PDA

View Full Version : Defense

BroncoJoe
11-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Sorry, but our Defense played well today, IMO.

Our offense sucks. Big time.

Cutler is not playing well, and I don't know what's going on.

LRtagger
11-02-2008, 07:22 PM
i still think our defensive playcalling is terrible

the cushions we give on 3rd and short are rediculous..then we blitz 7 on 3rd and 15 and they gain 15 on a screen.

They converted two 3rd and longer than 10 on that last TD drive. They still sucked when it mattered most.

Not saying they cost us this game, because they didnt....but they still are not off the hook giving up 21 first downs and 341 yards to the Dolphins.

I will say that our Run D was much better than I was expecting.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I agree.

Our defense broke down in the second half, but consider this....

How many NFL teams expect their defense to hold up for the entire game for an opportunity to win?

To take that one step further, with the shambles our defense has been in this season, they played great all game with the exception of that last drive. You cannot expect our defense to hold up all game for Denver to win. They need some help from their offense.

BroncoJoe
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
i still think our defensive playcalling is terrible

the cushions we give on 3rd and short are rediculous..then we blitz 7 on 3rd and 15 and they gain 15 on a screen.

They converted two 3rd and longer than 10 on that last TD drive. They still sucked when it mattered most.

Not saying they cost us this game, because they didnt....but they still are not off the hook giving up 21 first downs and 341 yards to the Dolphins.

I will say that our Run D was much better than I was expecting.

How many turnovers?

How many rushing yards?

Our Defense played very well today.

The offense SUCKED. In fact, it was offensive.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Our offense gave up more points then our defense did.

spikerman
The defense was definitely better today (but by no means...good). What I can't understand, though, is why is Paymah playing so far off his receivers? Pennington can't typically beat a cornerback deep anyway. If Paymah doesn't realize that he's giving up the same pass every play, then why aren't the coaches forcing him to move up to at least challenge the throw? sheesh.

ChampWJ
All teams have to do is run 8 yard curls to the sideline every play, every game and I bet we don't stop it once.

Not being able to get a stop with 11 minutes on the clock after our offense finally got us close is inexcusable.

LRtagger
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
How many turnovers?

How many rushing yards?

Our Defense played very well today.

The offense SUCKED. In fact, it was offensive.

Like i said, they did not cost us the game, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking we are now a good defense.

We still have a LOT to improve upon.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
FACT: Worst defense statistically in the NFL in countless categories.

Yet they are not the problem? This is ridiculous. If the offense could trust the defense at all, they wouldn't have to force it on every drive.

Skinny
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Cutler is not playing well, and I don't know what's going on.I agree Joe. I thought the Defense played their butt off considering the positions they were put in with the INTs. Props to them. They spent alot of time on the feild. Miami's Offense held the ball for 36:32. The Defense kept us in the game till the end there.

Slick
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM
The 3rd and longs have been a problem all year, but I can't blame this loss on the defense.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
FACT: Worst defense statistically in the NFL in countless categories.

Yet they are not the problem? This is ridiculous. If the offense could trust the defense at all, they wouldn't have to force it on every drive.

FACT: Denver's offense contributed to 13 points today, directly. And they are supposed to trust the defense?

This just in. Offense is supposed to score points, not give them up.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
The Defense kept us in the game till the end there.

Exactly, skinny, until all they had to do was make a stop with 11 minutes on the clock, and folded.

Broncolingus
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the turnovers and inability to score points and rush the ball will cost you games every single time...

...I also think that after your offense scores a TD to make it a 2 point game, you CANNOT let a team drive back down the field - and convert a friggin 3rd and 20 (yes 4th and 1) - and allow a TD that puts the game away...

Offense played horrible - again..

...Defense couldn't man-up and stop the other team when they needed to - again...

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Exactly, skinny, until all they had to do was make a stop with 11 minutes on the clock, and folded.

You're on crack if you expect the defense to hold up their end for an entire 60 minutes. There's what, 3 defenses in the NFL that's capable of that?

Traveler
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
The defense was definitely better today (but by no means...good). What I can't understand, though, is why is Paymah playing so far off his receivers? Pennington can't typically beat a cornerback deep anyway. If Paymah doesn't realize that he's giving up the same pass every play, then why aren't the coaches forcing him to move up to at least challenge the throw? sheesh.

He was coached to play off. No other explanation. But this loss was definitely on Cutler and the offense. Can't rush and any teams becomes predictable.

Still no passion from this team.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
You're on crack if you expect the defense to hold up their end for an entire 60 minutes. There's what, 3 defenses in the NFL that's capable of that?

It is blatantly obvious how to beat our defense. That is inexcusable. The defense did play better than usual until the 4th quarter, but it doesn't change the fact that they are THE worst in the NFL and it has changed the way we approach games from an offensive standpoint.

Broncolingus
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
He was coached to play off. No other explanation. But this loss was definitely on Cutler and the offense. Can't rush and any teams becomes predictable.

...I think THAT is what's wrong with this team more than anything else.

Nomad
11-02-2008, 07:34 PM

I believe it is the coaches call! Slowik seems to like his corners well off the receivers, I have no idea why. Does he not trust the safety or is he scared to get burnt on the run game? No Paymah is no elite CB and he's playing off the receiver as Champ does ( and no I'm not comparing so don't go there). Champ is so much better at reading plays than Paymah is and maybe Slowik should of kept him closer to the line because that seemed to be his strength. Bly is no better at least Paymah can tackle and that's what I'll give him! If Slowik would of tried to adjust and Paymah would of keep sucking then I would put it all on him! I'm no paymah apologist but he did a fairly job being picked on all day.

spikerman
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM

If that's the case then it is another example of the coaching problem with this team.

You're right that there is no passion from the team, there is also none from the coach. Just once, I would like to see Shanahan explode on the sideline.

spikerman
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I believe it is the coaches call! Slowik seems to like his corners well off the receivers, I have no idea why. Does he not trust the safety or is he scared to get burnt on the run game? No Paymah is no elite CB and he's playing off the receiver as Champ does ( and no I'm not comparing so don't go there). Champ is so much better at reading plays than Paymah is and maybe Slowik should of kept him closer to the line because that seemed to be his strength. Bly is no better at least Paymah can tackle and that's what I'll give him! If Slowik would of tried to adjust and Paymah would of keep sucking then I would put it all on him! I'm no paymah apologist but he did a fairly job being picked on all day.

My complaint is with the lack of adjustments not with Paymah's play overall.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
It is blatantly obvious how to beat our defense. That is inexcusable. The defense did play better than usual until the 4th quarter, but it doesn't change the fact that they are THE worst in the NFL and it has changed the way we approach games from an offensive standpoint.

Our offense is average at best.

It is explosive.

It is extremely undisciplined.

It is also extremely one dimensional.

It doesn't control games.

It doesn't protect the ball.

It doesn't help the defense out.

And it doesn't dictate the pace of the game.

The fact that it's explosive, hides so many flaws that the offense has.

1 Legit scoring drive. On 3 plays covering 80 yards. 1 in which was a PI call. The entire game.

You need to do more than that offensively if you're going to compensate for even an above average defense.

Skinny
11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Exactly, skinny, until all they had to do was make a stop with 11 minutes on the clock, and folded. That drive was 15 plays and it took Miami a little over 8 minutes to score. The Defense made them earn every yard they got. I did'nt fault them there for giving up the TD. Miami just did a great job of executing.

Nomad
11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
My complaint is with the lack of adjustments not with Paymah's play overall.

Some here use paymah as the scapegoat and it's not entirely his fault! And considering who he played opposite as the other CB he did play a decent game!

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 07:53 PM
You need to do more than that offensively if you're going to compensate for even an above average defense.

Then imagine the pressure of trying to compensate for the WORST defense.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Some here use paymah as the scapegoat and it's not entirely his fault! And considering who he played opposite as the other CB he did play a decent game!

Paymah really didn't play that bad at all. Our corners have historically given up yards in that fashion. Roc Alexander in the playoff game against the Colts, Darrent Williams was consistently beaten on short routes, Bly never challenges them. So why should Paymah be any different? At least he was physical and got an INT.

Nomad
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Paymah really didn't play that bad at all. Our corners have historically given up yards in that fashion. Roc Alexander in the playoff game against the Colts, Darrent Williams was consistently beaten on short routes, Bly never challenges them. So why should Paymah be any different? At least he was physical and got an INT.

