PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos RB LenDale White must battle back from injury

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Q&A: Broncos RB LenDale White must battle back from injury
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/10/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 06/10/2011 03:05:51 PM MDT

Q: Are the Broncos in that bad shape at running back? LenDale White is still a Bronco, is he not? He is a tough runner between the tackles, is he not? Could he be the "two" in the one-two punch with (Knowshon) Moreno? If he was an option, could the Broncos use free agency to pick up a couple of former Carolina defensive tackles who do not fit into a 3-4?

A: There is always a question about full recovery from a ruptured Achilles in a running back. Some players are never the same, especially a bigger back like White.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18241593

Do some fans not realize how serious a ruptured Achilles is?

atwater27
06-11-2011, 09:36 AM
That really sucks. Signing Lendale was about the smartest thing Joshie did. I think Lendale would have been a beast for us had he not sprang his heel tendon. What a shame. Now he is damaged goods, and a big back like that is virtually worthless with a second hand achilles.

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 01:44 PM
That really sucks. Signing Lendale was about the smartest thing Joshie did. I think Lendale would have been a beast for us had he not sprang his heel tendon. What a shame. Now he is damaged goods, and a big back like that is virtually worthless with a second hand achilles.

He might be able to recover from it fully but it's iffy at best.

elsid13
06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
White was so-so before the injury, I don't expect anything from after it.

BroncoStud
06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Count your losses and move on. That's a serious injury for a power back to recover from. He wasn't all-world before and it wouldn't take much to upgrade the position anyway. If we're counting on White to contribute this year on the ground we're in deep tish.

tomjonesrocks
06-12-2011, 08:22 AM
This fascination with White as a Bronco makes no sense to me. He never produced anything in the regular season for this team and was essentially an NFL bust on the scrap heap an extended period before arriving. And now he has a devastating injury to come back from. Have nothing against White per se, other than his connection to the man that brought him in -- but we have zero evidence EFX have any interest in White's services and why would they.

I think somehow people remember Hillis in White or something.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 08:59 AM
White like most morons got the big fat contract did well at first and then just got fat. Bounced around and finnally was cut again.

Coming back home he rededicated himself got into playing shape weight and is a viable runner.

If anyone can pull this off it will be him. He is hungry. Wants to play in front of his home town fans.

Time will
Tell

HORSEPOWER 56
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM
This fascination with White as a Bronco makes no sense to me. He never produced anything in the regular season for this team and was essentially an NFL bust on the scrap heap an extended period before arriving. And now he has a devastating injury to come back from. Have nothing against White per se, other than his connection to the man that brought him in -- but we have zero evidence EFX have any interest in White's services and why would they.

I think somehow people remember Hillis in White or something.

White did have one very good season with CJ2K in Tennessee where he was their short-yardage/goal-line back, got double digit TDs, and did the heavy lifting at the end of games when you just want to run to control/burn the clock.

He was very successful in this role, but when everyone saw how successful CJ could be, it significantly cut into White's carries the next year and he turned out to be expendable.

I think all Broncos fans were hoping for was a little bit of that for us. Not for Lendale to start, just to be the hammer we needed on 3rd and short and goal-line situations. He wasn't dominant in the pre-season games before injury, but he could always get a couple yards up the middle and was a load to bring down. In the games he played, he looked like exactly what we needed to be more physical with the running game.

I was pretty excited about what I saw before the achilles injury. I hope he can make a full recovery and contribute this year. He really is exactly the type of RB we need in our stable right now.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
White did have one very good season with CJ2K in Tennessee where he was their short-yardage/goal-line back, got double digit TDs, and did the heavy lifting at the end of games when you just want to run to control/burn the clock.

He was very successful in this role, but when everyone saw how successful CJ could be, it significantly cut into White's carries the next year and he turned out to be expendable.

I think all Broncos fans were hoping for was a little bit of that for us. Not for Lendale to start, just to be the hammer we needed on 3rd and short and goal-line situations. He wasn't dominant in the pre-season games before injury, but he could always get a couple yards up the middle and was a load to bring down. In the games he played, he looked like exactly what we needed to be more physical with the running game.

I was pretty excited about what I saw before the achilles injury. I hope he can make a full recovery and contribute this year. He really is exactly the type of RB we need in our stable right now.

I agree White wasn't dominate in the preseason but he was solid.

Canmore
06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree White wasn't dominate in the preseason but he was solid.

It would be great if White could return to form but that type of injury is killer to a pro athlete. I'm not holding my breath on him or D Thomas.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 07:24 PM
It would be great if White could return to form but that type of injury is killer to a pro athlete. I'm not holding my breath on him or D Thomas.

Ugh I forget Thomas suffered the same injury not that long ago. :tsk:

Canmore
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Ugh I forget Thomas suffered the same injury not that long ago. :tsk:

I'm trying to think of some athletes who have come back from an achillies injury but I draw a blank. The list can't be to good.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to think of some athletes who have come back from an achillies injury but I draw a blank. The list can't be to good.

Jon Jensen former offensive tackle for the Washington Redskins.

Canmore
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Was he the same? I'm not familiar, and that's not a very long list. :D

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Was he the same? I'm not familiar, and that's not a very long list. :D

He played for several years afterwards fwiw. In fact he was injured in the Hall of Fame game the year Elway was inducted.

I'm sure there are others that have come back from that injury it just escapes me who they might be. It's also common of injury torn muscle or an ACL.

tomjonesrocks
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Articles were written saying only 2/3 of NFL players suffering this injury make it back. Those that do suffer dramatic performance loss.

It's very grim for both players and to expect the services of either to have a positive impact on this team again is likely wishful thinking.

elsid13
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
He played for several years afterwards fwiw. In fact he was injured in the Hall of Fame game the year Elway was inducted.

I'm sure there are others that have come back from that injury it just escapes me who they might be. It's also common of injury torn muscle or an ACL.

There is big difference in offense linemen recovering from Achilles tear and skilled player. I have more hope for Thomas based upon his age then White at this point.