PDA

View Full Version : We are not Mania - We are not BroncosFreak -- We ARE BroncosForums -- It's your community, you define it -- We must rember...

Tned
10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I think it is time to address a few things.

First, this is not Mania (Broncoscountry), it is not Broncosfreak and it is not the Orangemane. This is Broncosforums, and we are going to have to come to grips with that fact. We all bring some ideas and baggage from our former forums, but we also all sometimes get into a rut of thinking the way it was on our ‘old’ message board home, was the ‘best’ way.

The last 24+ hours has shown there is still some resentment that exists between the various groups that came originally from different online communities. It’s time to move on and focus on this community. While it is ok to have pride in our former (and in some cases current, if we are posting on more than one message board) Broncos’ message boards, it doesn’t mean that we have to be closed to any ideas that don’t coincide with how it was done on those old boards. We should all be open minded and be willing to listen to ideas, so that we can continue to make this the best Broncos community on the web.

Before getting further into that, let me address a couple things first.

Let me just get something out on the table, so there is no more subtle slams or back door recruiting of posters. For those that aren’t familiar with Broncos Forums, most initial members came from bronocmania/Broncos Country (the official Broncos site) and then about four months later, the owner of one of the major Broncos message boards, broncosfreak.com decided that he was changing his site format and would no longer have a message board. A couple people (an admin and a mod I think) were given the option of continuing the message board (vBulletin, like this) and they decided to instead go another route, creating a windows based message board named thebronconation, which didn’t receive much support from the members of broncosfreak (affectionately referred to as the Freaks).

So, most of the active Freaks moved here, around the first of the year. About eight or so months after thebronconation started (last month I think), their membership was very low and they hadn’t convinced the former Freaks to move to thebronconation, so they were able to obtain a two year old version of the Broncosfreak.com vBulletin database, and switched to the more familiar setup and renamed the site to Broncosfreaks.com (with an S at the end), hoping to get the Freaks back that refused to move over back when Broncosfreak shut down.

Recently, there have been some posts made by members of that site taking shots at us on here, and from what I am told, behind the scenes efforts to get members to leave here and move over to the BroncosFreaks.com. Apparently, in an effort to discredit BroncosForums so posters would leave here and move to their site.

While I don’t appreciate the posts and threads that have occurred trying to knock OUR community and members, I do support ALL Broncos sites, so rather than having all the subtle slams and behind the scenes recruiting, let’s just put it out there for everyone.

Harkov and Canuck something (I think they are different people) who were mods or admins at the old broncosfreak run another Broncos message board, called http://www.Broncosfreaks.com. They now have it running vBulletin based on a two year old backup of the old Broncosfreak.com website. In my mind, the only thing that matters is that we Broncos’ fans keep the online Broncos communities alive and well. So, if you aren’t happy here and feel we are not the site for you, then by all means check their site out. I would rather simply promote their site myself, then to have it being done in a backhanded way, by disrupting Town Hall Discussions, or the back door recruiting I have been told about.

I take a lot of pride in what WE have built here, but if some people would be happier elsewhere (or to post on multiple boards), then there is no hard feelings. You should be on the Broncos' board that you will enjoy the most. To be honest, I keep dreading the day I am going to have to lay out even more money for a server upgrade (we are still in good shape and can grow quite a bit), but the day will come, so if these guys would do a better job of recruiting you away, it will be that much longer before I have to up the cash outlay from $150+ a month, to something north of $200. :D

With that out of the way, for those that aren’t familiar with BroncosForums history or those that have forgotten, I started this message board at the request of some people dissatisfied with how things were going on at Broncos Country/broncomania. I agreed to create the message board and pay the bills, but stated that even though I would be paying the bills, I would not create a message board and run it in a manner traditionally done by owners or admins. I stated that I would not make unilateral decisions regarding rules, features, changes, etc. Therefore, along with Topscribe, Carol, Jrwiz and some others that helped start the message board, we asked some other members to form an Advisory Board to make decisions about the forums future (such as rules), but that their job was to not implement their personal views and opinions, but represent what the community wanted. The Town Hall discussions were the primary manner of getting input from the members of the message board, and then the advisory board would discuss and vote on issues.

We ran the message board with the advisory board until around the first of the year (maybe it was Jan/Feb time frame, but the first four or five months), but in the end we ended that method of making decisions, because it was an extra layer of discussion and work, vs. just taking the input from the Town Hall Discussions and then making the decision, so that is how I have been running the message board since the advisory board has been disbanded.

Both when the advisory board was in place and now, I have maintained my belief that an online community should not have a single person making unilateral decisions, even if that person is paying the bills. The only way for it to be a ‘community’ is for the members of that community to be heavily involved in how it is formed, run and changes over time.

This site has changed a lot from the beginning. The MHS system didn’t exist day one, and took many discussions before being implemented. The same with the Hi Five system, which was asked for by the former Freaks, and though there were some contentious Town Hall Discussions, we eventually did it on a trial basis in a single forum, and then implemented it across the whole message board. The same is true for the Lounge, which was put in place, because the message board members were split on whether or not the message board should be G/PG centric, or more adult orientated. The solution, was both. More adult in the Lounge, more PG elsewhere. There are many other examples of changes that were implemented after Town Hall Discussions, some based on ideas from former mania members and some from former Freaks.