He's , by no means, a great CB! But I rather him on the field than Bly!

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
The defense DID NOT PLAY WELL.

They just played better than what we are used to.

We gave up 19 points to a team that has little offensive talent.
We gave up 300 yards on curls and other short routes mostly to Camarillo.

This defense is not good.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Then imagine the pressure of trying to compensate for the WORST defense.

They don't compensate. They add to the defenses misery, and you know this. Quit truing to act like there ain't any problems with the offense, because there's just as many.

Did you know, in the last 5 games combined, our offense has given the other team almost as many points as they have scored......?

Here's a great stat for you.

Our offense has more TO's, then they do TD's.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:14 PM
This defense is not good.

I can agree with that. The defense is just as bad as the offense.

G_Money
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
The defense played as well as we can expect them to play.

It's not gonna get much better than that for them this year.

We'd all LIKE a better defense, but when they play as well as they are currently capable of playing, it'd sure be good to get a win.

Which is why this loss is on the offense. When one side plays as well as they can and the other side tanks, it's the tanking side's fault.

This one isn't on the D, unless you want to say every loss is the defense's fault because they suck.

~G

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I can agree with that. The defense is just as bad as the offense.

The offense wasnt all that bad actually. It is just that three turnovers take away many points. Cutler cannot throw the ball up for grabs and thats it basically.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
They don't compensate. They add to the defenses misery, and you know this. Quit truing to act like there ain't any problems with the offense, because there's just as many.

Did you know, in the last 5 games combined, our offense has given the other team almost as many points as they have scored......?

Here's a great stat for you.

Our offense has more TO's, then they do TD's.

I realize the offense hasn't done much recently, and has been turning the ball over. I will not let the sorry defense off the hook because of it though. The defense was every bit as responsible for this loss as the offense. Just when the offense looked like it had woken up, the defense could do nothing to keep them in the game and get them the ball back.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
The defense played as well as we can expect them to play.

It's not gonna get much better than that for them this year.

We'd all LIKE a better defense, but when they play as well as they are currently capable of playing, it'd sure be good to get a win.

Which is why this loss is on the offense. When one side plays as well as they can and the other side tanks, it's the tanking side's fault.

This one isn't on the D, unless you want to say every loss is the defense's fault because they suck.

~G

Denver defense. We play much better but when the game is on the line we fold.
Get Slowik the **** outta here immiditately!

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I realize the offense hasn't done much recently, and has been turning the ball over. I will not let the sorry defense off the hook because of it though. The defense was every bit as responsible for this loss as the offense. Just when the offense looked like it had woken up, the defense could do nothing to keep them in the game and get them the ball back.

If the offense wasn't turning the ball over, the score would have been 6-0 at halftime. That's right, our defense would have given up a measley 6 points, and our offense would have scored....0, because they couldn't move the ball.

New England? If our offense didn't turn the ball over, the score halfway through the 3rd quarter would have been 17-0. Our offense would still have 0 points.

Our defense has been anything but spectacular, but they have played well enough to keep Denver in the game. The offense has regressed back to the likes of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Broncolingus
11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
During this 'downhill' stretch...

Turnovers and inability to run the ball are offensive issues causing Denver to lose games...

...inability to get off the field in 3rd down situations (ala a 3rd and 20 that's eventually converted on a 4th and 1) that's related to the ability to pressure a QB and a lack of 'physical' play in the trenches are defensive issues causing Denver to lose games...

The offense has overall played worse than they did early...

The defense may be playing somewhat better than they did early but the same problems exist...

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
If the offense wasn't turning the ball over, the score would have been 6-0 at halftime. That's right, our defense would have given up a measley 6 points, and our offense would have scored....0, because they couldn't move the ball.

New England? If our offense didn't turn the ball over, the score halfway through the 3rd quarter would have been 17-0. Our offense would still have 0 points.

Our defense has been anything but spectacular, but they have played well enough to keep Denver in the game. The offense has regressed back to the likes of the Kansas City Chiefs.

BS.

You are assuming we would go three and out somewhere if we dont turn the ball over.

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
The offense wasnt all that bad actually. It is just that three turnovers take away many points. Cutler cannot throw the ball up for grabs and thats it basically.

