PDA

View Full Version : No bad rap for Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd

Denver Native (Carol)
06-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Some things from article:

When it comes to life as an NFL wide receiver, Brandon Lloyd has it made.

Yet, when Lloyd imagines his identity, he sees himself quite differently. He sees a musician, a writer and a businessman trying to achieve the type of breakthrough in those arenas that he had on the football field last year.

"I'm an organic rap dude," Lloyd said. "And my experiences are why my content is the way it is, but I just love local, independent artists, because I consider myself a struggling musician, just grinding away and trying to figure out your path."

Lloyd, 29, has been writing lyrics since he was a teenager and has been recording music since he started his NFL career in 2003 with San Francisco. In the past eight years, he estimates that he has written and recorded at least 150 songs. He produces demos at his home and records the full tracks at a studio in Arizona. Then he puts his finished songs online (soundcloud.com) and tries to get his tracks placed on video games and television shows. His song "Heavy" was featured last year on the Spike TV show "Blue Mountain State," and he recently shot an independent music video for his song "Chamber."

The NFL lockout, which will hit the three-month mark next week, has led Lloyd to taking another job this summer. Through an acquaintance he met in Denver, Lloyd has started working in sales for Re-Steel Supply Company, based in Commerce City, that supplies specialty metals for the aerospace industry.

"It has been really rewarding, because football is like fantasy land. It's not like really working," Lloyd said. "So, to go to steel mills in Pennsylvania and Gary, Indiana, and see that people are making containers for nuclear fuel for aircraft carriers, it puts in perspective how important I am, Brandon Lloyd the football player, in the real world."

rest of article - very interesting
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18219883

Also - on article - you can click on soundcloud.com, and do a search for his songs

horsepig
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice article, Carol. It's nice to see some of these guys actually understand there's a real world out there.