PDA

View Full Version : PROTRADE - Sports Stock Market

studbucket
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
It's not exactly fantasy, but it's close enough related that I figured it belonged here and I figure some of you might enjoy it.

It was created by Jeff Ma (the book Bringing Down the House and the movie 21 are about him) and is a sort of stock markets for sports, using fictional Protrade dollars (PT$). Using those PT$ you can redeem them for gift cards, autographed memorabilia, and even LCD TVs.

Are any of you guys already part of PROTRADE? If you aren't, and you want to join and help me out, if you PM me your email, I can be your 'referrer' and get 1000 PT$.

Below is a small screenshot of what my portfolio looks like right now, and I will explain more about how the pricing works next post.

http://www.protrade.com/

http://cs.uiowa.edu/~kimbell/images/pt.jpg

studbucket
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Even if you don't want to 'help me out' by having me refer you, you can still add me as a friend. I'm using studbucket as my username.

studbucket
10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Below is the best I can do to explain how pricing works.

IPO
A stock is IPO'd at a certain price which reflects the general expectations of that team or player. Let's say the team is the Houston Rockets and they IPO at $129.

That represents that the expectations for the Rockets are:
55 regular season wins (at $2/win) = $110
A playoff birth ($10) = $120
3 playoff wins ($3/win) = $129

End-Date
At the end of the season, the same formula is used to determine the stock's final price. So if the Rockets actually have 50 wins, but they make the playoffs, win 7 playoff games, and win a series, their final price would be $141. Meaning if you bought them at IPO, you would make $12/share.

In-Between
In between, the stock's price is determined completely by the 'market'. If Yao is out for the season (like happened last year), expect to see a major price drop; something like from $130 to $100 or so, then a stabilization back up to $120 or so as the knee-jerk reactions stop.

So there are two real ways to make money: Long-term against a teams expectations (by shorting or buying), or riding short-term waves up and down. There is also a $30 floor on all stocks, just something to take note of.

Dortoh
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I've been doing this for a couple years. I'm freaking rich I just cant find the "cash out" button.

studbucket
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I've been doing this for a couple years. I'm freaking rich I just cant find the "cash out" button.

Awesome. I started back in February, how much cash have you accumulated?

Dortoh
10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Awesome. I started back in February, how much cash have you accumulated?

Ok I'm busted I have a grand total of $41

I only buy at the start of the NFL season and just ride it from there.

How are you doing?

studbucket
10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Ok I'm busted I have a grand total of $41

I only buy at the start of the NFL season and just ride it from there.

How are you doing?

LOL, you tried.

I am doing OK. Not a day trader, and I have heard the first $100k is the toughest. I have done the NBA, NCAABB, and MLB seasons now and I am sitting at $72K right now, but with the MLB season ending today, I am hoping to see that jump up to $75-80k before I tackle NFL and NCAAFB.

Dortoh
10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
LOL, you tried.

I am doing OK. Not a day trader, and I have heard the first $100k is the toughest. I have done the NBA, NCAABB, and MLB seasons now and I am sitting at $72K right now, but with the MLB season ending today, I am hoping to see that jump up to $75-80k before I tackle NFL and NCAAFB.

I messed around with the NBA and MLB but I dont follow them enough and lost my butt

studbucket
10-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Hurray for MLB end-date and picking up NFL and NCAAFB stocks...I'm all the way up to $78.6K, that's a 6K jump from my earlier post.

studbucket
01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I finally hit $100K.

Also, just bumping to see if anyone else does Protrade?

sneakers
01-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Seems kinda nerdy to me. :bolt:

studbucket
01-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Seems kinda nerdy to me. :bolt:

Well I am a self-proclaimed nerd.

It's a lot like fantasy sports though in a sense, combined with the stock market. A lot of people here invest, and a lot of people play fantasy sports, and a lot of people here like sports. This is just a combination of all 3.