PDA

View Full Version : Scouting the Broncos: Safeties

NorCalBronco7
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
As a defensive back, Denver Broncos safety Renaldo Hill has seen it all.

By all, what I mean isn’t limited to the length of his career, although that is moving into its 11th year. Hill has seen the change in the modern game to ever-increasingly pass-oriented offenses which use more of the short pass as a staple of their approach. That movement (although some teams still predominatly use the longer, Coryell-type offensive passing strategy) has led to a need for the safeties - both strong and free safeties - to have coverage skills as well as to be strong hitters. The lines between the strong and the free safety are becoming blurred, as compared to the historical versions of those positions. Hill is a good example, since he began his career in 2001 as a cornerback with the Arizona Cardinals before sliding back to safety, where he’s quietly been highly effective ever since. Brian Dawkins has said that he and Hill tend to take turns quarterbacking the defense. Both are excellent at reading the offense and calling the responses....

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/scouting-the-broncos-safeties

topscribe
06-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks, NorCal. You cited a great site. I go there often. :beer:

-----

LTC Pain
06-06-2011, 05:55 PM
As a defensive back, Denver Broncos safety Renaldo Hill has seen it all.

By all, what I mean isn’t limited to the length of his career, although that is moving into its 11th year. Hill has seen the change in the modern game to ever-increasingly pass-oriented offenses which use more of the short pass as a staple of their approach. That movement (although some teams still predominatly use the longer, Coryell-type offensive passing strategy) has led to a need for the safeties - both strong and free safeties - to have coverage skills as well as to be strong hitters. The lines between the strong and the free safety are becoming blurred, as compared to the historical versions of those positions. Hill is a good example, since he began his career in 2001 as a cornerback with the Arizona Cardinals before sliding back to safety, where he’s quietly been highly effective ever since. Brian Dawkins has said that he and Hill tend to take turns quarterbacking the defense. Both are excellent at reading the offense and calling the responses....

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/scouting-the-broncos-safeties

Thanks NorCalBronco! Never heard of that site until this post.

Dzone
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Great article. Thanks.

gobroncsnv
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Well, the hitting is important at this position, but MAKING the tackle is more important than making the top 10 plays of the week. Was encouraging to hear of Moore's abilities in that department. The last line of defense needs to be able to make stops... the rest is gravy.

but a PS is well in order on this thread... darn good article, thanks for bringing it aboard.

NorCalBronco7
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Heres a really good article on Rahim Moore.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncography-rahim-moore

muse
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, the hitting is important at this position, but MAKING the tackle is more important than making the top 10 plays of the week. Was encouraging to hear of Moore's abilities in that department. The last line of defense needs to be able to make stops... the rest is gravy.

but a PS is well in order on this thread... darn good article, thanks for bringing it aboard.

Everything I've read about Moore suggests that he is not a good tackler. Wraps up well but frequently takes bad angles. Obviously it's coachable, but I'd definitely not be comfortable with him as the last line of defence. I still think McBath starts there this year. He's had a lot if injuries, but they have all been unrelated (nothing chronic - Haloti Ngata would crush anyone's ankle)...him and Moore are very similar, except Darcel has the experience edge.

Ravage!!!
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Heres a really good article on Rahim Moore.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncography-rahim-moore

Good article. I'm really really hoping for this kid. I've been skeptical of him from the beginning, and I think that was mainly due to his build. But seems the more I read on him, the more I like him.

NorCalBronco7
06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Everything I've read about Moore suggests that he is not a good tackler. Wraps up well but frequently takes bad angles. Obviously it's coachable, but I'd definitely not be comfortable with him as the last line of defence. I still think McBath starts there this year. He's had a lot if injuries, but they have all been unrelated (nothing chronic - Haloti Ngata would crush anyone's ankle)...him and Moore are very similar, except Darcel has the experience edge.

Moore had 49 tackles and 10 picks his sophmore year then he moved to strong and played more on the line racking up 77 tackles but only one pick.

His build is slim but from all the tape Ive seen on Moore he is a very good tackler with sound technique.

Good article. I'm really really hoping for this kid. I've been skeptical of him from the beginning, and I think that was mainly due to his build. But seems the more I read on him, the more I like him.

Your welcome. Yeah Im not thrilled with his build either, but as long as he can be a realible tackler like he proved his junior year then I think he will be ok. He does everything you want a FS to do.

NightTerror218
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I could see Dawkins/Hill and Cox/Bailey starting and then Moore replacing one of them. I could see Carter/McBath/Bruton getting time in game as Dawkins wears down in a game to give him a break. And then those 3 fighting for starting position after Dawkins contract expires to start with Moore. But those 3 will do well on special teams.

rcsodak
06-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Q will represent!

NorCalBronco7
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I could see Dawkins/Hill and Cox/Bailey starting and then Moore replacing one of them. I could see Carter/McBath/Bruton getting time in game as Dawkins wears down in a game to give him a break. And then those 3 fighting for starting position after Dawkins contract expires to start with Moore. But those 3 will do well on special teams.

I think Moore starts the season at FS and Dawkins at strong. Bruton isnt anything more than a special teams player from what Ive seen.

NightTerror218
06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I think Moore starts the season at FS and Dawkins at strong. Bruton isnt anything more than a special teams player from what Ive seen.

I could see Hill starting since there is a lack of an offseason. But Moore starting soon into the season. Question is do we cut Hill or trade? and then what about the other non name safeties we have?