Since the day I agreed to start Broncosforums, and still today, I am committed to this approach.

The way this is accomplished is through Town Hall Discussions. When an issue needs to be discussed, whether it is an issue I feel needs to be addressed, or the mods raise an issue or a member of this message board raises an issue, we create a Town Hall Discussion and ask all forum members to take the time to post their input in the discussion. The Town Hall threads can run anywhere from a week to several weeks, depending on how the discussion is going, and how quickly members provide input. Ideally, 100% of active members would respond and provide their input, but unfortunately that never happens. So, instead, I monitor it and continue to remind people about the thread, and make the decision to end the discussion, when it is obvious it has petered out.

Once that occurs, I read every post, and tally where each person stands on the issue. Based on that input, I might make a more definitive proposal for further discussion, or implement something that was talked about, or decide (based on the feedback) that the original idea/proposal did not have enough support, so it is set aside and not implemented.

As to tallying the input. Rarely, will a simple majority be enough to implement a change. In general, the goal is only to make forum changes if the community at large (vast majority / ~80% or so) supports the change. The reason for this is that in many cases, if there is an issue that has 53% for and 47% against, it is simply too divided a vote to make a change. This is especially true of controversial subjects where the negative produced by going against the wishes of the 47% against the proposal can in no way be outweighed by the 53% that will be happy. In that case, the status quo is maintained. In the cases where it is a non-controversial issue, such as changing the forum banner, then a simple majority would be acceptable.

This approach, which involves input and discussion, can get a little heated at times, but it is important to remember that EVERYONE should have a right to provide their input, and that they shouldn’t be attacked or belittled for their opinions.

I will admit that this method of making decisions can border on being painful at times, but as I committed on day one of starting BroncosForums.com, I will not change to making unilateral decisions as to the running of this message board, even if it would make my life far, far easier.

So, for those that are newer members to Broncosforums, I encourage you to take part in the ‘process’ and be involved in how Broncosforums is run. For those that have been here for a while, I encourage you to focus less on how things ‘used to be’ elsewhere, and focus more on what is best for BroncosForums, for OUR community and be open minded to ideas that people propose, even if it isn’t what we are used to. Change isn’t always bad, and it isn’t always good, but there is NO harm in bing open minded and considering change.

LordTrychon
10-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Sticky? :D

Tned
10-30-2008, 11:26 PM
No, I'm a little sweaty after posting that Novella, but not sticky ;)

Tned
10-30-2008, 11:39 PM
i was just asked if I am asking the freaks to leave. Clearly, I have not clearly made my point. The short answer is no.

The longer answer (you knew there would be one, but since I am now on my mini-laptop in the bedroom, it will be shorter) is that I don't think of any specific members as former freaks or former mania's. In some cases, I don't even know where people have come from.

I look at us all as part of BroncosForums.

However, as I said, over the last 24 hours or so, old tension between those that came from the two message boards have resurfaced, and I am asking everyone to be open minded when Town Hall discussions come up, rather than dig up any old animosity from when the forums merged.

Further, rather than continuing to have a couple posters disrupt Town Hall discussions with the SOLE purpose of attacking BF, and then behind the scenes suggesting people check out Broncosfreaks, I am doing their promotion for them.

I believe in transparency. If a couple people who are upset with BF or miss the old Broncosfreak, want people to leave here and move to broncosfreaks, rather than spamming our town hall threads with one liners and recruiting behind the scenes, I just cut to the chase and posted the link, so people can decide for themselves.

My hope is that NOBODY leaves here, including HolyDiver, but for those that want to, then no hard feelings. Same for those that want to post on both, or on here and mania or here and the Mane.

We are Broncos fans first.

I would just prefer we are open and honest. If some Broncosfreaks members want to recruit from here, I just helped them, so they can stop disrupting our attempt to make this a better message board.

Beyond that, the bigger message I am trying to send is that we need to all be OPEN to new ideas. Just because neg rep didn't work on Mania, doesn't mean the former mania people should be closed to any discussion about it, just because rep used to be tracked on the Freak and isn't here, doesn't mean the only 'right' approach is to start tracking points.

If everyone would focus more on being open to ideas and suggestions, even if they are outside our 'comfort zone' we will be able to have better Town Hall discussions if we are all willing to listen to others ideas and are truly OPEN to considering them.

Broncolingus
10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
Well said, Tned...

Lonestar
10-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Tned has put more time on this forum than anyone..

Takes a lot of static because we are not someone else..

I have said many times in moderation threads, I do not want to be the biggest but the best and if that means losing a few trouble makers OK...

The Mane is pretty liberal and some their make fun of us because lots of folks here believe in God and are pretty conservative.. I say what is wrong with that?..

Some say we are pretty old. What is wrong with having a mature conversation?

We are what we are a pretty damned good forum with alot of great posters for the most part, perhaps not as raucous as Mane, perhaps not as youthful as Mania and certainly not as small as freaks/nation..

