PDA

View Full Version : AFC West teams deal with lockout

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 08:58 AM
AFC West teams deal with lockout
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/10/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Former Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams and former Rams fullback Mike Karney will get long looks for the backfield. Packers defensive end Cullen Jenkins is expected to be the most sought-after defensive lineman on the market, because he can play in a 3-4 like the Packers play or a 4-3.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18244173

I would like to know where Legwold gets the idea that Kris Jenkins' little brother will be interested in playing for Fox?

FanInAZ
06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
These 2 statements from this article concern me the most.

With the NFL lockout keeping things all quiet on the AFC West front, the more the offseason slips away, the more it could end up tilting the balance of power to the two teams in the division that don't have new head coaches.

Read more: AFC West teams deal with lockout - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18244173#ixzz1OydJp2LI
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Still, given that either the Chargers or Chiefs have won the division every season since 2006, and that both have their head coaches back and their rosters by and large settled, it could give them an early jump when football begins again.

Read more: AFC West teams deal with lockout - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18244173#ixzz1OydX1oTT
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Lonestar
06-11-2011, 09:38 AM

did you really think this team with all the new on it, really Had a chance to make much of a run..

I could see us as a spoiler for the next few years beyond that not much.

KC is loaded with stud players mostly from drafting top ten that past almost decade.

San was loaded and many are moving on because they finally realized what everyone else already knew that it takes a HC with a brain to win all the marbles.

OAK well until eh geezer dies all they are destined for is spoiler mode.

Shananahan
06-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I honestly believe that, outside of San Diego, who should probably be the favorites due solely to Rivers, Denver has as good a chance as anyone in the West to win the division.

Kansas City does have a lot of great talent and things are looking up, but the thing that still concerns me most about them is the team/front office structure they've built. Denver, when healthy, can compete with them. I also don't see any way that Oakland surpasses their eight wins from last year, especially considering how unlikely sweeping the division again would be.

Denver is not as bad as their record last year might imply.

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Legwold isn't completely right. The biggest changes we in the head coach and defensive staff and special teams. The offense is pretty much intact in both personnel and coaching staff. There will be a change in scheme to some degree but having McCoy and his staff being the same should help tremendously.

Lonestar
06-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I honestly believe that, outside of San Diego, who should probably be the favorites due solely to Rivers, Denver has as good a chance as anyone in the West to win the division.
Kansas City does have a lot of great talent and things are looking up, but the thing that still concerns me most about them is the team/front office structure they've built. Denver, when healthy, can compete with them. I also don't see any way that Oakland surpasses their eight wins from last year, especially considering how unlikely sweeping the division again would be.

First OAK would still have one hell of a D, if they can score some points offensively they should be good not great but at the least spoilers.

San has won it by devalue the last few years because everyone else sucked, they have boat loads of talent But the coaching enough said.

Kc has been sucking up on LOS talent for a long time and have others that have been taken with their low draft spots.

Not able to check rosters but they have been in the top ten for a long time.

Shananahan
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok?

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM

I don't know if we have enough horses to overtake San Diego and K.C. but at the very least I can see us being very competitive if we can get a half-way decent offseason.

BroncoStud
06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know if we have enough horses to overtake San Diego and K.C. but at the very least I can see us being very competitive if we can get a half-way decent offseason.

KC doesn't worry me one bit. As Jamal Charles goes so do they. If you force Matt Cassel to beat you he probably won't.

Canmore
06-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Unfortunately, I see us bringing up the rear unless we have some awesome pick-ups in free agency. Our interior defensive line just blows and our running backs are a huge question mark. Quarterback is another concern. I'm not expecting anything better than 6-10 which would be a improvement from last years debacle.

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately, I see us bringing up the rear unless we have some awesome pick-ups in free agency. Our interior defensive line just blows and our running backs are a huge question mark. Quarterback is another concern. I'm not expecting anything better than 6-10 which would be a improvement from last years debacle.

Finding competent running backs is relatively speaking easier to fill than defensive tackle. So I'm not as concerned about running back as I am defensive tackle. I agree quarterback is a concern but mostly that's because the issue is unsettled. That said I think Denver still has good chance to go at least 8-8 this season.

Canmore
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Finding competent running backs is relatively speaking easier to fill than defensive tackle. So I'm not as concerned about running back as I am defensive tackle. I agree quarterback is a concern but mostly that's because the issue is unsettled. That said I think Denver still has good chance to go at least 8-8 this season.

I would love to see 8-8 but more than anything I want to see improvement especially in the line play. Our defensive tackle situation is so up in the air. On the offensive line play, I am expecting an improvement though I am certainly not a Walton fan. I'm expecting Clady to return to form. I wish the quarterback issue would be settled and we would move forward from there but that is wishful thinking. :defense:

TXBRONC
06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I would love to see 8-8 but more than anything I want to see improvement especially in the line play. Our defensive tackle situation is so up in the air. On the offensive line play, I am expecting an improvement though I am certainly not a Walton fan. I'm expecting Clady to return to form. I wish the quarterback issue would be settled and we would move forward from there but that is wishful thinking. :defense:

I agree I want see improvement. For me it's the defensive line. I think Walton is going to be a solid center for us. He's not Nick Mangold but there just aren't a lot centers as good as him.

Canmore
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I agree I want see improvement. For me it's the defensive line. I think Walton is going to be a solid center for us. He's not Nick Mangold but there just aren't a lot centers as good as him.

Maybe I'm being to hard on JD Walton. Center is an incredibly diffucult position to play as a rookie. The defensive line must see improvement . We have to do a better job of stopping the run or teams are never going to pass on us, they won't have to. To use your words, we need some horses at defensive tackle and right now the cupboard is bare.

Superchop 7
06-12-2011, 07:02 AM
There will be a natural maturation on the o-line.

D line is the scary part of the team, hopefully we can find an anchor in free agency. One guy that requires a doubleteam would change the front 7 dramatically.

If we find "that" guy.....expect an 8-8 team, maybe 9-7.

If not, expect 6-10.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 08:29 AM
There will be a natural maturation on the o-line.

D line is the scary part of the team, hopefully we can find an anchor in free agency. One guy that requires a doubleteam would change the front 7 dramatically.

If we find "that" guy.....expect an 8-8 team, maybe 9-7.

If not, expect 6-10.

If we can find just a couple of serviceable tackles I think we'll have a better chance at winning record.

Bad Intentions
06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
If the league and owners and players can settle soon the Broncos will be more competitive than a lot of people are giving them credit for. That being said, there some team dynamics here that need to examined.

Offense- We will maintain a dynamic passing attack. But with Fox at the helm, we will have a more dedicated run game. I would expect a fairly balanced attack, close to 50/50 run/pass. If Tebow is the starter I would expect the team runs even more. I trust Tebow more in the red zone than I do between the 20s. I think he's a future 75% conversion rate when he can smell the endzone. I truly believe he can be one of the best redzone QBs we've ever had in Denver. I just don't know how much we'll be in the redzone with Tebow.

Defense- This is where the biggest gains will be made. The big question mark right now is obviously the defensive line... how will we do vs the run? Right now you have a defense that is custom built to play with a lead and force a lot of plays vs the opponents passing game. Problem is, when you're playing vs elite running teams like the Faid and Chefs, and having an offense that will not set any records in scoring, getting that lead will be a problem. Get a plug in the middle (I believe Vickerson will be a very good player for us) and this defense can make a quick jump into middle of the pack territory.

The big question here is whether the defense is complimentary to the offense. At this point, it is not. If we had a defense like this in the late 90's when we would often score on the first possession and routinely be up by 10-14 by the start of the 4th quarter, it would be perfect. But Fox plays close games. On offense he will run a lot and tick time off the clock. But if you're in the 4th quarter with a 3 point lead, you're still going to be facing the Chefs and Raiders running game and after 45 minutes of dealing with those two running teams, I could see them having some success in the 4th quarter. The run D has more issues than just a big pig in the middle. Our MLB has to be able to plug the right holes and our safety has to support. This hasn't happened in several years for us. The Broncos are going to have to realize that teams are going to run at Elvis as well. That means DJ is going to have to step up. Going laterally though, I think he will do pretty well. It's when the play is coming right at him that he struggles. On the other side, it will be up to Ayers to set the edge. I think he can do that as well. What concerns me is whether our safeties can fill a gap and make the play. I think Von will be able to help support the edge and force plays back into the middle, but I have very little confidence in McBath, Hill, Moore, or any other safety on our roster to make the tackle for little gain. Again, we're talking safeties that are made for coverage. Stopping the opponents passing game rather than their running game.

Bad Intentions
06-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Maybe I'm being to hard on JD Walton. Center is an incredibly diffucult position to play as a rookie. The defensive line must see improvement . We have to do a better job of stopping the run or teams are never going to pass on us, they won't have to. To use your words, we need some horses at defensive tackle and right now the cupboard is bare.

I agree agree that we need more than one DT. I also trust what I've seen from Vickerson. We need a pig that can play vs the run and the pass. Hell, I'd be open to sending Orton to Seattle for Mebane (assuming Mebane doesn't become an unrestricted FA). Then you can go after a big pig in the middle that gets .5 - 1.0 sacks a year, but stops the run like it's nobody's business!

Would rather we only spent the money on one good DT. Need to spend money on a TE right now. I'd be more than happy if the Broncos sent a 5 years $30m contract to Miller. Keeps the Broncos from having to defend him twice a year and helps the offense at the same time. No brainer!

KCL
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Please give more details on this part of your post.

Bad Intentions
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Please give more details on this part of your post.

Probably somewhere along the lines of Todd Haley is a douche and Romeo Crennel is a P#$$>. Then you have an OC that is about the same as McCoy was to McDaniels (That is OC in title only). To make all of that worse, you have a GM that likes to be the face of the franchise not unlike Smith in San Diego. Polian is out to prove to the world it was he, not BB that made the NE Dynasty.

So there you have it, a little detail into how most outside of Kansas $#!tty see the Chefs make up.

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Probably somewhere along the lines of Todd Haley is a douche and Romeo Crennel is a P#$$>. Then you have an OC that is about the same as McCoy was to McDaniels (That is OC in title only). To make all of that worse, you have a GM that likes to be the face of the franchise not unlike Smith in San Diego. Polian is out to prove to the world it was he, not BB that made the NE Dynasty.

So there you have it, a little detail into how most outside of Kansas $#!tty see the Chefs make up.

Pioli stays completely out of the spotlight and has done one media interview since the season's end, and only two or three since he got here, other than introduce one or two players.

Haley is an ass, but he's the face of the franchise. His OC last year was Charlie Weis. I don't think he was playing the McCoy role to Haley. Crennel is one of the best DCs in the league.

I don't like it at all, but there's nothing wrong with the front office structure of the Chiefs.

If there's anything wrong with the Chiefs, its the ability of their "franchise" quarterback to win games and the performance of their front sevens on both sides of the ball.

TXBRONC
06-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Pioli stays completely out of the spotlight and has done one media interview since the season's end, and only two or three since he got here, other than introduce one or two players.

Haley is an ass, but he's the face of the franchise. His OC last year was Charlie Weis. I don't think he was playing the McCoy role to Haley. Crennel is one of the best DCs in the league.

I don't like it at all, but there's nothing wrong with the front office structure of the Chiefs.

If there's anything wrong with the Chiefs, its the ability of their "franchise" quarterback to win games and the performance of their front sevens on both sides of the ball.

I doubt Weis would be the offensive coordinator if his job was anything like that of McCoy's for much of the past two seasons.

KCL
06-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks to both of you for your replies but I think I will go with MO's take on the Chiefs FO.

I agree with the you on the QB but not too much on the rest...altho they didn't look good in the PO game.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 09:12 PM

I thought they had drafted well on the LOS the past 5-6 years that they were bottom feeders.

Whole I have not followed them that close seems to ke they hot alot if talent then nif that is the case then the line coaches need to go or at least have a fire lit under there ass.

I knew that piaolo was a damned fine GM. Did not think he suffered from Billy envy.

Lonestar
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies but I think I will go with MO's take on the Chiefs FO.

I agree with the you on the QB but not too much on the rest...altho they didn't look good in the PO game.

I suspect it was more inexperience than anything else that is a young team IIRC