PDA

View Full Version : Position by position -- how far away do you think the Broncos are?

Tned
06-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Ok, maybe rather than Orton/Tebow and Shanahan/McDaniels arguments, we can do a roster breakdown.

Post whether you think we have a quality starter, stop-gap player or major hole at each position.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Good thread, Tned. Maybe it will get the conversation off of the lockout for awhile.

Here's my take:

Offense

QB - Orton, Tebow, Quinn. I think we're relatively "set" at this position right now. I'm of the mindset that I doubt we'll move Orton and he'll probably end up starting due to the shortened offseason. Any way we go, any of these guys is a serviceable QB for this season.

HB - Moreno, Buckhalter, Ball, White. If it wasn't for the fact that all except Ball have an injury history, I'd say we're okay here, too. I'd love to see us bring in a stud to pair with Moreno and let Buck go because he spends more time on the injury report than not - always has. We're okay going into the season as is, but not great if we want to run a lot.

FB - Larsen. If we plan to run the ball, we need to get better here.

WR - Lloyd, Royal, Gaffney, Decker, Thomas, Willis, Davis. Even with Thomas potentially missing the whole season, we're still more than okay at this position. Our deepest group on offense.

TE - Quinn, Gronkowski, Thomas, Green, Coats. Hopefully, our two rookies will contribute in the passing game. If not, we really have nobody.

OT - Clady, Franklin, Taylor, Clark, maybe Harris. Harris is potentially a RFA that we did tender before the lockout started so he might be back. Hopefully, Franklin will turn out like he's supposed to. If Harris leaves and Franklin turns out to be another George Foster, we're gonna be in trouble.

G - Kuper, Beadles, Hochstein, Daniels, and a couple scrubs. Solid but not really spectacular. Hopefully Beadles will be ready and live up to his second round grade this year.

C - Walton, Olsen. Should be fine here. Walton played pretty well late last year and if he can stop telegraphing the snap this season, it should help.

Defense

DE - Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Beal, and a handful of other dudes. The biggest factor is the return of Dumervil. He's the guy that will make us or break us as far as front four pass rush. If he's healthy, the rest is gravy.

DT - Vickerson, maybe Thomas (RFA?), and __. Who we find to fill in the __ will be the difference here. This is our weakest position BY FAR and was so going into the draft. If we don't find some guys in FA, it really doesn't matter because we will be 32nd in rushing yds against this year.

ILB - Mays, Irving, maybe Haggan. I have no idea where Haggan fits into a 4-3 so I stuck him at MIKE but might backup Miller at SAM. We'll know more once we've seen Irving in action. Hopefully he's the guy that everyone wants him to be.

OLB - Williams, Miller, Mohamed, maybe Woodyard (RFA), possibly Haggan. Once again, I don't really know where most of these guys are going to be playing other than DJ and Miller being the starters. Should be fine, though.

CB - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Squid, Vaughn, Jones, Jackson. Our strongest position on defense by far. The top 5 will stick and we'll be fine with them. the only ? is Cox's upcoming trial.

S - Dawkins, Hill, Moore, Carter, McBath, Bruton. This has he potential to be the most interesting competition during camp (if there is one). This may be the year that Dawkins, or Hill, or both actually lose their starting jobs. 2 guys on this list probably won't make the regular season opener (probably only carry 4 Safeties). Who gets cut in camp will be interesting. Of all of them, I think McBath is on the thinnest ice because he can't stay healthy and Bruton is a STs beast. We'll see.

STs - Prater, Colquitt. Both of these guys are fine and I see no reason they won't be the starters again this year.

That's pretty much how I see it. There are couple positions I'm not worried about (QB, WR, CB) and some I'm very worried about (DT, TE) and some that should be fun to watch and see who emerges as the guy (RB, S). I'm not expecting anything this season and any improvement on 4-12 is just gravy. This year, I can actually just try to enjoy watching and not wish the coach would get fired every week. Should be fun and relaxing to watch my Broncos for the first time in a long time.

chazoe60
06-13-2011, 08:15 AM
QB- stopgap guy named as starter but a potential quality starter waiting in the wings. Depends which way the coaching staff decides to go.

RB- I think we're okay here, not great but okay. I saw flashes from Knowshonn that looked real good but I think we need to augment him with one more quality starter. It's a two back NFL now and I think Buck is almost done.

WR- we're set. Deepest position on the team.

TE- total question mark here. I think we're fine for blocking TEs but receiving TEs is a question. Hope the youngsters pan out.

T- I like Clady but RT seems to be a question mark right now, which could be huge if we go with the lefty. If Franklin pans out we'll be fine. Seems obvious we're letting Harris walk.

G- I like what we have here to be honest. I think Beattles improves in year two and Kuper is pretty good IMHO.

DT- THIN THIN THIN THIN THIN. I'm fine with not drafting one because I believe EFEX had a plan and stuck to it and refused to reach for guys not on their board, but we better pick up some beef in FA whenever that starts. I like Vickerson and hope we resign Thomas, who I thought had a much better season than people realize, but we need more here and we need that one big cornerstone DT. Next years draft I guess for the cornerstone type guy.

DE- most interesting spot on D I think. Doom, Ayers and some other guys who all have distinct and differing talents. I think this is the spot we'll see a lot of experimentation and situational platooning galore.

LB- I like this group. Some young, some old. This is a good group for us I think we're covered at all spots here.

CB- Champ, Goodman, and some young guys. We should be fine here. Hope Cox stays out of prison(if he's innocent, punish the guilty I say even if they're Broncos).

S- As HP56 said, this is a deep and interesting group. Should be fun competition to watch. I really like McBath, I hope he can stay healthy.

P/k- love what we have here. Both guys are good young Players.

Lonestar
06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Overall I see each spot except DT as good to great as front line guys but as in the the past 15'years almost no quality depth behind the starter.
Hope That this years rookie class will help to fix the issue.

Hopefully they can pickup a couple of players in FA to plug gapping holes on the Dl (DT).
Heard the fox thinks ayers can play DT unless he packs on 50 pounds that is not going to happen. IIRC he played at about 265 or so last year. Maybe an occasional blow for a DT or in a straight passing situation but long-term nada unless he puts lots of weight (muscle) on. Under 315 there won't make it defending the run.

TXBRONC
06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Good thread, Tned. Maybe it will get the conversation off of the lockout for awhile.

Here's my take:

Offense

QB - Orton, Tebow, Quinn. I think we're relatively "set" at this position right now. I'm of the mindset that I doubt we'll move Orton and he'll probably end up starting due to the shortened offseason. Any way we go, any of these guys is a serviceable QB for this season.

HB - Moreno, Buckhalter, Ball, White. If it wasn't for the fact that all except Ball have an injury history, I'd say we're okay here, too. I'd love to see us bring in a stud to pair with Moreno and let Buck go because he spends more time on the injury report than not - always has. We're okay going into the season as is, but not great if we want to run a lot.

WR - Lloyd, Royal, Gaffney, Decker, Thomas, Willis, Davis. Even with Thomas potentially missing the whole season, we're still more than okay at this position. Our deepest group on offense.

TE - Quinn, Gronkowski, Thomas, Green, Coats. Hopefully, our two rookies will contribute in the passing game. If not, we really have nobody.

OT - Clady, Franklin, Taylor, Clark, maybe Harris. Harris is potentially a RFA that we did tender before the lockout started so he might be back. Hopefully, Franklin will turn out like he's supposed to. If Harris leaves and Franklin turns out to be another George Foster, we're gonna be in trouble.

G - Kuper, Beadles, Hochstein, Daniels, and a couple scrubs. Solid but not really spectacular. Hopefully Beadles will be ready and live up to his second round grade this year.

C - Walton, Olsen. Should be fine here. Walton played pretty well late last year and if he can stop telegraphing the snap this season, it should help.

Defense

DE - Dumervil, Ayers, Hunter, Beal, and a handful of other dudes. The biggest factor is the return of Dumervil. He's the guy that will make us or break us as far as front four pass rush. If he's healthy, the rest is gravy.

DT - Vickerson, maybe Thomas (RFA?), and __. Who we find to fill in the __ will be the difference here. This is our weakest position BY FAR and was so going into the draft. If we don't find some guys in FA, it really doesn't matter because we will be 32nd in rushing yds against this year.

