PDA

View Full Version : What Will We Get Out of Gordon

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I find Gordon's ascent to the top of depth chart very interesting. It wasn't more than just a couple of months ago I was saying this guy destined to be released. I sure hope Gordon can be the kind defensive tackle that we need.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/aug/23/pro-football-former-practice-squad-player-now-in/

Former Broncos practice squad player now in starting role
Gordon made Warren expendable for Broncos
Associated Press
Thursday, August 23, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — It wasn't just the money or the motivation that led to Gerard Warren's departure from Denver.

Warren failed to fit into Jim Bates' new defensive scheme and found himself outplayed by a former apprentice, Amon Gordon, a third-year pro who played on the Broncos' practice squad last year after he was claimed off waivers from Cleveland.

Share your video, photos and news tips.
"One of the reasons why we were able to trade Gerard is we had a young guy who stepped up and played pretty consistently for us" throughout the offseason workouts and training camp, coach Mike Shanahan said.

So, Warren is in Oakland trying to revive his career, and Gordon is in Denver trying to get his career off the ground.

Gordon, who has started alongside Sam Adams in the Broncos' preseason games, actually has mixed feelings about Warren's departure.

While it presents him with a terrific opportunity to start, it also separates him from his mentor.

Gordon spent his rookie season in Cleveland, where Warren took him under hiswing before being traded to the Broncos in 2005.

"I definitely have some tools that he's helped me with in my arsenal, no question," said Gordon, who followed Warren to Denver a year later. "And even more than that, it's how to prepare yourself as a pro, how do you gain an advantage, how do you gain a leg up on your opponent? And that's a really big part of this game, the mental side, preparation.

"Once I got a hold of that and grasped the concepts of formations and offensive shifts, then I really felt like I had a leg up and more confidence just playing the game. You understand the game, being a student of the game."

And Warren was a heck of a teacher.

"Gerard, he really helped me out a lot," Gordon said. "He always did his best to say, 'Hey, when you're in there, this is what it's going to look like,' and just passing down those things to where I could develop as a player."

Gordon also benefited from familiarity when he arrived to Denver, where he joined Ebenezer Ekuban, Michael Myers, Kenard Lang, Courtney Brown and Warren, former linemates in Cleveland collectively known as the "Browncos."

"It really helps when you come to a completely different situation and you have friendly guys there, so you kind of get to add to what was taking place before, you don't have to start all over again," Gordon said. With Myers, Brown and Warren all gone and Ekuban going on injured reserve this week with a ruptured Achilles' tendon, Lang and Gordon are the only holdovers.

"It is tough, those are guys I've sweated and bled with," Gordon said. "And Gerard and Ebenezer, both of them have always been very receptive and open. They're not full of themselves, they're professionals. I came in as a rookie and it could have gone either way. But there was no hazing or any of that."

A year ago it seemed far-fetched that Gordon would supplant Warren. Gordon was headed to the practice squad and Warren had just signed a six-year, $36 million contract extension.

But injuries to both big toes led to an unproductive season for Warren, who didn't regain his strength and stamina very fast and ended up renegotiating his contract in the offseason. When Bates replaced Larry Coyer as defensive coordinator, Warren quickly fell out of favor and ended up on the trading block.

Gordon, on the other hand, has turned out to be a perfect fit for Bates' scheme, which requires the interior linemen to hold the point of attack rather than shooting through a gap and pressuring the passer.

"I took a while for me to figure out, hey this is football. You're lining up and smacking the guy across from you," Gordon said. "That's it, (I'm) just being the hammer in this scheme."

SR
08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Good read. Thanks.

broncosinindy
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I hope he pans out. one less concern next year. Seems he has a positive attitude. hope he has the tenacity to go along with it. I also love guys that step up like him out of no where they are usually Extremely team oriented

Skinny
08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
"I took a while for me to figure out, hey this is football. You're lining up and smacking the guy across from you," Gordon said. "That's it, (I'm) just being the hammer in this scheme."Seems sometimes guys prosper in diffrent schemes where as they would'nt in others. This one seems to suit him well.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
I hope he pans out. one less concern next year. Seems he has a positive attitude. hope he has the tenacity to go along with it. I also love guys that step up like him out of no where they are usually Extremely team oriented

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if Gordon pans out.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Bates knows his DL and is known for that.

If he sees something in Gordon and feels he is the man, then I trust him.

Lord knows he has had plenty of "talent" to choose from.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Bates knows his DL and is known for that.

If he sees something in Gordon and feels he is the man, then I trust him.

Lord knows he has had plenty of "talent" to choose from.

I agree Bates has the resume to warrant trusting his judgement. If he thinks Gordon can do the job it sounds good to me.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree Bates has the resume to warrant trusting his judgement. If he thinks Gordon can do the job it sounds good to me.

If the D keeps up its current act though, look for the next "Fire Bates" thread....lol.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I don't think it would be hard for a guy like Gordon to make a little mark for himself on the team. I really don't think he's a long term answer and I do believe we'll add another youngster on the interior next year, but if he can have a Mario Fatefehi type impact here that's fine. I don't think we should expect too much out of a late-round, practice squad drifter like Gordon.

TXBRONC
08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't think it would be hard for a guy like Gordon to make a little mark for himself on the team. I really don't think he's a long term answer and I do believe we'll add another youngster on the interior next year, but if he can have a Mario Fatefehi type impact here that's fine. I don't think we should expect too much out of a late-round, practice squad drifter like Gordon.

The only expectations I have of Gordon is that he be a solid and consistent performer.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Well in a Bates style D, all he needs to do is cram up the middle so maybe he is that guy.

I wonder why Warren couldn't be that guy? Sometimes I wonder if "personality" gets in teh way of "production" when it comes to players and coaches.

Not to say Warren always produced, but when he wanted to he did...ie: two years ago. But once he got the Big Money, he stopped.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Well in a Bates style D, all he needs to do is cram up the middle so maybe he is that guy.

This is a half truth. I once thought that this was a true two-gap defense, but Javalon provided a real excellent article that really helped clear my mind. In reality it comes down to semantics, but there are one-gap responsibilities, but the defensive tackles have to have the ability to take up multiple guys in certain circumstances. It's not a true one or two gap responsibility system all the way, it's really hybrid.

I wonder why Warren couldn't be that guy? Sometimes I wonder if "personality" gets in teh way of "production" when it comes to players and coaches.

I have spoke to multiple people (not within the Broncos, but respected posters on other sites, and a few scouts who have previously worked with other teams, interestingly enough one for the Browns) who maintain that Warren has always had a piss poor attitude towards playing the position. He was once regarded as the next Warren Sapp, but his poor outlook on playing the position, and not doing what is asked of him has been his detriment his whole career. Like Ashley Lelie, he had All-Pro potential but settled for the sideshow he became. It's really unfortunate. He along with many other players just keep piling up onto the list of phenomenal athletes who lack the mental skills to succeed in the NFL.

Not to say Warren always produced, but when he wanted to he did...ie: two years ago. But once he got the Big Money, he stopped.

You're absoultely right on this. In the Seahawks game where he accidently hurt Al Wilson, he went on a tear after that. Motivated through remorse. In the end, that didn't matter. Money wasn't enough for Warren, nothing will ever be enough for Warren. He's a career underachiever and Shanahan and friends gave him the proverbial middle finger by shipping him to Oakland.

There are few Broncos I sincerely dislike, but he was one of them.

topscribe
08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Money wasn't enough for Warren, nothing will ever be enough for Warren. He's a career underachiever and Shanahan and friends gave him the proverbial middle finger by shipping him to Oakland.

There are few Broncos I sincerely dislike, but he was one of them.
You and me both. Their proverbial action simply replicated mine. When a
player turns out simply not good enough but has played his butt off, I can
still admire him. But when it is an attitude problem, I feel betrayed, the way
I advocated for him.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out for Warren at Oakland. But I
won't be surprised if they end up turning him out.

-----