PDA

View Full Version : Report: Relations between NFLAA, NFLPA remain strained

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Smith must be a bigger JERK than I thought he was :tsk:

Relations between the NFL and NFL Players Association have improved in recent weeks, with a series of secret meetings a possible signal the sides are serious about ending the longest work stoppage in league history.

Communication between the NFL Alumni Association and NFLPA continue to be an issue, however.George Martin, the former New York Giants standout and director of the NFL Alumni Association, released his frustrations in a recent internal memo obtained by Pro Football Talk. The memo, sent to the alumni association's board of directors and its 32 chapter heads, detailed Martin's impressions after a recent sitdown with NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and NFLPA retired player advocates Nolan Harrison and Cornelius Bennett.

Explaining his view of the meeting, Martin wrote that the "atmosphere was very defiant, accusatory, and outright disrespectful."

Despite his best efforts, Martin still hasn't been able to get a private meeting with Smith.

AND FROM ARTICLE:

Martin speculated in March that the NFLPA viewed the alumni association as "a pawn of the league," according to the New York Daily News. The NFLAA has a much better relationship with the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell, who has promised in writing protection of benefits to retired players despite the lockout.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204adbd/article/report-relations-between-nflaa-nflpa-remain-strained?module=HP_headlines

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
This doesn't exactly improve me opinion of Smith.

Canmore
06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
This doesn't exactly improve me opinion of Smith.
Lawyers!:tsk:

RebelRocker
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Smith must be a bigger JERK than I thought he was :tsk:

AND FROM ARTICLE:

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204adbd/article/report-relations-between-nflaa-nflpa-remain-strained?module=HP_headlines

Am I the only one that thinks D. Smith should be chased out of his job by a mob of angry fans as soon as this lockout is over? The more I read about the lockout, the more I think it's this dipshit's fault for not trying to compromise. As far as I'm concerned, he's in a lose/lose situation. If the players really wanted to get their way, they would have striked this last season instead of doing the "fists in the air" crap.

Timmy!
06-13-2011, 12:47 AM
RIP Gene Upshaw.......

Sure could use you now.

Lonestar
06-13-2011, 02:32 AM
He seems to be the leader that has a woody for the owners and has pushed the we need to see your books.

I do not known of any private company that shows the ledger to the employees.

But he has been focused only on seeing the books.

spikerman
06-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Lawyers!:tsk:

99 percent of lawyers give the rest of 'em a bad name.

It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Lonestar
06-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Let me add the retirees have always been neglected by the nflpa an after thought but now they have some leverage with the NFL due to all the press reports of brain injuries to their players/members. RS is an agenda seeking lawyer. The worst kind. If anything he should ne beating that drum louder.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
"When you don't have a conversation with the recognized leader of the NFL alumni, how can you say you have the best interests of retired players at heart when you won't even sit down and talk to their leadership," Martin told The Star-Ledger (Newark, N.J.) in Sunday's edition. "That to me flies in the face of that rationale."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204b67e/article/alumni-leader-feels-nflpas-smith-hasnt-communicated-well?module=HP_headlines

It definitely is not the NFL who has turned their back on the retired players