PDA

View Full Version : Nice video about how the lockout is affecting players lives and personal plans

Tned
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey, if you haven't watched this, it's worth the time. Josina Anderson did a segment with extensive interviews with Colquit and Gronkowski and their wives/fiances. It's a look into how players that haven't signed those big contracts yet are faring during the lockout.

Check it out, it's worth watching.

http://footballpros.com/content.php/989-Documentary-A-Personal-Portrait-of-the-NFL-Lockout

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm sorry, but really?

"The Colquitts recently returned to Colorado from their wedding in the Bahamas. Unlike his brother Dustin, punter for the Kansas City Chiefs, who in 2005, had 700 guests at his wedding, with the lockout in mind, Britton and Nickie had to keep their invitation list to 50."

Really?

Tned
06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry, but really?

"The Colquitts recently returned to Colorado from their wedding in the Bahamas. Unlike his brother Dustin, punter for the Kansas City Chiefs, who in 2005, had 700 guests at his wedding, with the lockout in mind, Britton and Nickie had to keep their invitation list to 50."

Really?

Yes, but at the same time they are renting and don't have a couch. Having to prioritize.

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, but at the same time they are renting and don't have a couch. Having to prioritize.

I couldn't get past the "sad little wedding in the Bahamas" to get to that terrible part where they had to rent a very nice home in a great suburb and not have to work each day...

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I DO feel very sorry for the rookies...

Krugan
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Im with Mzzou on this, hard to feel bad, when you can fly around play golf marry in the bahamas and rent large houses.

Im trying to figure out how to pay for a moving company to move into a smaller place. And bring in a fraction of league min.

Intersting piece, but not alot of concern here.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 10:02 PM
What got me was Gronkowski's fiance's hardship of having to plan out the wedding herself with help of her mom. That's got to be horrible not be able to hire a wedding planner.

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 10:05 PM
What got me was Gronkowski's fiance's hardship of having to plan out the wedding herself with help of her mom. That's got to be horrible not be able to hire a wedding planner.

Yeah, what a terrible hardship...400K in 2010, and in 2011 we couldn't hire a wedding planner...

Seriously?

I was going to try to keep my hate for Josina Anderson out of this, but...what a crock piece that was...she's such a drama queen.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
I really do not see how either couple have the day to day hardships that many have now, and have had in the past. I would believe most would love to live in the homes they are in, most did not have a wedding planner when they got married, etc. If what they expressed are the "worst" hardships they have in life, they will be just fine.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
If Josina's goal was to create empathy for the players this was an epic failure of biblical proportions.

Tned
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
I guess I look at it a little different. Yes, even at rookie minimums or second year minimums, etc., they are making far more than most 'normal' people. That said, these guys are impacted much more than guys like Champ, Tebow and others that have signed the 2-10 mil a year contracts.

Are their inconveniences as great as what many of us are going through in our lives? No, but that's the nature of the beast. When the players are arguing over whether the salary cap should be $120 million or $160 million, we are talking about the players, on average, making a shit load of money.

TXBRONC
06-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I guess I look at it a little different. Yes, even at rookie minimums or second year minimums, etc., they are making far more than most 'normal' people. That said, these guys are impacted much more than guys like Champ, Tebow and others that have signed the 2-10 mil a year contracts.

Are their inconveniences as great as what many of us are going through in our lives? No, but that's the nature of the beast. When the players are arguing over whether the salary cap should be $120 million or $160 million, we are talking about the players, on average, making a shit load of money.

No doubt someone like Colquitt and Gronkowski are impacted more because they don't make close to what Bailey or Tebow make. I guess the angle Jonsia took that didn't help. I really hard feeling sorry for Gronkowski's bride to be for having to plan out her own wedding. My wife and my mother-in-law planned out our wedding. So while guys like Colquitt and Gronkowski are impacted more than superstars like Bailey they still look like they have a lot easier than rest of working stiffs having "really" tighten our belts to keep our households going. Let them live in a world where they're total gross income is $50,000 dollars for the year. Then I would have an easier time empathizing with them.

