PDA

View Full Version : PewterReport:Bucs, Broncos File Third Grievance Against Plummer

Skinny
09-29-2007, 03:34 PM
By: Jim Flynn and Scott Reynolds
September 29, 2007

Tampa Bay and Denver have jointly filed a third grievance against QB Jake Plummer, who has been AWOL since the Bucs traded for his rights in March. In addition to pursuing as much as $7 million in bonuses Plummer received while playing for the Broncos, the Bucs have fined him over $500,000 for missing several team-related activities.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have followed through on their threat to make quarterback Jake Plummer pay for not playing.

It was previously reported that the Bucs and Denver Broncos jointly filed two grievances against Plummer for his failure to report to Tampa Bay immediately after Denver traded his rights to the Bucs in March and for his failure to report to the Bucs’ three-day mandatory mini-camp in June.

Now, PewterReport.com is reporting that the Bucs and Broncos have jointly filed a third grievance against Plummer for his failure to report to Tampa Bay’s training camp on July 26.

The Bucs are attempting to receive as much as $7 million in bonus money Plummer received while playing in Denver due to the fact that he has retired unilaterally. In addition to the three grievances filed against him, Plummer has accumulated over $500,000 in fines, according to a team source, for missing the mandatory mini-camp, training camp, team meetings, workouts, team plane rides to away games and team buses, among other infractions. Pursuant to Article XIX (Veteran Free Agency) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the maximum fine per day is $14,288.

Plummer, 32, announced his retirement from the NFL shortly after the Bucs traded a 2008 seventh-round draft pick to the Broncos in exchange for his rights. He has yet to file retiremenet paperwork with the NFL, likely because the Buccaneers wouldn't approve the paperwork he would submit.

Because Tampa Bay owns his rights and Plummer is still under contract, the team has the right to accept or deny a player's retirement. In this case, the Bucs have obviously sent a message to Plummer that they would reject the notion of his formal retirement should he go through with the paperwork.

Bucs general manager Bruce Allen and head coach Jon Gruden spent the offseason attempting to convince Plummer to play for Tampa Bay.

Gruden even met with Plummer in Idaho shortly after Tampa Bay’s offseason workouts concluded, but Plummer still chose not to report to Tampa Bay’s training camp, which required players under contract to report for duty on July 26.

Plummer, who has three years remaining on his contract, has completed 57.1 percent of his career passes for 29,253 yards and tossed 131 touchdowns and 131 interceptions since entering the NFL with the Arizona Cardinals in 1997.

The Bucs currently have four quarterbacks – Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski and Chris Simms – on their active roster. Plummer has been placed on the Did Not Report list and has been treated like a holdout by the front office.

Should Plummer eventually play for Tampa Bay, the seventh-round pick the team traded to Denver would become a fourth-round selection.

The reason for the Broncos inclusion in Tampa Bay's grievance procedures is to clearly state to the NFLPA that the Buccaneers are solely entitled to the $7 million worth of bonuses owed to them by Plummer (even though the Broncos originally paid Plummer the money), and that Denver has given its blessing that the Bucs proceed to collect that money.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/3406

Skinny
09-29-2007, 03:35 PM
He's going to have to do something i would imagine. How much longer can he elude 7+ mil hanging over his head??

Tned
09-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Plummer, 32, announced his retirement from the NFL shortly after the Bucs traded a 2008 seventh-round draft pick to the Broncos in exchange for his rights. He has yet to file retiremenet paperwork with the NFL, likely because the Buccaneers wouldn't approve the paperwork he would submit.

Because Tampa Bay owns his rights and Plummer is still under contract, the team has the right to accept or deny a player's retirement. In this case, the Bucs have obviously sent a message to Plummer that they would reject the notion of his formal retirement should he go through with the paperwork.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this possibility before. I had always assumed the delay in filing papers was likely due to advice from legal or financial counsel.

omac
09-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Plus a half million in penalties ....

I think they should just settle. No way is Plummer anywhere near playing form to contribute. Besides, the Bucs are doing just fine with Garcia.

On another note, I read in another forum that there are rumours that Gruden is interested in taking over the Giants head coaching possition next season. Imagine if after all that trouble of trading away a draft pick to get Plummer, then going through litigation for money owed by Plummer, he leaves Tampa Bay anyway. :D

SmithOverTO
09-30-2007, 12:13 PM
As someone who has to file paperwork for contracts at exactly certain times on certain days one can only wonder what the hell Jake was thinking?

Oh well...

topscribe
09-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, if Jake owes the money, then he owes it.

But as far as being a "dippy hippie," I wouldn't mind living that kind of "dippy
hippie" life. Living in the Idaho mountains, next to God's nature, playing
handball. If he no longer enjoyed playing football, if he wanted to live without
the stress and constant bashing and personal attacks he had to endure, then
why do people think he owes it to Broncos fans to go where he doesn't want
to go and play where he doesn't want to play, just to give us a fourth-round
draft choice? He doesn't owe anybody anything except himself and his own
family. The rest can take a hike . . .

Regarding the paperwork, the article indicates as to possibly why he didn't
file it.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Let a dead dog lie.

lex
09-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I hope he saved some money. I wonder if he and Ricky Williams are hanging out.

BroncoWave
09-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Let a dead dog lie.

Dream, being the draft guru you are I figured you would be all over this seeing as this could result in us getting a 4th round pick if Plummer were to somehow comeback.

topscribe
09-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Classic, but wrong....

Nobody is "forcing" him to do anything. IF he's retired, all he has to do is file his paperwork.

I know this article mentioned that the Bucs wouldn't accept it, but they wouldn't have any choice. They could still go after the money, but they couldn't prevent him from retiring. Besides, if he had filed it back when he said he was retired, the rest of the situation would be mute.

Jake is a true FLAKE.

His "rebel" attitude might have been popular when he was playing, but it's unappropriate if he's retiring.

NO ONE is above the rules. Even a "good guy" (excuse me while I try to keep my lunch down) has to follow procedures. The rules that he is violating are in place for the protection of ALL players. They aren't a set of rules that were created just for Jake.

Yet, Jake seems to feel that he can pick and choose what rules he wants to follow. He thinks that his "screw you" attitude that made him popular with the fans will work again.

Sorry, but the collective bargaining agreement (which he participated in as a union member) doesn't allow players to "do there own thing" when it comes to contracts, retirement, etc...

If Jake is retired, if he quit, then he doesn't have to follow the "rules" or do
anything. I cannot think of one employer in my past whose rules I have to
obey now. He quit. He doesn't work for them anymore.

And I doubt seriously whether Jake is the least bit concerned what you
or anybody else thinks of him. Nor would I be in his situation. Nor would I
feel the need to follow the Broncos', Bucs', or NFL's rules, just because they
would want me to.

I am very grateful for the three great playoff years Jake helped to produce.
And I can identify with Jake's "free" spirit. If I could shave about 30 years
off my age, I might be his neighbor up there. :coffee:

-----

BigBroncLove
09-30-2007, 01:37 PM

But as far as being a "dippy hippie," I wouldn't mind living that kind of "dippy
handball. If he no longer enjoyed playing football, if he wanted to live without

file it.

-----

Great post. I cannot agree more. :2thumbs:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Dream, being the draft guru you are I figured you would be all over this seeing as this could result in us getting a 4th round pick if Plummer were to somehow comeback.

Would I enjoy a fourth rounder over a seventh rounder? Yeah, but you know what - Jake is doing his thing now and that's all on him. If he hasn't filed his retirement papers, I don't know what he's waiting for. I couldn't care less right now, I'm focused on the Broncos who are on this team, not ex-Broncos.

Tned
09-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I know this article mentioned that the Bucs wouldn't accept it, but they wouldn't have any choice. They could still go after the money, but they couldn't prevent him from retiring. Besides, if he had filed it back when he said he was retired, the rest of the situation would be mute.

This article was already posted yesterday or the day before.

Do you know for a fact that the article is wrong and that TB does not have to approve the retirement, since Jake is under contract with them? If so, where did you get that info?

lex
09-30-2007, 02:13 PM
If Jake is retired, if he quit, then he doesn't have to follow the "rules" or do
anything. I cannot think of one employer in my past whose rules I have to
obey now. He quit. He doesn't work for them anymore.

And I doubt seriously whether Jake is the least bit concerned what you
or anybody else thinks of him. Nor would I be in his situation. Nor would I
feel the need to follow the Broncos', Bucs', or NFL's rules, just because they
would want me to.

I am very grateful for the three great playoff years Jake helped to produce.
And I can identify with Jake's "free" spirit. If I could shave about 30 years
off my age, I might be his neighbor up there. :coffee:

-----

He was a part of the players union and received benefits from being in the players union. If you enjoy the benefits or choose to be a part of a union and or sign contracts where there are specified conditions, you accept responsibilty to comply with their rules.

topscribe
09-30-2007, 02:22 PM
He was a part of the players union and received benefits from being in the players union. If you enjoy the benefits or choose to be a part of a union and or sign contracts where there are specified conditions, you accept responsibilty to comply with their rules.

I worked in union jobs and "enjoyed" the benefits, and when I left, I left it all
behind. That's what he did. If they feel otherwise, they can take the civil
route. But I would not feel I owed the teams, NFL, player's union, or fans
anything whatsoever, except perhaps a given amount of money to be
returned.

Outside of that, he owes nobody anything. Period. :coffee:

-----

Skinny
09-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I worked in union jobs and "enjoyed" the benefits, and when I left, I left it all
returned.

-----Agreed Top. He does'nt owe anybody anything but the 7+ Million dollars.

lex
09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
returned.

-----

Thats a big negative. You act like its all uniform. Plus 7 million is a significant amount. If you had left a job before, was there a signing bonus for them to go after? Was it 7 million dollars? An apple and an orange are not the same because theyre both fruit.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
People are still hostile about Jake?? :confused:

Imagine that. Give it a rest. Or better yet, get a freakin life!!

:coffee:

lex
09-30-2007, 04:49 PM
People are still hostile about Jake?? :confused:

Imagine that. Give it a rest. Or better yet, get a freakin life!!

Who says anything about hostility. Either he is on the hook or he isnt and since there is precedent like this in the form of Ricky Williams, it doesnt look good for Jake. It doesnt really matter if I like him or not as a QB.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Who says anything about hostility. Either he is on the hook or he isnt and since there is precedent like this in the form of Ricky Williams, it doesnt look good for Jake. It doesnt really matter if I like him or not as a QB.

He is a Buc now. ITs their problem He is not even on our team anymore. Who cares!!!

Just those who watch his every move and cant give it or him a rest.

lex
09-30-2007, 05:12 PM
He is a Buc now. ITs their problem He is not even on our team anymore. Who cares!!!

Just those who watch his every move and cant give it or him a rest.

Im sure people had comments about Ricky Williams situation when he was on the Dolphins. Why should Jake be any different just because he is a former Bronco. Youre the one who should really let it go. The thread topic was clearly labelled.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Im sure people had comments about Ricky Williams situation when he was on the Dolphins. Why should Jake be any different just because he is a former Bronco. Youre the one who should really let it go. The thread topic was clearly labelled.

Ricky Williams??? :confused:

How did he get dragged into this?

Nevermind...

Tned
09-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Nevermind...

In case you don't actually know, he was a player that attempted to retire while under contract and was ordered by a court to repay $8 million in signing bonuses.

lex
09-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Nevermind...

Ricky Williams also suddenly announced he would retire and then moved to India or wherever...not unlike Jake. Like I said, his situation is a precedent.

Watchthemiddle
09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Ricky Williams also suddenly announced he would retire and then moved to India or wherever...not unlike Jake. Like I said, his situation is a precedent.

Oh okay....

So lets continue to moan about Jake during a Broncos game against the Colts.

Got it.

topscribe
09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Thats a big negative. You act like its all uniform. Plus 7 million is a significant amount. If you had left a job before, was there a signing bonus for them to go after? Was it 7 million dollars? An apple and an orange are not the same because theyre both fruit.

If he doesn't want to play anymore, then he doesn't want to play anymore.

What do you think this is, indentured servitude? :tsk:

-----

arapaho2
09-30-2007, 09:23 PM

file it.

-----

well top ....he does owe someone...he owes the bucs either his services or his money...he signed a contract....and noble as some believe he is he cannot just ignore it and say i quit

a true test of plummers charachter would be if he came in , signed his paperwork, wrote the bucks a 7,500,000 check ..then he could retire to the wilderness with my full support and respect

SM19
09-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Pretty sure I wouldn't return $7.5 million without a court order saying that I had to either.

Tned
10-01-2007, 11:13 AM
If he doesn't want to play anymore, then he doesn't HAVE to.

However, he DOES have to follow the rules when he does.

This isn't a 'rules' matter, it is a legal matter. It is a contract dispute.

If he decides to play again, then he has to follow the 'rules', if not, then there are no rules to follow, except for the laws of the country in which he resides.

topscribe
10-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Sorry, but the guidelines under the CBA require certain procedures be followed when a player retires.

Flake has decided to retire, yet he hasn't followed those procedures. In other words, he is violating the rules of retirement.

So, as I stated, if he doesn't want to play anymore, fine. But he must follow the procedures of retirement. If he doesn't, he is subject to the consequences of violating those rules.

Well then, he will suffer those consequences, not us.

So what's the big deal? :confused:

-----

Tned
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but the guidelines under the CBA require certain procedures be followed when a player retires.

Flake has decided to retire, yet he hasn't followed those procedures. In other words, he is violating the rules of retirement.

So, as I stated, if he doesn't want to play anymore, fine. But he must follow the procedures of retirement. If he doesn't, he is subject to the consequences of violating those rules.

Ok, Mtn, I am going to choose not to participate in this thread and longer, because your use of St. Jake, Flake and other silly names is making me want to respond in ways I shouldn't.

topscribe
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Ok, Mtn, I am going to choose not to participate in this thread and longer, because your use of St. Jake, Flake and other silly names is making me want to respond in ways I shouldn't.

Mtnman, do you think you can discuss this issue without the bitterness and
vitriol you are displaying toward Jake, or should I simply close this thread? It
would be very easy for me to do.

I'm not worried about Jake in this sense. I just believe it is not good for
the boards.

-----

Broncos Mtnman
10-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Mtnman, do you think you can discuss this issue without the bitterness and
vitriol you are displaying toward Jake, or should I simply close this thread? It
would be very easy for me to do.

I'm not worried about Jake in this sense. I just believe it is not good for
the boards.

-----

No need to worry. I've deleted all my posts.

I will never comment on Jake Plummer again.