PDA

View Full Version : Framework for agreement could come in two weeks

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Though it’s still way too early to claim that the lockout is “over” or “almost over,” the signs of progress continue to emerge.

The latest? Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that the the “expectation is for a framework agreement in about two weeks.”

Kaplan’s report meshes with other chatter we’re hearing. None of it may mean much in isolation, but taken together it suggests that teams are now operating under the assumption that the full season — with preseason and training camp — will unfold as scheduled.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/11/framework-for-agreement-could-come-in-two-weeks/

RebelRocker
06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/11/framework-for-agreement-could-come-in-two-weeks/

If that true, that's great news!!! :beer:

Shazam!
06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Please please PLEASE get it done!! I wanna see our NEW Broncos!

Montana Battlin Bear
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Fap Fap Fap Fap

SpringsBroncoFan
06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow, something nice to read in here again!

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 01:49 AM
The framework for an agreement, what kind of male Bovine excrement is that?

They had a great CBA to start from, that is what you take and add and subtract from it till everyone is okay with it

Not brain surgery.

Davii
06-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Could be great news! Let's hope both sides are willing to work and get this done! I'm ready for some Bronco football!

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
This is more good news. Lets hope they can get the framework a new deal done in two weeks.

BroncoJoe
06-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Please please please please please....

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
For the first time since the lockout began 91 days ago, there appears to be genuine optimism that owners, coaches, players and fans will be able to get on with their football-loving lives, and it could happen in the next few weeks.

CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman was the first to report reasons for optimism. Way back on June 2, Freeman wrote that "There is a still a great deal of work to do ... but it appears the owners and players have made significant headway in reaching a new labor agreement, according to multiple sources familiar with the discussions.

"One high ranking member of the former union estimated to me a new deal would be reached within two to three weeks, if not sooner. 'This is the most optimistic I’ve been in many months,' he said."

Barely a week later, that appears to be happening.

Friday night, NFL Network's Albert Breer reported that players and owners have made substantial progress in recent days towards a new collective bargaining agreement.

And Saturday morning, Sports Business Journal's Daniel Kaplan tweeted: "Told optimism is so high in NFL, players talks over labor deal that expectation is for a framework agreement in about two weeks."

But it gets better. The Houston Chronicle's Lance Zierlein recently blogged that "According to a couple of sources, NFL lockout could be over sooner than you think."

"After lengthy discussions with both sources, they both conveyed to me a great deal of hope that a deal would be done by July and possibly as early as late June," Zierlein wrote. "Why the sudden optimism? According to one of the sources, 'both sides are focusing on the percentage of total revenue coming in (would include the first $1 billion the owners are currently taking off the top) and if that deal gets done, the other issues will probably fall into place fairly quickly according to what I'm hearing.'"

Another source told Zierlein that "I am 100 times more hopeful than two weeks ago that a deal can get done relatively quickly."

rest of article - http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/29961289

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm guessing the players are buckling as I do not see the owners doing so.. it is just not healthy long term to pay that much in labor costs..

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 11:35 AM
The framework for an agreement, what kind of male Bovine excrement is that?

They didn't have a deal. That deal didn't exist after the owners opted out...so now...they are close to a deal...

According to one of the sources, 'both sides are focusing on the percentage of total revenue coming in (would include the first $1 billion the owners are currently taking off the top) and if that deal gets done, the other issues will probably fall into place fairly quickly according to what I'm hearing.

Thanks Carol.

rest of article - http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/29961289

LTC Pain
06-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm guessing the players are buckling as I do not see the owners doing so.. it is just not healthy long term to pay that much in labor costs..

What are you seeing, hearing, reading to assume that?

horsepig
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
IMO - I believe both sides are at the point where it NEEDS to get done. There is a lot at stake for both sides. NO free agents can be signed until it is done - NO contracts can be negotiated/agreed upon for the draft picks until it is done, etc, etc, etc

Davii
06-12-2011, 12:26 PM
IMO - I believe both sides are at the point where it NEEDS to get done. There is a lot at stake for both sides. NO free agents can be signed until it is done - NO contracts can be negotiated/agreed upon for the draft picks until it is done, etc, etc, etc

Not only that, Goodell said they are starting to see fan backlash. Ratings for the draft were down and NFLN ratings have been sinking more and more. That means they're already losing money. Memorabilia sales are more than likely down from normal as well.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Most importantly, coaches and players can actually speak to each other. You've gotta know the coaches are the most frustrated of all. They are caught in the middle of this and their livelihood and ability to keep their job directly depends on their ability to coach players they aren't allowed to talk to right now and for their owners to fill in the holes with FAs that they can't talk to either.

It will be a crock if any team fires any coach after this season, especially if the season is shortened.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 02:10 PM
They didn't have a deal. That deal didn't exist after the owners opted out...so now...they are close to a deal...

Thanks Carol.
yea thy opted out BUT al they had to do was change some of the wording like the monetary parts and they got a deal done the vast majority of the CBA as we know it will be the same. FA nit much to change there, draft same, other rules same.

Changes on split that is what needs to be worked out and the rookie cap

All the important stuff could have been worked out in minutes once the players understand they has a sweetheart deal and it is over.

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
yea thy opted out BUT al they had to do was change some of the wording like the monetary parts and they got a deal done the vast majority of the CBA as we know it will be the same. FA nit much to change there, draft same, other rules same.

Changes on split that is what needs to be worked out and the rookie cap

All the important stuff could have been worked out in minutes once the players understand they has a sweetheart deal and it is over.

I'm pretty sure that when lawyers are making contracts for entities as large as this, they don't just pull out the old copy and change the dates.

Besides, the owners want a lot of that old agreement changed. That's why they opted out of the agreement.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that when lawyers are making contracts for entities as large as this, they don't just pull out the old copy and change the dates.

Besides, the owners want a lot of that old agreement changed. That's why they opted out of the agreement.

I've been involved in 10-12 labor contract talks and for the most part it is boiler plate the names and adresses change as do the numbers.

the owners opted out for two reasons first the 60% that they gave away last time and to get a rookie pay scale. the rest of the CBA was owner friendly. Probably why they signed it in the first place.

but as the economy went in the crapper they saw what it was doing to the majority of the franchises and they voted to dump it early..

so they could make it so everyone can stay in business.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
BTW the lawyers get paid by the hour so they have a vested intrest in keeping this going .

rcsodak
06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
You miss the "I'm guessing" start to his post?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
There was no way that the previous CBA would be retained, with just a few minor changes. There are many comments out there by the players, when that CBA was done, stating "what a sweet deal the players got". There was no way the owners were going to basically let that ride again.

In January 2011, former NFL center and NFLPA (no asterisk at the time) president Kevin Mawae said that, in 2006, the players “got such a great deal” at the bargaining table.

And the league has consistently bludgeoned Mawae with his words ever since.

The NFL surely wishes that former quarterback quarterback Kurt Warner had a greater role in the NFLPA*, given Warner’s recent comments on the 2006 CBA.

“We had a great deal,” Warner recently said, per Mike Sando of ESPN.com. “We had one of the best deals, in my opinion, of any of the pro sports when you talking about all of the things involved. Players knew that. We understood that. It afforded us lots of luxuries and making a lot of money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/kurt-warner-echoes-kevin-mawaes-comments-about-quality-of-2006-cba/

Nomad
06-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm more along these lines! Time for both sides to pull their heads out of their asses.

It's been a busy summer so far with my boys' baseball and football camps so I haven't really noticed the lockout, plus living here I've been watching more MLB since I can watch the Mariners here and college baseball playoffs are in full swing!!

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm more along these lines! Time for both sides to pull their heads out of their asses.

It's been a busy summer so far with my boys' baseball and football camps so I haven't really noticed the lockout, plus living here I've been watching more MLB since I can watch the Mariners here and college baseball playoffs are in full swing!!

No duoubt. It's nothing concrete but it's another positive sign.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Just experiience talking. The owners as far as I could tell were united with the guy from CAR leading the pack and since he is on tuis owners group that is sitting in on the meetings the logical thing to think is the players are splintered.

Most knew they had to good a deal and it is only the hardliners (RS) that want to see the books. The rest just want to have money for bling. Some want to make sure they do not miss any game checks because folks once you lose a pay day it takes years to make it up.

I suspect that those with contract with each club will continue to get their money as planned it is the next contract they sign that will be affected.

That can't come back and take money from those that already have it.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 08:00 PM
There was no way that the previous CBA would be retained, with just a few minor changes. There are many comments out there by the players, when that CBA was done, stating "what a sweet deal the players got". There was no way the owners were going to basically let that ride again.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/kurt-warner-echoes-kevin-mawaes-comments-about-quality-of-2006-cba/

All of the minutiae of the CBA is going to be the same the only real changes are going to be monetary the split and rookie contract cap. The rest is and most likely be the same. Thee could be a give back by the owners and that is franchise tag and the length of the initial rookie contracts.

Beyond that the rest of the old CBA will be in the new CBA.

Might be a point here or there but the basic contract will be pretty close to the same. IMHO

Been an advisor and participant in anbunch of these deals with the comapny I worked for, we had three working groups withn each facility.

Believe menwhen I say this the owners/managers have all the power.

I've had folks that struck for between two and 4 weeks and it took them almost 2 years to make up the lost wages. In one case they SETTLED after 3 weeks for a Nickle an hour less than the the final offer. They never made it back.

Players employees can't afford to miss pay days. Owners hell already have their money and plan on keeping it.

Davii
06-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Most importantly, coaches and players can actually speak to each other. You've gotta know the coaches are the most frustrated of all. They are caught in the middle of this and their livelihood and ability to keep their job directly depends on their ability to coach players they aren't allowed to talk to right now and for their owners to fill in the holes with FAs that they can't talk to either.

It will be a crock if any team fires any coach after this season, especially if the season is shortened.

I've got to disagree on the last part. If a team completely stinks it up I don't think out would be wrong to fire the coach. After all, they're judged by their performance against other teams who dealt with the same lockout.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I've got to disagree on the last part. If a team completely stinks it up I don't think out would be wrong to fire the coach. After all, they're judged by their performance against other teams who dealt with the same lockout.

Agreed. A shortened season wont save a coach whose on the hot seat if his team completely stinks up the place.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Wow for the three weeks of summer you have been busy. :salute:

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 08:28 PM

If there is a total disconnect with the players and they play like crap. I believe you are correct. Especially with Coaches and Players that have been together for a while.

Those like in DEN have much more latitude.