Benetto
06-15-2011, 11:20 PM
OH NO! :coffee:

With the US unemployment rate where it is today, people living out of their cars, sending their families to eat/sleep at shelters, closing the doors to their businesses, working 12 hour shifts @ min wage (if they're lucky), and paying through the teeth for groceries and gas..These Jerkoffs have the audacity to complain about "renting" a HOUSE!! Or having their wedding in the Bahamas? Wow...Just wow...

I know they are not comparing the two situations, but when we have countless athletes complaining about "We have to feed and support our families too" they did the rhetoric comparison...

We have US troops LEAVING their families to fight a war, and get paid peanuts for gods sake.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I was especially touched by the part where Colquitt and Larsen were playing golf. Those poor fellas... I'm sure they'd much rather be sweating their asses off at OTAs and getting yelled at for texting during team meetings. Can't afford a couch, huh? How about selling that $5,000 set of clubs and buying something to sit on, Britton?

Is it just me, or would these guys not be making any money right now anyway? Granted, I know that most of them get some kind of workout bonuses for showing up to the non-mandatory OTAs, but you'll never convince me that they are going to pay Britton Colquitt much to show up and hit the stairmaster a couple times a week. Comparing him to his brother, who was actually drafted in the middle rounds IIRC, is dumb, too. Britton was an UDFA which means he works for league minimum, anyway. While we're at it, lets compare how much DJ makes to how much Woodyard makes... :rolleyes:

:coffee:

Honestly, I really hope that this video doesn't get widespread viewing. It might just have the complete opposite effect of what was intended. Nobody is going to feel sorry for them.

Oh and one more thing, did anyone else notice how absolutely smoking hot Gronkowski's and Colquitt's ladies are? Yeah, they hooked those hotties because of their charming personalities... These guys are just so abused. I truly hope they can survive out there in the cold, cruel world.

:2thumbsdown:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Is it me, or did Gronkowski's girl actually say, "we actually have to cook our own food!"?

:laugh:

She worded it differently, but that's what she essentially said.

Lonestar
06-16-2011, 05:52 AM
It is all about life style. Once you get used it then it is hard to live without it.

Most athletes and celebs do not have a clue about what it is like in the real world.

I suspect one if the reasons that the union is backing off demands. They know that the nativesp are getting restless.

MOtorboat
06-16-2011, 08:05 AM
It is all about life style. Once you get used it then it is hard to live without it.

Most athletes and celebs do not have a clue about what it is like in the real world.

I suspect one if the reasons that the union is backing off demands. They know that the nativesp are getting restless.

I can agree with that, but these guys get 16 game checks a year and then go the rest of the offseason without getting paid (they might get, from what I've read $100 for going to a minicamp).

We're still three months out before anyone of them would be paid, anyway. It sounds as if the two families in the story will do OK, they'll just have to cut back three months from now if there aren't any games.

Lonestar
06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
I can agree with that, but these guys get 16 game checks a year and then go the rest of the offseason without getting paid (they might get, from what I've read $100 for going to a minicamp).
We're still three months out before anyone of them would be paid, anyway. It sounds as if the two families in the story will do OK, they'll just have to cut back three months from now if there aren't any games.

That is the biggest reason I originally said this will not go past missing a couple of games. by then any savings will be gone for the vSt majoriy of players and hey would have been demanding that DS backoff his demands and get something signed.

Let's hope the reports are true about an imminent cba agreement.

Tned
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM

FWIW, while I understand their problems are different than ours (think Kenny McKinley suicide), it isn't a matter of cutting back in three months. More than likely, most of these guys live a lifestyle that burns through their game checks in the offseason. If they wait 3 months, they will probably be totally broke, which is why they are cutting back now. Granted, their cutting back is more than most of us do when we aren't cutting back, but that's the nature of pro sports.

Ravage!!!
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
These two aren't exactly "rich" by any means. She said that they are cooking MORE.. not cooking their own. These two players don't make enough to have full time cooks. They aren't getting paid ANY money right now, and as a kicker, he's not exactly someone that is got a HUGE signing bonus. I think she's back to teaching to bring in some income.

