06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=6632190

topscribe
06-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer team . . . :coffee:

-----

BroncoWave
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Almost every powerhouse in college football probably does alot of the same things. USC was just unlucky and got caught.

Dzone
06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Damn, they really got their ass kicked

Ravage!!!
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Its absolutely stupid. They absolutely DESTROYED Oklahoma in that game. Anyone really going to argue they did NOT win that National Championship after 7 years? Dumbest thing I've ever seen the NCAA do, and they've done a lot of really stupid things. This doesn't teach anybody anything.

As said before....... EVER (yes, EVERY) school does the same things. Any school that says they don't is lying, and any fan that doesn't believe their school is doing it is naive.

BroncoWave
06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Its absolutely stupid. They absolutely DESTROYED Oklahoma in that game. Anyone really going to argue they did NOT win that National Championship after 7 years? Dumbest thing I've ever seen the NCAA do, and they've done a lot of really stupid things. This doesn't teach anybody anything.

As said before....... EVER (yes, EVERY) school does the same things. Any school that says they don't is lying, and any fan that doesn't believe their school is doing it is naive.

The BCS did this, not the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't run the BCS.

BroncoNut
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Mo, welcome back again, and it's nice to see that you are acting appropriately by starting threads like this. I am proud of you.

it's too bad for USC and Coach Pete Carrol who I believe was the coach at the time. Is this when Reggie Bush was playing for them? If I am wrong, don't flame me, I didn't read the article, but seems I heard that RB's Heismann was revoked. Is this related?

BroncoWave
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Mo, welcome back again, and it's nice to see that you are acting appropriately by starting threads like this. I am proud of you.

it's too bad for USC and Coach Pete Carrol who I believe was the coach at the time. Is this when Reggie Bush was playing for them? If I am wrong, don't flame me, I didn't read the article, but seems I heard that RB's Heismann was revoked. Is this related?

Yep, Bush won the Heisman and USC won the championship in 04. Both have now been stripped.

Davii
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Well deserved. "Everyone else is doing it" is no defense, and i'll bet that teams and players at least slow the pace of rule breaking because of this. There must be consequences for breaking the rules, and this is an appropriate one.

Now, can the NFL void the Patriots Super Bowl against the Rams?

Ravage!!!
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
The BCS did this, not the NCAA. The NCAA doesn't run the BCS.

Uhhuh. Do you really believe this?

BroncoWave
06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Uhhuh. Do you really believe this?

The BCS and NCAA are separate entities. You can not believe it if you'd like but you would be wrong. The NCAA doesn't officially recognize national champions in college football. If the BCS had wanted to keep USC as champs there's nothing the NCAA could have done about it.

Ravage!!!
06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't think its an appropriate one, because nothing is really stripped. Can Oklahoma really try and brag about being the National Champions that year when they absolutely SLAUGHTERED on the field? No. Do you think this is going to make schools stop doing what they have always done to have the best athletes on the field.... in a multi-multi-multi billion dollar business? No way.

There used to be jokes about how the Archie Griffin's family all of a sudden had new jobs, and new houses, and this was back in the mid '70s. You think things have changed since then? Think things are going to change now?

Ravage!!!
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
The BCS and NCAA are separate entities. You can not believe it if you'd like but you would be wrong. The NCAA doesn't officially recognize national champions in college football. If the BCS had wanted to keep USC as champs there's nothing the NCAA could have done about it.

You aren't really hearing what I'm saying. I don't care if they are "officially" different or not. The BCS is the one that sets up the bowl games, the BCS is the one that determines who goes where and which teams have a chance at being recognized for a National Championship. You also see where teams have changed conferences so that they may have a chance at a national championship.. through the BCS.

If you want to believe that the NCAA doesn't control the BCS, fine. I'm just not going to bury my head and cover my eyes and not see whats right in front of me.

BroncoWave
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
You aren't really hearing what I'm saying. I don't care if they are "officially" different or not. The BCS is the one that sets up the bowl games, the BCS is the one that determines who goes where and which teams have a chance at being recognized for a National Championship. You also see where teams have changed conferences so that they may have a chance at a national championship.. through the BCS.

If you want to believe that the NCAA doesn't control the BCS, fine. I'm just not going to bury my head and cover my eyes and not see whats right in front of me.

Don't worry, since it's actually true I will continue to believe it.

FanInAZ
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Can Oklahoma really try and brag about being the National Champions that year when they absolutely SLAUGHTERED on the field?

Should anyone be bragging about being the National Champions that year when 4 teams finished the regular season undefeated, but 2 of them were denied the opportunity to compete in a championship game because of the results of statistical analysis done by some computer? Especially when both of those other teams won their respective bowl game?

Bottom line, I don't care what the BCS does because it’s a sham. However, I do like the fact that a school whose reputation enables them to "stack the deck" every year is having something not go their way.