Like us for what we are.. Tell your friend let them know about us we for the most part are not mean spirited and all Bronco fans in our hearts.. Except for a few great fans of other teams.. Who are actually closet Bronco fans but won't admit it..

sneakers
10-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Holy Jeepers Tnerd, that almost fit the length requirements for a novel....but a good history lesson of the site :happy:

Tned
10-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Holy Jeepers Tnerd, that almost fit the length requirements for a novel....but a good history lesson of the site :happy:

I was very proud of my self for the bevity of that post. :)

claymore
10-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Geez, I have to print this out and wait till I have to take a deuce. That is a looooong post Tned.

Zweems56
10-31-2008, 07:17 AM
So who was whining that this isn't the freak? The freak died. The new one isn't the old one. Let it be.

Tned
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Geez, I have to print this out and wait till I have to take a deuce. That is a looooong post Tned.

It's one of my shorter ones. Because I don't have time to post much anymore, I don't make my long ones. On mania, my football posts often had to be broken into two parts, because the limit on the length of a post! :lol:

I'll summarize.

The former freaks and former mania folks need to get past thinking there old forum was the 'best' and everything on Broncosforums should be like either mania or the original Broncosfreak.com, depending on where you came from.

It's crazy when something like a thread about whether or not to have neg rep, should bring up what 'should' be long-dead tensions from when the forums merged back around the first of the year.

The Town Hall Discussions are how we make decisions here -- since I don't make unilateral decisions, in terms of rules, new features, etc -- changes are only made if the community at large (vast majority) want a change -- So, we need everyone to be OPEN to new ideas and willing to discuss them, rather than immediately discounting an idea, because it wasn't the way it was done on 'your' (not you Claymore, but the general 'you') old message board. The opposite is also true, just because something was done a certain way on 'your' old message board, doesn't mean you should get pissed if people don't immediately or ever embrace it here.

This isn't mania, it isn't broncosfreak, IT IS BroncosForums. We need to remember that, and all be open to discussing new ideas, whether they originated at an old forum, or are new ideas.

Also, the other point, rather than the person that is trying to disrupt Town Hall discussions and take other actions to try and get people to Broncosfreaks.com, I just hopefully took his motivation away, by providing a link to Broncosfreaks.com and suggesting that anyone that isn't happy here, check it out.

As I said, I hope nobody leaves BroncosForums, but I want people to CHOOSE to stay here, rather than not knowing there are other options. If people feel broncosfreaks is a better fit for them, then they should post there. Same with the Orangemane.com.

I'm just more of a talk straight, no BS kind of guy. If you want people to leave here and go to Broncosfreaks, man up and say it, don't be passive/aggressive about it. There are a lot of Broncos fans and its a big Internet, I would rather co-exist with other Broncos' fan sites, than to have animosities created through passive/aggressive attack and recruit bullshit tactics that someone (not the Broncosfreaks owner) is doing.

Anyway, that wasn't exactly short, but that was a summary.

Tned
10-31-2008, 07:50 AM
It's one of my shorter ones. Because I don't have time to post much anymore, I don't make my long ones. On mania, my football posts often had to be broken into two parts, because the limit on the length of a post! :lol:

I'll summarize.

The former freaks and former mania folks need to get past thinking there old forum was the 'best' and everything on Broncosforums should be like either mania or the original Broncosfreak.com, depending on where you came from.

It's crazy when something like a thread about whether or not to have neg rep, should bring up what 'should' be long-dead tensions from when the forums merged back around the first of the year.

The Town Hall Discussions are how we make decisions here -- since I don't make unilateral decisions, in terms of rules, new features, etc -- changes are only made if the community at large (vast majority) want a change -- So, we need everyone to be OPEN to new ideas and willing to discuss them, rather than immediately discounting an idea, because it wasn't the way it was done on 'your' (not you Claymore, but the general 'you') old message board. The opposite is also true, just because something was done a certain way on 'your' old message board, doesn't mean you should get pissed if people don't immediately or ever embrace it here.

This isn't mania, it isn't broncosfreak, IT IS BroncosForums. We need to remember that, and all be open to discussing new ideas, whether they originated at an old forum, or are new ideas.

Also, the other point, rather than the person that is trying to disrupt Town Hall discussions and take other actions to try and get people to Broncosfreaks.com, I just hopefully took his motivation away, by providing a link to Broncosfreaks.com and suggesting that anyone that isn't happy here, check it out.

As I said, I hope nobody leaves BroncosForums, but I want people to CHOOSE to stay here, rather than not knowing there are other options. If people feel broncosfreaks is a better fit for them, then they should post there. Same with the Orangemane.com.

I'm just more of a talk straight, no BS kind of guy. If you want people to leave here and go to Broncosfreaks, man up and say it, don't be passive/aggressive about it. There are a lot of Broncos fans and its a big internet, I would rather co-exist with other Broncos' fan sites, than to have animosities created through passive/aggressive attack and recruit bullshit tactics that someone (not the Broncosfreaks owner) is doing.

If that was still too long, here is the ultra short version:

We have been at this for 14 months, we have come a LONG way, we still only make changes when the vast majority of members state they want something via Town Hall discussions. The freaks merged in 11 months ago. Let's get over any animosity between the groups that occurred nearly a year ago, and only remains between a few posters.

