PDA

View Full Version : Broncos CB Paymah Ready To Fill In For Bailey

Lonestar
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
By Pat Graham, AP Sports Writer
DENVER (AP) ― Broncos defensive back Karl Paymah's task may soon be to fill in for Champ Bailey, the most feared cover corner in the league.

No pressure there.

Bailey's the best in the business, the standard on which other cornerbacks are measured and judged.

"You can have someone go in and take his place, but as far as actually replacing his production, performance, ability, things of that nature? Everybody knows you can't do that," Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik said. "He is the best in the league."

With Bailey out at least a month with a groin injury, Paymah is in line to get the first crack at taking over Bailey's role when the Broncos (4-3) host Miami (3-4) on Sunday.

Paymah realizes he's going to be a tantalizing target for quarterbacks, especially with Dre' Bly on the other side.

Bly was the one teams tried to exploit when Bailey was around.

Now, Paymah may soon know how Bly feels.

"Champ's a tremendous loss for the team," said Paymah, in his fourth NFL season. "You've got to step in and do your job and be accountable. That's my plan."

Bailey has been to eight straight Pro Bowls and picked off a league-leading 25 passes since 2004. He's been so good at locking down receivers, quarterbacks rarely risk picking on him out of fear of getting picked off.

Those are colossal cleats to fill.

"I don't really look at it like that," Paymah said. "Got to step in and keep the ball rolling."

Bailey's always available for advice and helpful hints. Just the other day in practice, rookie Jack Williams blitzed Bailey with questions about a particular look on defense.

Bailey gladly gave Williams his take.

"He gives you little tips on how to play the position," said Williams, who could also see some time at corner with Bailey out of action. "He never shies away from helping."

Bailey was injured in the Broncos' 41-7 loss at New England on Oct. 20, pulling up with a groin injury while he was covering Randy Moss.

Once Bailey was gone, Moss had a field day, catching two touchdown passes.

It could be a long month without him.

"You don't have any choice. The guy that steps in there has to do the best he can," Slowik said. "Guys have to pick it up in the rush and coverage, but you're not going to replace him so you have to do the best you can with what you've got."

Bailey's younger brother, Boss, also was injured against the Patriots and will need season-ending microfracture surgery on his left knee.

It was two burdensome blows for a defense that's already ranked near the bottom of the league. Denver is giving up nearly 400 yards and 28 points a game.

"It's always tough if you're not having the success you want," Slowik said. "If you keep getting better and keep working at it, sooner or later our statistics will get better. But right now, we're concerned about trying to help the team win a game."

Slowik doesn't anticipate changing the defense in the wake of Champ Bailey's absence. He has faith in Paymah's proficiency, should he get the call at corner.

"Karl's had three years where he's performed very well," Slowik said. "Sometimes you hit a valley, sometimes you hit a peak, and he's had more peaks than valleys. We've got to get him back up there where he's confident with what he's doing."

The Broncos are going to continue to waffle between the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive look, hoping to catch teams off guard and get more heat on the quarterback. It worked against New England. The defense sacked Matt Cassel six times in the loss.

However, the defense will be facing a wrinkle they haven't seen if Miami breaks out the single wing, a formation where halfback Ronnie Brown takes a direct snap and quarterback Chad Pennington shoots out wide.

From there, anything can happen. The single wing has resulted in six TDs in 37 plays.

"It'll be a challenge. They can hurt you in a lot of ways with the kind of offense that they run," defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson said. "We just have to be very disciplined. Guys just have to be where they're supposed to be."

Notes: Broncos RB Andre Hall (ankle) didn't practice Thursday, while TE Tony Scheffler (groin), WR Brandon Stokley (concussion) and RB Selvin Young (groin) participated on a limited basis. ... WR Brandon Marshall appeared on the injury report with a groin injury, but fully participated in practice. ... Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said his preference is to keep rookie RB Ryan Torain out Sunday to give him more time to come back from his elbow injury. But the Broncos may need him, given their dinged-up backfield. "We'll wait and see," Shanahan said of Torain's debut.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cornerback.Paymah.2.853721.html

I see pass receiving records set today..

Den21vsBal19
11-02-2008, 12:18 PM
By Pat Graham, AP Sports Writer
DENVER (AP) ― Broncos defensive back Karl Paymah's task may soon be to fill in for Champ Bailey, the most feared cover corner in the league.

No pressure there.

Bailey's the best in the business, the standard on which other cornerbacks are measured and judged.

"You can have someone go in and take his place, but as far as actually replacing his production, performance, ability, things of that nature? Everybody knows you can't do that," Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik said. "He is the best in the league."

I see pass receiving records set today..

And therein lies the heart of the whole problem...............no frackin' pressure!!!! :frusty:

Bly might have a decent game today, as there's no need to pick on him all day long :laugh:

Best of luck to Paymah.....................he's in for a long day:salute:

Broncolingus
11-02-2008, 12:23 PM
If Denver could generate ANY pass rush at all, or if any of the front 7 of the defense could even put a finger on an opposing team's RB, then I'd feel less concerned about Paymah...

girler
11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm wearing my #24 jersey to the game today. I hope it will help. :salute:

Den21vsBal19
11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
If Denver could generate ANY pass rush at all, or if any of the front 7 of the defense could even put a finger on an opposing team's RB, then I'd feel less concerned about Paymah...
The way I look at it, I'll forgive Bly & Paymah a lot...............the way we pressure the QB we could play Scooby & Shaggy on the corners and they wouldn't be made to look any worse :frusty:

ApaOps5
11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
The only filling in Paymah will do is he will line up opposite a WR where Champ used to be. Other than that the filling in stops there.

Skinny
11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Just don't give up the big one. WRs are going to catch passes, when they do, tackle them.

Nomad
11-02-2008, 12:37 PM
The way I look at it, I'll forgive Bly & Paymah a lot...............the way we pressure the QB we could play Scooby & Shaggy on the corners and they wouldn't be made to look any worse :frusty:

Bly would be easy to forgive because of the weak pass rush if he could tackle!

Nomad
11-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Just don't give up the big one. WRs are going to catch passes, when they do, tackle them.

That's the main weakness of the defense as a whole!

NameUsedBefore
11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Paymah, my mah, these are words that go well togetha, my Paymah.

PAYMAH '08!

yardog
11-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Paymah Ready To Fill In For Bailey.

:tsk:

BroncoTech
11-02-2008, 02:20 PM
The only filling in Paymah will do is he will line up opposite a WR where Champ used to be. Other than that the filling in stops there.

You'd have to line him across from the center to get in on half the tackles Champ does.

Northman
11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
We're screwed.

Retired_Member_001
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Welll this should be interesting...

NightTrainLayne
11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
The Broncos are going to continue to waffle between the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive look, hoping to catch teams off guard and get more heat on the quarterback. It worked against New England. The defense sacked Matt Cassel six times in the loss.

WTF?!!??? :confused:

What worked? They put up 41 points on us! :confused:

MOtorboat
11-02-2008, 02:37 PM
WTF?!!??? :confused:

What worked? They put up 41 points on us! :confused:

Hey, at least it wasn't 42 points.