PDA

View Full Version : Coordinators Talk Philosophy

Denver Native (Carol)
06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Mike McCoy, Dennis Allen and Jeff Rodgers talked recently about their philosophies on offense, defense and special teams, respectively. Allen said he wants his group to be 'feared.'

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos are not going to be pushed around in 2011.

In fact, as far as the team's coordinators are concerned, Denver will be doing the majority of the pushing.

At the team's A Night with the Coaches event in May, Defensive Coordinator Dennis Allen, Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy and Special Teams Coordinator Jeff Rodgers spoke about what they will expect out of their troops in the upcoming season.

All three coaches' philosophies seemed to center around one trait -- toughness.

Allen said the defense needs to bring the fight to the offense, McCoy talked about bringing back a physical running game and Rodgers looks for players who can get down the field and make big plays.

rest of article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Coordinators-Talk-Philosophy/410bfb18-53d4-4d7e-91fd-713a950ba5b5

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Oh man, bring out the offseason, lock out cliches...

I just want to see it from this defense. My word, they've played like pansies the last two years. They just get pushed around, they don't cause turnovers, they don't attack.

BigDaddyBronco
06-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh man, bring out the offseason, lock out cliches...

I just want to see it from this defense. My word, they've played like pansies the last two years. They just get pushed around, they don't cause turnovers, they don't attack.

I am sooooooo sick of bend but don't break defenses that constantly break. At this point I would take a Greg Robinson defense.

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I am sooooooo sick of bend but don't break defenses that constantly break. At this point I would take a Greg Robinson defense.

"Should I blitz, what do you want me to do?"
"Just do what you normally would do during the season."
"Blitz?"
"Yeah, what you would normally do."
"Ok, ok."

:championship:

underrated29
06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
"Blitz?"
"Ok, ok."

Then give us your best jamie winborn after you tackle the runningback for a 12 yard gain.

SOCALORADO.
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
"Blitz?"
"Ok, ok."

Ah. those were the days....
i couldnt even watch that game with anyone else. I had to go into another room, and pace back and forth from TV to TV. I was so freakin stressed.

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Fox said. "We were 13th in the league in total offense, I think we were seventh in passing and down a little lower in the run game. I think when we balance that a little bit more it will be more conducive to points because it makes you more effective in the red area.

It sure do!

nevcraw
06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Greg Robisnon defense worked well because we were scoring pinball like points..

when that ended so did his defense..

Ravage!!!
06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Greg Robisnon defense worked well because we were scoring pinball like points..

when that ended so did his defense..

So do MOST defenses. Defense needs the offense to score points. It helps the defense in many ways, especially if you are ahead.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-02-2011, 02:22 PM
So do MOST defenses. Defense needs the offense to score points. It helps the defense in many ways, especially if you are ahead.

See also: the Indianapolis Colts of the past decade. Get the lead, rush the passer, win your division every year...

slim
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Talk is cheap.

My feet are firmly planted in the state of Missouri.

Dreadnought
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Robinson's defense did one thing well, which was to periodically cause opponents to have bad stuff happen to their drives. Turnovers, sacks...and the downside was sometimes giving a Ryan Leaf a 300 yard day :lol:

That said, it was far more watchable than the unimaginative baby-soft mess we watched under Jim Bates and Wink Martindale. At least they made bad stuff happen to an opponent sometimes.