PDA

View Full Version : Time for Shanny to go!

Greatspirits
11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Its the same old crap we've seen for the past 8 years! New players, coaches & coordinators, same result! The one constant? Mike Shananhan! Its time for Bowlen to pull that free pass and move on to a new chapter in Broncos football.

JKcatch724
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
LMFAO.

I like how your name is Greatspirits.

KCL
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Would you rather have Herm Edwards? My husband even though he doesn't like the Broncos said he would take Shanny anyday.

Northman
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Yea, when the pickens are scarce be careful for what you wish for.

56crash
11-02-2008, 08:41 PM
this thread is good for a filed in G

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
That's your first post???

:tsk:

If you're going to make your first-ever post on the forums an Anti-Shanny post, you gotta come with more than that.

Welcome, by the way.

Dreadnought
11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Good Lord...here we go...

Greatspirits
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Yea, when the pickens are scarce be careful for what you wish for.

I understand that, its a crapshoot, but do you see anything changing? I don't. I think the Dolphins and Falcons proved you can bring in some new blood and have positive change.

Northman
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I understand that, its a crapshoot, but do you see anything changing? I don't. I think the Dolphins and Falcons proved you can bring in some new blood and have positive change.

Well, i will agree that from a GM standpoint we need some change. But, Shanny is not likely to give that up. Matt Ryan has looked great this year so far but he also has a decent back carrying the load. The other problem is the constant change at DC. Its a scary concept because i think Slowik isnt that good but do we change it yet again? I mean, i know we need more talent but even the current players have to be scratching their heads because of all the coaching moves in recent years. Im sure Shanny shoulders some blame but there are a lot of other issues playing a part of it.

Greatspirits
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
That's your first post???

:tsk:

If you're going to make your first-ever post on the forums an Anti-Shanny post, you gotta come with more than that.

Welcome, by the way.

I think my post says it all! We've seen all the changes year after year, but we see the same result on field. We knew the defense was bad, but the offense and the play calling has been putrid also. The team shows no energy and as much as I hate to say it Jay Cutler is starting to look like a Jeff George clone, big arm but doesn't know how to win. By the way, thanks for the welcome, I needed a place to vent.

Greatspirits
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, i will agree that from a GM standpoint we need some change. But, Shanny is not likely to give that up. Matt Ryan has looked great this year so far but he also has a decent back carrying the load. The other problem is the constant change at DC. Its a scary concept because i think Slowik isnt that good but do we change it yet again? I mean, i know we need more talent but even the current players have to be scratching their heads because of all the coaching moves in recent years. Im sure Shanny shoulders some blame but there are a lot of other issues playing a part of it.

There are other issues, but who created them? The man at the top, I know it would never happen, but I would like to see Shanny move into that GM role and hire a new coach, maybe even give Jeramy Bates a shot. As far as the D-coordinator (I know I hate the constant change) But I think Wade Phillips will eventually be fired and he would be someone to target.

honz
11-02-2008, 09:10 PM
LMAO. You can't win the Super Bowl every year. Damn spoiled Bronco fans...

Northman
11-02-2008, 09:12 PM
There are other issues, but who created them? The man at the top, I know it would never happen, but I would like to see Shanny move into that GM role and hire a new coach, maybe even give Jeramy Bates a shot. As far as the D-coordinator (I know I hate the constant change) But I think Wade Phillips will eventually be fired and he would be someone to target.

Well, depends on how far you look at it. There are some (maybe you) that feel that Shanny is the be all end all to what goes on football related. Then, there are some (and i may be one of them depending on what happens in the next couple of years) that feel that Sundquist may of had a hand in some of the crap that has happened. I dont know how much of a leash Bowlen has put on Shanny but i would assume if we dont improve dramatically in the next couple of years that something would happen at the HC position. IMO

BigDaddyBronco
11-02-2008, 09:17 PM

Maybe a GM for the Defense. Can't blame Shanny for the quality of recent draft picks on the Offensive side of the ball.

I do think that Bates was Bowlen's choice last year, but relented to Shanny when things looked so ugly. I would like to see a long term defensive philosophy like we have on offense and draft players to fit the defense. Then Bowlen should get the right scouts or whatever to draft some good defensive players. I know, easier said than done.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
never make a decision when you are filled with emotions.

Shanahan as a GM should have been fired five years ago. Slowik should have been fired during the bye week. Again almost four houndred yards against us. And we flop when the game is on the line.

Look what happened when we fired Coyer.