Let's all get along -- everyone on this message board -- all the various Broncos message boards.

[a chorus of kumbaya is heard in the background...]

Rex
10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Tned,
Clay will give you a shoulder rub after all that typing.

claymore
10-31-2008, 07:54 AM

I'll summarize.

I'm just more of a talk straight, no BS kind of guy. If you want people to leave here and go to Broncosfreaks, man up and say it, don't be passive/aggressive about it. There are a lot of Broncos fans and its a big Internet, I would rather co-exist with other Broncos' fan sites, than to have animosities created through passive/aggressive attack and recruit bullshit tactics that someone (not the Broncosfreaks owner) is doing.

I think we have been successful in creating our own Identity. Regardless of that some posters may leave, but I think more have joined because of the identity we have now.

I will post sparingly on Harkovs new site, but just to harras HD, or talk smack about Cicero.

Tned
10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
I think we have been successful in creating our own Identity. Regardless of that some posters may leave, but I think more have joined because of the identity we have now.

I agree, and that was the point of my longwinded post (I should have you written a one liner that sums it up, which I just quoted -- good job).

We ARE Marshall...

Errr, caught up in a movie moment.

We are Broncosforums. For the vast majority of us, we have been part of Broncosforums for 9-14 months, and we shouldn't still have 'tension' in Town Hall discussions based on our former homes.

You are correct, we have our own identity, and over time, we need to keep maintaining our own identity, whether that means keeping things the same, or making changes over time, but it should be based on what WE want, not based on what was or wasn't done on a previous message board.

claymore
10-31-2008, 08:09 AM
I agree, and that was the point of my longwinded post (I should have you written a one liner that sums it up, which I just quoted -- good job).

We ARE Marshall...

We are Broncosforums. For the vast majority of us, we have been part of Broncosforums for 9-14 months, and we shouldn't still have 'tension' in Town Hall discussions based on our former homes.

You are correct, we have our own identity, and over time, we need to keep maintaining our own identity, whether that means keeping things the same, or making changes over time, but it should be based on what WE want, not based on what was or wasn't done on a previous message board.

I have a feeling this is the message board MB loses his virginity on.

Rex
10-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I have a feeling this is the message board MB loses his virginity on.

Does this message board have magical powers?

claymore
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Does this message board have magical powers?

It might, I noticed in Joe's most recent pic, his hair was growing back a little. It looked kinda like a dirty tennis ball, but its a start. :hope:

Rex
10-31-2008, 08:19 AM
It might, I noticed in Joe's most recent pic, his hair was growing back a little. It looked kinda like a dirty tennis ball, but its a start. :hope:

Yeah, but growing hair is one thing. Mo getting some is a whole other animal Clay.

claymore
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, but growing hair is one thing. Mo getting some is a whole other animal Clay.

We always have hope. I had an eye lash on my cheek last night, and My daughter grabbed it and told me to make a wish on it.

I cant say what the wish was. Its a surprise.

BroncoJoe
10-31-2008, 08:23 AM

I didn't post a picture of my back... :confused:

claymore
10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
I didn't post a picture of my back... :confused:

I bet your all muscular and defined. Bald guys are usually in great shape.

Rex
10-31-2008, 08:32 AM
We always have hope. I had an eye lash on my cheek last night, and My daughter grabbed it and told me to make a wish on it.

I cant say what the wish was. Its a surprise.

A 12 pack and a nice set of hangers in your face?

claymore
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
A 12 pack and a nice set of hangers in your face?

If there was a cheesburger somewhere in that wish, that would be an awesome wish.,

frauschieze
10-31-2008, 10:12 AM
We ARE Marshall...

I hate Marshall almost as much as I hate Randy Moss. I resent the comparison, even in jest. :tsk:

Dortoh
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
So there is some behind the scenes fighting going on huh. I am just lucky I guess because everyone loves them some Dortoh.

Buff
10-31-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm a one-forum kind of guy...

So, for better or for worse, I won't be going anywhere. Nor will I participate in the "in-fighting" between sites.

(Unless they steal Frau or GEM, in which case there would be a full-fledged forum battle to the death)

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I think it is time to address a few things.

First, this is not Mania (Broncoscountry), it is not Broncosfreak and it is not the Orangemane. This is Broncosforums, and we are going to have to come to grips with that fact. We all bring some ideas and baggage from our former forums, but we also all sometimes get into a rut of thinking the way it was on our ‘old’ message board home, was the ‘best’ way.

The last 24+ hours has shown there is still some resentment that exists between the various groups that came originally from different online communities. It’s time to move on and focus on this community. While it is ok to have pride in our former (and in some cases current, if we are posting on more than one message board) Broncos’ message boards, it doesn’t mean that we have to be closed to any ideas that don’t coincide with how it was done on those old boards. We should all be open minded and be willing to listen to ideas, so that we can continue to make this the best Broncos community on the web.

Before getting further into that, let me address a couple things first.

Let me just get something out on the table, so there is no more subtle slams or back door recruiting of posters. For those that aren’t familiar with Broncos Forums, most initial members came from bronocmania/Broncos Country (the official Broncos site) and then about four months later, the owner of one of the major Broncos message boards, broncosfreak.com decided that he was changing his site format and would no longer have a message board. A couple people (an admin and a mod I think) were given the option of continuing the message board (vBulletin, like this) and they decided to instead go another route, creating a windows based message board named thebronconation, which didn’t receive much support from the members of broncosfreak (affectionately referred to as the Freaks).

So, most of the active Freaks moved here, around the first of the year. About eight or so months after thebronconation started (last month I think), their membership was very low and they hadn’t convinced the former Freaks to move to thebronconation, so they were able to obtain a two year old version of the Broncosfreak.com vBulletin database, and switched to the more familiar setup and renamed the site to Broncosfreaks.com (with an S at the end), hoping to get the Freaks back that refused to move over back when Broncosfreak shut down.

Recently, there have been some posts made by members of that site taking shots at us on here, and from what I am told, behind the scenes efforts to get members to leave here and move over to the BroncosFreaks.com. Apparently, in an effort to discredit BroncosForums so posters would leave here and move to their site.

While I don’t appreciate the posts and threads that have occurred trying to knock OUR community and members, I do support ALL Broncos sites, so rather than having all the subtle slams and behind the scenes recruiting, let’s just put it out there for everyone.

Harkov and Canuck something (I think they are different people) who were mods or admins at the old broncosfreak run another Broncos message board, called http://www.Broncosfreaks.com. They now have it running vBulletin based on a two year old backup of the old Broncosfreak.com website. In my mind, the only thing that matters is that we Broncos’ fans keep the online Broncos communities alive and well. So, if you aren’t happy here and feel we are not the site for you, then by all means check their site out. I would rather simply promote their site myself, then to have it being done in a backhanded way, by disrupting Town Hall Discussions, or the back door recruiting I have been told about.

I take a lot of pride in what WE have built here, but if some people would be happier elsewhere (or to post on multiple boards), then there is no hard feelings. You should be on the Broncos' board that you will enjoy the most. To be honest, I keep dreading the day I am going to have to lay out even more money for a server upgrade (we are still in good shape and can grow quite a bit), but the day will come, so if these guys would do a better job of recruiting you away, it will be that much longer before I have to up the cash outlay from $150+ a month, to something north of $200. :D

With that out of the way, for those that aren’t familiar with BroncosForums history or those that have forgotten, I started this message board at the request of some people dissatisfied with how things were going on at Broncos Country/broncomania. I agreed to create the message board and pay the bills, but stated that even though I would be paying the bills, I would not create a message board and run it in a manner traditionally done by owners or admins. I stated that I would not make unilateral decisions regarding rules, features, changes, etc. Therefore, along with Topscribe, Carol, Jrwiz and some others that helped start the message board, we asked some other members to form an Advisory Board to make decisions about the forums future (such as rules), but that their job was to not implement their personal views and opinions, but represent what the community wanted. The Town Hall discussions were the primary manner of getting input from the members of the message board, and then the advisory board would discuss and vote on issues.

We ran the message board with the advisory board until around the first of the year (maybe it was Jan/Feb time frame, but the first four or five months), but in the end we ended that method of making decisions, because it was an extra layer of discussion and work, vs. just taking the input from the Town Hall Discussions and then making the decision, so that is how I have been running the message board since the advisory board has been disbanded.

Both when the advisory board was in place and now, I have maintained my belief that an online community should not have a single person making unilateral decisions, even if that person is paying the bills. The only way for it to be a ‘community’ is for the members of that community to be heavily involved in how it is formed, run and changes over time.

This site has changed a lot from the beginning. The MHS system didn’t exist day one, and took many discussions before being implemented. The same with the Hi Five system, which was asked for by the former Freaks, and though there were some contentious Town Hall Discussions, we eventually did it on a trial basis in a single forum, and then implemented it across the whole message board. The same is true for the Lounge, which was put in place, because the message board members were split on whether or not the message board should be G/PG centric, or more adult orientated. The solution, was both. More adult in the Lounge, more PG elsewhere. There are many other examples of changes that were implemented after Town Hall Discussions, some based on ideas from former mania members and some from former Freaks.

Since the day I agreed to start Broncosforums, and still today, I am committed to this approach.

The way this is accomplished is through Town Hall Discussions. When an issue needs to be discussed, whether it is an issue I feel needs to be addressed, or the mods raise an issue or a member of this message board raises an issue, we create a Town Hall Discussion and ask all forum members to take the time to post their input in the discussion. The Town Hall threads can run anywhere from a week to several weeks, depending on how the discussion is going, and how quickly members provide input. Ideally, 100% of active members would respond and provide their input, but unfortunately that never happens. So, instead, I monitor it and continue to remind people about the thread, and make the decision to end the discussion, when it is obvious it has petered out.

Once that occurs, I read every post, and tally where each person stands on the issue. Based on that input, I might make a more definitive proposal for further discussion, or implement something that was talked about, or decide (based on the feedback) that the original idea/proposal did not have enough support, so it is set aside and not implemented.

As to tallying the input. Rarely, will a simple majority be enough to implement a change. In general, the goal is only to make forum changes if the community at large (vast majority / ~80% or so) supports the change. The reason for this is that in many cases, if there is an issue that has 53% for and 47% against, it is simply too divided a vote to make a change. This is especially true of controversial subjects where the negative produced by going against the wishes of the 47% against the proposal can in no way be outweighed by the 53% that will be happy. In that case, the status quo is maintained. In the cases where it is a non-controversial issue, such as changing the forum banner, then a simple majority would be acceptable.

This approach, which involves input and discussion, can get a little heated at times, but it is important to remember that EVERYONE should have a right to provide their input, and that they shouldn’t be attacked or belittled for their opinions.

I will admit that this method of making decisions can border on being painful at times, but as I committed on day one of starting BroncosForums.com, I will not change to making unilateral decisions as to the running of this message board, even if it would make my life far, far easier.

So, for those that are newer members to Broncosforums, I encourage you to take part in the ‘process’ and be involved in how Broncosforums is run. For those that have been here for a while, I encourage you to focus less on how things ‘used to be’ elsewhere, and focus more on what is best for BroncosForums, for OUR community and be open minded to ideas that people propose, even if it isn’t what we are used to. Change isn’t always bad, and it isn’t always good, but there is NO harm in bing open minded and considering change.

Man, that was one long post Tned............I'll try and read some of it later..........But, who thinks this the Mania of Freak? .............Those idiots.

Day1BroncoFan
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
I used to post on another forum more than I do here. Not so anymore. I post here most of the time because it's different than the other site. I don't want it to be the same, if I did I would still be posting there. I do still post there now and then. This is by far my favorite football forum.

I am open to what ever the majority wants. It doesn't matter what you do here, you cannot get rid of me. You are all stuck with me like it or not. ;)

Dortoh
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
FWIW the reason I stayed here after the OM went down is because it is different then other places. I still post alot at the OM mostly because I have friends there that I have met outside the internets. It is the differences that make this place what it is. I would hate to see this place mimic the OM or any other place.

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Stay true to what you are................keeping an open mind to anything that can have a positive effect..........or, is it Affect?

Rex
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Stay true to what you are................keeping an open mind to anything that can have a positive effect..........or, is it Affect?

Boner Sweats Forever!!

claymore
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Boner Sweats Forever!!

Boner sweats Affect me.

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Why is there so much confusion over what site this is?

claymore
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Why is there so much confusion over what site this is?

We have a guy that loves soccer, and does Chickens, a dude that does Male dogs, and raises rabbits, and a dude thad does trannies and used to drive a lincoln. You tell me.

OB
10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Im with GEM - i feel like all this crap is tearing the site apart - little by little - makes you wonder if having things open for discussion is worth it - although all in all i think it is - but there shouldnt be so much turmoil over silly things - as long as most everyone gets along and respects one another - cant we just let it be - its been said a million times but honestly - if you dont like it at one place there are several other places you can go - so why make a big fuss -

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Im with GEM - i feel like all this crap is tearing the site apart - little by little - makes you wonder if having things open for discussion is worth it - although all in all i think it is - but there shouldnt be so much turmoil over silly things - as long as most everyone gets along and respects one another - cant we just let it be - its been said a million times but honestly - if you dont like it at one place there are several other places you can go - so why make a big fuss -

Sorry, but this is not open for dicussion. ............minus 1 infraction point for you.

OB
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry, but this is not open for dicussion. ............minus 1 infraction point for you.

Damn- im leaving then :pout:

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Damn- im leaving then :pout:

Okay, fine........I'll let you off with a warning........all you have to do, is write, in 50 words or less, what you like about this site.

OB
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Everything :D

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Everything :D

You should be a Mod then.............

CoachChaz
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM

Then she'd have to stop liking me.

OB
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Would never happen

Then she'd have to stop liking me.

Would never happen

topscribe
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
If that was still too long, here is the ultra short version:

We have been at this for 14 months, we have come a LONG way, we still only make changes when the vast majority of members state they want something via Town Hall discussions. The freaks merged in 11 months ago. Let's get over any animosity between the groups that occurred nearly a year ago, and only remains between a few posters.

Let's all get along -- everyone on this message board -- all the various Broncos message boards.

[a chorus of kumbaya is heard in the background...]

And so you've whittled it down from an oak tree to a toothpick. :lol:

-----

topscribe
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Boner sweats Affect me.

Ummm . . . oh, this isn't the Lounge, is it?

Never mind . . .

-----

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Ummm . . . oh, this isn't the Lounge, is it?

Never mind . . .

-----

What was that Top?

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I vote for OB as a mod............who's with me?

Tned
10-31-2008, 01:46 PM

The sad part is that all of the turmoil has come from two posters trying, and succeeding, in derailing the discussion, and admitedly my own and some moderator's mistake of being 'baited' into responding.

So, do we have a quicker trigger and just ban people that don't respect the system OR do I become the dictator (guy with all the power that can use it at any time) that said derailing posters have portrayed me as?

I don't know the answer, but as I responded to Gem in the other thread, I am open to discussion, because the point of the 'discussion' on these issues is to get the feel of as many people as possible, not for a couple posters who have an agenda to spam and troll the hell out of the threads.

I'm making this stuff up as I go along, I'm not a professional admin, but I do feel it is critical for a community to decide on the its own future, rather than one person, but that gets hard when a few disruptive members refuse to allow that to happen.

Dortoh
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
FWIW I've watched the OM go thru growing pains like this. It all works out in the end.

ApaOps5
10-31-2008, 01:57 PM
FWIW I've watched the OM go thru growing pains like this. It all works out in the end.

You said watched which insinuates past tense. I demand you retract the term watched and replaces it with the phrase I am watching..............

I am ApaOps5 and I approve this message.

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
The sad part is that all of the turmoil has come from two posters trying, and succeeding, in derailing the discussion, and admitedly my own and some moderator's mistake of being 'baited' into responding.

Sums it up in a nutshell..............but guys, what else do we have to talk about? ..............Start a thread that is interesting, and everything will die down and get back to normal..........I'll bet cswil's life on it.

topscribe
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
You said watched which insinuates past tense. I demand you retract the term watched and replaces it with the phrase I am watching..............

I am ApaOps5 and I approve this message.

I watched my watch while you were watching and decided I'd better watch
out if you are going to watch me watch you.

*oops . . . back to topic* :redface:

-----

Tned
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM

Sums it up in a nutshell..............but guys, what else do we have to talk about? ..............Start a thread that is interesting, and everything will die down and get back to normal..........I'll bet cswil's life on it.

Ok, so at least since you admitted it, I will probably tell the mods to simply delete any future posts of yours from the Town Hall Discussion.

It isn't our responsibility to 'amuse' you.

This is a public plea. Please stop derailing the Town Hall Discussions.

Thank you.

G_Money
10-31-2008, 08:58 PM
i was just asked if I am asking the freaks to leave. Clearly, I have not clearly made my point. The short answer is no.

The longer answer (you knew there would be one, but since I am now on my mini-laptop in the bedroom, it will be shorter) is that I don't think of any specific members as former freaks or former mania's. In some cases, I don't even know where people have come from.

I look at us all as part of BroncosForums.

However, as I said, over the last 24 hours or so, old tension between those that came from the two message boards have resurfaced, and I am asking everyone to be open minded when Town Hall discussions come up, rather than dig up any old animosity from when the forums merged.

Further, rather than continuing to have a couple posters disrupt Town Hall discussions with the SOLE purpose of attacking BF, and then behind the scenes suggesting people check out Broncosfreaks, I am doing their promotion for them.

I believe in transparency. If a couple people who are upset with BF or miss the old Broncosfreak, want people to leave here and move to broncosfreaks, rather than spamming our town hall threads with one liners and recruiting behind the scenes, I just cut to the chase and posted the link, so people can decide for themselves.

My hope is that NOBODY leaves here, including HolyDiver, but for those that want to, then no hard feelings. Same for those that want to post on both, or on here and mania or here and the Mane.

We are Broncos fans first.

I would just prefer we are open and honest. If some Broncosfreaks members want to recruit from here, I just helped them, so they can stop disrupting our attempt to make this a better message board.

Beyond that, the bigger message I am trying to send is that we need to all be OPEN to new ideas. Just because neg rep didn't work on Mania, doesn't mean the former mania people should be closed to any discussion about it, just because rep used to be tracked on the Freak and isn't here, doesn't mean the only 'right' approach is to start tracking points.

If everyone would focus more on being open to ideas and suggestions, even if they are outside our 'comfort zone' we will be able to have better Town Hall discussions if we are all willing to listen to others ideas and are truly OPEN to considering them.

And this is one reason why I stay.

If all the posters I like - and even the ones who are good arguing buddies - left, I'd probably have to go find some new ones.

If the mods here starting falling off their rockers and nuking every post, that'd be a good hint to strap up my stick and bandana and hop a train too.

But the board management here does a great job of trying to stay on top of things and do their work without impeding too many people. This is the first I'd heard of this, honestly. I don't pay much attention to drama.

And I don't have boobs so people don't bring it to me randomly.

This board stays friendly, and walks quite a fine line between its disparate groups - it allows the vulgarity that keeps my fellow former Freaks happy, and it doesn't slam its mod-style all over the former Mania folks who still don't seem to have forgiven the former site for those faux paus.

But all of us who are still here I would have to think are now Forumers. The majority of the Lounge business is former Freaks, but it's a different vibe there than it was on the Freak board. And I honestly can't remember where the majority of the board members came from.

I come here to talk to all of you about football, and be entertained. I come for a place where the drama is optional but the good football opinion is mandatory.

And I come here to hang with all of you, wherever you came from.

And for as long as TNed keeps the place around, I intend to keep coming here.

Because board runners who know how to throw the doors open and have a great party without letting people rough the joint up every night have something special.

Dalton and Wade Garrett couldn't keep the place any better run. :beer:

Thanks for putting in the effort it takes to keep the place running smoothly. IMO transparency is part of the package with that. The more I believe that backstage-drama isn't gonna become my problem later - once it's too big to hide behind the curtain any longer - the more comfortable I can be.

And I feel pretty damn comfortable. :coffee:

I appreciate it.

~G

claymore
10-31-2008, 09:02 PM

If all the posters I like - and even the ones who are good arguing buddies - left, I'd probably have to go find some new ones.

If the mods here starting falling off their rockers and nuking every post, that'd be a good hint to strap up my stick and bandana and hop a train too.

But the board management here does a great job of trying to stay on top of things and do their work without impeding too many people. This is the first I'd heard of this, honestly. I don't pay much attention to drama.

This board stays friendly, and walks quite a fine line between its disparate groups - it allows the vulgarity that keeps my fellow former Freaks happy, and it doesn't slam its mod-style all over the former Mania folks who still don't seem to have forgiven the former site for those faux paus.

But all of us who are still here I would have to think are now Forumers. The majority of the Lounge business is former Freaks, but it's a different vibe there than it was on the Freak board. And I honestly can't remember where the majority of the board members came from.

I come here to talk to all of you about football, and be entertained. I come for a place where the drama is optional but the good football opinion is mandatory.

Because board runners who know how to throw the doors open and have a great party without letting people rough the joint up every night have something special.

Thanks for putting in the effort it takes to keep the place running smoothly. IMO transparency is part of the package with that. The more I believe that backstage-drama isn't gonna become my problem later - once it's too big to hide behind the curtain any longer - the more comfortable I can be.

I appreciate it.

~G

I love you G.

Sincerely,

Robert F. Claymore.

:salute:

haroldthebarrel
10-31-2008, 09:08 PM

I appreciate it.

~G

Great post.

I simply believe that there would be less tensions if people talked more football. Try to find what we have in common and not what separates us so to say.

KCL
10-31-2008, 09:39 PM

You calling Tned a nerd? ;)

KCL
10-31-2008, 09:42 PM

I'll summarize.

Tned...I don't believe that the people who came from Mania want this to be like Mania.This is a board all it's own and I believe it is fine the way it is.

G_Money
10-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Great post.

I simply believe that there would be less tensions if people talked more football. Try to find what we have in common and not what separates us so to say.

If we'd start playing well and winning again some tensions would go away. It's hard to have fun football conversations when most of them start off with "I hate X player/Y coach/we suck/I need another drink" or whatever. And then posters take out their Broncos frustrations on the nearest available people - each other.

Luckily we're Broncos fans, so better times are ahead. :salute:

~G

Dreadnought
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM

I appreciate it.

~G

Beautifully stated. As usual.

claymore
10-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Beautifully stated. As usual.

I say we just get drunk and have a low boil. : pukeembarresmentetc...:

Tned
10-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I say we just get drunk and have a low boil. : pukeembarresmentetc...:

There is no beer or shrimp in this damn state :sad:

Bronco9798
11-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm an Ex-Freak and I approve this thread.

Tned
11-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm an Ex-Freak and I approve this thread.

I never asked. What the heck happened to get kitty so pissed?

slim
11-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I never asked. What the heck happened to get kitty so pissed?

Niner never pets the kitty, he is only interested in his own needs.

Dreadnought
11-02-2008, 06:33 AM
There is no beer... in this damn state :sad:

Damn, Tned...you might as well live in Borneo then. There must clearly be no civilization there at all then. :tsk:

claymore
11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Damn, Tned...you might as well live in Borneo then. There must clearly be no civilization there at all then. :tsk:

Borneo chicks are hot.

Dreadnought
11-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Borneo chicks are hot.

True, insofar as they don't wear a lot of clothes. Their husbands or fathers might still be into headhunting though, which might put a damper on the Romance. New Guinea isn't much of an improvement either, as you might end up in a stew pot.

Tned
11-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Well, based on quite a few poster's opinion of my 'behavior', you might be correct about there being a lack of civilized society here. ;)

Lonestar
11-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Can you brew/distill your own for personal consumption?

Thnikkaman
11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
To me, this sounds more and more like the squeeky wheel getting the grease.

I really appreciate the site that you have provided for us TNed, and at some point, when you start accepting donations to keep this place running (I know I lowballed my estimation in the other thread), you might be surprised with how many people are willing to help with the costs.

Forums are usually populated with Transient users with a handful that make it their home. If someone gets offended and decides to move on, they will be missed for a short while, but this site isn't going to be any worse without those people. I am sure that they know this, and are holding onto some resentment. They will either get over it, or move on.

I know, I'm not the greatest football mind, nor the coolest poster on this board, but its a great refuge for those times when I need a little distraction, or there is nothing else for me to do at work while something is compiling. If something drastically changes such that this is no longer a healthy distraction for me (like G-Money so adequately put it), I'm out like shout.

Keep up the good work, and as usual, let me know if there is anything technical you ever need help with TNed. I'm not doubting your capabilities, its just always nice to get a fresh pair of eyes to look at something.

GEM
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
There is no beer or shrimp in this damn state :sad:

T, would they hunt me down if I were to smuggle you some beer? :confused:

Tned
11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
T, would they hunt me down if I were to smuggle you some beer? :confused:

You better do it smokey and the bandit style, with a lead car and diversion. :)

dogfish
11-08-2008, 05:45 AM
hi jwalk!

uhhh. . . bye jwalk. . . . :wave: