PDA

View Full Version : Jets fan sues Patriots, Belichick

Denver Native (Carol)
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Jets fan sues Patriots, Belichick for $184M
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7276110
Jets fan sues Patriots, Belichick for $184M

NEW YORK (AP) - A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told The Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Mayer is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders.

Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose — including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.

"They were deceiving customers," said the 48-year-old Mayer. "You can't deceive customers."

The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.

The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount — or $184.8 million — in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

"How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Mayer and Afran, who consider themselves public interest lawyers, have been thorns in the side of New Jersey politicians for years, filing lawsuits and demanding investigations to advance their grievances. They are well known in the state but generally have had little success in their causes.

Both have lost bids for elected offices, and Mayer once served as a presidential campaign adviser to Ralph Nader.

Their demand in March for a probe of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's gifts to a former girlfriend was rejected by a federal prosecutor. In 2006, a judge vetoed their effort to block Corzine's appointment of Rep. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., to fill the governor's seat in the U.S. Senate.

They also failed to get a court to order a special election to replace Gov. James E. McGreevey when he resigned in 2004.

Now, they're taking on the Patriots.

Their latest lawsuit asserted that the secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."

The actions of Belichick and the Patriots violated federal and state racketeering laws, as well as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and New Jersey Deceptive Business Practices Act, according to the lawsuit.

"Having been a lifelong Jets fan, as soon as I heard this, I was completely outraged," Mayer said. "The NFL just slapped them on the wrist. I'm a consumer lawyer, and this is consumer fraud."

OB
09-28-2007, 11:57 PM
although i understand we they are upset - but suing the- not so sure thats cool:tsk::tsk:

konnorrollison
09-29-2007, 12:24 AM
WoW :rolleyes:

Escobar
09-29-2007, 01:12 AM
die hard :laugh:

Tom33
09-29-2007, 08:10 AM
That is crazy. J-E-T-S Go Jets!

Rick
09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Though I am sick to death of all the lawsuits out there...I hope they win.

Be a major lesson to all teams out there of what could potentially happen if your team is caught cheating. It won't be just what the NFL will do to you...but what the thousands of people in the stands might do to you as well.

WTE
09-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Though I am sick to death of all the lawsuits out there...I hope they win.

Be a major lesson to all teams out there of what could potentially happen if your team is caught cheating. It won't be just what the NFL will do to you...but what the thousands of people in the stands might do to you as well.

You're right. This would establish a great precedent for our country. :rolleyes:

I'm already making plans for my own class-action suit. The next time I go to Dunkin' Donuts and I get a donut that's been sitting their for half the day, I'm going to sue them on behalf of the millions of Americans who ever got a stale donut.

I mean, that's consumer fraud too, right?

topscribe
09-29-2007, 10:18 AM
One of my favoite coffee stops!

Count me in!

I would expect better from Dunkin' Donuts . . . :mad:

-----

WTE
09-29-2007, 10:37 AM
One of my favoite coffee stops!

Count me in!

I would expect better from Dunkin' Donuts . . . :mad:

-----

You got it Tops!

And another thing....

I went to a concert by The Who in 1982 for what was labeled their "Farewell Tour." They were never to play again together. Yet, they had multiple reunion shows in the years that followed.

I got screwed!

I'm gonna round up the hundreds of thousands of people who saw that tour and sue the heck out of The Who.

Anybody on these boards see that tour? You can join my class-action suit.

omac
09-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Do all Jets fans think this way? :eek:

On the other hand, that donut thing sounds like a great idea. :elefant:

The Horses Mouth
09-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I hope thy get the amount payed for season tickets over the 7 years. HILARIOUS. OMFG i would kill myself from joy.

Den21vsBal19
09-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Surely,though, they should be suing the owners of the Jets for describing them as a football team?

:laugh:

dogfish
09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
in related news, chiefs fans are preparing to file a class-action suit against carl peterson for failing to field a competitive football team. . .

BigBroncLove
09-29-2007, 07:59 PM
It should be fun for the judge to throw them out of court, just like the time before, and the time before that.

How much money have these idiots cost the common tax payer taking their own personal ideas of what is right to court and translating them into legal jargon? consumer fraud? :crazy: I hope someone presents a case to the U.S. bar foundation for dis-barment..... On the bright side, I remember why I don't like msot lawyers now.

Rick
09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
You're right. This would establish a great precedent for our country. :rolleyes:

I'm already making plans for my own class-action suit. The next time I go to Dunkin' Donuts and I get a donut that's been sitting their for half the day, I'm going to sue them on behalf of the millions of Americans who ever got a stale donut.

I mean, that's consumer fraud too, right?

I am not talking to set a precedent for our country, God only knows there are too damn many law suits out there right now.

But I would love to set one for all the rich people out there that think they can do whatever the heck they want to when they want to and expect just the typical slap on the hand. I list all NFL teams in on the rich list.