Northman
11-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe a GM for the Defense. Can't blame Shanny for the quality of recent draft picks on the Offensive side of the ball.

Yea, one of the reasons why i think Sundquist may have been the issue prior to the last two years of drafting. :D

KCL
11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Who was the DC you all had that the Chiefs picked up a few years ago?
I can't remember his name.

Slick
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Remember folks. Coach threw three picks and gave up a crucial 3rd and long. He also blew that offensive PI call. :coffee:

Dreadnought
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
The problem is that we know for a fact that Shanahan can win Superbowls. Thats not debatable. You bring in a stiff like Linehan? Steve Spurrier? Herm Edwards? How many years of suckitude before you sort out that he sucks, and how many more years of suckitude while you un**** all the damage he did? Then, maybe you get another dud. What then?

Bad idea. better the Devil we know. I'll point out the job he did in 05 with not a ton of talent on the roster.

KCL
11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Who was the DC you all had that the Chiefs picked up a few years ago?
I can't remember his name.

Greg Robinson? :confused:

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Greg Robinson? :confused:

yes

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
What does fall on Shanahan is that this team seems completely unmotivated, unprepared, and emotionless on the field. These are not promising trends.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
What does fall on Shanahan is that this team seems completely unmotivated, unprepared, and emotionless on the field. These are not promising trends.

That is a good point. He has never been a great motivator. When we loose we usually folds and end up with a 14 plus loss when it should have been a close game if you watched the whole game.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM

I feel some of that has to do with the "new breed" of players that are in all sports now. Alfred Williams talks about it all of the time. I mean, come on, how long has Jay been around, and he sits down with a national magazine and states he has a stronger arm than Elway!!!!!!!

Dreadnought
11-02-2008, 09:33 PM

I don't fully agree. The defensive line played with heart - even decent pressure (not that it helped playing a soft zone) and tackled well throughout. I think our defensive problem had more to do with scheme than bad play.

The offense is a whole 'nother thing. Apart from Hillis and Royal nothing.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't fully agree. The defensive line played with heart - even decent pressure (not that it helped playing a soft zone) and tackled well throughout. I think our defensive problem had more to do with scheme than bad play.

>How many times have we completely folded in the second half?

Look at Buffalo. They loose, but they never give up. Every team Parcells has something to do with do the same. Some coaches are great motivators. Some are great talent evaluators and some are great schemers.
I think Shanahan is bad to motivate, average to below average to find talent and outstanding to scheme. Parcells is the exact opposite.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM

I'll give you that. Still, I don't like the developing trend. It seems like the wheels are falling off, and it doesn't look like anyone believes things will get fixed.

G_Money
11-02-2008, 09:39 PM
The Cardinals have one winning season since 1988. ONE.

Life could be far worse than to have Shanahan at the helm. We have our issues, but after last season didn't everybody think this was gonna be a rebuilding year? Shanahan graded his team incorrectly after Cutler's first season, and we suffered for it.

To rectify it Shanahan drafted what appears to be our LT of the present and the future who looks like a god in pass protection as he learns our difficult run-blocking scheme. He also added a blistering WR/KR combo player who is our starting #2 WR and looking good as such. He also drafted a FB who went for 100+ receiving yards today. Anybody wanna check with Elias on when the last time that happened was?

There's a safety with all the physical tools and a LB with all the instinctual ones. There's a center still playing understudy that we don't know about yet and a RB who finally set foot on a playing field for the first time in a year, but about whom Shanahan raves.

Whoever drafted in 2006 and 2008 deserves several gold stars and a raise. Since it appears to be the Goodmans and they indeed got raises and title bumps, I feel pretty good about our upcoming 2009 draft too.

We had a sorry lack of talent on this team that was exposed last year. It looks like we're in the process of fixing it, but it's not an overnight thing.

Do our offensive struggles concern me? Hell yes.
Do our defensive ineptitudes make me angry? Damn straight they do.
Do I want to fire our entire defensive coaching staff and start over? Uh huh.

But do I think Shanny should go?

Not yet I don't. I wanted a new GM, and I appear to have gotten one - at least as far as the draft is concerned. I'd like us to stop wasting money on useless free agents (see: our safeties, our entire DL last year, Boss's injured self, all those WRs we brought in, et al) but we'll see how that goes. I'd like us to stop trading for expensive cornerbacks when we can't put them to use - it's sort of like having an expensive sportscar engine in the car that's on blocks in your front lawn. Might want to get a car that runs first...

But we'll see what we do about that.

Shanahan's at least the equal of every coach on the market. Getting new blood just to get new blood doesn't make a lot of sense. The 49ers fired Mariucci and wound up with a mess. We have the double problem of having to replace TWO positions if we fire Shanahan - that of head coach, and that of GM. Since after a dozen years he FINALLY seems to have figured out drafting, it'd be a shame to go back to the same muck we were in before the Goodmans came along.

And Shanahan knows headstrong quarterbacks probably better than any coach around. If we want Cutler to become somebody, we don't want to turn him over to a Denny Green sort of coach.

Mike's got some issues to overcome still, like his penchant for sycophants in his coach hirings. But he hasn't been shown to have jumped the shark just yet. If this was Brian Billick, offensive "genius" who was incapable of generating an offense to take advantage of his great defense year after year after year, then yeah, dump him.

But we don't have a great ANYTHING right now. We have some really, REALLY promising offensive players, a good offensive system that right now isn't working well, and a defense in shambles.

Replacing Shanahan ditches the offensive system, throws away the newfound drafting prowess, removes the guy who gave greats like Young and Elway (as well as not-so-greats like Brister, Griese and Plummer) the best seasons of their careers, and isn't guaranteed to fix anything that ails us (like the defense).

Can't get behind it.

Better to get a Great Defensive Head Coach with Immunity, so Shanny can't vote him off the island.

My chances of that aren't great, but they're probably greater than the chance that Shanny gets fired, whatever our record turns into this year.

~G

Mike
11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
End thread.

UnderArmour
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Shanny does need to go. Have you seen that Texans offense lately? He should go be a head coach somewhere.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Another thing we must consider is that we are young on offense. Offense usually takes a couple of years to gel, and yet we count on three rookies, a second year player and many third year players in critical positions.
Unfortunately that usually means we will be inconsistent.

as for G-moneys point on defensive cordinator with immunity. I wholeheartedly agree. We need continuity and stability and talent.
I bet Singletary wont be given the HC job at SF after the season. That probably means he wont be there next year demoted back to DC. We could get him or Nolan and they both know what the heck they are doing. Besides they are great motivators as well.
Damn, I almost got scared listening to his interview ripping Davis.

lex
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
This is crazy. It seems like theres one of these every time we lose.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
This is crazy. It seems like theres one of these every time we lose.

thats why the ignore button saves you a lot of hassle. Use it! I am going to start pretty soon.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
What I want to know is when is Shanahan going to step in and do something to stop this freefall? Is he just going to sit there and idly watch this team fade into 8-8 or 7-9 oblivion or is he going to do something to inject some life into this team?

BigSarge87
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm still not ready to completely bail on Shanny, but I'm getting sick and tired of seeing this team come out unprepared every single week. I thought they played with more passion tonight, but they still didn't have a clue what to do. Granted they are young (we seen just how much Culter HASN'T matured tonight) and will be great if they can get it all together, but there is still a lot of work to do. I agree with G Money, we need a Defensive HC with some stank on him and give him a few years no questions asked.

Slowiks not the guy, never has been.

I MISS FOXWORTH!!! He wasn't great, but didn't need to give 3rd string WR's a 15 yard cushion on 3rd and 7.

topscribe
11-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Would you rather have Herm Edwards? My husband even though he doesn't like the Broncos said he would take Shanny anyday.

So would the majority of the teams in the league.

This thread is ridiculous.

-----

Slick
11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Outstanding post G.

hamrob
11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I have to admit...the first thing I yelled after the game, was...Shanny needs to be fired! Then I calmed down and regained my senses.

But, honestly...Jeremy Bates and Bob Slowik are doing everything they possbily can do...to lose games. Shanny needs to take charge now...or the season will be over. We've made our bed...we have to win the division....or we're not going to the playoffs.

MOtorboat
11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
OK...gotta be frank here...

Of course we all expected this thread, and anyone who brings up the idea that we should, for whatever reason, fire Shanahan, needs to ask themselves one thing.

Who else would you want?

The answer always comes down as Bill Cowher. Well, let's be honest, is Bill Cowher better than Mike Shanahan. I mean, really, clearly and seriously, the better coach? And the answer I always come up with when I ask myself that question is, "hell no."

So who else? Schottenheimer? No thanks...choke artist. Holmgren? He's about done, and I don't think he'd be interested in a job like this. So, again, I ask who else is better?

So, frankly, knee jerk reactions to one loss are always quite hilarious, imho.

Lonestar
11-02-2008, 11:33 PM
LMAO. You can't win the Super Bowl every year. Damn spoiled Bronco fans...

a winning season this year could be a start and right now that does not look so good..

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 12:06 AM
a winning season this year could be a start and right now that does not look so good..

Seems to me that a winning season won't be enough for some...

Playoffs won't be enough for some...

Heck... even winning one in the playoffs wouldn't be enough for everyone.

*shrug*

KCL
11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
well at least no one has started a "Cutler must go" thread...:laugh:

BigSarge87
11-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Just because we have high expectations of our team doesn't mean we're spoiled. If we compare our stats to the losing teams in the league then what standard are we holding ourselves to? I think most people are frustrated because this team is not getting better each game (or each year for that matter). It's been over a decade since we had a solid team. A DECADE!!! We expect our team to win the division every year and make a shot for the Superbowl. Although not realistic, it's still the standard we expect from our team. And us, the fans, are well justified to expect it IMHO.

Simple Jaded
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
It's time to be patient......Actually, that started about two months ago......

sneakers
11-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Its the same old crap we've seen for the past 8 years! New players, coaches & coordinators, same result! The one constant? Mike Shananhan! Its time for Bowlen to pull that free pass and move on to a new chapter in Broncos football.

Thou hast just spouted heretical drivel....BURN HIM!!!

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/salem/stake.jpg

edit: Who we going to bring in? Bill Cowher? :rofl:

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 12:40 AM

I can see you starting it now...

Time to get rid of Cutler...

To the Chiefs!

Timmy!
11-03-2008, 12:43 AM
LMAO. Some of you guys crack me up.

KCL
11-03-2008, 12:52 AM
I can see you starting it now...

Time to get rid of Cutler...

To the Chiefs!
:lol:
No thanks...we're losing just fine without him....and LT...I want to see my team win some games and Cutler isn't doing that either.;)

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 01:14 AM

hell if the chargers don't straighten out, something like 7-9 or 8-8 could win this division and we could still back into the playoffs.

BroncoWave
11-03-2008, 01:15 AM

I'm surprised JakeGirl hasn't come in to gloat lately! :lol:

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Seems to me that a winning season won't be enough for some...

Playoffs won't be enough for some...

Heck... even winning one in the playoffs wouldn't be enough for everyone.

*shrug*

bet it is a real bear on mania putting out fires how many fire mikey threads today? Bet you were merging like the devil..

Actually I'd like him gone from making personnel decisions get a legit GM in here to do that and hire a DC and Defensive coaching staff that does not ultimately report to mikey..

I know that is a stretch but as long as they do they become his lackeys and we all know from 15 years experience he could give a rats ass about D..

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 03:19 AM
hell if the chargers don't straighten out, something like 7-9 or 8-8 could win this division and we could still back into the playoffs.

I'm thinking 6-10 as long as SAN does not beat us like a drum in SAN and keeps it on less point than we beat them..

BroncoTech
11-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Of course we'll make the playoffs based on Mike Shannahan's guarantee at the start of the year. I expect great things from Selvin Young as he approaches his 2000 yards this year too.

Magnificent Seven
11-03-2008, 04:02 AM
I think it was all about Cutler. Not Mike Shanahan. Jay Cutler was off for last 2 games due to his diabetes type 1 and pressure. It is all in his head. I think Cutler is stressed.

However, we got worse call from the referee. Brandon Marshall didn't do anything. I looked and reviewed it. He didn't do anything while he was running and catching. Broncos would win if there was no bad call on Marshall. Crap happens.

WARHORSE
11-03-2008, 05:10 AM

I see ya got one person to salute you.

No surprise there.

I think we have a young team, and that includes our offensive playcaller. Young teams make young mistakes, and penalties are killing us.

Shanahan isnt the one carrying the football last time I checked.

No rushing.

No win.

And dont tell me Shanahan is the reason we didnt run the ball well.

NEXT!:coffee:

Nomad
11-03-2008, 05:10 AM
bet it is a real bear on mania putting out fires how many fire mikey threads today? Bet you were merging like the devil..

Actually I'd like him gone from making personnel decisions get a legit GM in here to do that and hire a DC and Defensive coaching staff that does not ultimately report to mikey..I know that is a stretch but as long as they do they become his lackeys and we all know from 15 years experience he could give a rats ass about D..

This is the way I look at it. And if he cared anything about this team rather than himself he would do this because obviously he's not a good GM! Look at it this way we'll probably get into the top 10 draft and draft a WR!:lol:

roomemp
11-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I think my post says it all! We've seen all the changes year after year, but we see the same result on field. We knew the defense was bad, but the offense and the play calling has been putrid also. The team shows no energy and as much as I hate to say it Jay Cutler is starting to look like a Jeff George clone, big arm but doesn't know how to win. By the way, thanks for the welcome, I needed a place to vent.

See...people just say.."Shanahan is the best coach ever" why would we let him go. The reason is because Shanny is losing the team......We are playing with no passion or heart. We don't look focused. I think the time might have come where we need to bring in some new blood. We stunk the past 2 years when it comes to playing with passion and focus. What are we going to do, release the whole roster every year and pick up new player's because we believe it is the players just playing unispired? The team has not been prepared and that falls on the coaches. Look at Miami's roster. We have WAY MORE talent then them. The difference is they play with passion and heart. They are a hard nose team.

WhatEver!!!
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I would rather start another thread but it seems like it could fit into this one also.

Looking at the opponents and the scores from the last 5 games I am getting to the point of pulling out my hair and punching holes in my living room walls. I know I am asking to be harassed but I am seeing two things about the team that bother me.

1. The Master Mind was masterful with the likes of TD and Elway. But was he??? If you see the plays he is calling now you would say he has a playbook with only 5 plays in it. Cutler looks disgruntled, Marshall lost, the run game (what run game). This takes me to #2

2. Have the Bronco Players given up on Shanny?? Every week a different look on Defense but the same looks on Offense. Does that give a team a chance to win; NO. Especially when they already know what plays we are going to use.

Opponents may not know what defense we are going to play but when our own D doesn't either; advantage Opponent. Keep one form... Last night I believe they did a good job. Sacks, Ints, fumble recovery -- our D did not loose this game for us. Maybe they are finding their goove??

Our Offense is very consistant. Same looks, same plays, same everything. Any defensive coordinator can scheme our O and make it look pathetic; I.E. last 5 games. Yes, this week we added Hillis. He was awesome but a FB being our #1 receiver?? That is scary. I will not even mention the rushing; FUGLY....

Do you believe the team has given up on Shanny

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I see ya got one person to salute you.

No surprise there.

I think we have a young team, and that includes our offensive playcaller. Young teams make young mistakes, and penalties are killing us.

Shanahan isnt the one carrying the football last time I checked.

No rushing.

No win.

And dont tell me Shanahan is the reason we didnt run the ball well.

NEXT!:coffee:

YOU hit on a VERY good point this team is VERY young and that means INCONSISTENT at its apogee..

Yet it was mikey that has caused all of this youth..

His past over indigence in aging overpaid FAs that last a few years and have to retire..

cobble up with his ALMOST TOTAL failure in the DAFT from almost 1998 through 2005 and then again in 2007

He has really only had a god DRAFT in 2006 and then this year WE THINK as it will not be known for a few years how good this one was past Clady and Royale..

The only thing mikey has drafted well in the past were LB's and unwanted RB and OLINE types..

But I think everyone is pretty much on the same page now that we can no longer expect 5-7 rounders to be able to compete as starters consistently in the NFL..

Mikey is at the heart of the state of this current team the "good" and the "BAD". Now can we move on and get better? that is the 2009 question.. He is not doubt a an offensive genius past that IMHO he has fallen down on the job..

I have stated on numerous times we need a PROFESSIONAL GM and now a REAL DC and minions under him.. No more home grown wannabes or mikey butt boys..

Time for Pat to step in and give mikey the fear of God talk..

Flatinum
11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
What was he thinking yesterday when he accepted that holding call in the middle of the 4th quarter after the Dumervil sack. Instead of it being 3 and 14, he made it 2 and 19. Miami got 18yrds on that screen pass and then converted on the 4th and short. Made absolutely no sense. A Pop Warner coach would not have accepted that penalty.

What's the "Masterminds" rational behind that one.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 05:05 PM
What was he thinking yesterday when he accepted that holding call in the middle of the 4th quarter after the Dumervil sack. Instead of it being 3 and 14, he made it 2 and 19. Miami got 18yrds on that screen pass and then converted on the 4th and short. Made absolutely no sense. A Pop Warner coach would not have accepted that penalty.

What's the "Masterminds" rational behind that one.

Maybe that if they'd gotten 18 yards on a screen pass and it was 3rd and 14... it wouldn't even be 4th down?

:laugh:

I thought it was an interesting call as well... but we managed to force a 3rd and 19... which is better than 3rd and 14.... so his gamble worked. Kinda.

Kapaibro
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
So who would we get then?

Kiffin?

Nolan?

Broncolingus
11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'd like to try Nolan as DC for a season or two...

MileHighWrath
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
These threads are crap. I didn't see Shanny throw 3 picks yesterday, I didn't see Shanny injure Champ or Sheff, or S. Young, or DJ, etc.

If you are going to state that Shanny must go that's fine but your argument better include his replacement otherwise you're just restating blah blah blah and hoping the grass would be greener with anyone else as head coach which is complete BS and a waste of bandwidth.

Come on people, man up .... you want him gone then tell us who would make a better head coach for the Denver Broncos than Mike Shanahan?

WARHORSE
11-03-2008, 08:05 PM
These threads are crap. I didn't see Shanny throw 3 picks yesterday, I didn't see Shanny injure Champ or Sheff, or S. Young, or DJ, etc.

If you are going to state that Shanny must go that's fine but your argument better include his replacement otherwise you're just restating blah blah blah and hoping the grass would be greener with anyone else as head coach which is complete BS and a waste of bandwidth.

Come on people, man up .... you want him gone then tell us who would make a better head coach for the Denver Broncos than Mike Shanahan?

Let that MileHighWrath flame on. Wasnt SHannys fault Pittman went down or the running game wasnt there. This game wasnt due to any indisgressions by Shanny.

WARHORSE
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
YOU hit on a VERY good point this team is VERY young and that means INCONSISTENT at its apogee..

Yet it was mikey that has caused all of this youth..

His past over indigence in aging overpaid FAs that last a few years and have to retire..

cobble up with his ALMOST TOTAL failure in the DAFT from almost 1998 through 2005 and then again in 2007

He has really only had a god DRAFT in 2006 and then this year WE THINK as it will not be known for a few years how good this one was past Clady and Royale..

The only thing mikey has drafted well in the past were LB's and unwanted RB and OLINE types..

But I think everyone is pretty much on the same page now that we can no longer expect 5-7 rounders to be able to compete as starters consistently in the NFL..

Mikey is at the heart of the state of this current team the "good" and the "BAD". Now can we move on and get better? that is the 2009 question.. He is not doubt a an offensive genius past that IMHO he has fallen down on the job..

I have stated on numerous times we need a PROFESSIONAL GM and now a REAL DC and minions under him.. No more home grown wannabes or mikey butt boys..

Time for Pat to step in and give mikey the fear of God talk..

ooooh!

I like that.

The FEAR OF GOD talk.

heh heh!

Maybe he should just say, Mike.........call the plays again please........:D

Lonestar
11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
ooooh!

I like that.

The FEAR OF GOD talk.

heh heh!

Maybe he should just say, Mike.........call the plays again please........:D

On O for sure on D he should not even be on the field when they are playing and not in the film room when they go over it..

mikey being an Offensive genius:

IF he is giving advise on D he should be shot.

IF he is not and this is all slowicks fault, slowick should be shot..

Greatspirits
11-03-2008, 10:47 PM

To be honest with you, I couldn't give you a name, I would leave that up to Pats good judgement. The Dolphins and Falcons don't seem to be doing to bad with relatively unknown coaches. Iv'e seen more from those teams than I have from the Broncos this year. lets see, maybe someone who hasn't blown numerous draft picks over the past ten years!, or maybe someone who can bring a little energy or emotion to the team, the guys seem like zombies out there, this last game, other than Peyton Hillis and Eddie Royal, the whole team seemed to be just moping around, showing none of the emotion that you need to win in the NFL. His message has gotten old or he's continuely bringing in the wrong type of players. He's the botttom line, final decision maker on all fronts. Do you really see anything changing over the next 5 years? I dont.

LordTrychon
11-03-2008, 11:08 PM
On O for sure on D he should not even be on the field when they are playing and not in the film room when they go over it..

mikey being an Offensive genius:

IF he is giving advise on D he should be shot.

IF he is not and this is all slowicks fault slowick should be shot..

You make it sound like either way Shanny should be shot.

:eek: That's what you MEANT, isn't it! :eek:

Dean
11-03-2008, 11:25 PM
To be honest with you, I couldn't give you a name, I would leave that up to Pats good judgement. The Dolphins and Falcons don't seem to be doing to bad with relatively unknown coaches. Iv'e seen more from those teams than I have from the Broncos this year. lets see, maybe someone who hasn't blown numerous draft picks over the past ten years!, or maybe someone who can bring a little energy or emotion to the team, the guys seem like zombies out there, this last game, other than Peyton Hillis and Eddie Royal, the whole team seemed to be just moping around, showing none of the emotion that you need to win in the NFL. His message has gotten old or he's continuely bringing in the wrong type of players. He's the botttom line, final decision maker on all fronts. Do you really see anything changing over the next 5 years? I dont.

Teams with multiple years of top five picks can make relatively unknown coaches do very well.

When was the last year that the Broncos had even a single top five pick? :confused: Oh, never mind. They never have.:salute:

Greatspirits
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Teams with multiple years of top five picks can make relatively unknown coaches do very well.

When was the last year that the Broncos had even a single top five pick? :confused: Oh, never mind. They never have.:salute:

Well lets see, when your mediocre every year, you usually finish at about 8-8, so your stuck in that middle of the road draft picks! Thats what I'm saying we continue to be an average to below average football team and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

MileHighWrath
11-04-2008, 12:32 AM
To be honest with you, I couldn't give you a name, I would leave that up to Pats good judgement....

Pat's good judgment is: Mike Shanahan; Broncos coach for life. Deal.

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 12:35 AM

You make it sound like either way Shanny should be shot.

:eek: That's what you MEANT, isn't it! :eek:

NO I meant slowick in the last part it has been fixed.. thanks for catching it..

Krugan
11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Just for grins, Shanny was placed onto a team with 3 hall of fame players in place.(well 2 for sure, and 1 that better get in or there is no justice, not to mention a couple others that very well could be on the team)

Of course when you have that kind of talent and drive on one side of the ball, you are going to look like a mastermind.

Since those pieces have left, the team has been mediocre, to poor. Could it possibly be that he is only viewed as what he is based upon the greatness that he was surrounded by?

It also seems these last couple years, or teams have been flat and unprepared, as opposed to firey and on ready to go on gameday. Where does that blame fall?

These are just questions, im really not sure how I feel about this discussion yet.

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Who were the three already on the team?

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Sharpe, Atwater, Elway. Got it.

edit: oops. Zim.

smith49
11-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Who were the three already on the team?

oooh, i think i can guess. elway............lets seee, i think rod came off the practice squad, but i think shanny brought him in in the first place. not sure on that one. lets see who else is there, sharpe? no i think shanny brought him in, could be wrong about that. davis? no definetly a shanny guy. crap, i can only for sure think of one, and that is the easy one- Elway. i would like to know the three also. im not saying they were not there, but i don't remember them being there before shanny. help from the stat geeks would be appreciated.

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Sharpe and Zim were already there. Plus elway that would be three.

smith49
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Sharpe, Atwater, Elway. Got it.

edit: oops. Zim.

oops, shoulda checked the last post before posting:D

Fan in Exile
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's a link (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1994_roster.htm) to our Roster in 1994 the year before he got here. ELway, Sharpe, and Zim were already here.

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
He had three great players in place along with ROD whom he was at first hesitant to use.. It was Rods drive that made him the player he was.. also NOBODY ever thought that TD would turn out to be what he was..

Does anyone really truly believe he would have succeeded in any other running scheme..

While he was a force he was "slow compared to normal RB standards. and while he seemed to have overdrive once he got into the open filed well we all know folks with his history in college he was a HUGE long shot to see that field on any other team.. Hell until he caught mikeys eye on ST it was acknowledged he was getting cut..

Having 4-5 HOF on your team upfront and then having the likes of Eddie mac who sucked ever where he was, well was it coaches brilliance or player playing above there heads. Having Bobby Tuner on staff Alex Gibbs and Gary K one now has to wonder how much was mikey the mastermind or did he just cobble together a winning team and since all but Turner are gone where did the magic go..

about the only home runs he made in the draft were price, Wilson, TD and maybe gold in those early years.. the rest for the most part were pretty pedestrian..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 01:47 PM
about the only home runs he made in the draft were price, Wilson, TD and maybe gold in those early years.. the rest for the most part were pretty pedestrian..

I would add Portis and Mobely to that list.

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I would add Portis and Mobley to that list.

Poortis was after the super bowl years and that was what I was trying to get at.

yes Mobley should be on the list a damned fine LB but if you look at his drafting successes they are almost all LB's..

yes I know that some Will say we did well with late round RB's and OLINE types. but IMO those were more of a ZBS scheme thingy.. they were players that most likely would have never succeeded in the real NFL without getting their feet wet in DEN..

How many teams would have given MA a chance being as old as he was coming out of college.. if the would have drafted him does anyone think he would have made it through Training camp on another team other than made ST's..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Poortis was after the super bowl years and that was what I was trying to get at.

yes Mobley should be on the list a damned fine LB but if you look at his drafting successes they are almost all LB's..

yes I know that some Will say we did well with late round RB's and OLINE types. but IMO those were more of a ZBS scheme thingy.. they were players that most likely would have never succeeded in the real NFL without getting their feet wet in DEN..

How many teams would have given MA a chance being as old as he was coming out of college.. if the would have drafted him does anyone think he would have made it through Training camp on another team other than made ST's..

Wilson was after the SB's. Thats what threw me off.

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Wilson was after the SB's. Thats what threw me off.

same year as the last SB victory.. sorry about that..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
same year as the last SB victory.. sorry about that..

Drafted in the same year as the last superbowl, but after the superbowl. So the list is Mobely Price and TD. 3/29 picks. :puke:

We had 5 picks in the 1st three rounds and 12 overall in that Wilson draft. Man.:tsk:

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Here is our draft history.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Here is our draft history.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

I refer to it all the time..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I refer to it all the time..

I get fed up with the shanny hater threads about twice a year and go to it to start building a case against them.

Then I drink.

MOtorboat
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Then I drink.

:beer:

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 03:22 PM

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I get fed up with the shanny hater threads about twice a year and go to it to start building a case against them.

Then I drink.

Well I;m one of those guys that do not like mikey as HC or GM..

I've always said he is superb on offense but past that as GM overall barring the last few years and some are blaming Ted for before and now praising Goodman for now..

I'm not sure what to believe there or was it the scouts all the while or the position coaches screwing the pooch in evaluating the college kids..

Any way other than the past couple of drafts he is really bad past LB on day one..

We really need a REAL professional PAST qualified GM to come in and run the Personnel side and allow another professional DC to come on board and fix the D.. AS IMHO mikey is incapable of doing all three jobs..

Let him be the HC but make sure the GM and DC have the authority to get great players to do the job..

I'm sick and tired of hearing how great he is and he is irreplaceable. Because as good as he WAS he has not shown me anything since 1999.. Other than how to screw up a team via the DAFT..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm sick and tired of hearing how great he is and he is irreplaceable. Because as good as he WAS he has not shown me anything since 1999.. Other than how to screw up a team via the DAFT..

As a GM, sure, can't argue outside of the last 3 drafts. But the poor GM'ing should actually reenforce his effectiveness as a coach considering we did make the AFCCG in 2005. :coffee:

Lonestar
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
As a GM, sure, can't argue outside of the last 3 drafts. But the poor GM'ing should actually reenforce his effectiveness as a coach considering we did make the AFCCG in 2005. :coffee:

but remember we got our asses handed to us in that game and we have been reeling every since..

OMorange&blue
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Not even true. We were kicking ass in 2006 until Al went down and the D fell apart. (that and *ake couldn't stop throwing picks.)

Lonestar
11-05-2008, 12:41 AM
but remember we got our asses handed to us in that game and we have been reeling every since..

Did you see the PIT championship game?

that is what I was referring to..

We had a great year till the smoke and mirrors broke, in that game...

since then it has been all down hill..

smith49
11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Well I;m one of those guys that do not like mikey as HC or GM..

I've always said he is superb on offense but past that as GM overall barring the last few years and some are blaming Ted for before and now praising Goodman for now..

I'm not sure what to believe there or was it the scouts all the while or the position coaches screwing the pooch in evaluating the college kids..

Any way other than the past couple of drafts he is really bad past LB on day one..

We really need a REAL professional PAST qualified GM to come in and run the Personnel side and allow another professional DC to come on board and fix the D.. AS IMHO mikey is incapable of doing all three jobs..

Let him be the HC but make sure the GM and DC have the authority to get great players to do the job..

i whole heartedly agree. shanny needs to let a real gm do the job. as well as a dc that has authority to do it his own way. shanny has got to realize at some point that he cant do it all.

BigSarge87
11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Ok, most people agree Shanny should just be HC and geared toward the offense and Pat should hire a proven DC and a GM.

End of Discussion, this thing has been drawn out to unbelievable levels.