PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Woody's Mailbag
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/03/2011 01:00:00 AM

Woody: A 215-pound running back with good speed fires through the line for a 71-yard touchdown run. It is his rookie year. In total, he gains more than 1,600 yards combined for rushing and receiving. He scores 10 touchdowns and is an exciting prospect. Think I am talking about Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson? Nope: Steve Slaton, the now the fourth-string running back of the Houston Texans . Do you think the Broncos would trade for him? He has the tools, and if he solves his fumbling problem, he could be great. He just won't get the opportunity in Texas. What do you think, Woody?

— JB, Wausau, Wis.

Slaton has dropped off the edge of the earth in Houston. He went from being a prized running back to a part-time wide receiver some then solely a return man. He had neck surgery a couple of years ago, and just never came back strong from it. Also, after his rookie year, according to my man in Houston, Slaton decided to gain some weight, and that didn't help him. After the Texans got Ben Tate, Slaton no longer mattered with the Texans.

http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_18194199

I had thought Denver picking up Slaton but now I don't know if that would be such a good idea. Woody also mentioned Jerious Norwood as posibility but he seems to me to be part time back so I don't know about him either.

BroncoStud
06-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't believe Norwood has EVER had a healthy season but he is FAST, real FAST, wouldn't mind him as a 3rd downer.

Slaton to me has always seemed slow, slow to the point where he would always struggle to keep his job. I'd take him as a backup to Moreno, but as a starter we could do better.

MOtorboat
06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Jerome Harrison
Michael Bush
Jerious Norwood
Jason Snelling

As a replacement to Moreno? Really? :tsk:

Ahmad Bradshaw...maybe.

But if the front office sees those four players as better than Moreno, I have serious doubts.

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
I don't believe Norwood has EVER had a healthy season but he is FAST, real FAST, wouldn't mind him as a 3rd downer.

Slaton to me has always seemed slow, slow to the point where he would always struggle to keep his job. I'd take him as a backup to Moreno, but as a starter we could do better.

I like the idea of bringing in Michael Bush.

Lonestar
06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
I think woody full of it. again as everything I have heard was they are going back to the zbs and it was Bobby turner that made the TD call , pushed hard for him inthe draft.

Ravage!!!
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
:lol:

Ravage!!!
06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting t hese guys are "replacements" for Moreno, yet. But Moreno hasn't shown that he can get through a season without injury. Having guy like Slaton to compliment, suppliment, and help Moreno throughout the season would be a good thing.

Right now, we need a power back. Although I have hope that White can be that guy.

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Jerome Harrison
Michael Bush
Jerious Norwood
Jason Snelling

Ahmad Bradshaw...maybe.

But if the front office sees those four players as better than Moreno, I have serious doubts.

We have same running backs coach that we had under we had under McDaniels so Studesville probably has pretty good feel what they have in Moreno.

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting t hese guys are "replacements" for Moreno, yet. But Moreno hasn't shown that he can get through a season without injury. Having guy like Slaton to compliment, suppliment, and help Moreno throughout the season would be a good thing.

Right now, we need a power back. Although I have hope that White can be that guy.

We need running backs that can stay healthy. White coming off a very serious injury and we all know Moreno's and Buckhalter's health history.

slim
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Slaton?

No thanks. He is a product of a system, not different than OG or the bulldozer.

rcsodak
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I guarantee this.....

....we're gonna see a rash of injuries league wide because of the lack of supervised trainings. And the fact that nobody will be willing to 'push it' for fear of being injured.

I can see a Mash unit listing like never before seen.

Lonestar
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
If white can come back from the achillies then we have a power back to get those tough yards as well as catch the ball out the backfield.

He was motivated to come home and play for his home town team.

Let's hope he can get back there and make a contribution.

underrated29
06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I disagree that we need a power back. We need a speed back.

White is fine with power and he will be fine. Moreno is strong enough and we are going to sign a back or two in FA and UFDA.

What we have nothing at all at is speeed. We need speed.

Slaton sucks, and he fumbles more than peyton hillis.

Ravage!!!
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
There was a HUGE rash of injuries last year, and the year before. I don't see there being any more than any other season. Every year there are a ton of injuries throughout the league.

atwater27
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Jerome Harrison
Michael Bush
Jerious Norwood
Jason Snelling

Ahmad Bradshaw...maybe.

I would loooove to see Micahel Bush in Orange and Blue. He'd kick ass.

topscribe
06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I think woody full of it. again as everything I have heard was they are going back to the zbs and it was Bobby turner that made the TD call , pushed hard for him inthe draft.

Sounds as if you have Woody's number, all right. :laugh:

-----

WARHORSE
06-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I would loooove to see Micahel Bush in Orange and Blue. He'd kick ass.

Yeah.

I would like that.

I also would like Marion Barber or Snelling.

These guys run hard. But if Bush has no more injury problems, I like the thought because hes probably taken the least amount of punishment.....or Snelling.

Lonestar
06-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I disagree that we need a power back. We need a speed back.

White is fine with power and he will be fine. Moreno is strong enough and we are going to sign a back or two in FA and UFDA.

What we have nothing at all at is speeed. We need speed.

Slaton sucks, and he fumbles more than peyton hillis.

SO who is this speed back you think we need.

I think in the case of a RB speed is way overrated..

TD was a slug speed wise but he always seemed to break off a 30+ yard run from time to time.

Usually when they have speed they are not big enough to withstand the punishment in the NFL and are gone after a couple of years.

GIve me a stable of 225+ pound RBs and I'll take all of those 3-6 yards runs all damned day.

topscribe
06-05-2011, 10:03 AM

TD was a slug speed wise but he always seemed to break off a 30+ yard run from time to time.

Usually when they have speed they are not big enough to withstand the punishment in the NFL and are gone after a couple of years.

GIve me a stable of 225+ pound RBs and I'll take all of those 3-6 yards runs all damned day.

I remember back in a KC game when Moreno broke off a 25-yard run and then a
22-yard run. If the line can consistently block well enough to allow him to do
that once or twice a game, then suddenly the Broncos have a respectable
running game. It might amaze one how much difference that would make in
such things as 3rd down conversions and wins.

I agree: If speed is the only consideration, let's get Tater back in uniform.
After all, he may be the fasted RB the Broncos have had since Otis Armstrong.
Other than that, I think the inclusion of a DeAngelo Williams would complement
Moreno just fine.

But Jim Brown in his prime wouldn't make much of a difference if the line can't
block. That's where it all begins.

-----

gobroncsnv
06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
YEP, I remember how the Packers stopped Jim Brown in the championship game against the Packers around 65 (or so)... Was a guy named Nitchske... JB could run a lot of guys over, but not him. Blocking matters, for ANY back... And I guess some disagree, but I don't think we had much of it last year. Blocking in football is as good an idea as a 3 run homer in baseball... you win some games when you have those.

topscribe
06-05-2011, 02:56 PM
YEP, I remember how the Packers stopped Jim Brown in the championship game against the Packers around 65 (or so)... Was a guy named Nitchske... JB could run a lot of guys over, but not him. Blocking matters, for ANY back... And I guess some disagree, but I don't think we had much of it last year. Blocking in football is as good an idea as a 3 run homer in baseball... you win some games when you have those.

Wow . . . talk about boyhood memories. Thanks.

Nostalgia is all the sudden at a high . . . :beer:

-----

gobroncsnv
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, that was when I started out loving the NFL, and was a Packers fan, in fact, still have a tender spot in my heart for them... LOVE how such a small market team can survive, even THRIVE in the corporate-fed NFL... Nevertheless, definitely want to see the Broncs retool, load up, and get themselves back in gear.
TURN this ship around, PAT! Or, give the freedom and tools needed to this new crop of coaches to GET"R"DONE!!!

TXBRONC
06-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I remember back in a KC game when Moreno broke off a 25-yard run and then a
22-yard run. If the line can consistently block well enough to allow him to do
that once or twice a game, then suddenly the Broncos have a respectable
running game. It might amaze one how much difference that would make in
such things as 3rd down conversions and wins.

I agree: If speed is the only consideration, let's get Tater back in uniform.
After all, he may be the fasted RB the Broncos have had since Otis Armstrong.
Other than that, I think the inclusion of a DeAngelo Williams would complement
Moreno just fine.

But Jim Brown in his prime wouldn't make much of a difference if the line can't
block. That's where it all begins.

-----

We still lost that game 10 to 6. Better play from the quarterback might have made a difference.

topscribe
06-06-2011, 10:15 AM
We still lost that game 10 to 6. Better play from the quarterback might have made a difference.

I believe this part of the discussion is about the running backs, not the
quarterbacks, isn't it? I believe the gist of the conversation is what kind of RB
would be best . . .

-----

nevcraw
06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
out of that list snelling would be the best pick up. He does well everytime he touches the ball.

TXBRONC
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
out of that list snelling would be the best pick up. He does well everytime he touches the ball.

I can't say I've even heard of the guy before.

Like I said I think Michael Bush would be a good addition as well.

nevcraw
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I can't say I've even heard of the guy before.

Like I said I think Michael Bush would be a good addition as well.

Snelling backs up Turner for ATL. big dude with quicks and a great nose for the end zone.

BroncoWave
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Granted I'm biased because I'm a Mississippi St. fan, but I think Jerious Norwood is a damn good RB when he is healthy. Yeah, he has a problem saying healthy, but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him.