:confused:

They were horrendous! Three turnovers. .. and countless three-and-outs.

It's only because of Eddie Royal's huge kick-off return in the first half that we even scored in the first half and were still in the game.

That offense was bad today. Bad, horrible, horrendous, and hideous.

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
BS.

You are assuming we would go three and out somewhere if we dont turn the ball over.

Isn't that basically what we did in the first half? Go three and out or turn the ball over?

Only because Royal got us to the 7-yard line on that kick-off return is the only reason we scored at that point.

This offense is playing at it's worst level since I can remember.

What was it? 7 whole yards rushing today? Not even one 1st down worth of rushing offense? That's ridiculous.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM

It's only because of Eddie Royal's huge kick-off return in the first half that we even scored in the first half and were still in the game.

Not horrendous considering they gave up three turnovers nineteen points. I should have said below average.
I mean, Cutler was the reason we lost. You cannot throw the ball up for grabs like he does.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
BS.

Did you watch the game?

7 drives in the first half. 3 three and outs. 1 5 play drive 28 yards and punt. 2 TO's. We had 2 first downs the entire first half.

Just because you don't go 3 and out, doesn't mean your going to score. Yea, our offense was completely owned by their defense the entire first half.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:33 PM

because if we dont turn the ball over it is a different game. thats my point.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
because if we dont turn the ball over it is a different game. thats my point.

When we weren't turning the ball over, we showed no ability to move the ball. None whatsoever.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Heck, if we didn't turn the ball over, our first 4 drives would have been 3 and outs. Our next 2 drives would have been good for 1 first down, and then a punt.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
When we weren't turning the ball over, we showed no ability to move the ball. None whatsoever.

OK Ill say this once. Shanahan and Bates has the 20 scripted plays.
The object is to get a good lead and to create mismatches.
When that goes fubar, the whole gameplan is thrown off the window.
If we dont turn the ball over on the first and third drive we still have the gameplan.
Thus, we can make changes, but that has to be at halftime, which we did.

silkamilkamonico
11-02-2008, 08:41 PM
OK Ill say this once. Shanahan and Bates has the 20 scripted plays.
The object is to get a good lead and to create mismatches.
When that goes fubar, the whole gameplan is thrown off the window.
If we dont turn the ball over on the first and third drive we still have the gameplan.
Thus, we can make changes, but that has to be at halftime, which we did.

Well then, Jay Cutler clearly did not do his job today.

Also, 10 point deficit in the first quarter clearly6 isn't enough to throw someone off their gameplan.

haroldthebarrel
11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
And that I completely agree with.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Who did?

Mike
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Royal...Clady...that's about it.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM

But it's clearly all Cutler's fault according to some on here (not you Mike). :tsk:

I'll never understand it. We have the worst Defense in the league, receivers couldn't get open, no running game, a plethora of penalties, yet Cutler is the one who lost this game for us. Ignorance on the part of some.

Mike
11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
But it's clearly all Cutler's fault according to some on here (not you Mike). :tsk:

I'll never understand it. We have the worst Defense in the league, receivers couldn't get open, no running game, a plethora of penalties, yet Cutler is the one who lost this game for us. Ignorance on the part of some.

Cutler should rightly be at the top of the list as far as blame goes. You have to be responsible with the ball. He needs to be told that it is a team sport and you can't do everything...stop forcing it...and that a punt isn't a bad thing. Also, stop locking onto your targets.

The defense did as well as could be expected, IMO. I would go as far as saying Cutler and unimpressive game-plan cost Denver the game.

LRtagger
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM

and Hillis

ALL ROOKIES PEOPLE!

Mike
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
and Hillis

ALL ROOKIES PEOPLE!

I was just about to edit my post to add Hillis. :beer:

honz
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I knew people would try to find some way to blam our defense for this loss. :coffee:

16 points off of OFFENSIVE turnovers, I believe. (Maybe 13, but either way, not good.)

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I knew people would try to find some way to blam our defense for this loss. :coffee:

16 points off of OFFENSIVE turnovers, I believe. (Maybe 13, but either way, not good.)

Explain to me how the defense should not be blamed after Denver clawed within 2 with 11 minutes to play and the defense allowed the Dolphins to drive down the entire field and score a TD. They converted 2 long third downs. Hell, even giving them a FG would have kept it a 1 score game. Total incompetence.

They completely folded when it mattered most.

lex
11-02-2008, 09:43 PM

He forced two passes that led to Miami scoring an easy 10 points. We lost by 9. Jays mistakes cant be ignored. And our D actually stepped up more than many of us could have expected in spite of Slowik and his 10 yard cushions. Miami's offense didnt even score a TD until that last drive.

lex
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Explain to me how the defense should not be blamed after Denver clawed within 2 with 11 minutes to play and the defense allowed the Dolphins to drive down the entire field and score a TD. They converted 2 long third downs. Hell, even giving them a FG would have kept it a 1 score game. Total incompetence.

The guys played hard on defense. A lot of guys made good plays. But Slowiks 12 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 created obstacles to winning once again.

ChampWJ
11-02-2008, 09:48 PM
He forced two passes that led to Miami scoring an easy 10 points. We lost by 9. Jays mistakes cant be ignored. And our D actually stepped up more than many of us could have expected in spite of Slowik and his 10 yard cushions. Miami's offense didnt even score a TD until that last drive.

I never said his mistakes should be ignored. All I'm saying is look at all the other contributing factors.

lex
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I never said his mistakes should be ignored. All I'm saying is look at all the other contributing factors.

OK, well with that in mind, if you would have been told the Denver defense would hold the Miami offense to 16 points, would you not take that in a heartbeat? Yeah, without that dunderhead, Slowik, it could have been better but it should have been good enough to win the game had our offense not let us down.

hamrob
11-02-2008, 10:25 PM

They completely folded when it mattered most.True about the defense...but Cutler's 3 it's resulted in 13 points alone. Heck...just take back the pick-six and you've got a different game.

Look...Jay's the guy that keeps saying...we've been losing because we've been turning the ball over....we have to stop turning the ball over. Then his first pass is an INT. 5-6 throws later...he throws a TD the wrong way. He throws a TD to BMarsh that is called back and he has a meltdown. Result? Another INT.

Look everyone Loves Jay...but Jay has to where this L on his back. In fact he needs to take a look at the past 5 games and ask himself...what happened?

Bronco9798
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
All teams have to do is run 8 yard curls to the sideline every play, every game and I bet we don't stop it once.

Not being able to get a stop with 11 minutes on the clock after our offense finally got us close is inexcusable.

Defensively, today was almost a carbon copy of the KC game in regards to the passing game. Bowe ran those same routes all day against us that the Dolphins ran against us today. Those quick sideline routes are being broken down in game films every week. Teams are going to exploit those every week until somebody steps us and plays better coverage.

Bronco9798
11-02-2008, 10:30 PM
The defense played pretty good today but broke down on that last drive after we scored. After the last TD, if we could of went three and out, we could of built off that momentum and probably scored again pretty quick. That was a horrible series by the defense.

smith49
11-02-2008, 11:00 PM

Cutler is not playing well, and I don't know what's going on.

out D was pretty good today. in fact i am of the belief that our D has not been the reason we lost the last three games. well, not entirely that is. they have not been good in past weeks, but with all the to's they have had to defend a short field against they have held up ok. that long drive in the fourth quarter was pretty disapointing after such a good outing. sooo, i agree, but i still think our D pretty much sucks. that may not make sense, but it is what it is i guess. oh, and i have to say that the last few weeks our O has sucked equally as bad as our D. all and all our team pretty much sucks. its hard to say, but its true.

smith49
11-02-2008, 11:04 PM

im not saying the D is not to blame, but with the O as bad as it has been the D is on the field a lot. chances are that the other team is going to score a td at some point. basically this whole team is pretty lousy if you ask me.

weazel
11-02-2008, 11:08 PM
At least I did well in fantasy by picking up Camarillo in my leagues

smith49
11-02-2008, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=LRtagger;439960]i still think our defensive playcalling is terrible

we blitz 7 on 3rd and 15 and they gain 15 on a screen.

soooo true on that one. what a bad decision. they stop them all day in third and long and then they decide to blitz every one. wow, i could not believe what i was seeing. it was so bad i was laughing.

LoyalSoldier
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
soooo true on that one. what a bad decision. they stop them all day in third and long and then they decide to blitz every one. wow, i could not believe what i was seeing. it was so bad i was laughing.

To be honest that call wasn't the worst call at all. It was a guessing game at what each team would do. It was like a game of rock paper scissors. Unfortunate for us we got caught up in a screen.

smith49
11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
To be honest that call wasn't the worst call at all. It was a guessing game at what each team would do. It was like a game of rock paper scissors. Unfortunate for us we got caught up in a screen.

to be honest that was a bad call. there is absolutely no reason to blits seven guys there. maybe send one extra guy for pressure, but seven. sorry, bad call on a third and forever. its a typicall screen or draw set up, and the broncos should have "guessed" on the side of caution. yah, hind site is twenty twenty, i know. still a bad call. i don't care if you look at high school, college, nfl, or even grid kid. on third and forever, you have to know the high possibilty of a screen or a draw play is comming. its just my opinion so i mean no offense, but it was a shit call to blitz like that.

LoyalSoldier
11-03-2008, 12:05 AM
to be honest that was a bad call. there is absolutely no reason to blits seven guys there. maybe send one extra guy for pressure, but seven. sorry, bad call on a third and forever. its a typicall screen or draw set up, and the broncos should have "guessed" on the side of caution. yah, hind site is twenty twenty, i know. still a bad call. i don't care if you look at high school, college, nfl, or even grid kid. on third and forever, you have to know the high possibilty of a screen or a draw play is comming. its just my opinion so i mean no offense, but it was a shit call to blitz like that.

The broncos have been guessing on the side of caution the whole freaking season and it has got them nowhere. Need I remind you it was the side of caution that had us playing 5-10 yards off receivers? And no 3rd and forever doesn't make it "High possibility of a screen" it depends on who is calling the plays. A lot of play callers would have passed and if we rushed 3 players again it would have given the QB all day to throw.

So for once they attacked and got burned. If they called a normal pass play it might have worked, but again this was a rock paper scissors game and we picked the wrong one.

dogfish
11-03-2008, 12:41 AM

decent, but not well enough to stop the montana to rice connection. . .

err. . .

no excuse for three INTs and the worst rushing performance i have ever seen from the broncos, but it really would have been nice if they wouldn't have folded just when the offense finally got their shit together. . . ah well, that's why it's a team game-- when one unit looks like they're actually in danger of maybe winning the game, the other guys are there to let them down. . . .

:frusty:

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2008, 12:52 AM

What are you arguing? The defense gave up 1 TD today. Clearly today, they did not play like the "worst defense in the NFL".

Receivers couldn't get open. Cutler didn't realize we were wearing orange today, and not white. Pittman looked old and sluggish. Ryan Torain looks like another garbage young RB in the Denver system that nobody else wants. The defense showed their true colors on one drive. Cutler couldn't move the ball down the field to score a TD when we had the ball at the end.

People are blaming Cutler just like you're saying he's the only one who had a good game.

Benetto
11-03-2008, 02:19 AM
The defense had a chance to win the game today..At least set up the win...
Forget the successful/crucial stops...That is null when all the defense had to do is hold the Fins to a freakin FG...Had 80 yards to work with, and allowed a TD. :tsk:

THEY lost the game today...7 minutes left, down by 2 need to stop the opposition with 80 yards to go..

If the offense got the ball back with 2-3 minutes, down by 2-5 and they couldn't score...I'd say it was all the Offense's fault.

Today it was the DEFENSE, 100% who cost us the game.

silkamilkamonico
11-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Today it was the DEFENSE, 100% who cost us the game.

I would say it was 50-50, considering our offense spot them half of their points. Or else we would have won by 1 point.

Also, someone please inform the offense that the game is 60 minutes long. They haven't shown 1 game this year that they are aware of that.

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Hopefully after this game people will start to realize that our talent isnt really that bad and it was defensive playcalling and scheming that constributed to this loss.

Obviously most of the blame gets places on Cutler and the running game, but without those huge cushions and stupid playcalling we still would have won the game IMO.

3rd and 20 and we bring the house....3rd and 4 and we drop back into a 15 yard deep zone...it's mindboggling.

hamrob
11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
The defense played pretty good today but broke down on that last drive after we scored. After the last TD, if we could of went three and out, we could of built off that momentum and probably scored again pretty quick. That was a horrible series by the defense.It was terrible....it is spelled SLOWIK... A ten yard cushion? Sign me up. Anyone could complete those passes. 11 catches and 7 first downs. Paymah said after the game...I don't know why we didn't change the defense up...we were giving them everyone of those catches.

Hello!

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I bet even the players are starting to think firing or demoting Slowik at this point is a good idea.

broncofaninfla
11-03-2008, 09:53 AM

From the Denver Post:
"Their coverage. . . 41 (Broncos cornerback Karl Paymah) was just playing off. I guess the linebacker was supposed to buzz out there, but the ball came out so quick you can't really get to that," Camarillo said. "I don't really know whose responsibility it was, but I'm glad we kept going to it.

"After the game, (Paymah) came up to me and said, 'Man, I don't know why we didn't switch defenses. We were just giving you the ball the whole time.' "

Slowick is an idiot

broncofaninfla
11-03-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree though, this loss was on the offense. Other than Royal, Hillis and Clady, the rest of the offense stunk it up.

BroncoJoe
11-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Don't hang this 26-17 loss on the defense.

Expectations weren't high for the Broncos defense, with All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey out because of an injury, but until Miami's final eight-minute-plus scoring drive Sunday, Denver's defense kept the Broncos in the game, while the offense kept giving it away.

Miami scored 13 points off Denver turnovers, all generated by quarterback Jay Cutler's interceptions.

Cutler threw interceptions on two of the Broncos' first three drives, helping put the Broncos in a 13-0 hole 10 minutes into the game.

"That's how this game goes," cornerback Dre Bly said. "Just a seesaw match."

But the Broncos defense, which fast was becoming a leaguewide joke, curtailed the damage, holding the Dolphins to 75 rushing yards and 4-of-14 third-down conversions, giving Denver a fighting chance until the final quarter.

But with the Dolphins hanging on to a 19-17 lead, Miami quarterback Chad Pennington led them on a game-clinching drive. They went 80 yards on 15 plays, killing 8:02 off the clock, and scored on Ronnie Brown's 2-yard touchdown run.

The key plays were an 18-yard pass to Brown on third-and-19, a play on which Denver linebacker D.J. Williams and safety Marlon McCree were injured, that set up a short fourth-and-1 conversion.

Pennington then hit Ricky Williams on a 23-yard pass play, when Broncos linebacker Louis Green got turned around in coverage, to set up Brown's short touchdown run.

The drive left only 3:10 for the Broncos, essentially killing their chances at victory.

"We don't judge our defensive performance on whether or not we held some guys under some yards or not," Broncos linebacker Jamie Winborn said. "At the end of the game, we just look up at the scoreboard and if we're ahead, then that's a good game for us. If not, than we didn't do enough."

While Cutler's interceptions were the main obstacle to a Broncos victory, Bly said the third- year quarterback has been responsible for his share of victories this season.

"At the beginning of the season, we were out there giving up points and the offense had to score 40 points," he said. "I'm not going to criticize any of our offensive players. Jay Cutler is, to me, one of the best in this game. Still young and still progressing, but I would take him any day over anyone in this league."

Without Bailey, the Broncos got up-and-down performances from cornerbacks Karl Paymah and Josh Bell. Paymah intercepted Pennington in the third quarter, only the Broncos' third interception this season and second by its secondary. But Greg Camarillo, who faced Paymah most of the day, had 11 receptions for 111 yards to lead Miami receivers.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/02/denver-defense-gets-it-done-until-final-dolphins-d/

smith49
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
The broncos have been guessing on the side of caution the whole freaking season and it has got them nowhere. Need I remind you it was the side of caution that had us playing 5-10 yards off receivers? And no 3rd and forever doesn't make it "High possibility of a screen" it depends on who is calling the plays. A lot of play callers would have passed and if we rushed 3 players again it would have given the QB all day to throw.

So for once they attacked and got burned. If they called a normal pass play it might have worked, but again this was a rock paper scissors game and we picked the wrong one.

ok loyal. you are right and i am wrong. ok? im not trying to argue the point with you. its just my opinion, and you may not agree. i think that on third and forever, especially where they were on the field, is a great time to call a draw play or a screen. it is highly possible that the opposing team is going to try and throw a safe screen and try to get a first down. it happens all the "freaking" time at all levels of the game. sorry that you dont agree, that is fine. its just MY opinion, so you don't need to get too bent out of shape. im not that smart when it comes to football anyhow.

haroldthebarrel
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Don't hang this 26-17 loss on the defense.

Expectations weren't high for the Broncos defense, with All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey out because of an injury, but until Miami's final eight-minute-plus scoring drive Sunday, Denver's defense kept the Broncos in the game, while the offense kept giving it away.

Miami scored 13 points off Denver turnovers, all generated by quarterback Jay Cutler's interceptions.

Cutler threw interceptions on two of the Broncos' first three drives, helping put the Broncos in a 13-0 hole 10 minutes into the game.

"That's how this game goes," cornerback Dre Bly said. "Just a seesaw match."

But the Broncos defense, which fast was becoming a leaguewide joke, curtailed the damage, holding the Dolphins to 75 rushing yards and 4-of-14 third-down conversions, giving Denver a fighting chance until the final quarter.

But with the Dolphins hanging on to a 19-17 lead, Miami quarterback Chad Pennington led them on a game-clinching drive. They went 80 yards on 15 plays, killing 8:02 off the clock, and scored on Ronnie Brown's 2-yard touchdown run.

The key plays were an 18-yard pass to Brown on third-and-19, a play on which Denver linebacker D.J. Williams and safety Marlon McCree were injured, that set up a short fourth-and-1 conversion.

Pennington then hit Ricky Williams on a 23-yard pass play, when Broncos linebacker Louis Green got turned around in coverage, to set up Brown's short touchdown run.

The drive left only 3:10 for the Broncos, essentially killing their chances at victory.

"We don't judge our defensive performance on whether or not we held some guys under some yards or not," Broncos linebacker Jamie Winborn said. "At the end of the game, we just look up at the scoreboard and if we're ahead, then that's a good game for us. If not, than we didn't do enough."

While Cutler's interceptions were the main obstacle to a Broncos victory, Bly said the third- year quarterback has been responsible for his share of victories this season.

"At the beginning of the season, we were out there giving up points and the offense had to score 40 points," he said. "I'm not going to criticize any of our offensive players. Jay Cutler is, to me, one of the best in this game. Still young and still progressing, but I would take him any day over anyone in this league."

Without Bailey, the Broncos got up-and-down performances from cornerbacks Karl Paymah and Josh Bell. Paymah intercepted Pennington in the third quarter, only the Broncos' third interception this season and second by its secondary. But Greg Camarillo, who faced Paymah most of the day, had 11 receptions for 111 yards to lead Miami receivers.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/02/denver-defense-gets-it-done-until-final-dolphins-d/

What kind of looser mentality is that highligthed in bold. You play defense to stop your players on each and every down. Not to look back at the scoreboard and say you were good if you win.
This explains every bit why we suck. The mentality is wrong.

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
What kind of looser mentality is that highligthed in bold. You play defense to stop your players on each and every down. Not to look back at the scoreboard and say you were good if you win.
This explains every bit why we suck. The mentality is wrong.

Thats what I was thinking....so I guess they were good against SD and NO :laugh:

LRtagger
11-03-2008, 03:56 PM
ok loyal. you are right and i am wrong. ok? im not trying to argue the point with you. its just my opinion, and you may not agree. i think that on third and forever, especially where they were on the field, is a great time to call a draw play or a screen. it is highly possible that the opposing team is going to try and throw a safe screen and try to get a first down. it happens all the "freaking" time at all levels of the game. sorry that you dont agree, that is fine. its just MY opinion, so you don't need to get too bent out of shape. im not that smart when it comes to football anyhow.

No need to apologize...I thought it was a dumb call too. We didnt blitz all game except on a 3rd and 20 where the last thing you want to do is get beat over the top or not have enough defenders to tackle a guy that gets through the LOS.

Then on 3rd and 3 we play a soft zone.

The entire defensive playcalling was retarded. It's a good thing our players stepped up and played fundamentally sound. If our fundamentals were as bad as they were against NE, this would have been another rout.