PDA

View Full Version : Getting 'Marshalled'

DenBronx
10-30-2008, 04:48 PM
My boy is so bad people have nightmares about him. They actually named a play after him. The next time a WR in the NFL breaks 2 or 3 tackles and goes the distance it's called "You just got Marshalled". So you can't be him or equal him...one can only try and replicate him. After all there can only be one badest mofo on the planet at one time. :salute:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread7/seifert

It is one of the more helpless feelings in the NFL.

There you are. An isolated, beaten cornerback sprawled out, face first, on the field. You have a mouth full of dirt and grass. Your hands are grasping nothing but air. You have divots from Brandon Marshall's speeding cleats firing back into your eyes.

Terrifying thought.

It's happened dozens of time since 2006 and it's bound to happen hundreds more times to earnest but unfortunate defensive backs. It should be referred to as "being Marshalled."

Indeed, having Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall break a would-be tackle and rumble down the field for more yardage or even a touchdown is a common phenomenon in the NFL. It happens several times a Sunday.

"Brandon Marshall is a defensive lineman playing wide receiver," Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers said. "He wants to inflict punishment on you. He wants you to try to tackle him so he can shove you off of him and get more yards."

At 6-5 and 230 pounds, the sculpted Marshall has many things going for him that contribute to his uncanny talent of being able to break tackles and get yardage after the catch.

Not only is Marshall big, but he's very fast and he plays mean. He plays with a purpose. Catching the ball is just half the deal for Marshall. Once he gets the ball in his mitts, Marshall is full steam ahead. He is all moving parts, with three or four defenders hanging on him.

Be the first to meet a football-toting Marshall and be sure to be bruised and battered. And don't expect to bring him down. Not by yourself, at least.

BCJ
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
How ironic. They also call a wide receiver that caught a ball but fumbles it to the other team as being Marshalled. Dont get me wrong. I like having him on the team but fundamentally, he needs to fix that costly mistake. It is in his blood to be the best receiver YATC, but sometimes when you only need the first down and are at the 10, take it, dive forward and make the TD catch on first down.

GEM
10-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I love Marshall, I really do...but (there had to be one in there) when he can break 2 or 3 tackles and run UP field instead of side to side, I'll be a bit more happy. I know last season he was huge at YAC...this year, eh...not so much. Then with the tendency of the dropsies, that doesn't help.

He's got all the tools, he's just not working the tools so well right now.

Run forward, not backwards.

Run forward, not sideways.

And ALWAYS, ALWAYS hang on to the ball.

broncohead
10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
When a defense like ours gives up so many points then big plays are always needed to keep us in the game. I like what he does.

NameUsedBefore
10-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Guy's got all the tools to be a beast. Try to keep in mind that it takes awhile for receivers, even the "elites" coming out of college, to get the hang of the NFL.

JKcatch724
10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm just glad he's on our side :salute:

Benetto
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I'd take Marshall 100 out of 100 times again, knowing he'd be what he is on and off the field. Fumbles, Bitch slaps, and everything....I hope we re-sign him when the time is near.

Lonestar
10-30-2008, 08:41 PM
the man is a load that is for sure..

But he is a knee injury wating to happen..

It is time for him to make the catch and go north and south only a lot less juking and jiving at 6'5" and 230 your a WR not a scat back..

Your paid to catch th ball and make poistive yardage.

STOP THINKING your Barry Sanders.. YOUR NOT..

ApaOps5
10-30-2008, 08:49 PM
He is better at breaking tackles than Barry Sanders you are right Jrwiz. I like how the last two weeks he has carried a football around everywhere to try to prevent the fumbles.

He is learning to take what he can get and get down. The past game he broke a tackle got some yards then went down. The best is yet to come.

Lonestar
10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
He is better at breaking tackles than Barry Sanders you are right Jrwiz. I like how the last two weeks he has carried a football around everywhere to try to prevent the fumbles.

He is learning to take what he can get and get down. The past game he broke a tackle got some yards then went down. The best is yet to come.

Barry Sanders rarely had to break tackle mostly is was ankles he was breaking..

MY concern had not been the fumbles but now that you mention it. But more so him thinking he is a RB trying to juke and jive out of oncoming tacklers.. down near the LOS that means LB and DL folks.. 15 yards up field it is DB'S that are usually 30-60 pounds smaller and thus inflect a lot less damage should they hit him from the side..

Broncolingus
10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Getting 'Marshalled'

Sounds better than getting "Munsoned" I guess...

http://www.intentionalfoul.com/images/roymunson.jpg

BCJ
10-31-2008, 06:19 AM
When a defense like ours gives up so many points then big plays are always needed to keep us in the game. I like what he does.

are offense should be good enough to sustain drives and not kill us with costly turnovers. You think it was wise to get that extra yard or two when he already had the first down and we were at the 10 ready to score? Come on.

bengaaaaals1688
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
No offense to Marshall, but considering there is already a WR in the league who has been doing the same thing for much longer than Marshall, and also happens to be smaller... This is just stupidity coming from ESPN.

Oh, and that man's name is Hines Ward, I may not like the man, but he is a truck.

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
No offense to Marshall, but considering there is already a WR in the league who has been doing the same thing for much longer than Marshall, and also happens to be smaller... This is just stupidity coming from ESPN.

Oh, and that man's name is Hines Ward, I may not like the man, but he is a truck.

Come on now, Ward is NOTHING like Marshall...........A very good Receiver, in the category of Rod Smith.........but marshall is in an entirely different category..............Closer to a Jim Browm or Marion Motley...........He'll make that much of an impact when it's all said and done.

jrelway
10-31-2008, 12:02 PM
its always a treat to watch marshall. just like jkatch said, im glad hes on our side.

bengaaaaals1688
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Come on now, Ward is NOTHING like Marshall...........A very good Receiver, in the category of Rod Smith.........but marshall is in an entirely different category..............Closer to a Jim Browm or Marion Motley...........He'll make that much of an impact when it's all said and done.

I'm not saying Ward is as good as Marshall, my point is he has been doing the same thing after the catch for I believe 8 years now. Ward has run over more DB's than Marshall has even seen, and I hate Ward because he is on the Steelers, but I have to give him credit.

As for him being closer to a Jim Brown or Marion Motley, with all due respect to the kid, he's too young to even be thinking of making that kind of comparison.

broncofaninfla
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I think Marshall is the most gifted receiver in Broncos history but not necessarily the best. He has the tools to be the best though just needs to get smarter and work harder. I wouldn’t trade him for any other receiver in the league right now.

HolyDiver
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying Ward is as good as Marshall, my point is he has been doing the same thing after the catch for I believe 8 years now. Ward has run over more DB's than Marshall has even seen, and I hate Ward because he is on the Steelers, but I have to give him credit.

As for him being closer to a Jim Brown or Marion Motley, with all due respect to the kid, he's too young to even be thinking of making that kind of comparison.

He is too young, but that is the direction he's going.as for Ward, I like the guy alot....but he isn't a 6'5'' 230 pound Freak..........Ward does great for his size though.

bengaaaaals1688
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
He is too young, but that is the direction he's going.as for Ward, I like the guy alot....but he isn't a 6'5'' 230 pound Freak..........Ward does great for his size though.

Again, I'm not arguing that Ward is Marshall or that he is better than Marshall by any means. My only point was that ESPN ridiculously attaches labels to people just because they decide it's the right thing to do, even if there is someone who has been doing the same thing for longer. I'm not comparing the 2 to each other, not saying that Marshall can't do this, but Ward can do that... Just merely pointing out the things that always piss me off about ESPN.