TXBRONC
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Snelling backs up Turner for ATL. big dude with quicks and a great nose for the end zone.

Thanks Nev. :beer:

OrangeHoof
06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Slaton had a great rookie year but the following season he became a fumbler and then needed surgery on his neck. Last year, they put him on kick return squads to help him earn his keep but he showed he was afraid of contact (again the neck) and would go down on the first hit.

I think he believes (or at least plays like) the first really good hit to his neck is going to put him in a wheelchair. You can't be effective in the NFL when you run like that.

Of the names mentioned, Michael Bush makes the most sense to me but Arian Foster proves you can find talented running backs in the parking lot if you can find the right fit for your system. You just need to find someone who is quick, cuts well, blocks well when asked to and isn't afraid of contact. He doesn't have to be a home run threat - just a threat to get 10-20 yards downfield.

gobroncsnv
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Not trying to overstate your case, but sounds like the guy you're looking for is the second coming of TD... Like, WHO wouldn't want that around here? But yeah, we need the consistency that TD brought, like you said, not either home run or strike out, just a nice 5-6 yard average would work real fine for me. We need some of that production more than we are in need of potential. But no fear of contact, blocking... sounds like a good team kind of guy.

Dean
06-10-2011, 11:36 AM

In his four years, hasn't he only scored 4 touchdowns?

BroncoStud
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
In his four years, hasn't he only scored 4 touchdowns?

Snelling is a pretty solid backup RB.

Dean
06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Snelling is a pretty solid backup RB.

I was commenting on the "great nose for the endzone" comment. A total of four TDs in his NFL career seemed to be insufficient to post that. He might be great; he might not be. I just found the statement to not be evident.

His yards per carry have been sporatic but I haven't watched him enough to make a solid assessment as to what contribution he could make to the Broncos.

SOCALORADO.
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
DEN needs speed at RB. Sure power and vision would be great. Another TD would just be aswsome!
TD wasnt the fastest back, but he was fast enough, but what made him a HOF RB was his power and vision. He already knew what the opposing players were going to do 15 steps before he came to that player. Emmit Smith had the same traits.
Not the fastest players, but elusive and ran with power, usually taking 2 players to bring them down.
The next best possibility for DEN in FA is

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/48639/D-Will_scores_against_Bucs.jpg

underrated29
06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Speed backs I think we could use:

jerious Noorwood
Derrick Loche
Graig cooper
Noel Devine (puke of a person though-will end up in jail i have no doubts)
dwill2- (carolina is not going to let him go. They just wont so it willNOT happen, ever!)

As for getting the 3-6 on each run. I agree and I fully think KNowshon is capable of doing so. I have argued it time and time again. But lets see what he does in the ZBS when he is not hit at or behind the LOS.....

Knowshon for the 5-6 yards runs.
White for the fatty bruiser runs.
and one of the above for the speed.

NightTerror218
06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
DEN needs speed at RB. Sure power and vision would be great. Another TD would just be aswsome!
TD wasnt the fastest back, but he was fast enough, but what made him a HOF RB was his power and vision. He already knew what the opposing players were going to do 15 steps before he came to that player. Emmit Smith had the same traits.
Not the fastest players, but elusive and ran with power, usually taking 2 players to bring them down.
The next best possibility for DEN in FA is

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/48639/D-Will_scores_against_Bucs.jpg

This is my number 1 pick for our RB and Michael Bush and my next option. Williams knows Fox and he is good. Bush is good and it would hurt the Raiders to lose 1 of there good RBs.

NightTerror218
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Some of Moreno's potential as long as he is healthy....I know he got injured at end of this video.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/06/10/three-and-out-moreno-could-have-company/?module=HP_spotlight

SOCALORADO.
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
This is my number 1 pick for our RB and Michael Bush and my next option. Williams knows Fox and he is good. Bush is good and it would hurt the Raiders to lose 1 of there good RBs.

Yeah, i would take Bush. And if CAR was really serious about keeping DWill, they would have signed him before the season ended. Instead hes a UFA and they have made a number of comments and moves that lead many to believe they have no interest in re-signing him.
DWill has 2 good years left. Thats about it.
He has a injury history, although it isnt severe.
However, he is faster than fast, and speed kills in the NFL.
He is a pro bowl level talent and a game changer.
DEN is in dire need of that kind of talent, and he would take a
huge amount of pressure off of TT.
TT needs to have a rookie/2nd year, Big Ben type of season next year.
12-16 189 yds, 1 RUSH TD, 1 PASS TD.
Run the shit outta the ball.
Let the run game and the defense win the games, while TT gets better.
Which is why DEN needs Barry Cofield so freakin bad as well!