I also wasn't bothered by a couple guys playing golf. A lot of guys play golf.

If we saw a piece about players that were making 5 million a year and them trying to do a piece about us seeing the effect, I'm sure I would feel different. But these two, in particular, aren't rich and are being 'effected' even though it may not be thrown to the poor house. I know regular people that don't have jobs, their wife is back to work, and aren't in the poor house.

Tned
06-16-2011, 10:37 AM
These two aren't exactly "rich" by any means. She said that they are cooking MORE.. not cooking their own. These two players don't make enough to have full time cooks. They aren't getting paid ANY money right now, and as a kicker, he's not exactly someone that is got a HUGE signing bonus. I think she's back to teaching to bring in some income.

If we saw a piece about players that were making 5 million a year and them trying to do a piece about us seeing the effect, I'm sure I would feel different. But these two, in particular, aren't rich and are being 'effected' even though it may not be thrown to the poor house. I know regular people that don't have jobs, their wife is back to work, and aren't in the poor house.

Yes, they said they are eating out less, just like any of us do if we have to tighten our wellets.

Good points, and it's the way I see it.

LordTrychon
06-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not going to blast them for being affected by this, but I am not going to be overly sympathetic either.

So many people have had to cut back or worse lately, and the players thought they should be immune from that and have ever increasing salaries forever.

I feel much worse for team employees that have been furloughed, etc. That includes employees of the Denver Broncos. That makes me sad.

Nomad
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Right on JR! These guys, I believe, know what's coming and are getting restless as we speak. I'm sure behind the scenes Smith is getting more and more phone calls from average players that they'll cross the line to play and get paid.

Lonestar
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Right on JR! These guys, I believe, know what's coming and are getting restless as we speak. I'm sure behind the scenes Smith is getting more and more phone calls from average players that they'll cross the line to play and get paid.

Not that there would be a chance to cross the line, but most of these guys were warned mid year last season that it was going to get bad. as well as when they voted to decertify, I'm hoping some were bright enough to understand what it meant. If not I have zero emphany for them.

I realize that 200k does not go very far today after agent comissions and taxes but some of us are living on fixed incomes and having energy costs almost double hurts us also.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2011, 12:03 PM

I know she was just referring to eating out less. I didn't think they had a personal cook.

I'm not bashing on them at all, it just struck me funny. I'm watching them cooking these monster steaks and corn on the cob on the grill, and I was thinking to myself, "that's not exactly roughin' it". :laugh:

But anyway, I essentially agree with what you're saying.

Tned
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
And, as a reporter (not Josina) said to me last year in regards to the Mckinley suicide (attributed to financial problems), it may sound like a lot of money when we see these guys making a couple hundred grand, but they have a lot of expenses most people don't have, plus there is immense pressure on them to 'keep up' with their teammates making far more.

Again, for most of us, we would just say, hey, just because Champ and Dumervil are going to Vegas for a week, doesn't mean you have to go -- or, you can stay off the strip in a Holiday Inn rather than Caesars, but that's easier said than done.

Do I feel 'sorry' for them? No. Do I realize that the lockout is affecting guys like this a lot more than the Champs of the NFL? Yes.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
And, as a reporter (not Josina) said to me last year in regards to the Mckinley suicide (attributed to financial problems), it may sound like a lot of money when we see these guys making a couple hundred grand, but they have a lot of expenses most people don't have, plus there is immense pressure on them to 'keep up' with their teammates making far more.

Again, for most of us, we would just say, hey, just because Champ and Dumervil are going to Vegas for a week, doesn't mean you have to go -- or, you can stay off the strip in a Holiday Inn rather than Caesars, but that's easier said than done.

Do I feel 'sorry' for them? No. Do I realize that the lockout is affecting guys like this a lot more than the Champs of the NFL? Yes.

Absolutely, when income increases, so does your budget. It's not too hard to imagine how some of these guys who are making near the league minimum might have a hard time keeping up when the paychecks stop, especially if they aren't good with money.

The two guys mentioned here seem to have it figured out somewhat, however.