ILB - Mays, Irving, maybe Haggan. I have no idea where Haggan fits into a 4-3 so I stuck him at MIKE but might backup Miller at SAM. We'll know more once we've seen Irving in action. Hopefully he's the guy that everyone wants him to be.

OLB - Williams, Miller, Mohamed, maybe Woodyard (RFA), possibly Haggan. Once again, I don't really know where most of these guys are going to be playing other than DJ and Miller being the starters. Should be fine, though.

CB - Champ, Goodman, Cox, Squid, Vaughn, Jones, Jackson. Our strongest position on defense by far. The top 5 will stick and we'll be fine with them. the only ? is Cox's upcoming trial.

S - Dawkins, Hill, Moore, Carter, McBath, Bruton. This has he potential to be the most interesting competition during camp (if there is one). This may be the year that Dawkins, or Hill, or both actually lose their starting jobs. 2 guys on this list probably won't make the regular season opener (probably only carry 4 Safeties). Who gets cut in camp will be interesting. Of all of them, I think McBath is on the thinnest ice because he can't stay healthy and Bruton is a STs beast. We'll see.

STs - Prater, Colquitt. Both of these guys are fine and I see no reason they won't be the starters again this year.

That's pretty much how I see it. There are couple positions I'm not worried about (QB, WR, CB) and some I'm very worried about (DT, TE) and some that should be fun to watch and see who emerges as the guy (RB, S). I'm not expecting anything this season and any improvement on 4-12 is just gravy. This year, I can actually just try to enjoy watching and not wish the coach would get fired every week. Should be fun and relaxing to watch my Broncos for the first time in a long time.

Good job HP.

I'm going to piggy back off of your hard work. :beer:

Offense:

At quarterback I think you're dead on. However I do think that if CBA gets done by the end of the month there is a real possibility the EFX tries to move Orton. If that happens I see us signing a veteran like Jake Delhomme or Marc Bulger.

According to Fox they are looking to bolster the corps of running backs. It makes sense because Moreno and Buckhalter have had problems staying healthy enough to stay on the field. Ball provides good depth but if we were dependent on him to carry the running game I would be leery.

Having just one fullback on the roster isn't going to cut it. However from the end of the draft press conference it sounds like Virgil Green might be used in the capacity or a move tight end as Fox put it. I guess that means they see Green as more of a h back.

Wide receiver is pretty good shape as you said. I just wish Thomas could stay healthy because he is probably the most physically gift receiver we have. The problem is he wont be available to us this year.

Again as you said center is set with Walton as starter and Olsen as his back up.

I fee the same way with rest of the offensive line with our without Harris. Quite honestly I don't think Harris is coming back and if heard EFX correctly Franklin is already looked upon as the starter at right tackle.

I really don't know what to think about tight end. R. Quinn is definitely a blocking tight end with hands of granite. And what do we have in Gronkowski? The two rookies are projects. Thomas while he could be very much a Gates type tight end it could take him year to get up to speed just as it did with Gates.

Defense:

It's hard to overstate just how much a healthy Dumevil means to the defense atp. Moving Ayers back to his natural position should also be a huge help. With his size according to Fox they see him sliding over to defensive tackle in certain situations. McBean and Beal should provide good depth.

Defensive tackle is the weakest position on the team. Vickerson should be solid nothing spectacular. Other him really no one else. As mentioned earlier right now it looks like Ayers will slide over to defensive tackle but it's hard to say. Like you said maybe they bring back Marcus Thomas and hopefully we can get another starter through free agency. Bannan might be coming back as well as Thomas.

The linebacking corp could be really good if Miller, Irving, and Williams could very good. Woodyard is the best of the back ups imho.

I agree the secondary should be solid. They might even be very good if we can generate a consistent pass rush.

Special teams are fine with Prater and Colquitt. You for got to mention we have the most awesome long snapper to ever play the game in Lonnie Paxton and definitely the highest paid long snapper in the League. Really that not a shot at Paxton who imo is no better or no worse than any other capable long snapper. It irks me that McDaniels over spent on a long snapper. Nevertheless it is what it is.

BroncoStud
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I'd like to see the plan at DT first. That's going to be huge going forward, right now I'm less than impressed.

horsepig
06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Biggest weakness: "The Orange Donut" defense.

Nothing in the middle.

Lonestar
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Nothing in the middle.

That B the straight Poop

TXBRONC
06-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Overall I see each spot except DT as good to great as front line guys but as in the the past 15'years almost no quality depth behind the starter.
Hope That this years rookie class will help to fix the issue.

Hopefully they can pickup a couple of players in FA to plug gapping holes on the Dl (DT).
Heard the fox thinks ayers can play DT unless he packs on 50 pounds that is not going to happen. IIRC he played at about 265 or so last year. Maybe an occasional blow for a DT or in a straight passing situation but long-term nada unless he puts lots of weight (muscle) on. Under 315 there won't make it defending the run.

What Fox said in certain packages he envisions Ayers sliding over to defensive tackle. I haven't seen any quotes from Fox that he plans to put Ayers at defensive tackle permanently. In fact right now according to Fox he starting defensive end opposite Dumervil. Btw where did you hear that Ayers playing weight was 265 lbs or are you making an assumption?

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I found this on ESPN....http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/27748/ranking-the-offensive-lineman

With our new addition to Franklin, I think our O-line will be solid.

Ravage!!!
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I think OL is our most solid position on offense.

I'm not sold on the WRs, because all we have is a 8 yr WR that had one good year, a slot receiver that hasn't been a threat since Shanahan left, and some rookies that haven't done squat (and I just don't consider Gaffney at all). So I'm not sure where everyone sees our WR corp being so 'set.' Lloyd has never had a single season that was close to last year's production, not to mention two in a row.

RBs need some MAJOR help. We don't have any speed, and unless White can come back from that injury, I don't see any power. Lets hope that we can acquire something in FA.

FB. Larsen is all we have, and that's troublesome.

QB. Servicable bodies. I don't really see anyone I think is the future of this team. But I think our first round choice last year gives us the best chance.

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

I'm not sold on the WRs, because all we have is a 8 yr WR that had one good year, a slot receiver that hasn't been a threat since Shanahan left, and some rookies that haven't done squat (and I just don't consider Gaffney at all). So I'm not sure where everyone sees our WR corp being so 'set.' Lloyd has never had a single season that was close to last year's production, not to mention two in a row.

RBs need some MAJOR help. We don't have any speed, and unless White can come back from that injury, I don't see any power. Lets hope that we can acquire something in FA.

QB. Servicable bodies. I don't really see anyone I think is the future of this team. But I think our first round choice last year gives us the best chance.

I receiving corps was talked about being the deepest position last year. Gaffney was alright, Royal has not shown much but he has the potential, Thomas showed some talent if you can stay healthy, Decker I see being the similar to McCaffery, and we will have Willis back, Britt Davis has been working with Tebow a lot, and we have Lloyd who has stepped up (averaged 15 yards most of career per catch).

RBs I see Moreno being a good RB if he can stay healthy. He was running well when healthy. He was over 779 yards on 182 attempts which is half the carries of the guys who broke 1000+ yard season and missed 3 games. He needs another strong RB to complement him. I think our other RBs are done. White wont come back 100%. I dont even know the other 3 RB on the roster.

FB Larson is all we got....enough?

QB.....Tebow will prove this year if he is the guy for our future.

topscribe
06-13-2011, 12:55 PM

Here's my take:

Offense

Defense

Hmmm . . . I thought all I had to do was to quote your post, and you would see my ideas.

So I did . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

SOCALORADO.
06-13-2011, 01:03 PM
As i see it, the team needs a high profile RB with speed than can change the outcome of a game. And a real, true FB.
On defense, the grand canyon up the middle is STILL the biggest weakness on the team, and opposing teams are gonna have a field day again, unless something major is done in FA. 2 DTs are needed obviously. There needs to be a serious attempt at shoring up this hole.
However, if the DEN FO can blitzkrieg FA the moment it opens, then DEN might have a chance at fielding a solid team this next year.
BTW, FA will be insane. Its gonna happen so fast, and the deals are all gonna go down in the span of a few days. DEN has to be super-pro-active.
I think in terms of the word "set", well, this team is as "set" as it can get becuase these are the players that the FO went with, so we will just have to wait and see. Most of them are still unproven, and no one knows yet.

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Here's my take:

Offense

Defense

Just wanted to comment about the Safeties/CB section. You mentioned some of them prob wont be on the regular season opener. Dont forget Special Teams, some of those guys did well last year (McBath, Bruton, along with Vaughn).

I however could see Goodman, Jones or Hill being cut or traded. Along with a handfull of LBs, since we have a lot (some of our bigger name players could be traded to get a DT). Fox and Elway have a huge push for younger players. We could very well see some of our older vets traded (except Dawkins who was mentioned to stay because of his leadership and passion, who I think will remain on team till contract is over).

Juriga72
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
QB- Nothing makes me swoon here....... I KNOW Orton/Quinn are not it...Tebow? WHO knows....3 games means squat IMHO

RB-Nada here guy's..... NADA. MAYBE Lendale keeps off the tea-kill-ya and stays @ 220 I doubt it tho...

FB- He's looking good in Brown right now

Wideouts- meh...... ONE year does not a NFL receiver make, Royal somehow needs to show he is still on our team..... DT?? god.. JUST stay healthy for once.

TE = black hole

OL- Bright spot on whole damn team...... "How do you lead the NFL in + 20 yard pass plays?".... "You have a group who can keep a statue upright" Its really hard to complete a pass for more than 20 yards with a guy sitting on our QB's head.

DL- definition of "Suckage"... Look up the word in Webster's and their picture is in it. Doom makes it almost passible for D-3 this year......

LB- So fast they run by each other not tackling anyone......

DB/DS- Here's an Idea...... "What team has had the Secondary as team leaders in sacks/Pass defended/tackles?INT"????? Our 2011 Denver Bronco's

Special Teams?- They call them "Special" fro a reason..... as in "Olympics"

IMHO...... We are only 7-9 players away on each side of the ball

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
QB- Nothing makes me swoon here....... I KNOW Orton/Quinn are not it...Tebow? WHO knows....3 games means squat IMHO

RB-Nada here guy's..... NADA. MAYBE Lendale keeps off the tea-kill-ya and stays @ 220 I doubt it tho...

FB- He's looking good in Brown right now

Wideouts- meh...... ONE year does not a NFL receiver make, Royal somehow needs to show he is still on our team..... DT?? god.. JUST stay healthy for once.

TE = black hole

OL- Bright spot on whole damn team...... "How do you lead the NFL in + 20 yard pass plays?".... "You have a group who can keep a statue upright" Its really hard to complete a pass for more than 20 yards with a guy sitting on our QB's head.

DL- definition of "Suckage"... Look up the word in Webster's and their picture is in it. Doom makes it almost passible for D-3 this year......

DB/DS- Here's an Idea...... "What team has had the Secondary as team leaders in sacks/Pass defended/tackles?INT"????? Our 2011 Denver Bronco's

Special Teams?- They call them "Special" fro a reason..... as in "Olympics"

You must hate the Broncos.

Juriga72
06-13-2011, 01:31 PM
You must hate the Broncos.

No... I look at them with clear glasses. Others seem to think that 4-12 is "Just a mild set back"

I myself see the sadness that is our team. Unless you think having a new Offense, new Defense, new HC/OC/DC/SPC with no practices........ will somehow make it better this year.

Oh.... and our "Starting QB" is 11-21 over the last 2 years

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
No... I look at them with clear glasses. Others seem to think that 4-12 is "Just a mild set back"

I myself see the sadness that is our team. Unless you think having a new Offense, new Defense, new HC/OC/DC/SPC with no practices........ will somehow make it better this year.

Oh.... and our "Starting QB" is 11-21 over the last 2 years

I see the 8-8 team from the year before, with the same leadership and was given a horrid coach and some of its players traded and now replaced. BTW we have the same OC. The OL was not ment to be zone blocking, and we had a very aging defense that is dramatically younger. 4-12 was a major setback, but we were not blow out each of those games. We were blown out by division rivals. We barely lost to some of the top AFC teams last year (Jets for one). I saw horrible coaching as the major downfall for the team. You may say a bad running game is not the coach, listen to Terrel Davis, you dont send a guy in for a run and then take him out and 2 series later let him run again, you have to let him run it more to get into a rhythm. Bad coaching in the way of play calling. He demeaned and belittled the whole team all the time, more bad coaching. You play pass heavy because your RBs are not producing because you are not utilizing them correctly and the defense learns how to defend you, bad coaching. You change your OL 5 different times in a season so they are changing positions and not learning how to play as an good O-Line, bad coaching. Trading good players because you dont like them, bad coaching.

I can blame 90% of our season on the bad coaching of McDaniels. He was playing as HC rather than being a real HC. He was given too much responsibility and cost us. He picked has beens to our defense, Jamaal Williams and traded players like a 2 rounder for a 7th round TE. This team is not as bad as you say it is, we were not ranked low in passing, or special teams. We were ranked low in every category for defense because we had no DL and gav ethe QB time to pick apart our DBs. Our running game was low because they were not used correctly.

tomjonesrocks
06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Obviously very subjective but most opinions here are far more optimistic than mine.

How many positions does this team rank in the top 10 compared with the rest of the NFL? Not many.

NorCalBronco7
06-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Suprisingly, and I just read this on profootballtalk, the Broncos were one of the best tackling teams last year. No joke.

NightTerror218
06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Obviously very subjective but most opinions here are far more optimistic than mine.

How many positions does this team rank in the top 10 compared with the rest of the NFL? Not many.

With a 4-12 team, none should be.

tomjonesrocks
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Snip, snip...

I don't really agree with all the analysis you provided, but I do have the same underwhelmed sentiment at pretty much every position on the roster.

This team is a decimated mess right now that needs years of talent acquisition to fix IMO.

Juriga72
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Suprisingly, and I just read this on profootballtalk, the Broncos were one of the best tackling teams last year. No joke.

I cannot even fthom how many times I saw one of us run by and not get a tackle....

damn. LOL
Either way it was also probably 10 yards downfield.....lol

SpringsBroncoFan
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Nothing in the middle.

Lol, so true... :shocked:

Don't think we'll see any help from Irving this year so hopefully Mays can fill in until he's ready... too much to learn in a short season... same for Moore but for other reasons... I think Q will help more than Moore this year...

DL ... :confused:

Even 8 games are gonna be a long year in the donut...

Of the undrafteds, I'm at least hoping for Williams & Hynoski to help fill the donut holes...

HORSEPOWER 56
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM

Best tackling, or most tackling? Having high numbers of tackles on defense is a horrible stat... it means you can't get off the field on 3rd down and that other teams are moving at will on you forcing you to make tackles.

It would be interesting to see what they used to determine "best tackling". It also doesn't mean shit if you aren't tackling opposing RBs until 5 yards downfield, either... even if it's the first guy with a shot making the tackle.

Calling us one of the "best tackling" teams last year is probably derived from some misleading stat. Another reason not to believe stats. I saw our defense play and know they sucked at tackling.

atwater27
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
You guys are waaaay too rosy..

QB... average. Orton or Tebow could probably pull a Dilfer or an Eli Manning if our defense suddenly morphed into the Orange Crush. Otherwise, no championships behind their arms.

RB... average. and old. and injury prone. virtually no upside.

WR... Alot of folks think it's our strength. No way. Speaking of injury prone, we have a bunch of easily injured players, with a few players having potentially career threatening ailments. Eddie Royal? Overrated. Like his work ethic and motor. But he really isn't that good. Lloyd? Waited a little too long to break out, not horribly excited about his future here. He is 29, by the time we start getting better he'll be on the down side of his effectiveness.

TE... some potential here. If you like projects.

I won't get into the O-line other than it is probably the strength of the team, and the most likely to get better.

DE... Never been impressed with Ayers, Doom obviously is the class of our defense. Hope he can hold up against the run, because he will get run at ALOT for the next couple of years.

DT... An absolute, unmitigated disaster. The black hole of our defense. There is no hope.

LB corps... Not where I would have started rebuilding, but hey, it is the only group of guys I have hope for on this team. Pretty solid group, they will have their hands full and be battered and bruised this season, as they will have fullbacks, tight ends, pulling guards and running backs lining up to punish them. I feel bad for them already.

Corner... solid, but with no hope for the future and an inevitable downgrading for next season. Champ isn't getting any younger, and Goodman won't get any better.

Safety.... I want to be optimistic about this position, as we have young, dynamic talent. Then I remember how hard it is in this day and age to find a good safety (or 2). Jury is out on this position.

Special teams... Could surprise us this season. But with the current state of our offense and defense, it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Coaching/front office.... They have a lot to prove to me. Not even Fox so much.

broncohead
06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
QB- ok. I would like to see what Tebow has for a full season. I like Orton IF we had an overall good team offensively and defensively but we don't and won't be there for a while.

RB- ok. I think Moreno (well running game as a whole) will benefit greatly with Fox as HC. I do think we need another RB to split time though and we don't have that RB on the roster. Never liked White tbh but he prob won't be back. Buck and Ball are easily replaceable.

FB- Need a true FB FA signing a must if we are gonna run the ball

TE- Unknown at this point. Hopefully someone steps up and becomes at least a serviceable starter. Would like to see a FA starting caliber player added. Doesn't have to be the top TE but a vet who's been around that will add competition

WR- We are set here. I hope Lloyd isn't a one year wonder. Royal has been under utilized imo. Thomas and Decker should both be good receivers if they can stay healthy

OL- Again we had a horrible scheme and i'm optimistic that the OL will benefit from the change. A lot of young talent that should grow.

DL- Ayers will benefit from the move to his hand in the dirt. He was never a pass rusher and didn't like the pick because we were gonna run a 3-4. He will be very solid for us. Dume will suffer a little in the run game but will make up for it with his pass rushing imo. Unless a trade happens or we give up big bucks for a top DT in FA (who is there) we will be very weak here... again.

LB- Should be one of the stronger positions on the team. I like DJ back at will, miller at sam, and Irving/mays at Mike. We just need a DT to keep OL off them...

CB- Set for next season but should be thinking of upgrading through the draft IF none of the young bucks step up

S- we have 4 young guys here. Should be interesting how this plays out. I think McBath is to soft and he's injured a lot so I don't see him making it imo.

k/p- Good here

Canmore
06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
QB- While Im not in love with any of them we are set for the near future here. What ever direction Fox and Elway go is all right with me.

RB- We need a whole stable to pair with Moreno.

FB- We need one of these, a big bruising one that can catch. Isn't Larsen still here? I don't think he is the answer.

TE- We have a number of them but whos going to start, Quinn? Can he catch anything? The rookies are very questionable, potential yes but just that.

WR- We are probably set here but I still see question marks. Thomas' injury, is Lloyd a one year wonder and are we ever going to see the potential of Royal put into production.

OL- We could use some servicable back-ups. Clady must regain his pre-injury form and the first year players Walton and Beadles must step up. Franklin is an unknown but will hopefully bring a nasty edge to the group.

DL- Doom must be healthy. If Ayers is ever going to show anything this is his put up year with the switch back to DE. Defensive Tackles, there are none. If we don't pick up at least two in free agency we are hosed.

LB- DJ and Miller should be at least fine, hopefully great but who is going to play in the middle?

CB- I think we are set here for the moment but Goodman and Champ are not young and Cox may be on borrowed time.

S- A lot of potential that needs to turn into production.

K/P- OK

KR- Royal is above average.

Overall- A lot of question marks in my mind and one big glaring hole, right in the middle, that must be filled.

hamrob
06-14-2011, 01:12 AM
1. DT - We need big time help
2. RB - See number 1 above (Moreno...3yds and a cloud of dust)
3. TE - Nobody stands out at this point
4. MLB - Let's see it on tape (w/DT & MLB in dissaray we are hurting up the middle)

Asked to rate the above 4 positions overall for our team...I'd give us a 4 on a scale of 1-10. If we can improve these areas, we will be competetive.

Pick up a stud DT in Free Agency and D Williams at RB and we are all of a sudden a 7. Then let our rookies chip in at TE and MLB...and hey we have something.

We'll see. It's too early to say.

sneakers
06-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Offense - kinda good

Defense - kinda bad.

Canmore
06-14-2011, 03:24 AM
1. DT - We need big time help
2. RB - See number 1 above (Moreno...3yds and a cloud of dust)
3. TE - Nobody stands out at this point
4. MLB - Let's see it on tape (w/DT & MLB in dissaray we are hurting up the middle)

Asked to rate the above 4 positions overall for our team...I'd give us a 4 on a scale of 1-10. If we can improve these areas, we will be competetive.

Pick up a stud DT in Free Agency and D Williams at RB and we are all of a sudden a 7. Then let our rookies chip in at TE and MLB...and hey we have something.

We'll see. It's too early to say.

I think your being a little generous with you ratings. Defensive tackle is such a gaping hole and with the uncertainy at middle linebacker, I wouldn't go over three and I'm leaning toward a two. Call it 2.5. We need more than one stud defensive tackle. DeAngelo Williams would be nice but I don't see us paying the price. With them I would go five maybe 5.5, but I would love to see those signings.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
You guys are waaaay too rosy..

QB... average. Orton or Tebow could probably pull a Dilfer or an Eli Manning if our defense suddenly morphed into the Orange Crush. Otherwise, no championships behind their arms.

RB... average. and old. and injury prone. virtually no upside.

WR... Alot of folks think it's our strength. No way. Speaking of injury prone, we have a bunch of easily injured players, with a few players having potentially career threatening ailments. Eddie Royal? Overrated. Like his work ethic and motor. But he really isn't that good. Lloyd? Waited a little too long to break out, not horribly excited about his future here. He is 29, by the time we start getting better he'll be on the down side of his effectiveness.

TE... some potential here. If you like projects.

I won't get into the O-line other than it is probably the strength of the team, and the most likely to get better.

DE... Never been impressed with Ayers, Doom obviously is the class of our defense. Hope he can hold up against the run, because he will get run at ALOT for the next couple of years.

DT... An absolute, unmitigated disaster. The black hole of our defense. There is no hope.

LB corps... Not where I would have started rebuilding, but hey, it is the only group of guys I have hope for on this team. Pretty solid group, they will have their hands full and be battered and bruised this season, as they will have fullbacks, tight ends, pulling guards and running backs lining up to punish them. I feel bad for them already.

Corner... solid, but with no hope for the future and an inevitable downgrading for next season. Champ isn't getting any younger, and Goodman won't get any better.

Safety.... I want to be optimistic about this position, as we have young, dynamic talent. Then I remember how hard it is in this day and age to find a good safety (or 2). Jury is out on this position.

Special teams... Could surprise us this season. But with the current state of our offense and defense, it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Coaching/front office.... They have a lot to prove to me. Not even Fox so much.

Well my take may be a little to rosey but by no means do I think it means this team is going to the Super Bowl this year.

Defensive tackle has to be addressed but I don't think the situation is hopeless.

Just remember I always respect your opinions. :beer:

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
For those of you worried about the defensive tackle situation, read this and you might feel a little better, also explains the possible role of Ayers as a "defensive tackle." (Edit: not specifically to the Broncos, just the type of defense Fox likes to run...)

http://www.football-defense.com/4-3-under-front/

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
More on the idea of utilizing an under front, and what I think Fox is envisioning for Ayers.

With the strong side (TE side in this diagram) guard essentially uncovered, the defensive line has shifted away, or undershifted, from the strength of the offensive line. The strong side defensive tackle plays over the shoulder of the center and the weak side end plays a loose 5-technique outside the tackle, leaving the weak side defensive tackle (our 3-technique/undertackle) isolated against a guard. In many ways, on passing downs, you’ve schemed yourself a third defensive end.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-1/

broncohead
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
More on the idea of utilizing an under front, and what I think Fox is envisioning for Ayers.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/06/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-1/

Ok so the "3rd DE" would be Miller lined up outside Ayers?

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't think so, no.

If you're looking at the "under" front you would see:

Dumervil (weak side), Ayers, Vickerson, Jason Hunter, Miller (standing up)

It's essentially a 5-2 with a stand-up SLB playing closer to the line than the MLB and the WLB (Irving or Mays/Williams).

Now, either Vickerson or Hunter will probably be replaced in free agency, but that is what I think you'll see, especially on passing downs, out of the Broncos defense.

The idea is that Ayers can dominate the LG and get to the passer, with Miller coming from the outside and the other three playing contain, or Dumervil dropping into coverage. Alternately, you have the "over," where Ayers flips to the strong side, takes on the RG, Hunter contains, and Dumervil attacks from the left side and Miller drops into coverage.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Watch the end of the draft press conference. Fox himself says he envisions Ayers sliding over to defensive tackle and having Miller move down to defensive end certain packages.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't think so, no.

If you're looking at the "under" front you would see:

Dumervil (weak side), Ayers, Vickerson, Jason Hunter, Miller (standing up)

It's essentially a 5-2 with a stand-up SLB playing closer to the line than the MLB and the WLB (Irving or Mays/Williams).

Now, either Vickerson or Hunter will probably be replaced in free agency, but that is what I think you'll see, especially on passing downs, out of the Broncos defense.

The idea is that Ayers can dominate the LG and get to the passer, with Miller coming from the outside and the other three playing contain, or Dumervil dropping into coverage. Alternately, you have the "over," where Ayers flips to the strong side, takes on the RG, Hunter contains, and Dumervil attacks from the left side and Miller drops into coverage.

I wouldn't doubt this is one of fronts. But I think they will have a fronts were one of the starting tackles in taken out Ayers slides over to the vacated spot and Miller moves down into Ayers spot. He will probably have his hand in the dirt some of time and other times he'll be a two point stance giving the front a 3-4 look.

Canmore
06-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Watch the end of the draft press conference. Fox himself says he envisions Ayers sliding over to defensive tackle and having Miller move down to defensive end certain packages.

I would be interested in seeing those packages. Ayers seems awful small to line up at Defensive Tackle. I certainlly could see teams trying to convert running the football.

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't doubt this is one of fronts. But I think they will have a fronts were one of the starting tackles in taken out Ayers slides over to the vacated spot and Miller moves down into Ayers spot. He will probably have his hand in the dirt some of time and other times he'll be a two point stance giving the front a 3-4 look.

Giants have done it with Tuck. So maybe Miller slides over, but it's still, essentially, the same line.

Dumervil, Ayers, NT, Miller.

I see it more like Dumervil, Ayers, FA, FA, Miller (SLB, standing up)

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I would be interested in seeing those packages. Ayers seems awful small to line up at Defensive Tackle. I certainlly could see teams trying to convert running the football.

Down and distant is going have a lot do with seeing that kind of front.

Dreadnought
06-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Giants have done it with Tuck. So maybe Miller slides over, but it's still, essentially, the same line.

Dumervil, Ayers, NT, Miller.

I see it more like Dumervil, Ayers, FA, FA, Miller (SLB, standing up)

I like the concept a lot - if and only if we can force opponents into 3rd and 5 or more. There's the rub...With no proper DT's and a cipher at MLB we look to be soft versus the run again.

MOtorboat
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I like the concept a lot - if and only if we can force opponents into 3rd and 5 or more. There's the rub...With no proper DT's and a cipher at MLB we look to be soft versus the run again.

The other side of that concept is Fox thinking Vickerson can play the 4-3 under 3-gap tech and disrupting the run game, or believing he's found someone in FA that can do that. Then you put Vickerson at the B-gap on third and long in a 2-gap, contain, and shift Ayers from the 5-gap tech at SDE to the 3-gap tech at DT...

I could be completely off on the Vickerson stuff and Fox wants to sign someone to do that job in FA.

TXBRONC
06-14-2011, 10:09 PM
The other side of that concept is Fox thinking Vickerson can play the 4-3 under 3-gap tech and disrupting the run game, or believing he's found someone in FA that can do that. Then you put Vickerson at the B-gap on third and long in a 2-gap, contain, and shift Ayers from the 5-gap tech at SDE to the 3-gap tech at DT...

I could be completely off on the Vickerson stuff and Fox wants to sign someone to do that job in FA.

Right now that's the way it looks.

Canmore
06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
All I see right now is a huge gaping hole in the middle of our defense. Hopefully, we have our middle linbacker, but we need defensive tackles in the worst way... free agency?

atwater27
06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
All I see right now is a huge gaping hole in the middle of our defense. Hopefully, we have our middle linbacker, but we need defensive tackles in the worst way... free agency?

Exactly. Smoke and mirrors can only get you so far; and once it's figured out, it's useless. We need 600 pounds of skilled man meat on our roster, STAT!

Shananahan
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM

This is what I think we're forced to expect right now, due to the lack of free agency. Everything I've read has Vickerson in that spot, and there were the articles about him slimming down in order to do so.

It's impossible to know for sure until it all kicks in, though. Good posts.

NightTerror218
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM
This is what I think we're forced to expect right now, due to the lack of free agency. Everything I've read has Vickerson in that spot, and there were the articles about him slimming down in order to do so.

It's impossible to know for sure until it all kicks in, though. Good posts.

From what I have read, Vickerson is set to be one of our DT, I am hoping he is going to be a stud there, seemed like they really liked him and were quick to an extension for him.

underrated29
06-15-2011, 12:01 PM
QB- I think we are set with TT..Leading up to his draft, I had never heard of him. I watched him did my scouting and said he was going to change the way the qb position is played. He will be real good. Then we drafted him couple months later.----I know TT has not proven dyck, but I also know he wont stop until he does. I think we are better than average at QB.

RB-I have faith in Knowshon, white is good for power, still no speed.-We need speed. We will not be getting Deangelo. Id say we are average to slightly below average here.

FB-Sucks. Below average. Actually, pitiful.

OL- Back to the ZBS and they will thrive, and I am telling you know. WE are going to LOVE our new RT! So will Knowshon. Big, ugly and mean. Just like a OL player should be.

TE-dont care, big dick is ok, the other guys are yea. And how much did fox use a TE at Car? Donte Rosario---I think one of our scrubs can match him. For our scheme we are average- compared to NFL- below average

DE- I like what we have. Still want another, but I say average.. (doom is adjusting that bell curve though)

DT- you already know the answer here. We need a couple of them. Worst in the league

LB- I am intruged. If Von and that new guy pan out we could be Real set. Like above average. If Nate Irving does not pan out- we are screwed with Mays at MLB...Right now. just average.

CB- I like the group personally. Goody is good when healthy, champ does his thing, cox was not bad for a rook, cash and syd are good depth.

S- I have seen a lot of tape on moore, but somehow i am just not quite sold.- Carter looks good though, and darcel glass mcbath is not shabby when he is on the field. hill and brian are good. Id say we are above average here.

Put that all together and we are more or less average at every position. Once we upgrade the DT spot our rankings will boost. The positions we are below average at aside from DT- are chump spots like FB, TE etc.

IMO we are not as far off as many seem to think. Most of the pieces are in place, lets just get them some experience and finish off the roster next year.

TXBRONC
06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Exactly. Smoke and mirrors can only get you so far; and once it's figured out, it's useless. We need 600 pounds of skilled man meat on our roster, STAT!

You should never use term "man meat" with Beef around.

Ravage!!!
06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
QB- I think we are set with TT..Leading up to his draft, I had never heard of him. I watched him did my scouting and said he was going to change the way the qb position is played. He will be real good. Then we drafted him couple months later.----I know TT has not proven dyck, but I also know he wont stop until he does. I think we are better than average at QB.

Wait wait... hold on. I don't even watch NCAA football (well, very little anyway, mainly just the big games)... and I heard of Tim Tebow. How can you say you never heard of him leading up to the draft? :confused:

underrated29
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Wait wait... hold on. I don't even watch NCAA football (well, very little anyway, mainly just the big games)... and I heard of Tim Tebow. How can you say you never heard of him leading up to the draft? :confused:

I dont watch college ball at all. Not even the bowl games. So every year around draft time I have to learn who all the new recruits are. I might know a couple from past drafts who chose to stay another year or if someone is local and I hear about them in the news, but really nothing.

You can find the posts about it somewhere here. I bet they are pretty funny. I remember dogfish, coach and a couple others were thinking the same thing you did. How has he not heard of him. But I had not. It was only until his name was brought up and I was doing my research on the upcomming draftees that I found out about him.

MOtorboat
06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I dont watch college ball at all. Not even the bowl games. So every year around draft time I have to learn who all the new recruits are. I might know a couple from past drafts who chose to stay another year or if someone is local and I hear about them in the news, but really nothing.

You can find the posts about it somewhere here. I bet they are pretty funny. I remember dogfish, coach and a couple others were thinking the same thing you did. How has he not heard of him. But I had not. It was only until his name was brought up and I was doing my research on the upcomming draftees that I found out about him.

That's amazing...do you not watch SportsCenter at all, then? That speech after the Ole Miss game even made the news networks...

LordTrychon
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Shocks me to this day every time I hear it.

Ravage!!!
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Yeah.. thats a wow. I know I'm like you in the sense that I have to do a lot of research around draft time to catch up on all the possible draftees, but even with as little NCAA football I watch, I heard of Tim. I mean, the guy's face is everywhere.

Oh well. Then I have to say I'm a bit shocked that since you never really watched him play, and probably have mainly seen just his highlight reel, that you feel he's going to change the QB position. I'll be honest, I don't think he's going to change the position because I don't think he's doing anything that we haven't seen before. But, hey, thats why we are here! :beer:

slim
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not buying it.

underrated29
06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
lol. ya,

I must live a sheltered life because I honestly had never ever heard of him. You guys know me, i have no reason to lie. Like I said, somewhere on here there are posts about it.

I feel ya Rav. But one thing is, I dont just watch highlights. I watch highlights to see if the player is worth my time. If I like enough of what I see from the highlights then I go back and watch the game footage and really get a look see. If I dont I skip over and move to the next person.

underrated29
06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
ok off to yet another year of knowing nothing about football or the broncos.

here we go....

First mini mock before the combine and FA.
-----------------------------------------------

Marshall traded to CAR for Peppers and a 2nd

1- dez bryant WR
2-(car) Brandon Spikes LB
2- kyle wilson CB
3-Cory Wooten-DE
4- Vince Oghobaase-NT
John Skelton-

thats the mini mock... Now for predictions....

Doom- is the one tendered for 1st and 3rd and is let go, or traded for that amount. I do not think Doom will be here next year.

Tim tebow- I do not watch college and only heard the name, but I have never seen such in depth and harsh criticism over one player ever. It seems everyone nit picks his faults to the extreme but also provides paragraphs of his strengths. Most analysis is a few blurbs or a small paragraph.

So i watched his films.

HE is going to be a great QB in the NFL. I bet Miami is crapping their pants they took pat white, this guy will be a ton times better. I see a team like jax,miami, minnesota, even washington looking at him....

Washington will take CJ Spiller at RB with its first pick- assuming he makes it that far.

Aha! Here is one post. Not the one I was looking for, but roughly the same thing. This came from my prediction thread vol. 2

Told ya, I had no clue who he was.

Ravage!!!
06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
:tsk: :tsk:

Well, we'll see. I hope you are right but I have my VERY SERIOUS doubts that he'll ever be a top tier QB. (and I can't believe you would think Shanahan would go for Tebow :confused: )

** but then, you thought we would get both Peppers AND a 2nd for Marshall

underrated29
06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
:tsk: :tsk:

Well, we'll see. I hope you are right but I have my VERY SERIOUS doubts that he'll ever be a top tier QB. (and I can't believe you would think Shanahan would go for Tebow :confused: )

** but then, you thought we would get both Peppers AND a 2nd for Marshall

:bigMFgrin:

Yeah my prediction thread does not have the best track record. But hey, I do good predicting who we draft. So far I am 2 for 3...I thought we would take dez b not DT.

Lonestar
06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I beleuve a bunch of average to above average guys can consistently win in the NFL if they play as a team sprinkle in a couple if studs and things change to win playoff slots.

But you can't have any injuries unless your Incredibly deep in talent.

I think we are.A bout two good to great drafts away from the latter.

topscribe
06-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I beleuve a bunch of average to above average guys can consistently win in the NFL if they play as a team sprinkle in a couple if studs and things change to win playoff slots.

But you can't have any injuries unless your Incredibly deep in talent.

I think we are.A bout two good to great drafts away from the latter.

Well, that's just it. The loss of Dumervil alone may have cost the Broncos three
or four games. And then they had injuries to Clady, Harris, and White, and
Dawkins played hurt - when he played. Of course, Goodman was out, and
Knowshon was up and down all year.

The Pats and Colts have shown they can survive such fiascos. But many on
their second teams have been better than many on the Broncos' first teams . . .

-----

MOtorboat
06-16-2011, 06:07 PM
The Pats and Colts have shown they can survive such fiascos. But many on
their second teams have been better than many on the Broncos' first teams . . .

-----

I wonder why that is?

BroncoWave
06-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Why not? Are two solid seasons in Denver not enough for you? :confused:

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, solid is a good word to use for Gaffney. He's not an all-star or anything, but he's decent enough and you know what you're getting with him.

NightTerror218
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah, solid is a good word to use for Gaffney. He's not an all-star or anything, but he's decent enough and you know what you're getting with him.

If Decker, Willis or Thomas (if he is healthy to have a decent season) have break out season I could see Gaffeny in his last year as a bronco.

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Well yeah, he's obviously not a long-term fixture. I think he's good enough to consider part of the corps, though. It wasn't too long ago that he had 14 catches in a game, or something like that. He's a C+/B- player with experience.

And call me a pessimist but I'd bet everything I own that Willis will never have a 'breakout' season for Denver. I'll be surprised if he ever becomes more than preseason player.

Bullgator
06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
IMHO The Broncos will go at least 9-7 and win at least 1 playoff game this year.

I can tell you this... they are going to be MUCH better than expected.

Its going to be a fun year.

MOtorboat
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
IMHO The Broncos will go at least 9-7 and win at least 1 playoff game this year.

9-7 won't win the division and it will almost assuredly not earn a wild cart spot.

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 08:58 PM

And what's your prediction if Orton starts the entire year?

Canmore
06-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Optimistic, aren't we. :defense:

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think nine wins is really out of the question, but I think that's probably the ceiling unless every player and staff member exceeds our wildest expectations. Denver is not as bad as their record last year, but they're not a playoff team right now.

Canmore
06-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't think nine wins is really out of the question, but I think that's probably the ceiling unless every player and staff member exceeds our wildest expectations. Denver is not as bad as their record last year, but they're not a playoff team right now.

Wow! I'm assuming we are going to start a second year player at quarterback and we have no interior defense. I don't see nine wins. I'd love to be wrong.

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't see nine wins. I'd love to be wrong.
I don't really see it either, but if the team can stay healthy I don't think it's impossible. Denver managed to play some really good football at times last season with a dented up, semi-rookie OL while missing their starting CB and their best pass rusher. The Jets game is probably the best example. I think if pieces continue to come together, some of the young players on the OL and in the secondary improve/hold up and the coaching is solid then nine wins could happen.

Canmore
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't really see it either, but if the team can stay healthy I don't think it's impossible. Denver managed to play some really good football at times last season with a dented up, semi-rookie OL while missing their starting CB and their best pass rusher. The Jets game is probably the best example. I think if pieces continue to come together, some of the young players on the OL and in the secondary improve/hold up and the coaching is solid then nine wins could happen.

I guess I'm just pessimistic after the recent debacles but I'm guessing 6-10, maybe 5-11. I'd be thrilled to be in the playoff hunt at 9-7. If we fill the defensive tackle hole and Mays or Irving can man the middle adequately the defense could be middle of the road. I'm not of the belief that Tebow is going to be the messiah in his second season. I am expecting him to be exciting though.

Bullgator
06-16-2011, 09:51 PM
9-7 won't win the division and it will almost assuredly not earn a wild cart spot.

Past is the past Jr. There is a good chance 9-7 gets in... lot more parody in the AFC west.

And don't forget the chiefs lost the very reason they went worst to first last year. Charlie Wiess is now a Gator baby.

Shananahan
06-16-2011, 10:01 PM
There is a good chance 9-7 gets in... lot more parody in the AFC west.
Did you know that wild card spots are determined by records for the entire conference?

MOtorboat
06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Past is the past Jr. There is a good chance 9-7 gets in... lot more parody in the AFC west.

And don't forget the chiefs lost the very reason they went worst to first last year. Charlie Wiess is now a Gator baby.

Junior?

Really? Someone who doesn't have a clue about the league before last year?

Canmore
06-16-2011, 10:13 PM

It takes 10 wins to make the playoffs most years. 9-7 will get you in the hunt, but rarely will make you a bride.

TXBRONC
06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I guess I'm just pessimistic after the recent debacles but I'm guessing 6-10, maybe 5-11. I'd be thrilled to be in the playoff hunt at 9-7. If we fill the defensive tackle hole and Mays or Irving can man the middle adequately the defense could be middle of the road. I'm not of the belief that Tebow is going to be the messiah in his second season. I am expecting him to be exciting though.

EFX some how lands a solid defensive tackle and Denver can go into the bye week at 3-2 there is potentially 6 winnable games down the stretch. I'm counting on it but it's possible. 9-7 would have us in the conversation for the playoffs but I don't it will be enough even in our division. Right now I think Denver end up right 8-8.

Canmore
06-16-2011, 10:26 PM
EFX some how lands a solid defensive tackle and Denver can go into the bye week at 3-2 there is potentially 6 winnable games down the stretch. I'm counting on it but it's possible. 9-7 would have us in the conversation for the playoffs but I don't it will be enough even in our division. Right now I think Denver end up right 8-8.

I'm of the belief we are not going to overspend in free agency and I hope we don't. We will get defensive tackle help but it is going to be marginal. I don't see our interior defense being greatly improved over last year. In our division that is a recipe for disaster. I'm willing to take the gowing pains of waiting for another draft and we probably need to see what Tebow can do. To me, that adds up to a less than stellar record. I want to see improvement and hard nosed play. If that translates into wins, gravy.

BroncoJoe
06-16-2011, 10:47 PM
This team was not as bad as our record last year. Coaching sucked. Period.

I'll be shocked if we're not at least 8-8.

Canmore
06-17-2011, 04:21 AM
This team was not as bad as our record last year. Coaching sucked. Period.

I'll be shocked if we're not at least 8-8.

Too many variables with the new coaching staff and players. I'm expecting 6-10, maybe 5-11. Wait for 2012.

Lonestar
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I suspect he has yet to see the schedule. Nine wins AYE.

Considering all the newness on this team no OTAs, a shortened preseason/TC and probably a shortened season. 9'wins are not going to happen.

Let alone a playoff win. Does anyone see this team beating the best team in the league at their house. With mostly under 5 year players.

Not happening.

MOtorboat
06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
I suspect he has yet to see the schedule. Nine wins AYE.

Considering all the newness on this team no OTAs, a shortened preseason/TC and probably a shortened season. 9'wins are not going to happen.

Let alone a playoff win. Does anyone see this team beating the best team in the league at their house. With mostly under 5 year players.

Not happening.

Every team is faced with no OTAs, shortened preseason/TC and probably a shortened season. This isn't some challenge only the Broncos will face.

:tsk:

Lonestar
06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Every team is faced with no OTAs, shortened preseason/TC and probably a shortened season. This isn't some challenge only the Broncos will face.

Yes but most of them are established with exprienced players in place for more than 15 minutes, with coaches that have been able to talk to their players for more than 48 hours in the past 6 months.

And then there is the schedule and beating one of the top teams in the league at their house.

Let me add that the vast majority of this team has less than 3 years as starters.

TXBRONC
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM

For a team that has new head coach we probably have less upheaval than most teams in a similar situation. The offensive staff has stayed intact for the most part that huge plus. The scheme is going change but the fact that we have the same coaching staff on offense and not turnover in player personnel can also be a big plus.

Defense is the unit that has biggest turnover both in personnel and coaching staff.

It's possible for Denver to make the playoffs but I right now I think what I'll be for a is more competitive team that could conservatively win 3 to 4 more ball games than last year.

BroncoJoe
06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes but most of them are established with exprienced players in place for more than 15 minutes, with coaches that have been able to talk to their players for more than 48 hours in the past 6 months.

And then there is the schedule and beating one of the top teams in the league at their house.

Let me add that the vast majority of this team has less than 3 years as starters.

The only "new" players we have are the rookies.

That's one game. There's 16 all together if I remember correctly...

Point taken. But we're young and out to prove something also.

Lonestar
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
The only "new" players we have are the rookies.

That's one game. There's 16 all together if I remember correctly...

Point taken. But we're young and out to prove something also.

Yep but do IIRC last yer we had almost forty players under 6 years in the league and the only reason we were not the youngest team was the old farts in the secondary.

Youth means for the most part fubars at critical times. Just who on this team has won a Divison game let alone playoff game.

BroncoJoe
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Yep but do IIRC last yer we had almost forty players under 6 years in the league and the only reason we were not the youngest team was the old farts in the secondary.

Youth means for the most part fubars at critical times. Just who on this team has won a Divison game let alone playoff game.

Let's just say I tend to be an optimistic person as opposed to pessimistic. I really don't give a rats ass about the 2nd sentence of the last paragraph.

MOtorboat
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Young teams can't win big games.

- Signed, Green Bay Packers

NightTerror218
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Young teams can't win big games.

- Signed, Green Bay Packers

But with a few Vets they can....get the right leaders in there and no prob

NightTerror218
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
So if we are talking fantasy positions......and Tebow was starting I would have to put him as my starting QB, quote from NFL website:

"Tim Tebow, QB, Broncos: Tebow was the top-scoring player in fantasy football over the final three weeks of last season (no, that's not a misprint), posting a combined 651 passing yards, 199 rushing yards and a combined seven touchdowns. His skills as a runner make up for what he lacks as a passer, at least in fantasy circles, so Tebow's competition with Kyle Orton is one to watch. If he can secure the top spot on the Broncos' depth chart, he could be worth as high as a middle-round selection in drafts."

Bullgator
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
It takes 10 wins to make the playoffs most years. 9-7 will get you in the hunt, but rarely will make you a bride.

said 7-9 seattle

Shananahan
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Bullgator, you never answered my question about the team's success this season under Kyle Orton.

Bullgator
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey Bullgator, you never answered my question about the team's success this season under Kyle Orton.

If KO starts 6-10 best case scenario.

underrated29
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Seattle is the first time in NFL history that a losing team has made the playoffs.

I do not suspect we will ever be seeing that again. or the Super mario brothers run by marshawn lynch against the saints. Seattle made history twice that is very unlikely to ever again occur.

Bullgator
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Seattle is the first time in NFL history that a losing team has made the playoffs.

I do not suspect we will ever be seeing that again. or the Super mario brothers run by marshawn lynch against the saints. Seattle made history twice that is very unlikely to ever again occur.

The point is 9-7 is enough to win this division.

Shananahan
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
So in your opinion Tebow is, at minimum, three wins all by himself.

MOtorboat
06-17-2011, 04:34 PM

http://www.ethiopiahewitt.com/projects/booth/images/redBooth.jpg

Shananahan
06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
And here's the one for Bullgator in the unlikely event that Orton does start the entire season:

http://files.myopera.com/JanetB/albums/4447122/Suicide%20Booth.gif

underrated29
06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
The point is 9-7 is enough to win this division.

i dont think so bro. I do not think any team in the afcwest has finished with less than 10 wins once....Perhaps the chargers did 2 years ago, but I am thinking not.

I think 10 wins is what our division needs to get title.

topscribe
06-17-2011, 04:54 PM
i dont think so bro. I do not think any team in the afcwest has finished with less than 10 wins once....Perhaps the chargers did 2 years ago, but I am thinking not.

I think 10 wins is what our division needs to get title.

Could be, but you have to consider the new parity in the Division. KC comes
back strong, and I believe Denver is better than people may think. I don't
believe anybody in the Division will sweep by any means. 9-7 just may do it . . .

-----

Bullgator
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM

At least 3... leaning towards 4

Insert KO into 3rd and 6 from goal in the Houston game... does he win that game?

You know in your heart of hearts KO doesn't win that game.

underrated29
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Has the Afcw had a division winner with less than 10 wins recently before?

I do not think so, but I also do not know.

Lets not forget:

The faid swept the division- unlikely to occur again
SD- top 10 in offense and defense- lost several games because of ST- Unlikely to occur again
Broncos- had the worst season ever in their history- unlikely to occur again.

THings for and against the 9-7 argument. Still I just do not see it. I think 10 is minimum, but hey- I can go for 9. One less win we must get.;)

Bullgator
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Lets not forget:

SD- top 10 in offense and defense- lost several games because of ST- Unlikely to occur again

THings for and against the 9-7 argument. Still I just do not see it. I think 10 is minimum, but hey- I can go for 9. One less win we must get.;)

9 or 10 w/e it is this season is going to be fun.

NightTerror218
06-17-2011, 05:06 PM
9 or 10 w/e it is this season is going to be fun.

Might only need 7 or 8 depending how many games are lost due to lock out. I hope none, but always in back on mind if season starts late.

MOtorboat
06-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Lets not forget:

Chargers, 8-8, in Shanahan's last year.

BroncoJoe
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Seattle was 9-7 in '99 & '88.

MOtorboat
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Since going to 4-team divisions:

2010, Kansas City Chiefs, 10-6
2009, San Diego Chargers, 13-3
2008, San Diego Chargers, 8-8
2007, San Diego Chargers, 11-5
2006, San Diego Chargers, 14-2
2005, Denver Broncos, 13-3
2004, San Diego Chargers, 12-4
2003, Kansas City Chiefs, 13-3
2002, Oakland Raiders, 11-5

BroncoJoe
06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
A 9-7 record getting a wildcard birth (AFCW) has occurred 5 times since 1990.

BroncoJoe
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Interesting the AFCW division winner has only won the SB three times. Raiders (2) and the Broncos (1).

topscribe
06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Interesting the AFCW division winner has only won the SB three times. Raiders (2) and the Broncos (1).

There goes my next trivia question . . .

-----

WARHORSE
06-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Far.:coffee:

Lonestar
06-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Let's just say I tend to be an optimistic person as opposed to pessimistic. I really don't give a rats ass about the 2nd sentence of the last paragraph.

Young teams tend to choke when the rubber hits the road..

Hell our team has choked in the playoffs excepting two years out of their exsistence.

I'm more of a realist, love to win it all every year. but know that it is not going to happen..

Shananahan
06-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Hell our team has choked in the playoffs excepting two years out of their exsistence.
So losing in the Super Bowl counts as choking in the playoffs now?

FanInAZ
06-18-2011, 02:30 AM

So losing in the Super Bowl counts as choking in the playoffs now?

I'm with Shananahan on this one, can you really say that the only reason that one team looses is because they choked? It's not possible that two teams could battle it out all day long in a superb display of talent and that one team just happened to make the last big play before time expired. It's also not possible that one team, by studying film, noticed a chink in the other team’s armor and drew up the perfect game plan to exploit it? And what about injuries, which are part of the game, but would say that these injuries were the result of choking?

In 1984, we finished 13-3 which gave us the 2nd seed & a home matchup against the Stealer. Elway injures his groin in the 4th quarter, but insist on playing through the pain. With the score tied and enough time on the clock for a game winning drive, Elway misfires on a pass that is intercepted and run in for what would prove to be the game winning TD. You would purpose that that pick 6 was the result of Elway not being able to handle the pressure of the moment, rather than his groin injury inhibiting him from being able to throw an accurate pass in that situation? If so, then strongly disagree with you and would say that that is just one example that came to the top of my head while thinking about this response. I’m sure others can come up with additional examples.

MOtorboat
06-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Young teams tend to choke when the rubber hits the road..

I'm more of a realist, love to win it all every year. but know that it is not going to happen..

You're certainly not a realist...

You live in the most amazing orange and blue bubble. The sunsets must really be brilliant though.

In your little world of "choking in the playoffs," there are really only four teams that haven't choked as much as Denver...so, if we're the fifth best "choking" team ever, then that would make us a Top 5 Franchise Historically, wouldn't it?

Seriously, your takes when it comes to playoff wins and losses really suck.

TXBRONC
06-18-2011, 08:49 AM
You're certainly not a realist...

You live in the most amazing orange and blue bubble. The sunsets must really be brilliant though.

In your little world of "choking in the playoffs," there are really only four teams that haven't choked as much as Denver...so, if we're the fifth best "choking" team ever, then that would make us a Top 5 Franchise Historically, wouldn't it?

Seriously, your takes when it comes to playoff wins and losses really suck.

The Broncos playoff record is 17-15 as comparison the Bengals are 5-9 and the Broncos are the choke artists except for two years? :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
06-18-2011, 08:54 AM
The Broncos playoff record is 17-15 as comparison the Bengals are 5-9 and the Broncos are the choke artists except for two years? :rolleyes:

Only 11 teams have won two or more Super Bowls...

Since 1980, Denver has like the third best winning percentage...

It's not a good take.

NightTerror218
06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
well Mario Haggen might be part of the D-Line Depth now too

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/haggan-to-the-line/

NightTerror218
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM
I like reading the interview with LB coach richard smith
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Smith-on-Linebacker-Corps/3aa9adeb-5509-49f8-9062-f93103f6f873

He mentioned Irving, and Mays competing for Mike, Miller set at Sam and DJ Williams at Will. With Woodyard backing him up at Will and Mohamed back up Mike and Sam. I wonder if this is going to be our LB and most others such as Hunter being cut loose.

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 03:09 PM
I like reading the interview with LB coach richard smith
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Smith-on-Linebacker-Corps/3aa9adeb-5509-49f8-9062-f93103f6f873

He mentioned Irving, and Mays competing for Mike, Miller set at Sam and DJ Williams at Will. With Woodyard backing him up at Will and Mohamed back up Mike and Sam. I wonder if this is going to be our LB and most others such as Hunter being cut loose.

An article that was brought to our attention recently said that Fox was thinking of moving Hunter to defensive end.

MOtorboat
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
An article that was brought to our attention recently said that Fox was thinking of moving Hunter to defensive end.

We need to look into hiring his ninja girlfriend, who apparently can accidentally throw knives. Remember the ninja dude in Necessary Roughness. Yeah...that's what I'm talking about.

topscribe
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Which makes sense. I think Hunter would be a good rotational player at DE,
where it's pretty thin after Dumervil and Ayers. I personally don't see Hunter
going anywhere . . .

-----

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
We need to look into hiring his ninja girlfriend, who apparently can accidentally throw knives. Remember the ninja dude in Necessary Roughness. Yeah...that's what I'm talking about.

She would give new meaning to the term carving up your opponent.

NightTerror218
06-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Really where was the article located? Was it in the stabbing article?

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Really where was the article located? Was it in the stabbing article?

No it was before Hunter's girl friend tried to cut him up like a Christmas turkey I just don't remember where. Even though I don't remember what article it was in the current roster has him listed at defensive end.

NightTerror218
06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
No it was before Hunter's girl friend tried to cut him up like a Christmas turkey I just don't remember where. Even though I don't remember what article it was in the current roster has him listed at defensive end.

I think with Ayers, Doomer, Haggen, Beal, Hunter and Veikune are what we got for DE. Think we still need Hunter? He is a 6th year that has not impressed. Beal is the 7th round rookie and Veikune is 2nd yr. I know DT has Vickerson, Unrein, McBean Garland, and Thomas. I am not sure if very many other people are going to change positions or not.

underrated29
06-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I liked hunter, him and vick were the two last year that caught my eye.

TXBRONC
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I think with Ayers, Doomer, Haggen, Beal, Hunter and Veikune are what we got for DE. Think we still need Hunter? He is a 6th year that has not impressed. Beal is the 7th round rookie and Veikune is 2nd yr. I know DT has Vickerson, Unrein, McBean Garland, and Thomas. I am not sure if very many other people are going to change positions or not.

I thought Hunter played well, not great by any means but he was solid.

IIRC Thomas is free agent once normal operations resume. Under the old CBA I think he would be a RFA but under the new CBA if everything hold true to form he'll be a UFA.

NightTerror218
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought Hunter played well, not great by any means but he was solid.

IIRC Thomas is free agent once normal operations resume. Under the old CBA I think he would be a RFA but under the new CBA if everything hold true to form he'll be a UFA.

I could see Fox showing up at his door saying "We want you on the team" as soon as FA opens up

NightTerror218
06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Anyone see any tape or know much about Jermey Beal, who we drafter in the 7th?

College career

After being redshirted as a freshman in 2006, Beal was moved to defensive end and recorded 21 tackles and had a sack as a redshirt freshman in 2007. Beal became a starter as a sophomore in 2008 and earned first team All-Big 12 by the Associated Press after recording a team high 8.5 sacks with 54 tackles. As a junior in 2009 Beal recorded 61 tackles, 11 sacks, and an interception.

TXBRONC
06-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Anyone see any tape or know much about Jermey Beal, who we drafter in the 7th?

College career

After being redshirted as a freshman in 2006, Beal was moved to defensive end and recorded 21 tackles and had a sack as a redshirt freshman in 2007. Beal became a starter as a sophomore in 2008 and earned first team All-Big 12 by the Associated Press after recording a team high 8.5 sacks with 54 tackles. As a junior in 2009 Beal recorded 61 tackles, 11 sacks, and an interception.

RC is a huge OU so I would guess he could give you his take on Beal.

NightTerror218
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
RC is a huge OU so I would guess he could give you his take on Beal.

he is always lurking, so where is he to chime in?

TXBRONC
06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
he is always lurking, so where is he to chime in?

:whoknows: