!!

He will probably get fined by the club, but he tells it like it is. He is only
voicing concerns I have had for the last couple years now.

What's with that eight- to ten-yard cushion the DBs gave the fish yesterday,
anyway? Paymah runs a 4.35 40, and he has to give a no-name that cushion?
The receiver looked like T.O. out there, for pity's sake.

Marshall knows the passing game. Tighten up the coverage, like he said.

Or get rid of some coaches, one or the other . . .

-----

Peerless
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
It all really started with Bailey if you go back....

The whole standing and facing toward the QB with the 10 yard cushion gave Bailey the ability to not only line up on his man, but to look at the eyes of the QB...

Unfortunately, we had a more consistent pass rush back then which gave Bailey the ability to make a play on the ball.

Now, now it's just pure BS.

QB drops back, waits....waits....checks out the time on the scoreboard just for kicks....looks at a fan flipping him of.... and completes a pass to some no name receiver for another first down.

C'mon... These DB's are PROFESSIONALS. Do they think if they tighten up coverage on their man that they are going to give up the big play... EVERY TIME?

Please...

Day1BroncoFan
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
What I'm saying is this entire team needs to be called out, that includes the defense, offense, coaches and anyone else involved.

Pissing on the defense on national TV isn't the answer we need right now.

BroncoTech
11-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I wondered what Brandon was doing Sundays, since he hasn't showed up on the field for three weeks. Good to see he landed a Defensive Coordinator job so close to home.

Read Porter's take on it how he got inside Marshall's head and started a self centered implosion yesterday.

okay so going against our D you'd catch 12 passes, how many passes would you catch if you went against our D and caught passes with your big fat mouth? 20? 30?

Peerless
11-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I wondered what Brandon was doing Sundays, since he hasn't showed up on the field for three weeks. Good to see he landed a Defensive Coordinator job so close to home.

Read Porter's take on it how he got inside Marshall's head and started a self centered implosion yesterday.

okay so going against our D you'd catch 12 passes, how many passes would you catch if you went against our D and caught passes with your big fat mouth? 20? 30?

Well, the past 3 weeks (Games I think you mean) for Marshall have been:

9 catches 98 yards

6 catches 77 yards

2 catches 27 yards

His games have fallen off since week 2 and 3, but he hasn't been horrid like you're claiming.

And **** that article and Jerry Porter. I'll bet big money that he doesn't say the same shit if that 77 yarder for the TD wasn't called back....

Porter is just an idiot...

BroncoTech
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh he has a valid point that Paymah was playing too far off his man, who was slower. However it's not his point to make. He can think that all he wants, but when he voices it then it's a clear lack of discipline.

Watch the end zone replay on NFL.com he pushed off on the 77 yard reception.

Davii
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
I'll bet big money that he doesn't say the same shit if that 77 yarder for the TD wasn't called back....

That was a HORRID call.

Peerless
11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh he has a valid point that Paymah was playing too far off his man, who was slower. However it's not his point to make. He can think that all he wants, but when he voices it then it's a clear lack of discipline.

C'mon..

Every receiver pushes off of their defender....

If that's pushing off... "Clearly pushing" like you're claiming from watching a replay of it... I want to really know what PUSHING OFF actually looks like.

That is just a pathetic, stupid, and LAME call made by the ref.

"scoff" Pushing off..... What is this, the ***** league?

jrelway
11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
i think brandon mouthed off due to frustration. all in all, the offense should be ashamed of themselves, the defense should be ashamed of themselves. the coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves. week after week we turn the ball over and that shit turns into points for the other team. not like our defense can pick up the slack our offense leaves them with. i see an ass whoopin comin from the browns next week. sick of this shit.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-03-2008, 02:07 PM

All of the 3 sports guys on Channel 4 - Vic Lombardi, Gary Miller, and Reggie Rivers stated that what Marshall said in regards to the team is nothing that should have been said to the press, but rather behind closed doors - i.e. team meetings, etc.

dogfish
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I see no problem with Marshall running his mouth. As ~G said, he's more Shannon Sharpe mouthy than TO mouthy.

The D probably doesn't appreciate it, hopefully it doesn't put him in Shanny's doghouse, and hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

i actually think they might appreciate it, as telling he's telling the truth about the "D" being hamstrung by the scheme and not given the chance to make a play. . .

The O didnt call out the D. He called out the scheme!

thank you!

C'mon..

Every receiver pushes off of their defender....

If that's pushing off... "Clearly pushing" like you're claiming from watching a replay of it... I want to really know what PUSHING OFF actually looks like.

That is just a pathetic, stupid, and LAME call made by the ref.

"scoff" Pushing off..... What is this, the ***** league?

yea, he "pushed off" with all of two fingers. . . freakin' terrible call. . .

"We got in his head, and he pretty much was done," said Porter, who insisted Marshall psyched himself right out of the game.

yea, he psyched himself so far out of the game that he was able to burn you for a huge TD. . . dumb ass! porter should shut his hole-- he was done last year, and suddenly he's playing at a DMVP level? yea, i wonder how THAT happens. . . . :rolleyes: if the league really wants to improve their integrity, his number should be coming up for some "random testing". . . .

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Damn, I like that guy (Mashall)!!

He will probably get fined by the club, but he tells it like it is. He is only
voicing concerns I have had for the last couple years now.

What's with that eight- to ten-yard cushion the DBs gave the fish yesterday,
anyway? Paymah runs a 4.35 40, and he has to give a no-name that cushion?
The receiver looked like T.O. out there, for pity's sake.

Marshall knows the passing game. Tighten up the coverage, like he said.

Or get rid of some coaches, one or the other . . .

-----

I don't say this too often but spot-on top! :D

My only problem is that Marshall waited this long to make those comments. I wish he'd have made them after the first couple of weeks.

Rick
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Slowik has a scheme?

Broncolingus
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Has anybody watched the post-game presser? Marshall calls out the defensive scheming just as we all did during the game. Marshall said if he were playing against our D he would have 10-12 catches. Says if we keep up with the 10 yard cushions we will keep getting killed by no-name receivers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c28075

Fast-forward to 1:30.

I didn't see this, but if it's true, he needs to worry more about catching the ball and what the offense is doing...

Everyone here at BroncosForums can worry about the defense for him...and everyone else.

That said, I'd like to know exactly what Slow-lick's "schmeme" is...

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I didn't see this, but if it's true, he needs to worry more about catching the ball and what the offense is doing...

Everyone here at BroncosForums can worry about the defense for him...and everyone else.

That said, I'd like to know exactly what Slow-lick's "schmeme" is...

Do you not think that worrying about the offense is his #1 concern? How in the world do you think that making one comment about the defense in his postgame presser will affect his readiness to play offense? :confused: That just doesn't make any sense.

Some of you are really overblowing this.

Broncolingus
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Do you not think that worrying about the offense is his #1 concern? How in the world do you think that making one comment about the defense in his postgame presser will affect his readiness to play offense? :confused: That just doesn't make any sense.

I don't think anyone on the offensive side of the ball needs to be commenting on the defensive side of the ball...and vice-versa.

But that's JMO...nothing to get worked up about.

-Peace-

MOtorboat
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM

It was a really, really, REALLY bad idea for Marshall to call out the defensive scheme publically after having his worst performance since becoming a starter. Now, if he goes to his position coach and says, "Coach, that's ridiculous...if teams were doing that to me I'd be catching 15 balls a game...you gotta mention it in the meetings..." Then we've got a much different situation on our hands.

With that said...he has a damn good point, doesn't he...

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 07:08 PM
It was a really, really, REALLY bad idea for Marshall to call out the defensive scheme publically after having his worst performance since becoming a starter. Now, if he goes to his position coach and says, "Coach, that's ridiculous...if teams were doing that to me I'd be catching 15 balls a game...you gotta mention it in the meetings..." Then we've got a much different situation on our hands.

With that said...he has a damn good point, doesn't he...

It might not have been the BEST idea but I think it's the most effective way to get the point across. If this doesn't embarrass Slowik enough to try something new this week then I don't know what will.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Sure he'd have 10-12 catches, but how many would he drop and how many would he fumble?

Hypocrite......

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
wonder if someone in slowicks family might report this to Goodell to take some heat off to the D and place it in the press on Marshall having a bad attitude..

If the D was working the O would not have to press so much and pressing as we all know leads to mistakes..

Simple Jaded
11-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Can't agree with you there, that kind of ticky tack penalty is saved for defensive backs.

WR's don't get called for that, look up Matt Ryan's TD to Michael Jenkins against the Raiders if you need further proof, it happens in every game. Hell Michael Irvin made a Hall of Fame career in doing much worse than that......they didn't "Miss the call" against the Falcons and Irvin, they called a penalty on Marshall that they usually don't (Never) call against WR's.

It was a horseshit call......

topscribe
11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't say this too often but spot-on top! :D

My only problem is that Marshall waited this long to make those comments. I wish he'd have made them after the first couple of weeks.

BTB agreed with me. He even Hi-5'd me! :faint:

-----

dogfish
11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd like to know exactly what Slow-lick's "schmeme" is...

pray for rain. . . . :tsk:

Can't agree with you there, that kind of ticky tack penalty is saved for defensive backs.

WR's don't get called for that, look up Matt Ryan's TD to Michael Jenkins against the Raiders if you need further proof, it happens in every game. Hell Michael Irvin made a Hall of Fame career in doing much worse than that......they didn't "Miss the call" against the Falcons and Irvin, they called a penalty on Marshall that they usually don't (Never) call against WR's.

fo real! that piddly little two-finger tap wouldn't have moved a three-year-old. . .

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM

since I did not get the Bronco game I had to set through a couple other games HOU and MIN was one that I got instead of a real football game..

I saw it called 3 other times yesterday in those games and frankly of the ones I saw, this one was the worst of the group the defenders body actually was jolted by the call.. I can see a Bronco fan thinking it was petty but teh others were IMHO worse "bad" calls..

I saw the low lites on the NFL network after that game and it was tivo-ed for the future..

It is obviously being called so it is time for Marshall learn not to use it..

slim
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Marshall is right about the scheme...as a lot of people pointed out in the game day thread yesterday.

However, he needs to keep his mouth shut....keep it "in house"

dogfish
11-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Marshall is right about the scheme...as a lot of people pointed out in the game day thread yesterday.

However, he needs to keep his mouth shut....keep it "in house"

maybe he should take slow-brain out in the parking lot and kick his ass. . . .

Broncos Mtnman
11-03-2008, 08:17 PM
For Marshall to call out the defense in a game where the offense played one of it's worst games is bull. You don't throw your teammates under the bus just because you had a bad day. You don't throw your coaches under the bus either.

These same guys that he called out were supporting him when he was in trouble with the NFL for his baby TO behavior off the field when his very career in jeopardy.

By the way, someone in this thread mentioned how he should call out Jay for playing poorly. Well, he did with his left-handed comment about "being on the same page."

Maybe he should be more like the real TO in this area. Break down crying and defend "your quarterback."

Instead, he just broke down crying and pouted his way home.

Broncos Mtnman
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
If the D was working the O would not have to press so much and pressing as we all know leads to mistakes..

Not in yesterday's game, JR.

The defense was the only reason there was a chance to win the game until the last drive. And while that drive was frustrating, when you consider that our defense was on the field nearly twice as long as our offense, they were simply too gassed to get it done.

In yesterday's game, I would say that if the O was working, the D wouldn't have been on the field that last Miami drive.

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Not in yesterday's game, JR.

The defense was the only reason there was a chance to win the game until the last drive. And while that drive was frustrating, when you consider that our defense was on the field nearly twice as long as our offense, they were simply too gassed to get it done.

In yesterday's game, I would say that if the O was working, the D wouldn't have been on the field that last Miami drive.

Well I appreciate your comments I was unable to watch it as El Paso is Texas and when HOU plays we get that game.. I bought Direct TV and have the east and west coast feeds on it "NYC and LA stations" where they showed the Jets games..

I get the Broncos all but about 2 games a year..

This year I have had to video stream most of the games..

yesterday I picked up a virus on one of the "Steams" and was down till late last night.. while I restored and scanned the afternoon away..

BTW did you get my email?

Dean
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Marshall's comments were ill timed and ill placed.

Making these comments after one of the worst , if not the worst, performance by Brandan was not well timed. He missed passes, didn't run crisp routes, and had a huge penalty.

Many players backed Slowick as the defensive coordinator. There is a good chance players will start choosing sides. How can that be good for a team? Had he gone to Shanahan or spoke his piece at a team meeting, I would be all for him. Directing his criticisms to the media and the fans, people with no power to change anything, is misdirected and likely to be devisive.

In my eyes, what he did was counterproductive and childish. This does not sound like the mature player he professed to have become after his legal difficulties this last summer.

topscribe
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
For Marshall to call out the defense in a game where the offense played one of it's worst games is bull. You don't throw your teammates under the bus just because you had a bad day. You don't throw your coaches under the bus either.

These same guys that he called out were supporting him when he was in trouble with the NFL for his baby TO behavior off the field when his very career in jeopardy.

By the way, someone in this thread mentioned how he should call out Jay for playing poorly. Well, he did with his left-handed comment about "being on the same page."

Maybe he should be more like the real TO in this area. Break down crying and defend "your quarterback."

Instead, he just broke down crying and pouted his way home.

Making these comments after one of the worst , if not the worst, performance by Brandan was not well timed. He missed passes, didn't run crisp routes, and had a huge penalty.

Many players backed Slowick as the defensive coordinator. There is a good chance players will start choosing sides. How can that be good for a team? Had he gone to Shanahan or spoke his piece at a team meeting, I would be all for him. Directing his criticisms to the media and the fans, people with no power to change anything, is misdirected and likely to be devisive.

In my eyes, what he did was counterproductive and childish. This does not sound like the mature player he professed to have become after his legal difficulties this last summer.

You know, you guys are right about how BMarsh complained. The proper
venue is the team meeting, or going into the coach's office and closing the
door . . . one or the other. But there is nothing productive about crying out
to the press about it, and in that I was wrong.

I do have to agree with BMarsh about how they are covering receivers, and
I have felt that way for a couple years. A good run by a RB, for instance, is
five or more yards. So what's the difference in dinking and dunking down the
field, five yards at a time or running for five? When the CB is laying off the
receiver eight to ten yards, that becomes easy. Paymah is reputed as the
fastest player on the team . . . he beat Alridge in a foot race. So why does
he need such a cushion?

Nonetheless, as you mentioned, no one on the team has any business going
to the press about such a matter.

-----

Simple Jaded
11-03-2008, 11:02 PM
since I did not get the Bronco game I had to set through a couple other games HOU and MIN was one that I got instead of a real football game..

I saw it called 3 other times yesterday in those games and frankly of the ones I saw, this one was the worst of the group the defenders body actually was jolted by the call.. I can see a Bronco fan thinking it was petty but teh others were IMHO worse "bad" calls..

I saw the low lites on the NFL network after that game and it was tivo-ed for the future..

It is obviously being called so it is time for Marshall learn not to use it..

Hey if they are going to start calling it, that's just fine with me, I'm sick of the offenses getting every advantage, but in all the NFL games I've watched this season, I've seen it called twice......both times on Brandon Marshall.

They had the exact same play happen in the Oakland v Atlanta game and didn't call it......

G_Money
11-03-2008, 11:19 PM

It's been a problem all year. How do we know Marshall DIDN'T air it in a team meeting and was told nothing would change? It obviously hasn't.

Something very strange is going on. The defense is a couple of steps from mutiny against its own DC. Closer than we got last year, even. When you don't have defensive leaders, that's what happens.

Paymah can't come out and say, "Look man, I didn't want to play off my man like that. You just do what Coach says, and Coach says he wants me to lose the game 8 yards at a time, apparently."

He'll get fired.

Marshall can say it though.

You know what Paymah did say? "Playing well tonight helped me take pressure off myself."

Translation: "I gave up completion after completion doing EXACTLY what I was asked to do. When we go to the film room and try to figure out how that happened, it's not cuz I screwed up, and all of us in the room can look at our coach and know who did."

You know what else Karl said to Camarillo? "Man, I don't know why we didn't switch the defense. It was just giving you the ball the whole time."

Translation: "My coach is a moron."

Slowik's lost his guys. DJ and Champ, our two best defenders are out a while longer, and there's nobody to rally the troops because there's nobody who believes there's anything to rally around.

Marshall calling attention to this fact may be gauche, but it's not wrong.

And the sooner SHANAHAN acknowledges he's botched it again, the sooner we can get around to fixing it.

The more people who blame the right guy (Slowik) instead of the scapegoat (Paymah) - vocally, where people have to make Shanahan uncomfortable by asking him about it directly - the more likely we are to possibly see a change. Maybe even one for the better.

~G

P.S. I hate Paymah as anything more than our 6th DB and a ST guy. Just FYI.

BeefStew25
11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
It's been a problem all year. How do we know Marshall DIDN'T air it in a team meeting and was told nothing would change? It obviously hasn't.

Something very strange is going on. The defense is a couple of steps from mutiny against its own DC. Closer than we got last year, even. When you don't have defensive leaders, that's what happens.

Paymah can't come out and say, "Look man, I didn't want to play off my man like that. You just do what Coach says, and Coach says he wants me to lose the game 8 yards at a time, apparently."

He'll get fired.

Marshall can say it though.

You know what Paymah did say? "Playing well tonight helped me take pressure off myself."

Translation: "I gave up completion after completion doing EXACTLY what I was asked to do. When we go to the film room and try to figure out how that happened, it's not cuz I screwed up, and all of us in the room can look at our coach and know who did."

You know what else Karl said to Camarillo? "Man, I don't know why we didn't switch the defense. It was just giving you the ball the whole time."

Translation: "My coach is a moron."

Slowik's lost his guys. DJ and Champ, our two best defenders are out a while longer, and there's nobody to rally the troops because there's nobody who believes there's anything to rally around.

Marshall calling attention to this fact may be gauche, but it's not wrong.

And the sooner SHANAHAN acknowledges he's botched it again, the sooner we can get around to fixing it.

The more people who blame the right guy (Slowik) instead of the scapegoat (Paymah) - vocally, where people have to make Shanahan uncomfortable by asking him about it directly - the more likely we are to possibly see a change. Maybe even one for the better.

~G

P.S. I hate Paymah as anything more than our 6th DB and a ST guy. Just FYI.

A seriously freaking brilliant post.

Let me be your agent. Cut the ponytail and lose the jean shorts.

We will make millions.

topscribe
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
G, that was a good post. Just two items, however:

1. When did Paymah say that to the receiver? Or was that a suggested scenario?

2. I'm not so quick to downgrade Paymah's abilities until I see him playing
according to his reputed strength: press, man-to-man coverage. As I recall,
his problem was learning zone coverages, but he was supposed to be good in
man coverage.

-----

G_Money
11-03-2008, 11:46 PM
G, that was a good post. Just two items, however:

1. When did Paymah say that to the receiver? Or was that a suggested scenario?

-----

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/753611.html

It began with three consecutive passes to Greg Camarillo. While Brandon Marshall, who has spent the season battling with Andre Johnson for best-receiver-in-the-league status, had just one catch for 14 yards to that point, Camarillo started the drive catching three passes for 22 yards. He caught another one for 12 yards later in the drive, with an exasperated Broncos crowd wondering why cornerback Karl Paymah was playing Camarillo like he was Mark Clayton.

''I don't know exactly whose responsibility it was, but I'm glad we kept going to it,'' Camarillo said. 'After the game, [Paymah] said, `Man, I don't know why we didn't switch the defense. It was just giving you the ball the whole time.' That's what we do.''

Interesting quote, huh?

~G

topscribe
11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/753611.html

Interesting quote, huh?

~G

Translation: Slowik is a moron. :nod:

-----

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 12:24 AM
YO Gman mikey will never admit to being wrong..

If he were from a Japanese culture Sunday he would have gutted himself in shame.. Doing the Honorable thing..

But we all know he is gonna gut slowick when the season is over . He needs someone to blame for not getting playoff bid..

Unless of course that is why he is IR'ing folks like there is no tomorrow, that just might save his ass from the wrath of Pat..

"Pat have you seen our IR list and Champ being out for 6 weeks killed our season.. We will be better next year wait and see.."

BigSarge87
11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I agree. I think most people are blaming paymah for horrible coverage, but if that's what he's told to do, what choice does he have?

I do see why the cushion, though. With our safeties being as horrible as they are, the only thing they are even remotely good for is run support. If you push our safeties up close, you have to tell your CB's to give a cushion because they aren't going to have help deep.

I still think having even one real good all around safety makes this defense 100% better.

dogfish
11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
A seriously freaking brilliant post.

Let me be your agent. Cut the ponytail and lose the jean shorts.

We will make millions.

but the ladies love G's ponytail. . . . :heh:

But we all know he is gonna gut slowick when the season is over . He needs someone to blame for not getting playoff bid..

please don't tell me you want him to keep slowick!

:eek:

Italianmobstr7
11-04-2008, 01:16 AM

If he were from a Japanese culture Sunday he would have gutted himself in shame.. Doing the Honorable thing..

Unless of course that is why he is IR'ing folks like there is no tomorrow, that just might save his ass from the wrath of Pat..

"Pat have you seen our IR list and Champ being out for 6 weeks killed our season.. We will be better next year wait and see.."

Dude, you're such a Shanny hater. You really need to get off of it. You've been downing him all off-season and all this season even though we probably have the best draft class of the year. In case you didn't know, there's still 8 games left in the season and Denver still can (and probably will) make the playoffs. Even if we don't Shanny shouldn't be fired. Slowick definitely should be. He's terrible. The only thing I'll blame Shanny for is not telling Slowick to make our DB's play bump and run against the Dolphins. Our D played pretty good against the Dolphins, especially against the run. They folded when it mattered most, and that is not Shanahan's fault. We were without DJ, and Mccree for that last drive as well as not having Boss or Champ. Our D was playing with a bunch of backups with little game experience. We've lost 3 in a row, and it's been tough, but we're going to get back on track eventually. The problem I have with you is when we're doing good (like when we were 3-0) you don't give Shanny any credit, but when we're doing bad like the last 3 weeks (0-3) you blame Shanny entirely. Give me a break. Get off your high horse and get off Shanny's back. He's a top 5 coach in the league STILL and our team will continue to get better as long as he is our coach. Who would you rather have as our head coach right now anyways?

G_Money
11-04-2008, 01:30 AM

That would make for an excellent end-of-year press conference. :D

I would even be for leaving Slowik calling the D the whole rest of the year if I got to see the press conference where Shanny had Slowik ritually disembowel himself before Mike cut his head off right there beside the podium.

If we think Bates was forced on Shanny by Pat, and Slowik was Shanny's answer to Pat, then I think after this season we might, MIGHT get a chance of some form of compromise.

As long as it's made clear that it's not Mike's fault of course Jr. ;)

Pat wants somebody who can be the Mike Shanahan of the defense. Mike Shanahan wants to win, but he wants to do it with his goons in charge so his authority isn't challenged.

Does that mean we bring back Coyer, who successfully survived several years under Mike, and learned Tampa's defense down there coaching their DL after he quit (we did not fire him)? Coyer has several things in his favor, one of which is being able to be here for more than one season, and be reasonably successful too.

Do we go with a young kid looking to break out as a wunderkind for D much the way Shanahan did for O? He won't have the years in charge to threaten Shanny, which might make him amenable.

Do we get a former head coach? Nolan, or say this week's opposing head coach, should the Browns fire him after a lackluster season? Could be some strife with Shanny there, but both guys have cut their teeth on years of good-to-great defenses.

Or do we go with another one of Shanahan's toadies and hope this toady is better than the others?

I dunno, but after Shanahan steps over Slowik's still-twitching, headless corpse I hope to hear it's NOT another toady, and might actually be somebody with either a great resume or a brilliant mind, because Slowik doesn't have either.

If Slowik comes back next year instead, I might have to carve him up myself. :coffee:

~G

dogfish
11-04-2008, 01:48 AM
If Slowik comes back next year instead, I might have to carve him up myself. :coffee:

~G

am i the only one that has this horrible, nagging fear that he won't be canned?

i mean, ALLLLL logic would insist that he has to be, but then, most logic would insist that he never should have been hired in the first place given his previous failures. . . with just how bad our D has been i'm probably just being paranoid because the prospect of another year under him is utterly paralyzing, but i can't help having these nightmare visions of shenanigans deciding that he's not going to listen to any accusations of scapegoating this time, and keeping slowick around for another shot. . . what if he chooses this moment to realize the downside of our growing reputation for going through DCs without giving them a fair chance? :doh: i have this nagging suspicion that a big part of picking slowick was that he'd work on the cheap, which may have appealed to bowlen as he prepares to dig his heels in for the upcoming labor dispute. . . mike is awfully arrogant about his offense-- what if he decides that slowick will improve enough to get it done with another year's experience, maybe a draft pick or two and a few more of our infamous trash heap free agent "upgrades?" unfortunately, the injuries on the D would give them an awfully convenient excuse if they decide to go that route (it's easy enough for them to double-speak around the way the D sucked when it was healthy when it's a year in the past, even if the more astute fans aren't fooled). . .

yea, i'm probably just being needlessly paranoid-- no way he's going to put up with this type of abject failure. . .

ummm, right?

Nomad
11-04-2008, 05:21 AM
I agree. I think most people are blaming paymah for horrible coverage, but if that's what he's told to do, what choice does he have?

I do see why the cushion, though. With our safeties being as horrible as they are, the only thing they are even remotely good for is run support. If you push our safeties up close, you have to tell your CB's to give a cushion because they aren't going to have help deep.

I still think having even one real good all around safety makes this defense 100% better.

I'm no Paymah apologist but you're exactly right and it seems people are blinded to this! Now if Paymah would have tried to beat the throw and come after the receiver and they started doing hitch and go's then he still would have been ridiculed because he would have been tailing and had to rely on safety help. People have their scapecoat even the players know it's the scheme and would have Bly or Wiliams have done better, probably not. Would have Champ done better maybe a little and he's been playing the same cushion all year getting burnt a few times. No Paymah is not a great CB and he should of took it upon himself to adjust then again can McCree be trusted, no! This defensive scheme, if not changed, will be one of the reason Champ leaves when his contracts done!

gobroncsnv
11-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Well, especially when we watched the Phins in press coverage completely bottle up BMarsh. Not sure if Paymah is better or worse than Miami's CB's, but pretty sure Marshall is better than Camarillo.
I would be ok with bringing back Coyer. He had a decent defense without a pass rush, but he DID have pretty good LB's and a fair secondary, that really improved when Lynch and Champ got here. But right now, would a good DC WANT to come here, given our current roster? You can make a pretty good case for canning the entire D coaching staff, but who can tell me we don't have a talent gap at a WHOLE lot of positions on D, without any quality depth? IMO, that side of the ball needs a fairly thorough enema. To try to just cure this with ONLY coaching changes would be a large mistake. I don't think anyone here is looking at our roster and seeing only probowlers just waiting to blossom, but by the same token, you are seeing me start to come around on a change of the DC. It looks like the players have lost faith.

BigSarge87
11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Someone please verbally B-Slap me if i'm wrong but I bet you Dre Bly is making more money than any of Miami's CB's are.

LRtagger
11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, especially when we watched the Phins in press coverage completely bottle up BMarsh. Not sure if Paymah is better or worse than Miami's CB's, but pretty sure Marshall is better than Camarillo.
I would be ok with bringing back Coyer. He had a decent defense without a pass rush, but he DID have pretty good LB's and a fair secondary, that really improved when Lynch and Champ got here. But right now, would a good DC WANT to come here, given our current roster? You can make a pretty good case for canning the entire D coaching staff, but who can tell me we don't have a talent gap at a WHOLE lot of positions on D, without any quality depth? IMO, that side of the ball needs a fairly thorough enema. To try to just cure this with ONLY coaching changes would be a large mistake. I don't think anyone here is looking at our roster and seeing only probowlers just waiting to blossom, but by the same token, you are seeing me start to come around on a change of the DC. It looks like the players have lost faith.

It should be fairly easy to grab a young mind from the college ranks, but the problem is can Shanny even spot a young talented defensive coach? I don't think he can. Not only that, but he needs to look for a coach that has the ability to scheme around our current roster which I don't think he can do, either.

I keep pressing for Ed Donatell who was our DB coach during the SB years and helped turn our secondary around. He also turned around Atlanta's defense as their DC. He is currently the DC for the University of Washington. I'm not sure what his personal situation is, but I would think he would give up that spot to get back in the NFL.

Donatell, 50, has spent 12 of the last 13 seasons as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator in the National Football League and has coached 12 players who have earned Pro Bowl recognition. Last season he was a special assistant with the New York Jets. He served as defensive coordinator from 2004-06 for the Atlanta Falcons.

While with the Falcons, under UW alum Jim Mora, Donatell led a defensive unit that ranked among the league leaders in several categories. His 2004 unit led the NFL by allowing its opponents a league-low 30.2 percent on third-down conversations. The Falcons also led the league in sacks for the first time in team history, won the club's third-ever division title and advanced to the NFC championship game. In 2005, his defense ranked third in the NFL with only 28 passes allowed of 20-or-more yards.

Prior to his time in Atlanta, he served four seasons as Green Bay's defensive coordinator under Mike Sherman. During his stint in Green Bay, Donatell's defense led the NFL with 144 takeaways, an average of 36 a year and led the league with 2.25 forced turnovers per game.

He began his NFL coaching career with the New York Jets in 1990 as defensive backs coach. He joined Mike Shanahan on the Denver Broncos' coaching staff in the same position in 1995 and helped lead the team to back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 1997 and 1998. He took over a secondary that ranked last in the NFL in 1994 and led them to a top 10 ranking in each of his five seasons in Denver.

underrated29
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Dogfish, i dont think they can him either. I think/hope beyond all reason that the coaches take a moment and listen to the players. The players really do know whats going on.

On my hockey team, we got some new guy and he is huge, so they put him at center and moved me over to the wing, as i can play any position. Not only did our goals go down, but our Goals against went up, because he wasnt fast enough to cover on defense. I finally, told the team, that i need to go back to center atleast for faceoffs......Nothing ever came of it. So I just started lining up at center or taking 10 second shifts and then going out on the next line......End result, they moved him down a line put me back at center and what do you know we are scoring again, and winning.

Maybe, just maybe we can see the same thing happen with out guys and coaches.

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Dogfish, i dont think they can him either. I think/hope beyond all reason that the coaches take a moment and listen to the players. The players really do know whats going on.

On my hockey team, we got some new guy and he is huge, so they put him at center and moved me over to the wing, as i can play any position. Not only did our goals go down, but our Goals against went up, because he wasnt fast enough to cover on defense. I finally, told the team, that i need to go back to center atleast for faceoffs......Nothing ever came of it. So I just started lining up at center or taking 10 second shifts and then going out on the next line......End result, they moved him down a line put me back at center and what do you know we are scoring again, and winning.

Maybe, just maybe we can see the same thing happen with out guys and coaches.

The first time someone tells mikey what to do will be his last time before getting fired or doghouse time..

Could anyone see Hillis going in and telling Pitts he is out of the line up without being told to do so?

Nah I did not think so..

Drill-N-Fill
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
On Sunday, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter ripped Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, calling Marshall “soft” and saying he would “mope and cry” when he didn’t get the ball.

Now Marshall has escalated the war of words.

Talking to reporters in Denver today, Marshall questioned why Porter talks trash, what his insecurities are, and even what he does on the dance floor when he goes out to nightclubs.

“Joey Porter’s one of those guys, when you’ve got guys who talk a lot of trash and want to talk about people or put people down, they have their own insecurities. His insecurities, I don’t know,” Marshall said, per the Rocky Mountain News.

“But he’s definitely one of those guys who all those muscles are popcorn muscles. He’s soft. We hear stories floating around the league all the time about him, as far as him being in nightclubs, dancing with his shirt off like a girl, or in the playground getting beat up back in California,” Marshall added. “He’s one of those guys that no matter how big he is, he can still get knocked on his butt. [Editor’s note: Or, as the case may be, shot in his butt.] He’s soft. And you can tell the way he’s talking. His nickname’s ‘Peezy’. I don’t know what ‘Peezy’ is, Joey.”

Knowing Porter, it’s safe to say he’ll have a response.

gobroncsnv
11-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Not only that, but he needs to look for a coach that has the ability to scheme around our current roster which I don't think he can do, either.

How hard could this be to find a coach who can scheme around our current roster? All of the coaching staffs for our recent opponents can do it.... :tsk:

Superchop 7
11-04-2008, 08:37 PM
The corners 'need' to tighten up.

Glad he said it.

Dean
11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Exactly what does a Bronco defensive coordinator have to work with this year?

The safeties (I use the term loosely) are the worst we have had on the field in the last three decades. Should we play bump and run expecting them to provide help over the top? Can you expect them to shut down the run game? Would any safety on our roster be a starter on any other NFL team?

Without Champ, our corners are weak against the run and very average in coverage. Bly came to us with a reputation for poor run support but strong in press coverage though he gambled to often. IMO he has lost a step in the last few years. Who else do you see that can get the job done?

At LB, the weakest of our three starting backers is the only one remaining. Are these untried low round draft picks and free agents the answer? Can any coordinator scheme them into a run stopping unit while manning up on tight ends and backs coming out of the backfield? Remember there is no satety help over the top.

Our defensive line without LB help does not provide constant pressure against the pass. The QB often has six seconds to throw the ball. This is an eternity for any NFL QB. Against the run our tackle are beginning to play better but our under sized ends struggle.

I seriously doubt that the best defensive coordinators of all time could scheme around the Bronco serious lack of talent. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken excrement.

I am not in any way saying that Slowick is the man for the job. I am merely stating that neither he nor anyone else can walk on water. Without a serious infusion of talent, there is no coach, scheme, coverage, incantation, or ritual that will save the Bronco defense. :tsk:

lex
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Exactly what does a Bronco defensive coordinator have to work with this year?

The safeties (I use the term loosely) are the worst we have had on the field in the last three decades. Should we play bump and run expecting them to provide help over the top? Can you expect them to shut down the run game? Would any safety on our roster be a starter on any other NFL team?

Without Champ, our corners are weak against the run and very average in coverage. Bly came to us with a reputation for poor run support but strong in press coverage though he gambled to often. IMO he has lost a step in the last few years. Who else do you see that can get the job done?

At LB, the weakest of our three starting backers is the only one remaining. Are these untried low round draft picks and free agents the answer? Can any coordinator scheme them into a run stopping unit while manning up on tight ends and backs coming out of the backfield? Remember there is no satety help over the top.

Our defensive line without LB help does not provide constant pressure against the pass. The QB often has six seconds to throw the ball. This is an eternity for any NFL QB. Against the run our tackle are beginning to play better but our under sized ends struggle.

I seriously doubt that the best defensive coordinators of all time could scheme around the Bronco serious lack of talent. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken excrement.

I am not in any way saying that Slowick is the man for the job. I am merely stating that neither he nor anyone else can walk on water. Without a serious infusion of talent, there is no coach, scheme, coverage, incantation, or ritual that will save the Bronco defense. :tsk:

Out of all that, this jumps out at me the most. Slowiks insistance on thes 12 yard cushions undermines the pass rush. Slowik is such a poor schemer that its very difficult to know who and to what degree they need to be replaced. The only position that I feel confidfent in saying that needs to be replaced is S. Beyond that, Slowik has been repeatedly setting people up for failure. It has been a defense that hasnt been adding up to the sum of its parts...not even close. And its so bad that until we get a more competent DC, we wont know to what we need and to what degree. I realize its easy to watch a defense thats struggling and say, "draft all defense" but before we overdraft defense, we should find someone who can utilize talent or it wont matter.

broncofaninfla
11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Check out Slowicks comments(from the Denver Post): "We had a game plan that we thought was effective," Slowik said. "(Camarillo) can catch 15 balls. He wasn't the guy that was going to beat us. We were worried about the guy who could get the big chunks. If you keep them from getting big chunks, you're going to be an effective defense."

Guess what Slo, Camarillo DID beat us! Even inhind sight the guy doesn't seem to get it!

LRtagger
11-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Check out Slowicks comments(from the Denver Post): "We had a game plan that we thought was effective," Slowik said. "(Camarillo) can catch 15 balls. He wasn't the guy that was going to beat us. We were worried about the guy who could get the big chunks. If you keep them from getting big chunks, you're going to be an effective defense."

Guess what Slo, Camarillo DID beat us! Even inhind sight the guy doesn't seem to get it!

What an effing dumbass :mad:

yardog
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
:tsk: Slowick.

Medford Bronco
11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
:tsk: Slowick.

more like

SLOW lick getting licked each week on D:tsk:

Dean
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Out of all that, this jumps out at me the most. Slowiks insistance on thes 12 yard cushions undermines the pass rush. Slowik is such a poor schemer that its very difficult to know who and to what degree they need to be replaced. The only position that I feel confidfent in saying that needs to be replaced is S. Beyond that, Slowik has been repeatedly setting people up for failure. It has been a defense that hasnt been adding up to the sum of its parts...not even close. And its so bad that until we get a more competent DC, we wont know to what we need and to what degree. I realize its easy to watch a defense thats struggling and say, "draft all defense" but before we overdraft defense, we should find someone who can utilize talent or it wont matter.

Short pass, intermediate pass, or long pass the D-line hasn't been able to apply pressure. They haven't played poorly because the system undermined them. They have played poorly because they aren't very talented.

lex
11-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Short pass, intermediate pass, or long pass the D-line hasn't been able to apply pressure. They haven't played poorly because the system undermined them. They have played poorly because they aren't very talented.

Thats nonsense. I stand by what I said.

Nomad
11-06-2008, 06:00 AM

In other words Slowik was trying to say, we didn't want to get beat deep so we played the corners off excepting short yard passes because our safeties are no better than high schoolers. Camarillo was on fire and Paymah was a little slower than Champ is to reacting but did a decent job giving him the minimum amount of yards after the catch but was the whipping boy all day! I know I am not the best coach but I could use a little help from my GM/HC to get some quality defensive personnel here but his offense looks just as bad as my defense so I don't look so bad!

Dean
11-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Thats nonsense. I stand by what I said.

I hate to be nonsensical. Would you point out those talented pass rushing D-linemen that I missed.

Elvis hasn't been the same since his hand injury. Ekuban, to be fair has a couple of coverage sacks and a couple that he got an outside rush. Who else? Have the opposing QBs had our D-tackles in their face getting pressure while they complete 70% of their passes?

What is it that I am missing? :confused:

lex
11-06-2008, 08:25 AM
I hate to be nonsensical.

Then just stop.

What is it that I am missing? :confused:

Obviously a lot. Youre one of the last to come around.

Dean
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Then just stop.

Obviously a lot. Youre one of the last to come around.

If you don't want to debate on merits, don't jump in.:coffee:

This will give you an idea of the D-lines inability versus the run.
http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl