PDA

View Full Version : IndyStar:Broncos' Cutler Hopes For Happy Return

Skinny
09-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Denver QB will play at Dome for 1st time since leading Heritage Hills to 2000 Class 3A title

By Mike Chappell
Sept. 29, 2007

Jay Cutler has been here before.

Sunday, the quarterback will take the RCA Dome field to lead the Denver Broncos against the Indianapolis Colts. As a high school senior in the same venue, Cutler led Heritage Hills to a 27-24 overtime victory over Zionsville for the 2000 Class 3A state championship.

"It was like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,'' Cutler said of playing in the Dome as a high school player.

This time around, he is in his second year in the NFL, and first as the Broncos' entrenched starter. As a rookie last season, he started the final five games in relief of an ineffective Jake Plummer. He said the experience, replete with highs and lows, was invaluable.

"I think it made all the difference in the world,'' said Cutler, the 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft out of Vanderbilt. "I think right now, if this was just my first three starts, I would be a totally different quarterback. I wouldn't be where I am right now.

"Being able to play those last five games in the pressure situations we were in, I did some good and some bad.''

That included nine touchdowns and five interceptions. He lost his first two starts, won his next two . . . and then saw his rookie season come to a miserable end. In the Broncos' regular-season finale, they lost an overtime stunner to San Francisco, at home no less, to keep them out of the playoffs.

Cutler, who was temporarily knocked out of that game with a concussion, did what every young quarterback should do. He learned.

"Having the offseason to go back and look at it and learn from it, it made a big difference,'' he said. "Just getting into the NFL and seeing what it's like against defenses and the speed and what's expected of a quarterback."

The Broncos are 2-1 but aren't in sync on offense. They rank sixth in the league in total yards and eighth in passing and rushing, but tied for 23rd in scoring.

"We're moving the ball between the 20s pretty well right now, but . . . we're killing ourselves with turnovers and third downs,'' Cutler said.

The Broncos are converting a middle-of-the-pack 44.7 percent of their third downs but have turned the ball over six times. Four have been Cutler interceptions.

Despite Cutler's growing pains, coach Mike Shanahan believes he has found the franchise's quarterback of the future.

"I'm very high on him, both as a football player and a person,'' Shanahan said. "He's going to have a great future in the NFL.''
Colts coach Tony Dungy agreed, noting that Cutler brings a Brett Favre-like quality to Denver.

"He can make some throws out of the pocket,'' Dungy said. "He makes throws on the run, (and) he avoids the rush. He tries to fit some balls in (tight spaces), and that leads to some interceptions. But he makes big plays for them and he's doing well.''

It will be understandable if Cutler has a few flashbacks Sunday. Born in Santa Claus, Ind. -- 180 miles south of Indy -- he helped deliver the first state title in any team sport to Heritage Hills in that Nov. 25, 2000 game. And he did it in style. In overtime, he lateraled to running back Cole Seifrig, slipped out to the left and caught a 12-yard touchdown pass from Seifrig to win it. Also a safety for the Patriots, Cutler contributed 19 tackles as well.

"A great experience,'' he said. " . . . That's something that lasts a lifetime.''

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070929/SPORTS03/709290495/1058/SPORTS03

omac
09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Great article, Columbiaskinny! :cheers:

Wow, he played QB, receiver, and defense. And he got them the win in overtime. Impressive.

All in this dome ... a kind of magic. :D

TXBRONC
09-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for digging this up Skinny. :beer: I remembered hearing about Jay leading his high school football team to a State Championship

fcspikeit
09-29-2007, 12:06 PM
[I] And he did it in style. In overtime, he lateraled to running back Cole Seifrig, slipped out to the left and caught a 12-yard touchdown pass from Seifrig to win it. Also a safety for the Patriots, Cutler contributed 19 tackles as well.

"A great experience,'' he said. " . . . That's something that lasts a lifetime.''

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070929/SPORTS03/709290495/1058/SPORTS03

He played Safety? and had 19 tackles :eek: :listen: We could use him if Lynch can't go

Great read skinny! :beer:

BroncoWave
09-29-2007, 12:09 PM
19 tackles? :shocked:

gobroncsnv
09-29-2007, 02:27 PM
He played Safety? and had 19 tackles We could use him if Lynch can't go

Great read skinny!

My thinking EXACTLY... There have been a lot of former QB's that played safety in the NFL after college... Lynch and Nolan Cromwell come to mind. No worries about Jay not making it as a QB and having to make the switch, but could you imagine a safety with his size bearing down on you on a crossing pattern??? That wasn't a hit, that was an explosion!!!!!!!:eek:

Retired_Member_001
09-29-2007, 03:29 PM
19 tackles? :shocked:

Who cares about D.J.

We have our new MIKE.

;)

TXBRONC
09-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't you guys even kid about such things. :eek:

Retired_Member_001
09-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Don't you guys even kid about such things. :eek:

:laugh:

I was joking.

Anyone seriously considering Cutler being our backup Safety should be locked in a cage and should never be seen again.

Starting Quarterback and backup Safety, crazy. :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
09-29-2007, 06:02 PM
:laugh:

I was joking.

Anyone seriously considering Cutler being our backup Safety should be locked in a cage and should never be seen again.

Starting Quarterback and backup Safety, crazy. :rolleyes:

I knew you were kidding I just though I would join in the fun. :D