PDA

View Full Version : About Kyle Orton's Arm . . .

topscribe
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I was challenged, and even called a liar, about a QB passing contest in which
Orton participated as a senior. I claimed he threw for 74 yards in that contest.
Well, I was wrong: He threw for 72. Not exaggeration. Just bad memory.

Anyhow, I ran across this as I was casually reading an SI article written on
4 October 2004. (I wasn't particularly looking for it.)

I'll let it speak for itself:

Orton's ability to manage a game is complemented by his scary-strong right arm. Twice he has torn the webbing between the fingers of roommate Eric Lilly, a football team manager who gamely volunteers to catch passes from Orton before practice. As a 17-year-old at a Purdue quarterback camp in 2000, Orton won the long-pass contest with a heave of 72 yards, about seven better than the next-best toss. The runner-up? Camp counselor Jon Kitna, then the Seattle Seahawks starter.

Retrieved 1 June 2011 from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1106322/index.htm

I put this in a new thread so everyone could see I wasn't making something
up.

-----

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
It had a hang time of 8.7 seconds too....

BroncoWave
06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
He probably twisted his ankle after he threw it...

broncohead
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Just like players who run fast 40s but it doesn't show on the field or run slow but play fast. It doest show on the field. I don't think he has a weak arm but by no means does it look like a 72yd or tear your hands up arm

chazoe60
06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the weak arm myth was debunked this season when he led the league or was close to the lead in long completions.

Doesn't mean I want him as our QB, but I'm not going to deny truths when they stare me in the face either. Orton's arm strength is not an issue.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM
One thing here.....

IF Kyle's arm (shown this year to be one of the BESTEST Deep balls EVER!!!!!!), is so strong......

"How if the O-line was so terrible that Kyle was running for his life each and every play, did he have time to throw the deep pass which by law's of nature take so long to develop"?????

which is it?

"Running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped" OR..,..." Kyle had time to sit and wait for his recievers to run a 40 yard, NOT straight route.... taking time to see that each reciever was open... then throwing the ball ALL the while not being sacked"

C'mon Orton fan club...explain this

topscribe
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I think the weak arm myth was debunked this season when he led the league or was close to the lead in long completions.

Doesn't mean I want him as our QB, but I'm not going to deny truths when they stare me in the face either. Orton's arm strength is not an issue.

I know it wasn't an issue with you, but it was with certain others. But the main
issue with me here is that my veracity was challenged.

However, I agree with you that a strong arm in itself does not assure that a
quarterback is a good one. After all, a couple of the strongest arms I have ever
seen belonged to Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell . . .

-----

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a great movie series bra!

Kyle Orton's Arm Does Jack Daniels! Kyle Orton's Arm Does Debbie!

Oh yeah!

Bosco
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
This is another one of those things that people just won't accept. You can post scouting reports, video evidence, player testimony and a thousand other things and you will still be wrong, because they have made up their mind.

slim
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
They way people around here were acting when the trade went down, you would have thought he was incapable of throwing the ball 5 yards.

Idiots.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
They way people around here were acting when the trade went down, you would have thought he was incapable of throwing the ball 5 yards.

Idiots.

JUST on third downs....

First and Second downs.. his arm is fine. Its that pesky third down where his CAREER qb Rating for 6 ( SIX) years is at a stellar 60.3

slim
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
JUST on third downs....

First and Second downs.. his arm is fine. Its that pesky third down where his CAREER qb Rating for 6 ( SIX) years is at a stellar 60.3

What does that have to do with arm strength?

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Well..... since we were at "3rd and long" all year.... arm strength would then be a factor right?

Because as you know....."Kyle led the NFL in pass plays OVER 40 yards"

he juist didnt do it on third downs..... making 35% of them this year

topscribe
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Idiots.

As you expressed in another thread, I, too, am getting where I may be glad
Orton is traded. He is a damned good QB, IMO, who has deserved none of the
garbage that has been thrown in his face almost since he first arrived in Denver.

If he indeed is traded, I would love for him to come here to Arizona. That would
instantly make the Cardinals my second team - even after I have hated them
all these years . . .

-----

slim
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Well..... since we were at "3rd and long" all year.... arm strength would then be a factor right?
Because as you know....."Kyle led the NFL in pass plays OVER 40 yards"

he juist didnt do it on third downs..... making 35% of them this year

Wrong.

slim
06-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Wrong.

Unless all of those 3rd and longs were 3rd and 60s....but I don't seem to recall any of those.

slim
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
As you expressed in another thread, I, too, am getting where I may be glad
Orton is traded. He is a damned good QB, IMO, who has deserved none of the
garbage that has been thrown in his face almost since he first arrived in Denver.

If he indeed is traded, I would love for him to come here to Arizona. That would
instantly make the Cardinals my second team - even after I have hated them
all these years . . .

-----

The Cardinals could do worse.

I think Kyle would be better off in Min, though.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Wrong.

oH.. he's just terrible on third downs..... ok

Too bad, guess we need a quarterback who plays all three downs.

topscribe
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM

After the Orton to Lloyd show, I just wonder what the Orton to Fitzgerald show
would provide for them . . .

-----

slim
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
oH.. he's just terrible on third downs..... ok

Too bad, guess we need a quarterback who plays all three downs.

Your insight is captivating.

So which is it? Does he have a weak arm or is he "just terrible"?

D1g1tal j1m
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I think that Orton has an average NFL arm in terms of if he is able to step into his throws without defenders surrounding him.
The problem is that when he is flushed from the pocket or are otherwise unable to step into his throws he doesn't have the pure arm strength alone to get it to his WR 20 yards down the field without a defender getting the opportunity to break on the ball. Also, the ankle injury and breakdown of some of his mechanics (due to playing earlier in his career) has affected his velocity.

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I think his needle is stuck....is stuck....is stuck....

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM

With ponder behind him? Nah....Miami.

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM

-----

Orton to bm show(if he's still there).

topscribe
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
With ponder behind him? Nah....Miami.

Ugh . . . that would be bad for him. Another team with problems . . .

. . . beginning with Marshall . . .

-----

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Your insight is captivating.

So which is it? Does he have a weak arm or is he "just terrible"?

Well....

Since he "had the most 40 yard passing plays in the NFL this year"...

which is it.....

do our wideouts ONLY drop passes on third downs??? Or does Kyle suck?

I wait with baited breath for your reply on this... really I do!!!!!:beer:

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Well....

Since he "had the most 40 yard passing plays in the NFL this year"...

which is it.....

do our wideouts ONLY drop passes on third downs??? Or does Kyle suck?

I wait with baited breath for your reply on this... really I do!!!!!:beer:

I don't really think that's as easy as either/or...:confused:

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't really think that's as easy as either/or...:confused:

Nope... with kyle its loss, loss, loss, loss, loss...... hurt knee, hurt ankle, hurt.... uvula

cardoso
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Lol at people trying to post 7 year articles about one throw a guy made back in college. the desperation in Orton fans is hilarious! He was ran out of Chicago for a reason and he's being ran out of Denver for a reason. orton has been in the league for quite a time now and there's plenty of evidence to show that he ummmmm sucks! where was that ARM strength when he bounced a 10 yard pass on 4th down to Lloyd vs the colts that cost us the game? this subscribe guy is pretty funny. he goes digging up 7 year old articles to try to make a case for orton lol you don't just come across 7 year old articles you search for those. maybe orton fans can be packaged and shipped with him as part of the deal with whatever teams he gets sent to.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I read all of these threads in regards to Kyle, and TT, and think - I hope that WHOEVER is the QB for the Broncos will have success - REGARDLESS who it is.

topscribe
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Lol at people trying to post 7 year articles about one throw a guy made back in college. the desperation in Orton fans is hilarious! He was ran out of Chicago for a reason and he's being ran out of Denver for a reason. orton has been in the league for quite a time now and there's plenty of evidence to show that he ummmmm sucks! where was that ARM strength when he bounced a 10 yard pass on 4th down to Lloyd vs the colts that cost us the game? this subscribe guy is pretty funny. he goes digging up 7 year old articles to try to make a case for orton lol you don't just come across 7 year old articles you search for those. maybe orton fans can be packaged and shipped with him as part of the deal with whatever teams he gets sent to.

I don't have to search for them. I have an extensive library. If I say I was
casually reading, then I was casually reading. I don't need a glorified troll
implying that I'm a liar.

Meanwhile, have you considered taking a class in English grammar?

-----

cardoso
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I read all of these threads in regards to Kyle, and TT, and think - I hope that WHOEVER is the QB for the Broncos will have success - REGARDLESS who it is.

Well if u add up the broncos win loss record the last two years you'll see orton isn't the guy to win us games.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I've never said he has weak arm but throwing a ball 72 yard once over 10 years ago doesn't mean anything.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Well if u add up the broncos win loss record the last two years you'll see orton isn't the guy to win us games.

But he can throw it 78 yards on a rope.......
Just not on third downs when his career comp % is LESS than 50

I mean.. golly.... he has a "Slim" chance of completing a pass on third down no matter HOW strong his arm is.

topscribe
06-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Here we go again . . .

lz_B8JP2pA8

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/BIGrofl2-1.gif

-----

Agent of Orange
Orton participated as a senior. I claimed he threw for 74 yards in that contest.

Retrieved 1 June 2011 from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1106322/index.htm

up.

-----

When Orton's health was being questioned later in the season, wasn't his rebuttal something about throwing the ball 75 yards the previous week?

I guess everyone forgot about this comment because when Tebow outperformed Orton over the last 3 games, no one cared how far Orton could throw it.

BroncoJoe
I once threw a ball 67 yards in High School. But I'm a lefty, so I could never pursue a career in football.

cardoso
I don't have to search for them. I have an extensive library. If I say I was
casually reading, then I was casually reading. I don't need a glorified troll
implying that I'm a liar.

Meanwhile, have you considered taking a class in English grammar?

-----

Nope. Even if I was on a desktop and not my cell phone I wouldn't care about you grammar police. Now keep "casually" coming across 7 year old articles lol if thats what makes a man feel better about himself then go for it.

Bottom line orton is about to be traded for the 2nd time in his young career and its for a reason........HE SUCKS! start packing your bags you'll have a new team soon.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh crap..... now you have done it....

Seems besides filming other teams, Josh left Kyle off the "NFL injury report" untill...well.......... after he really started sucking.

again

cardoso
I once threw a ball 67 yards in High School. But I'm a lefty, so I could never pursue a career in football.

I once threw a football over them mountains

TXBRONC

Did you sprain your ankle in the process?

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Nope. Even if I was on a desktop and not my cell phone I wouldn't care about you grammar police. Now keep "casually" coming across 7 year old articles lol if thats what makes a man feel better about himself then go for it.

Bottom line orton is about to be traded for the 2nd time in his young career and its for a reason........HE SUCKS! start packing your bags you'll have a new team soon.

I saw the first game the Broncos ever played, son. How old were you then?

And so we have another mastermind on the board: "Duh! He SUKS!!" http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/BIGrofl2-1.gif

-----

Juriga72

This one time at band camp Kyle.......

Agent of Orange

Lefties have a natural curve. So, if it hadnt snaked, you probably would have hit the big 7-0.

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I once threw a football over them mountains

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/BIGrofl2-1.gif

------

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I saw the first game the Broncos ever played, son. How old were you then?

And so we have another mastermind on the board: "Duh! He SUKS!!" http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/BIGrofl2-1.gif

-----

That just means you're old...probably too old.

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
But he can throw it 78 yards on a rope.......
Just not on third downs when his career comp % is LESS than 50

I mean.. golly.... he has a "Slim" chance of completing a pass on third down no matter HOW strong his arm is.

He once threw a football 70 yards while vomiting in a flower pot in Vegas.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I once saw a guy saw a women in half..... and then Kyle had a high ankle sprain

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I see there are some people posting like crazy in this thread.

I'll bet they would just love for me to be able to see their posts so they could take up their arguments with me. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/laughing-478.gif

-----

cardoso
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Did you sprain your ankle in the process?

No but I was once sacke d by a fingertip

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM

I'll bet they would just love for me to be able to see their posts so they could take up their arguments with me. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/laughing-478.gif

-----

Doesnt matter. Even if you did see them, it wouldnt stop you from being a pinata.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:09 PM

-----

THATS it.... your on my Iggy list.......

"Checking Topscribe onto iggy list".....check

Muhhaaahhhwwwaaaaaaaa.... he'll never know he's on my iggy list!!!!

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
THATS it.... your on my Iggy list.......

"Checking Topscribe onto iggy list".....check

Muhhaaahhhwwwaaaaaaaa.... he'll never know he's on my iggy list!!!!

Well you sure showed him where the bear sleeps. :lol:

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
This message is hidden because Agent of Orange is on your ignore list.

his message is hidden because Juriga72 is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because cardoso is on your ignore list. (NEW!)

Have a good time, kiddies! :D

-----

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

-----

Come on Top you're a walking saddle bag. I know your skin is tougher than that. :D

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

-----

Like we don't know he's looking at our posts. He's clearly bothered by them which is why he's going out of his way to mention that we're on his list.

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Come on Top you're a walking saddle bag. I know your skin is tougher than that. :D

Aw, I just don't like hanging out in Romper Room.

You're more my style, TX. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

-----

"THIS message is hidden because old people need to sleep when the sun is still out"

Besides... they always know where the best buffets are!!! and they eat dinner at 3pm

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM

You're more my style, TX. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

I loved Romper Room when I was kid. :nod:

topscribe
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM

-----

Seriously, TX, through Iggy, you can choose your company. Pretty cool.

Ever thought of that? :nod:

-----

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Seriously, TX, through Iggy, you can choose your company. Pretty cool.

Ever thought of that? :nod:

-----

I've used it before.

But it's not for me. :salute:

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Anyway. I like where this thread went. It started out with the original poster bragging about being "right" and ended with him hiding from the mean people.

cardoso
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
this message is hidden because topscribe is on your guy that tried to be funny but isn't list

this message is hidden because topscribe is on your too old to read without glasses list

Juriga72
I loved Romper Room when I was kid. :nod:

Ms. Sally...... oh and that mirror thing.....

"I see......."
Topscribe.... Rcdosck....... Juriga..... GEM..... oh and TXBronc......."

Agent of Orange
I've used it before.

But it's not for me. :salute:

Would you say that its not your style?

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Ms. Sally...... oh and that mirror thing.....

"I see......."
Topscribe.... Rcdosck....... Juriga..... GEM..... oh and TXBronc......."

You dissin me Jur? :viking:

Oh I just saw that you included yourself never mind. :D

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Would you say that its not your style?

If its your style you also have:
Harvest Gold appliances
wall to wall shag carpet
Disco Glow ball
Bell bottom jeans
77 Pinto
a wheel to wheel recorder
Speakers the size of Ryan Clady

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
You dissin me Jur? :viking:

No way..... Ms. Sally ALWAYS picked out "My favorite" as the last kid....

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Harvest Gold appliances
wall to wall shag carpet
Disco Glow ball
Bell bottom jeans
77 Pinto

...macrame?

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Harvest Gold appliances
wall to wall shag carpet
Disco Glow ball
Bell bottom jeans
77 Pinto

My bought a '71 Pinto when I was a kid.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
...macrame?

IIRC... Top LOVED... just loved watching Bancek... just waiting for those polish proverbs to come out

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
My bought a '71 Pinto when I was a kid.

I had a 63 Volkswagon that I traded straight up for a 71 pinto with 6k miles.....lol

and I was taken.... taken

Not even Sabrina Duncan could make that car sexy...

cardoso
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I just had this visual of top scribe walking down the street with kids pickin on him and top scribe plugging his ears with his fingers and yelling "I can't hear you! I can't hear you I can't hear you" :lol:

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
I just had this visual of top scribe walking down the street with kids pickin on him and top scribe plugging his ears with his fingers and yelling "I can't hear you! I can't hear you I can't hear you" :lol:

His mom telling him....."They only make fun of you because they like you"....

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:39 PM

I think his thread creation just went from a 2 step to a 3 step process.

It was:

1. Access Broncosforums
2. Create thread

Now its:
1. Access Broncosforums
2. See if Juriga, Cardoso, or AoO are online
3. If no, create thread

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
No but I was once sacke d by a fingertip
Favre didn't need that much

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 07:41 PM

-----

You tooo?

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Neither does Orton at times.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
You tooo?

This message is hidden because...well...... just cause some people are a flaming fool who think monkeys are sexy

rcsodak
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

And guess who the KIDS are.

cardoso
06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

This message is hidden because rcsodak is on your I hate monkeys list

Agent of Orange
06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
This thread's a classic.

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
This thread's a classic.

You don't know classic.

:coffee:

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Jen Sterger thinks so....

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM

GEM has a ID that states she's 21....

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
GEM has a ID that states she's 21....

Ask her about midget strippers. But do it in the Lounge.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Ask her about midget strippers. But do it in the Lounge.

This cannot end well....... no way

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
This cannot end well....... no way

For the midget or for GEM?

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Dude... the midget.. have you seen GEM? She eats midgets for lunch

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM

I've seen pictures of her. Anyway if she eats midgets for lunch it's only because he has two boys to keep up with.

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 08:37 PM

I've seen pictures of her. Anyway if she eats midgets for lunch it's only because he has two boys to keep up with.

:tsk:

Not a clue...

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
:tsk:

Not a clue...

What's this about?

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 08:53 PM
What's this about?

Oh, no biggie, he was just talking about epic threads and epic things, and he has no clue...

That's it...that's all...

Kyle Orton's Arm Throws Seventy Yards!

P.S. I'll put it this way. There's a thread in lounge about asking the Midget a question. Ask a question. It might get answered. (I tried be subtle...)

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh, no biggie, he was just talking about epic threads and epic things, and he has no clue...

That's it...that's all...

Kyle Orton's Arm Throws Seventy Yards!

GEM will eat midgets like Kyle throws 70 yard passes......

once a day

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Mallett threw the ball 87 yards for perspective. Gabbert threw it 79 prior to his freshman season at Mizzou.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Mallett threw the ball 87 yards for perspective. Gabbert threw it 79 prior to his freshman season at Mizzou.

GEM had 9 guys crawl 900 yards... just to rub her feet

topscribe
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Also, Peyton Manning threw it 68 yards and Tom Brady 67 yards in the 2002 NFL
QB Challenge. In another Challenge, Brett Favre threw it 77 yards.

But where did you get the 87 yards bit? That is an awful long way for a human
arm . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
O.m.g.

robert ethan
06-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Also, Peyton Manning threw it 68 yards and Tom Brady 67 yards in the 2002 NFL
QB Challenge. In another Challenge, Brett Favre threw it 77 yards.

But where did you get the 87 yards bit? That is an awful long way for a human
arm . . .

-----Can't find it now. The only thing I could find was him saying that he could throw it over 80 yards. So maybe it's urban myth. Also, Gabbert was 78, but that was when he was in high school.

Superchop 7
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Wind aided by a microburst.

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 07:47 AM

-----

3 wins

1 million excuses

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 07:54 AM

up.

-----

Kitna threw it 65 yards, Manning threw a longball 68 yards, Elway threw a ball 75 yards, Randall Cunningham supposedly threw a ball 80 yards, Ryan Leaf threw a ball 68 yards, Jake Plummer threw a ball 67 yards, Vince Young threw a ball 65 yards...

A lot of guys, in fact, MOST guys in the NFL can throw a ball in the range of 65-70 yards, especially when they're younger like that. It isn't the end-all measure of arm strength.

You can't tell me that Kyle Orton would line up next to Jay Cutler (who might toss a deep ball 75 yards, who knows) and throw a 20 yard out with the same velocity or accuracy. OR a 45 yard post against the wind. It just isn't going to happen. Manning and Brady both can sit and the pocket and heave balls downfield with more zip and velocity than Orton does. The difference is OBVIOUS, even on television.

Orton got a LOT better this past season of throwing downfield and probably broke the checkdown mold he had been put into, but I would seriously doubt that he can throw a ball today the way he did at 17 years old. If he can it just doesn't show up in games. I haven't seen him throw a ball much over 50 yards since coming to the NFL.

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Still no answer from the Orton Mafia about "How if Kyle was running for his life behind a terrible O-line..... HOW did he lead the NFL in passes that take the most time to develop" question...

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Still no answer from the Orton Mafia about "How if Kyle was running for his life behind a terrible O-line..... HOW did he lead the NFL in passes that take the most time to develop" question...

It's an interesting question, but I'm guessing it came from the play action passes and go routes to Lloyd. Those don't take a lot of time to develop. And he certainly was helped out by the acrobatics of Lloyd.

But its not the O-Line sucks or Orton sucks. It's not that simple. The offensive line was middle of the road last year, and Orton was middle of the road last year. It's not a black and white issue. Especially later in the season, Orton looked like he was rushing, because he thought he was going to be hit, even though he wasn't going to be hit, and that's on him.

It reminded me of the way Plummer was rushing throws and panicking when he knew there was a rookie looking over his shoulder for his job.

BigDaddyBronco
06-02-2011, 09:06 AM
It's an interesting question, but I'm guessing it came from the play action passes and go routes to Lloyd. Those don't take a lot of time to develop. And he certainly was helped out by the acrobatics of Lloyd.

But its not the O-Line sucks or Orton sucks. It's not that simple. The offensive line was middle of the road last year, and Orton was middle of the road last year. It's not a black and white issue. Especially later in the season, Orton looked like he was rushing, because he thought he was going to be hit, even though he wasn't going to be hit, and that's on him.

It reminded me of the way Plummer was rushing throws and panicking when he knew there was a rookie looking over his shoulder for his job.
And most of the time when Orton was running for his life was 3rd and long, because on 1st they threw a bubble screen that didn't work, and on 2nd Moreno ran for 0.7 yds. Orton is not a great QB, but he was hampered by atrocious play calling and an anemic running game.

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 09:11 AM
And most of the time when Orton was running for his life was 3rd and long, because on 1st they threw a bubble screen that didn't work, and on 2nd Moreno ran for 0.7 yds. Orton is not a great QB, but he was hampered by atrocious play calling and an anemic running game.

If I had to bet, I would bet that a lot of the 40+ plays came on first or second down, after the team had gained a first down. You get a little momentum going and you can make the big play happen.

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM

I just didn't like McDaniels offense. Considering how he talked it up the way he did I wasn't impressed by it. Sure it helped Orton (and Tebow to an extent) put up good numbers, but it wasn't designed to wear down defenses and win games in the 4th quarter. Orton isn't a guy who is good playing a close game or when his team is behind, he just lacks that ability. There were times when the offense clicked, but mostly it just seemed jumbled to me.

The offensive line really came together towards the end of the season and when Josh was fired the schemes became more about throwing in smart runs, and when Tebow came in we were able to see what a QB with mobility can do in a similar style system and how it opens up the playaction bootlegs and the running game. It's always good to have as many threats to make plays as possible.

BigDaddyBronco
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I just didn't like McDaniels offense. Considering how he talked it up the way he did I wasn't impressed by it. Sure it helped Orton (and Tebow to an extent) put up good numbers, but it wasn't designed to wear down defenses and win games in the 4th quarter. Orton isn't a guy who is good playing a close game or when his team is behind, he just lacks that ability. There were times when the offense clicked, but mostly it just seemed jumbled to me.

The offensive line really came together towards the end of the season and when Josh was fired the schemes became more about throwing in smart runs, and when Tebow came in we were able to see what a QB with mobility can do in a similar style system and how it opens up the playaction bootlegs and the running game. It's always good to have as many threats to make plays as possible.
Ditto. It had some big play potential for sure, but it really lacked a ball control aspect. I guess if you had Tom Brady and Wes Welker, you can use that short passing game and a mix of running backs to generate short yardage, but it just didn't work with the Broncos personnel.

I thought it was still a little jumbled after McD was fired and Tebow was running it, but Tebow was able to improvise and his running ability bought time or he ran for 1st downs. If they can mix that ability and a strong running game, the offense should be able to hold onto the ball helping the defense not wear down.

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Ditto. It had some big play potential for sure, but it really lacked a ball control aspect. I guess if you had Tom Brady and Wes Welker, you can use that short passing game and a mix of running backs to generate short yardage, but it just didn't work with the Broncos personnel.

I thought it was still a little jumbled after McD was fired and Tebow was running it, but Tebow was able to improvise and his running ability bought time or he ran for 1st downs. If they can mix that ability and a strong running game, the offense should be able to hold onto the ball helping the defense not wear down.

Its funny how this was the very problem Shanny had his last years here....

Moved the ball very well... and didnt score.

Hmmmmmm Didn't people blame a young quarterback for this problem too?

Ravage!!!
06-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Guys, its a thread trying to tell us how 'strong' Kyle's arm is. How can you continue to take this seriously?

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Guys, its a thread trying to tell us how 'strong' Kyle's arm is. How can you continue to take this seriously?

Kyle's arm DID take him all the way to the bench this year....... thats HUGE

topscribe
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM

That is essentially what they did in 2009. And then people were griping about
the "dink and dunk" offense . . .

-----

turftoad
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Brandon Lloyd was the most targeted WR in the league for long balls last year. He wasn't even in the top ten for completion percentage on those attempts. Who gets the blame for that?

topscribe
06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Brandon Lloyd was the most targeted WR in the league for long balls last year. He wasn't even in the top ten for completion percentage on those attempts. Who gets the blame for that?

I don't know . . . who?

Are we in for another skim-the-surface glance and then a conclusion?

BTW, I'd like to get a closer look at the documentation behind that. Got a link?

-----

turftoad
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't know . . . who?

Are we in for another skim-the-surface glance and then a conclusion?

BTW, I'd like to get a closer look at the documentation behind that. Got a link?

-----

This is kind of interesting.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=593792

LawDog
06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I had a 63 Volkswagon that I traded straight up for a 71 pinto with 6k miles.....lol

and I was taken.... taken

Not even Sabrina Duncan could make that car sexy...

Just for clarification, Sabrina didn't drive a Pinto, she drove a Mustang II (which is in itself another story and an affront to all other "real" Mustangs, but didn't have a tendancy to blow up on impact). Also, Sabrina could make a Yugo sexy...

Edit: because I'm a stickler for accuracy, I self-checked my claim. I thought all three of them had the Mustang II's, but only two out of the three did, Sabrina in fact drove an orange Pinto. Please accept my apologies...

topscribe
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
This is kind of interesting.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=593792

That is interesting. I noticed that out of the 12 top players listed in catching
percentage, only three were among the top 10 targeted. Did you catch that?

Also, did you notice another Bronco in the top 10 in catching percentage?

It is also interesting that Lloyd dominates the categories, placing first in three
of them and tied for third in another.

For the rest of the story, I think one would have to go to the game films . . .

-----

turftoad
06-02-2011, 01:05 PM
That is interesting. I noticed that out of the 12 top players listed in catching

It is also interesting that Lloyd dominates the categories, placing first in three

-----

It was McFired's offensive system that boosts those stats. Didn't do him much good did it?

topscribe
06-02-2011, 01:08 PM
It was McFired's offensive system that boosts those stats. Didn't do him much good did it?

:confused:

Whatever, Toad . . .

-----

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
HMMMMMM
I saw Johhny Knox had LESS than 32 "Deep passes thrown at him" and yet still caught 11 "Deep Passes".......

Who's HIS qb?

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM
just for clarification, sabrina didn't drive a pinto, she drove a mustang ii (which is in itself another story and an affront to all other "real" mustangs, but didn't have a tendancy to blow up on impact). Also, sabrina could make a yugo sexy...

Edit: Because i'm a stickler for accuracy, i self-checked my claim. I thought all three of them had the mustang ii's, but only two out of the three did, sabrina in fact drove an orange pinto. Please accept my apologies...

lol

slim
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
HMMMMMM
I saw Johhny Knox had LESS than 32 "Deep passes thrown at him" and yet still caught 11 "Deep Passes".......

Who's HIS qb?

How did you get 32? It looks more like 26 or 27 (42%)

At any rate, BL's rate was 41%.

Although your math is fuzzy, so is your logic. I appreciate the consistency.

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
How did you get 32? It looks more like 26 or 27 (42%)

At any rate, BL's rate was 41%.

Although your math is fuzzy, so is your logic. I appreciate the consistency.

Uh.... How would you like to re-take 1st grade there Sparky?

Its called R E A D I N G

a group of letters arraigned left to right, top to bottom

•Wide Receivers, Targets on Deep Passes, 2010

•1t Brandon Lloyd DEN 41

•1t Calvin Johnson DET 41

•3t Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 37

•3t Mike Wallace PIT 37

•5t Greg Jennings GB 36

•5t Reggie Wayne IND 36

•7t Braylon Edwards NYJ 33

•7t Dwayne Bowe KC 33

•9t Mike A. Williams TB 32

•9t Nate Washington TEN 32

See..... Mike W and Nate W... are #9 with "32 deep passes thrown at them"

NOW ( this is where I am going to lose you I can tell), because Johnny Knox is not ON this list........... (Carefulll this will hurt the brain matter)..... Johnny Knox had LESS than 32 balls thrown at him.

I know... just know you hate it when you are proven yet again wrong....

slim
06-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Uh.... How would you like to re-take 1st grade there Sparky?

Its called R E A D I N G

a group of letters arraigned left to right, top to bottom

•Wide Receivers, Targets on Deep Passes, 2010

•1t Brandon Lloyd DEN 41

•1t Calvin Johnson DET 41

•3t Larry Fitzgerald ARZ 37

•3t Mike Wallace PIT 37

•5t Greg Jennings GB 36

•5t Reggie Wayne IND 36

•7t Braylon Edwards NYJ 33

•7t Dwayne Bowe KC 33

•9t Mike A. Williams TB 32

•9t Nate Washington TEN 32

See..... Mike W and Nate W... are #9 with "32 deep passes thrown at them"

NOW ( this is where I am going to lose you I can tell), because Johnny Knox is not ON this list........... (Carefulll this will hurt the brain matter)..... Johnny Knox had LESS than 32 balls thrown at him.

I know... just know you hate it when you are proven yet again wrong....

You are right, missed the word LESS in your post. My bad.

At any rate, that outstanding long-ball catch % you were so happy about is basically the same as BL's

Who was BL's QB?

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM

-----

Your quest to justify Kyle Orton know no bounds... :laugh:

It is the SYSTEM that made Orton appear decent, that system helped Denver win 3 games in 2010, got the coach fired and a total reorganization of the front office that followed.

By the way, it was Lloyd making all the circus one-hand catches, I didn't see him drop many deep passes. Tebow even utilized his skills.

NorCalBronco7
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM
It had a hang time of 8.7 seconds too....

Orton doesnt have much velocity when throwing the ball. But he is capable of getting the ball downfield, something no Broncos fan thought was possible until last year.

Top, I disagree Orton has a "strong" arm, imo he has a better than average arm.

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Your quest to justify Kyle Orton know no bounds... :laugh:

It is the SYSTEM that made Orton appear decent, that system helped Denver win 3 games in 2010, got the coach fired and a total reorganization of the front office that followed.

By the way, it was Lloyd making all the circus one-hand catches, I didn't see him drop many deep passes. Tebow even utilized his skills.

So you're saying all nfl players are only as good as their scheme?

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
You are right, missed the word LESS in your post. My bad.

At any rate, that outstanding long-ball catch % you were so happy about is basically the same as BL's

Who was BL's QB?

BL dropped/overthrown/missed 24 balls (see thats where you take 41-17 = 24 balls NOT caught)

I so want to see more of that......!!!! Deep non-catches leading the NFL!!!! WOOT!!!!!

Speaking of Fuzzy math.......thats it right there.... somehow missing on 24 deep passes means so much with a 4-12 year

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:43 PM

See Jay Cutler in his third system in three years....

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 01:44 PM

No, I am saying that MOST are only as good as their system and they're called "system players"...

There are guys like Elway who will succeed no matter what system they play in because they are simply BETTER than their opposition and have the physical and mental ability to overcome adversity.

Orton is NOT one of those guys. He's a spread guy, his only real success since going to Purdue has come from the spread, and I wouldn't call 2010 a success for Kyle Orton.

topscribe
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Orton doesnt have much velocity when throwing the ball. But he is capable of getting the ball downfield, something no Broncos fan thought was possible until last year.

Top, I disagree Orton has a "strong" arm, imo he has a better than average arm.

Well, now we're getting into semantics. What is "strong"?

However, I know Orton's history. He was recruited by Purdue because they
wanted a quarterback with a "strong" arm. In another publication (please don't
ask me to produce it: I don't remember exactly where now), Orton was regarded
as having the strongest arm in the Big 10.

He was then drafted in the 4th round by the Bears, and one of the reasons they
gave was this "strong arm." I produced on this board an SI article that
described his arm as "scary-strong."

I'm not giving my opinion here on this specific issue. I am only repeating what
I have read and heard in my exhaustive research of Orton.

Regarding his velocity in throwing the ball, Orton doesn't use his velocity
unless he needs it. I have read about that, too: He is more concerned about
making it "catchable." And he has been complimented many times by his
receivers about his "catchable" ball. But he can put some mustard on it when
he needs it. I've seen him to it.

-----

slim
06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
BL dropped/overthrown/missed 24 balls (see thats where you take 41-17 = 24 balls NOT caught)

I so want to see more of that......!!!! Deep non-catches leading the NFL!!!! WOOT!!!!!

Speaking of Fuzzy math.......thats it right there.... somehow missing on 24 deep passes means so much with a 4-12 year

I see. So a 42% catch rate for Mr. Knox is something to behold, but a 41% rate for BL is not good enough?

:fuzzylogic:

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I see. So a 42% catch rate for Mr. Knox is something to behold, but a 41% rate for BL is not good enough?

:fuzzylogic:

What part of the 24 MISSED plays dont you seem to understand?

Leading the NFL in missed plays.... NOT good in case you cannot fathom things... Kinda like missing the word "LESS" when its capitalized.

Kinda like Kyle leading the NFL in "Almost 4th quarter comebacks"

NorCalBronco7
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM

-----

The Patriots game in 09' the Broncos won was one of the few games Ive seen where Orton had good velocity on the ball. But other than a handful of games, Orton doesnt have much velocity in his throws. I really do agree with you in that he does his best to throw catchable balls.

slim
06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
What part of the 24 MISSED plays dont you seem to understand?

Leading the NFL in missed plays.... NOT good in case you cannot fathom things... Kinda like missing the word "LESS" when its capitalized.

Kinda like Kyle leading the NFL in "Almost 4th quarter comebacks"

Wait, your the one that said a 42% catch rate for Mr. Knox was impressive.

You do understand how ratios work, right?

NightTerror218
06-02-2011, 01:56 PM

I wonder how many of those were actually "catchable" missed balls?

topscribe
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
The Patriots game in 09' the Broncos won was one of the few games Ive seen where Orton had good velocity on the ball. But other than a handful of games, Orton doesnt have much velocity in his throws. I really do agree with you in that he does his best to throw catchable balls.

Exactly. And that is why you don't see that velocity a lot.

Another place was the final play of a Raiders game when Orton threw it down
the middle to Scheffler. The pass went about 30 yards, and I'll bet it didn't go
over 10 feet off the ground.

Then there was a TD pass he threw into tight coverage from about the 10. I
remember the color commentator saying something to the effect of, "Wow! That
pass had smoke coming off it!"

He can do it when he chooses to . . .

-----

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I wonder how many of those were actually "catchable" missed balls?

See...... THIS is what I am talking about. I know we sucked at 3rd downs ALL year long.....

So IF we go:
Run 1 yard
run 1 yard

3rd and 8

IF we go
Deep pass inc
run 2 yards

3rd and 8 STILL....

those 24 non caught (JUST BL alone) passes gained HOW many yards again?

Leading the NFL in "Deep uncompleted pass plays" is good to a team that struggles on 3rd downs how again?

slim
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
See...... THIS is what I am talking about. I know we sucked at 3rd downs ALL year long.....

So IF we go:
Run 1 yard
run 1 yard

3rd and 8

IF we go
Deep pass inc
run 2 yards

3rd and 8 STILL....

Leading the NFL in "Deep uncompleted pass plays" is good to a team that struggles on 3rd downs how again?

So your argument is that incomplete passes are detrimental to an offense?

Good point.

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Good point.

Wow....... Your thong is closing off the oxygen to your head there......

"LESS" ( get it...the word you cant read) deep balls in a offense that is struggling is better...get it?

Here's a really hard thing to understand......ok

4-12 means that we are not good. converting LESS (there's that tricky word again) than 1 out of every 3 3rd downs is not good

I know its hard to understand all this logic..... Really, you might have to go take a nap soon, but...........

Shorter passes have a MUCH higher completion rate-:welcome:

slim
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Wow....... Your thong is closing off the oxygen to your head there......

"LESS" ( get it...the word you cant read) deep balls in a offense that is struggling is better...get it?

Here's a really hard thing to understand......ok

4-12 means that we are not good. converting LESS (there's that tricky word again) than 1 out of every 3 3rd downs is not good

I know its hard to understand all this logic..... Really, you might have to go take a nap soon, but...........

Shorter passes have a MUCH higher completion rate-:welcome:

Try and focus.

First you were touting the exemplary long-catch % of one Mr. Knox (in order to prop up Jay Cutler). You were called on it, so you tried to change your argument to some nonsense about number of incomplete long balls. You were called on that and now want to discuss 3rd conversion rates?

I think we are done here.

Juriga72
06-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Good point.

Try and focus.

First you were touting the exemplary long-catch % of one Mr. Knox (in order to prop up Jay Cutler). You were called on it, so you tried to change your argument to some nonsense about number of incomplete long balls. You were called on that and now want to discuss 3rd conversion rates?

First off YOU missed the entire premise ( big word...like LESS) of my post...

Seems Kyle has such a strong arm he led the NFL in passes completed deep.... ONLY it took him tons more attempts to COMPLETE that many passes

I know its hard to keep up here, but 17 passes caught is ONLY 6 more than Knox had ALL year

Knox- 5th round pick ( FOR Kyle I might add too) Second year in NFL- was 6 ( Thats ONE more than five) fewer than Pro Bowler BL had, or as you so profoundly caught on and repeatedly espoused ( try not moving your lips when you read) the same proportional caught passes ratio even BETTER than BL with less inc passes.

Kyle HAD 24 passes NOT completed to BL of the "Deep pass play" type- gaining zero ( thats like... oh... LESS than good) yards

NOW..... In a thread "touting the Arm strength of Kyle Orton" it was shown that 58 % ( thats a tad LESS than 6 out of 10) passes were incomplete just to BL.

Because you and your ilk ( google it...) keep repeating over and over..."Kyle was running for his life behind that O-line" yet he also had time to throw the most passes of the "Deep type"...meaning that it took time for THAT to happen...

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Try and focus.

:laugh:

That was a hoot.

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

-----

Comical... :laugh:

BigDaddyBronco
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I wonder what Cutler's completion percentage is wearing a coat on the sidelines?

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder what Cutler's completion percentage is wearing a coat on the sidelines?

No, no. You missed the point. He didn't have any incomplete passes while pouting. Incomplete passes are detrimental to an offense.

HammeredOut
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM

So IF we go:
Run 1 yard
run 1 yard

3rd and 8

IF we go
Deep pass inc
run 2 yards

3rd and 8 STILL....

wow.. Ive been saying that for a while now. Im glad you acknowledged our run game is aweful, and it is one of the main reasons our 3rd down conversition rate is reflective of the bad running.

HammeredOut
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Comical... :laugh:

Your only stat of the day ^^^^ lol.. :welcome:

BroncoStud
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Your only stat of the day ^^^^ lol.. :welcome:

Stats dude, WE NEED STATS! :laugh:

arapaho2
06-02-2011, 04:20 PM
wow.. Ive been saying that for a while now. Im glad you acknowledged our run game is aweful, and it is one of the main reasons our 3rd down conversition rate is reflective of the bad running.

i beleive the topic should be ortons 3rd down %

as it is

3rd between 3-10 yards is 48.2%
on 3rd and less than 2 hes ..44.4%

not good

slim
06-02-2011, 04:24 PM
First off YOU missed the entire premise ( big word...like LESS) of my post...

No, I understand your premise...incomplete passes are bad...brilliant.

I know its hard to keep up here, but 17 passes caught is ONLY 6 more than Knox had ALL year

Knox- 5th round pick ( FOR Kyle I might add too) Second year in NFL- was 6 ( Thats ONE more than five) fewer than Pro Bowler BL had, or as you so profoundly caught on and repeatedly espoused ( try not moving your lips when you read) the same proportional caught passes ratio even BETTER than BL with less inc passes.

Yes, with basically the same % of passes completed/passes attempted. Again, you are talking in circles.

Kyle HAD 24 passes NOT completed to BL of the "Deep pass play" type- gaining zero ( thats like... oh... LESS than good) yards

Agree, incomplete passes are bad.

NOW..... In a thread "touting the Arm strength of Kyle Orton" it was shown that 58 % ( thats a tad LESS than 6 out of 10) passes were incomplete just to BL.

59%. Basically the same as your hero Jay Cutler to Knox. Again, you can't have it both ways.

Because you and your ilk ( google it...) keep repeating over and over..."Kyle was running for his life behind that O-line" yet he also had time to throw the most passes of the "Deep type"...meaning that it took time for THAT to happen...

I have never once said anything close to this. You must have me confused with someone else.

Bullgator
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
what havent you guys heard? KO is out like a fat girl playing dodgeball. IDK why we ever mention his name round here. hes not a even a bronco anymore!(soon enough).... if we have any foresight we should post this thread in the league section...

Top, RC, Slim and rest of you guys... give it up KO is no longer your QB! Your now defending a guy that we will be competing against.(soon enough). Time to pull out of KO and cheer on the new Broncos QB, whoever that is... Brady Quinn or I think they have another guy on the roster too.

Nanana na! hey hey hey...goodbyyyyye

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I mean there's no way John Fox would go with a journeyman-type, game manager quarterback as his top option at the position. No way in hell.

http://www.nopactalent.com/speakerphotos/photos/6843Jake_Delhomme.jpg

slim
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
what havent you guys heard? KO is out like a fat girl playing dodgeball. IDK why we ever mention his name round here. hes not a even a bronco anymore!(soon enough).... if we have any foresight we should post this thread in the league section...

Top, RC, Slim and rest of you guys... give it up KO is no longer your QB! Your now defending a guy that we will be competing against.(soon enough). Time to pull out of KO and cheer on the new Broncos QB, whoever that is... Brady Quinn or I think they have another guy on the roster too.

Nanana na! hey hey hey...goodbyyyyye

First, I have stated many times that I want to see Tebow starting next year.

Second, keep my name out of your posts.

Third, wash your mouth out with a revolver.

Bullgator
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
There is no way in hell the broncos are going to pay nearly 9 million dollars to a player for 1 year in a year they are not expected to make the playoffs. Total waste of money AND you miss out on the chance to develop your First rounder at the most oppertune time. with a fresh coach and a fresh play book.

You deal KO NOW or you eat 9 mill and get no value when he walks.

Fox would love to start KO, but he can not. the only play is to trade and get value and see if the TT kid can handle the job, if not worry about a new QB in the up comming draft.

you make the acountants happy, the fans happy... slap this year will all kinds of disclaimers for low expectations and hope that Tebow IS what he swears he is. If hes not no harm done.

this is a business after all, and 9 mill is alot of effing money

Bullgator
06-02-2011, 04:52 PM

I love it when you get angry

Northman
06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Doesnt matter. Even if you did see them, it wouldnt stop you from being a pinata.

Ok, that shit was funny. lol

Northman
06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
This thread's a classic.

Instant classic.

I have only one person on my ignore list but he sucks so bad to tell the the rest of the board who he is would only feed his little ego.

NorCalBronco7
06-02-2011, 05:06 PM
There is no way in hell the broncos are going to pay nearly 9 million dollars to a player for 1 year in a year they are not expected to make the playoffs. Total waste of money AND you miss out on the chance to develop your First rounder at the most oppertune time. with a fresh coach and a fresh play book.

You deal KO NOW or you eat 9 mill and get no value when he walks.

Fox would love to start KO, but he can not. the only play is to trade and get value and see if the TT kid can handle the job, if not worry about a new QB in the up comming draft.

you make the acountants happy, the fans happy... slap this year will all kinds of disclaimers for low expectations and hope that Tebow IS what he swears he is. If hes not no harm done.

this is a business after all, and 9 mill is alot of effing money

For a Tebow troll, your make some good points. But 9 mil for a starting Qb in the NFL isnt that high. Other than that, I can see where your coming from.

NorCalBronco7
06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I mean there's no way John Fox would go with a journeyman-type, game manager quarterback as his top option at the position. No way in hell.

http://www.nopactalent.com/speakerphotos/photos/6843Jake_Delhomme.jpg

Carolina Pathers fan-

"I will gladly tell you about the time Fox played Jake Delhomme until his wheels fell off.

Or the time he kept DeShaun Foster in front of DeAngelo Williams for two seasons.

Or the time he played Nail Diggs in front of James Anderson for three seasons.

Or that other time, at band camp, when he went out and signed Brian St. Pierre (who was a stay0at-home dad at the time) so Tony Pike didn’t have to start. Umm-hmm.

But, to his credit, if a young player CLEARLY is better than the veteran alternative, he will play the kid. The problem is that Tebow has yet to prove he is clearly better than Orton.

The Broncos won more games with Tebow, yes, but the team enjoyed a collective sigh of relief after McDaniels was fired, and they started playing football. Not to discount Tebow’s play in his three starts, but there is more to it than the stat-book shows."

Fox loves his vets. It does make perfect sense in a way for him to keep Orton and start him over Tebow based on his history. Whether right or wrong, that cant give all the Broncos fans confidence that we will be trading Orton. Not saying he wont, just that we have no idea.

Ravage!!!
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I think if Orton is on the team when season starts, he will be the starter on game 1. Tebow isn't ready and has a long ways to go. I personally would MUCH rather watch Tebwo learn in the line of fire than to watch another mediocre body behind center, anyway. At least it gives us an idea where we are at by the END of the season with Tebow.

As I've said many times before. I don't think Tebow will be the passing QB we need him to be in the NFL, but I'm HOPING he does. In the meantime, I would much rather watch him learn the game and SEE, than too listen to another excuse-filled season behind Orton.

Does Fox feel the same way? Probably not. He probably would rather start Orton and try to get as many wins as possible. After all, all he has to do is show improvement over the last debacle to give the fans confidence that we are moving in the right direction (away from McD). Any coach wants to buy another year, and moving forward would do that.

But at the same time, I think HE knows that he can't stick with Orton. That will turn the fans against him very quickly. So he will have to start Tebow, either by the second half of this coming season, or in 2012 either way. That means the pick that we can get for Orton is valuable, since a pick waiting to be taken. Letting that pick simply evaporate for nothing, is a waste.

I still can't believe this is a thread about "kyle orton's" arm. I mean, really? Orton's arm? It would be a much more entertaining thread if it were about his talking beard.... or in Orton's case, his bearded clam.

I do n't care how many punt-pass- and kick competitions Orton won... his arm is still just.. eh. He's not "wowing" anyone with his arm strength. No one walks from a Denver game and goes "man, did you see that cannon?" ..unless your name is topscribe.

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
No, I understand your premise...incomplete passes are bad...brilliant.

Yes, with basically the same % of passes completed/passes attempted. Again, you are talking in circles.

Agree, incomplete passes are bad.

59%. Basically the same as your hero Jay Cutler to Knox. Again, you can't have it both ways.

I have never once said anything close to this. You must have me confused with someone else.

Wow.....I got lost about 6x there.....you're a better man than me, slim.

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Seconded

topscribe
06-02-2011, 05:50 PM

lol

Let me add that my QB is the one who will win the competition and be the best
one available for the job, no matter what his last name is. I have said that
several times. I can't help it if some people on this board can't read past the
preschool level . . .

-----

robert ethan
06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Since this thread was originally about Orton's arm strength I went back to check the scouting reports when he was in college. They raved about it. "A cannon" was the most common phrase. Unless he had Tommy John surgery or something recently you have to think that Kyle can wing it as well as anyone.

Ravage!!!
06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Certainly don't see that on the field. Certainly don't hear that from the commentators reporting the game. Certainly dont' hear Orton's name mentioned along the other 'strong armed' QBs in the NFL. You would think that IF he could wing it as well as anyone, you'd hear/see it more than having to go back and look at a HS throw and pre-draft reports.

BroncoJoe
06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/kyle-orton-8-nfl.jpg

robert ethan
06-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Nobody talks too much about arm strength once the guys are in the NFL. That is more a college recruiting/NFL draft scouting thing. I think it's expected that once the guys are starting in the league that their arm strength is good enough.

TXBRONC
06-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I think if Orton is on the team when season starts, he will be the starter on game 1. Tebow isn't ready and has a long ways to go. I personally would MUCH rather watch Tebwo learn in the line of fire than to watch another mediocre body behind center, anyway. At least it gives us an idea where we are at by the END of the season with Tebow.

As I've said many times before. I don't think Tebow will be the passing QB we need him to be in the NFL, but I'm HOPING he does. In the meantime, I would much rather watch him learn the game and SEE, than too listen to another excuse-filled season behind Orton.

Does Fox feel the same way? Probably not. He probably would rather start Orton and try to get as many wins as possible. After all, all he has to do is show improvement over the last debacle to give the fans confidence that we are moving in the right direction (away from McD). Any coach wants to buy another year, and moving forward would do that.

But at the same time, I think HE knows that he can't stick with Orton. That will turn the fans against him very quickly. So he will have to start Tebow, either by the second half of this coming season, or in 2012 either way. That means the pick that we can get for Orton is valuable, since a pick waiting to be taken. Letting that pick simply evaporate for nothing, is a waste.

I still can't believe this is a thread about "kyle orton's" arm. I mean, really? Orton's arm? It would be a much more entertaining thread if it were about his talking beard.... or in Orton's case, his bearded clam.

I do n't care how many punt-pass- and kick competitions Orton won... his arm is still just.. eh. He's not "wowing" anyone with his arm strength. No one walks from a Denver game and goes "man, did you see that cannon?" ..unless your name is topscribe.

I'll give Top this he hasn't said that Orton has cannon for an arm. However, (sorry Top) from what I've seen of Orton arm doesn't appear to be as powerful as Top believes it to be. He completed a lot long passes this year but it still doesn't appear to be a strength for him. His receivers primarily Lloyd made him look better than he actually is when it comes to the deep ball.

If Orton isn't traded he has the upper hand as far as being the starter. But if we have anything that resembles a full camp I wont write Tebow off. If he's given the chance I think he'll push Orton to absolute limit. At that point Orton will either cave to pressure like Plummer did or he'll overcome it.

Finally if Orton stays and starts the entire season he's going to want a long term contract. I can't blame him for that. But unless he as a stellar year and improves in the critical areas of 3rd downs and what he does in crunch time I see EFX being hesitant to give him a long term deal. Looking at what EFX did in scouting quarterbacks this year coupled with what John said at the end of the draft press conference I don't think Orton has an inside track to being in Denver long term. At the end of the draft press conference Elway said (this is not verbatim) "We had to see if a franchise guy was there and believe me we're going to be doing that next year as well." As I've said before that not good news for both Orton or Tebow but I think this is worse news for a guy who would by that time have been the starter for a third consecutive year.

TXBRONC
06-02-2011, 06:25 PM
http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/kyle-orton-8-nfl.jpg

A face only a mother could love. :laugh:

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
lol

preschool level . . .

-----

I think its a floorida thing

topscribe
06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I'll give Top this he hasn't said that Orton has cannon for an arm. However, (sorry Top) from what I've seen of Orton arm doesn't appear to be as powerful as Top believes it to be. He completed a lot long passes this year but it still doesn't appear to be a strength for him. His receivers primarily Lloyd made him look better than he actually is when it comes to the deep ball.

If Orton isn't traded he has the upper hand as far as being the starter. But if we have anything that resembles a full camp I wont write Tebow off. If he's given the chance I think he'll push Orton to absolute limit. At that point Orton will either cave to pressure like Plummer did or he'll overcome it.

Finally if Orton stays and starts the entire season he's going to want a long term contract. I can't blame him for that. But unless he as a stellar year and improves in the critical areas of 3rd downs and what he does in crunch time I see EFX being hesitant to give him a long term deal. Looking at what EFX did in scouting quarterbacks this year coupled with what John said at the end of the draft press conference I don't think Orton has an inside track to being in Denver long term. At the end of the draft press conference Elway said (this is not verbatim) "We had to see if a franchise guy was there and believe me we're going to be doing that next year as well." As I've said before that not good news for both Orton or Tebow but I think this is worse news for a guy who would by that time have been the starter for a third consecutive year.

No doubt Orton will need that stellar year to justify buying a house in Denver.
He has it in him: He showed that in his 11 healthy games last year. But he will
first need to prove he can stay healthy, and, as you mentioned, he will need
to improve on 3rd down conversions and in the RZ.

Tebow still has to prove he can be a good QB over time - period.

The fact that EFX is looking for a "Franchise" QB means both have their work
cut out for them. Good luck to the winner - if either makes it . . .

-----

WARHORSE
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Kyle needs to lift weights, and work on his core.

If he does that, he'll be able to harness more of his arm on the field if he truly can throw it 72 yards.

Unlike pitching a baseball, lifting weights will actually strengthen your ability to throw the football due to the weight of it.

I know, Ive seen and felt the results myself.

Pitchers are an entirely different story.

rcsodak
06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Kyle needs to lift weights, and work on his core.

If he does that, he'll be able to harness more of his arm on the field if he truly can throw it 72 yards.

Unlike pitching a baseball, lifting weights will actually strengthen your ability to throw the football due to the weight of it.

I know, Ive seen and felt the results myself.

Pitchers are an entirely different story.

Doesn't seem to have helped bquinn....... :confused:

TXBRONC
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Doesn't seem to have helped bquinn....... :confused:

No you don't want to be muscle bound.

Ravage!!!
06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Nobody talks too much about arm strength once the guys are in the NFL. That is more a college recruiting/NFL draft scouting thing. I think it's expected that once the guys are starting in the league that their arm strength is good enough.

Arm strength is talked about all the time in the NFL.

nevcraw
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM

no doubt.

Chad pennington anyone? Griese post Raiduhs game?
Plummer...
Cutler and his bragadocious claims v. the goat.

TXBRONC
06-02-2011, 10:52 PM

And sometimes the lack there of. :D

powderaddict
06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't care what Orton did a decade ago on some practice field under no duress.

I care what he does on Sunday while wearing a Bronco's uniform. 2010 turned me from a rabid Orton supporter and an even more rabid detractors.

He has a decent arm, can read defenses and make all the throws required of an NFL QB. What he lacks is the heart and intestinal fortitude that separates the champions from the pretenders.

BroncoStud
06-03-2011, 12:30 AM
lol

preschool level . . .

-----

Plausible deniability. You want Orton to start.

Bullgator
06-03-2011, 12:32 AM
lol

preschool level . . .

-----

Way to lay the tracks for tidy retreat. smart move... even you know your boy is done.

atwater27
06-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Way to lay the tracks for tidy retreat. smart move... even you know your boy is done.

narf. troll.

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 01:29 AM

You're going to look very foolish if Orton is still in a Broncos' uniform when the season starts.

rcsodak
06-03-2011, 09:48 AM
You're going to look very foolish if Orton is still in. Broncos' uniform when the season starts.
Impossible

BroncoStud
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
You're going to look very foolish if Orton is still in. Broncos' uniform when the season starts.

If Orton isn't traded by week 1, he will start. It's the ONLY way to handle the situation. You have to let him fail on his own merit. If you insert Tebow and he struggles then you look foolish with Orton on the bench, and you create a bad situation for Tebow to develop under.

If you start Orton and he struggles, then it is clearly the time to insert Tebow and never look back. That is why I have said I believe that Elway will trade Orton and get some value while he can and eliminate the possibility of this happening.

It's either Orton is traded before the season begins or he is going to start until Tebow takes the job based on injury or performance.

rcsodak
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
If Orton isn't traded by week 1, he will start. It's the ONLY way to handle the situation. You have to let him fail on his own merit. If you insert Tebow and he struggles then you look foolish with Orton on the bench, and you create a bad situation for Tebow to develop under.

If you start Orton and he struggles, then it is clearly the time to insert Tebow and never look back. That is why I have said I believe that Elway will trade Orton and get some value while he can and eliminate the possibility of this happening.

It's either Orton is traded before the season begins or he is going to start until Tebow takes the job based on injury or performance.

Don't forget BQuinn.

BroncoStud
06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't forget BQuinn.

Oh yeah, that guy... :lol:

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Impossible

NO not really. ;)

rcsodak
06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
NO not really. ;)
?? Are we talking about the same thing? :lol:

KCL
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
You're going to look very foolish if Orton is still in a Broncos' uniform when the season starts.

He isn't the only one!

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
?? Are we talking about the same thing? :lol:

I have no idea. :lol:

TXBRONC
06-03-2011, 07:10 PM
He isn't the only one!

True. :salute:

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I wish this thread had some videos linked. Apparently there's some at least anecdotal evidence of Orton throwing passes with velocity/smoke/mustard on them. I am not saying it didn't happen--I'm saying I have no recollection of seeing anything of the sort.

That said, I haven't really seen video of Tebow throwing anything on a "rope" either, despite mixed "strong arm" claims...

From what I have seen BOTH of them generally throw balls that take awhile to reach their targets, and use plenty of air underneath their throws--consciously or not. In general I regard BOTH to have below-average arm strength based on what I have witnessed but am open to visual proof otherwise.

HammeredOut
06-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I wish this thread had some videos linked. Apparently there's some at least anecdotal evidence of Orton throwing passes with velocity/smoke/mustard on them. I am not saying it didn't happen--I'm saying I have no recollection of seeing anything of the sort.

That said, I haven't really seen video of Tebow throwing anything on a "rope" either, despite mixed "strong arm" claims...

From what I have seen BOTH of them generally throw balls that take awhile to reach their targets, and use plenty of air underneath their throws--consciously or not. In general I regard BOTH to have below-average arm strength based on what I have witnessed but am open to visual proof otherwise.

Tebow's catapult motion in his wind-up gives him extra velocity. As opposed to a good QB, the Motion starts from the shoulders and the throw is made. With Tebow he will start at the shoulder, but his wind up starts at the hip when he puts extra on the throw. Tebow hands down has the slowest release in the NFL right now.

The big problem with the Catapult Release motion, is you lose accuracy and timing because the passing windows are so small in the NFL. defenders will have a field day with his throwing motion. he needs to incorporate a heck of a pump fake to get away with that kind of throwing motion. Otherwise, he will always be a 50% completion percentage career QB. Just like a good pitcher in baseball, teams get use to throwing motions, and they find tendencies and weaknesses.

Elway has a few options to play it out. Elway can take the easy road, meaning he trades Orton gets the 2nd rounder. Moves Lloyd for a 3rd rounder, and develops D.Thomas at WR as a number 1, lets Decker take over as number 2. Runs Royal in at the slot. All the while he can calm down the critics, and get the answers he needs to know. Such as: Is Tebow a starter. Is Tebow the type of player to make the talent around him better.

If Tebow is not the answer, Elways out on the whole situation, is piling the blame back on McDaniels for bad draft picks resulting in a bad situation, and a bad season. All the while, if things remain the same, its apart of a rebuild season, and the Broncos take a 3-16 season. They would be in an Ideal spot to select Andrew Luck in next seasons draft. They could move the 2nd and 3rd round picks from Orton and Lloyd trades, and even get another 2nd or 3rd rounder for Tebow, and move up the draft to get Andrew Luck. Either way, I think its a win win situation for the Broncos this year.

tomjonesrocks
06-04-2011, 11:16 PM
...Moves Lloyd for a 3rd rounder, and develops D.Thomas at WR as a number 1, lets Decker take over as number 2.

Huh? :confused:

BroncoStud
06-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Yes, it's perplexing... :laugh:

TXBRONC
06-05-2011, 06:58 AM

Don't think about it to hard TJR or you'll end up with a high brain sprain.

Lonestar
06-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes, it's perplexing... :laugh:

More like fantasy land.

Over thinking what should be a KISS issue. (keep it simple stupid)

Both the Duke and Fox say they want to win now. Not sure if that is just MBE (male bovine excrement ) to keep the fans happy or if they really think they have the horses to pull it off.

We very well may have a good base but we need qualified depth. In order to stay in the winning column. That is going to take a few years of drafting well & a trade or FA or two.

chazoe60
06-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm just happy our boys make it to the SB. I mean, the only way to have a 3-16 record is to go 0-16 in the RS but somehow get homefield advantage And a bye and then win out. Here we go Bronco fans we're gonna win it all according to HO.

I Eat Staples
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
My OCD is too bad for me to ignore anyone. I can't stand not knowing what's being said.

topscribe
06-05-2011, 11:53 PM
My OCD is too bad for me to ignore anyone. I can't stand not knowing what's being said.

Frankly, there's a handful about whom I really don't care . . . :coffee:

-----

topscribe
06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Okay, now this is going to blow your mind. I have mentioned Orton's 72-yard
throw as a high school senior, right?

Well . . .

Go here (http://www.hulu.com/watch/137402/in-their-own-words-john-elway), at about 3:20 of this flick. This is John Elway in high school. He threw
the ball from his own 9, and it went to the opposing team's 8. That is 83 yards.
Counting a few yards cross field (from the middle to the right hash mark), the
ball went at least 85 yards in the air.

That is John Elway in high school!

-----

TXBRONC
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM

Well . . .

Go here (http://www.hulu.com/watch/137402/in-their-own-words-john-elway), at about 3:20 of this flick. This is John Elway in high school. He threw
the ball from his own 9, and it went to the opposing team's 8. That is 83 yards.

-----

He was awesome.

Ravage!!!
06-08-2011, 06:12 PM
15:58 "As a QB, thats where you get paid. You get paid to make plays..bottom line, as a quarterback, ya gotta win."

Ravage!!!
06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Damn.. I can watch that over and over and over again. Still brings a tear to my eye to see Elway up on those shoulders.

rcsodak
06-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Damn.. I can watch that over and over and over again. Still brings a tear to my eye to see Elway up on those shoulders.
Big baby!

;)

WARHORSE
06-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Well . . .

-----

Actually, he threw from about his 7, to their 17, which is a throw of 76 yards.

Give or take a yard.

If you look good, you can see the goaline pylons and count the yards.

Still a helluva throw.

topscribe
06-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Actually, he threw from about his 7, to their 17, which is a throw of 76 yards.

Give or take a yard.

If you look good, you can see the goaline pylons and count the yards.

Still a helluva throw.

You are right in that it was to the 17. Good catch. However, there was still the
across the field factor, as well as down the field, so it was still close to 80 yards.

-----

TXBRONC
06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
15:58 "As a QB, thats where you get paid. You get paid to make plays..bottom line, as a quarterback, ya gotta win."

16:52 "It's in those situations that you have to find away to make a play."

Juriga72
06-09-2011, 06:25 AM
16:52 "It's in those situations that you have to find away to make a play."

17:34-"If you ever hear me talking about a guy being a solid vet who played thru a "rib" injury, you'll know I think he really sucks"

Wow...John has it pegged right there....

Lonestar
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Guess what folks John is gone and will not be back.

:focus:

TXBRONC
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Top brought it up. :wave:

topscribe
06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I just thought it would be interesting to everyone.

Thread was about dead, anyway . . .

-----

BroncoJoe
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM

I guess we can no longer enjoy the greatness we once had.

TXBRONC
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I just thought it would be interesting to everyone.

Thread was about dead, anyway . . .

-----

It was Top. It was very interesting. :salute: