PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
I've decided to take my rooting interests to....

The Big D.

BeefStew25
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Gawd Heat fans suck.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Gawd Heat fans suck.

Yeah, they are pretty much annoying as all hell. :elefant:

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
We're screwed. Too old to run with the Yankees...i mean the Heat for a long series and the NBA will make a fortune on LJ jersey sales if he gets a championship.

But I'll still be hoping the Mavs have a little magic left

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:08 PM
My rooting interests lie in south beach. I'm not one to jump on the ESPN bandwagon of hating Miami because of LeBron's decision. I like sports because of what players do on the field/court and I love watching LeBron play. I could give less than a crap what he does off it. I do enjoy Dirk too though, so I won't be too mad either way.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:09 PM
We're screwed. Too old to run with the Yankees...i mean the Heat for a long series and the NBA will make a fortune on LJ jersey sales if he gets a championship.

But I'll still be hoping the Mavs have a little magic left

Please, give me a break. Cuban was wooing LeBron just as hard as anyone was this offseason. You would have been all for it had Dallas gotten him. Your post reeks of sour grapes.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:10 PM
My rooting interests lie in south beach. I'm not one to jump on the ESPN bandwagon of hating Miami because of LeBron's decision. I like sports because of what players do on the field/court and I love watching LeBron play. I could give less than a crap what he does off it. I do enjoy Dirk too though, so I won't be too mad either way.

ESPN loves his decision and loved the program and loved the Heat all year, so I never have figured out where that came from...

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 10:10 PM
I've never .. ever... watched an NBA championship. I hate the NBA, but I've actually tuned into these playoffs purely because of the Heat and the 'hate' they received. Gotta say, I'm rootin' for the Heat

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:11 PM
ESPN loves his decision and loved the program and loved the Heat all year, so I never have figured out where that came from...

Many of the talking heads on espn have been hating on LeBron all year though.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Please, give me a break. Cuban was wooing LeBron just as hard as anyone was this offseason. You would have been all for it had Dallas gotten him. Your post reeks of sour grapes.

Um...no he didn't.

The teams who visited Cleveland were: Miami, Chicago, New York and the Clippers.

No Dallas.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Many of the talking heads on espn have been hating on LeBron all year though.

No. They haven't.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Um...no he didn't.

The teams who visited Cleveland were: Miami, Chicago, New York and the Clippers.

No Dallas.

You must have missed where Cuban said he wanted LeBron then. Just because he didn't choose to visit Dallas doesn't mean that Cuban did make an effort for him.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
No. They haven't.

Skip Bayless for one. And while it has worn off a bunch, in the weeks after the decision the talking heads couldn't bash him enough. You have a very selective memory Mo.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Youve lost your mind. Signing a FA is one thing. Conglomerating t buy a title is another. James, Wade and Bosh do not care what name is on the front of the jersey

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
You must have missed where Cuban said he wanted LeBron then. Just because he didn't choose to visit Dallas doesn't mean that Cuban did make an effort for him.

So Cuban wanted LeBron. Everyone wanted the best player in the league and Cuban is the exact owner who would state such a thing.

Dallas was never a major player. Ever. No Dallas fan is worried about LeBron not picking Dallas because Dallas wasn't realistically an option.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Um...no he didn't.

No Dallas.

Here you go, Mo:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-beats-miami-after-mark-cuban-reminds-lebron-james-he-could-have-been-a-maverick-2010-11

Mark Cuban revealed to the media that he tried hard to convince LeBron James to come to Dallas this offseason, just hours before Cuban's Mavericks handed James his eighth loss of the year.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Skip Bayless for one. And while it has worn off a bunch, in the weeks after the decision the talking heads couldn't bash him enough. You have a very selective memory Mo.

No. I don't have a selective memory. One columnist said they wouldn't win and an entire network is "hating?"

They created an entire web page dedicated to the Heat. They weren't hating on the Heat. That's preposterous. They love LeBron James because he means ratings.

BroncoWave
Youve lost your mind. Signing a FA is one thing. Conglomerating t buy a title is another. James, Wade and Bosh do not care what name is on the front of the jersey

So signing one major FA is ok but signing 2 like Miami did is some huge crime? Ok...

What if Dallas has signed LeBron and Bosh. Would you have had a problem with it then?

BroncoWave
No. I don't have a selective memory. One columnist said they wouldn't win and an entire network is "hating?"

They created an entire web page dedicated to the Heat. They weren't hating on the Heat. That's preposterous. They love LeBron James because he means ratings.

You're confusing the people who run ESPN with their talking heads.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:18 PM
So Cuban wanted LeBron. Everyone wanted the best player in the league and Cuban is the exact owner who would state such a thing.

Dallas was never a major player. Ever. No Dallas fan is worried about LeBron not picking Dallas because Dallas wasn't realistically an option.

My point is that Chaz is bashing Miami and calling them the Yankees when Cuban tried to do the exact same thing but just failed.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Here you go, Mo:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-beats-miami-after-mark-cuban-reminds-lebron-james-he-could-have-been-a-maverick-2010-11

Sweet, Cuban sent a text to James saying he should have been a Maverick, but didn't interview him during free agency or make a strong push to trade for James in a sign and trade, which financially would have been the only way Dallas signed LeBron.

That's not very good evidence. Nor is the financials behind the assertion. And I'm fairly certain that random Mavs fans could care less about this supposed push for James as a Maverick.

And I'm really certain Coach doesn't give a shit about supposed text messages.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:21 PM
You're confusing the people who run ESPN with their talking heads.

Nope. I'm not confusing anyone with their columnists and beat reporters. Maybe one columnist said he made the wrong decision and wasn't go to win. That's not hating. That's an honest opinion. And it certainly wasn't network wide.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Sweet, Cuban sent a text to James saying he should have been a Maverick, but didn't interview him during free agency or make a strong push to trade for James in a sign and trade, which financially would have been the only way Dallas signed LeBron.

That's not very good evidence. Nor is the financials behind the assertion. And I'm fairly certain that random Mavs fans could care less about this supposed push for James as a Maverick.

And I'm really certain Coach doesn't give a shit about supposed text messages.

Let me show you this part of the article again:

Mark Cuban revealed to the media that he tried hard to convince LeBron James to come to Dallas this offseason

He said flat out that he tried hard to convince him to come to Dallas.

And I'm sure no Maverick fan would have had a problem with it, which is why it's sour grapes to bash the team that got him.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
I have to disagree. No sense explaining why because your convinced you know what I think...so I'll just disagree

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Let me show you this part of the article again:

He said flat out that he tried hard to convince him to come to Dallas.

And I'm sure no Maverick fan would have had a problem with it, which is why it's sour grapes to bash the team that got him.

He tried so hard that he didn't even interview him during free agency...

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
I have to disagree. No sense explaining why because your convinced you know what I think...so I'll just disagree

So you would have bashed Dallas and not cheered for them had they signed LeBron and Bosh?

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
He tried so hard that he didn't even interview him during free agency...

LeBron chose which teams to interview with. Just because Cuban didn't interview him doesn't mean he didn't try hard to.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
LeBron chose which teams to interview with. Just because Cuban didn't interview him doesn't mean he didn't try hard to.

Yeah, James chose the Clippers over the Mavericks...

Right...I'm going to believe that for a second.

Cuban is full of shit.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah, James chose the Clippers over the Mavericks...

Right...I'm going to believe that for a second.

Cuban is full of shit.

I would too. Long term, the Clippers are much more attractive than Dallas. Dallas's window is going to close pretty soon. The Clippers are loaded with young talent.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:27 PM
It has nothing to do with him signing elsewhere. Its 3 top players getting together and trying to find a way to create a "superteam". Its the NBA being okay with it because it will make them richer. Its the pep rally in Miami and acting like they already accomplished something.

Im a Mavs fan, but im a realist. I would MUCH rather win a title wit the team on the floor tonight, than a team with Bosh and James. It would mean a lot more

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
wait a minute. No one "cares" what name is on the front of the jersey. Why would anyone hold that against these guys? Every player will move if another is going to pay them more money, or surround them with more talent. Doesn't matter the team name.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
It has nothing to do with him signing elsewhere. Its 3 top players getting together and trying to find a way to create a "superteam". Its the NBA being okay with it because it will make them richer. Its the pep rally in Miami and acting like they already accomplished something.

Im a Mavs fan, but im a realist. I would MUCH rather win a title wit the team on the floor tonight, than a team with Bosh and James. It would mean a lot more

There is a reason they are called FREE agents. They are FREE to go play where they choose. Are you saying the NBA should have tried to stop it? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

Pro athletes just can't win these days. If they take a max contract, people just say they are in it for the money. If they take less money to try to win, people criticize them for creating a super team.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
wait a minute. No one "cares" what name is on the front of the jersey. Why would anyone hold that against these guys? Every player will move if another is going to pay them more money, or surround them with more talent. Doesn't matter the team name.

Seriously. People act like the players on the Heat are the only guys in sports with that mindset.

Like any poster on this board wouldn't leave to work somewhere else if someone else offered they a better job or a shitlocker full of money.

BeefStew25
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I would too. Long term, the Clippers are much more attractive than Dallas. Dallas's window is going to close pretty soon. The Clippers are loaded with young talent.

No FA will play for LAC. Do some research why.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM

In one post you argue that Dallas is attractive because their owner would seek out a player like LeBron James and in the next you openly admit that a team with the worst losing culture in the history of professional sports is a more attractive destination?

Really?

BeefStew25
05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Bron is free to play anywhere he wants. To me, the way he left CLE is the reason why people have issues with him.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
In one post you argue that Dallas is attractive because their owner would seek out a player like LeBron James and in the next you openly admit that a team with the worst losing culture in the history of professional sports is a more attractive destination?

Really?

Given the talent on the teams, I would rather go to LAC. Yeah they have shitty ownership, but had LeBron gone there, they would have had so much talent it wouldn't have mattered.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Not saying they should have stopped it at all. My only disdain for the NBA in this is how they condone it in order to milk the profits. I'll be curios to see how many times per game Wade and James go to the line. Remember 2006?

Basically, the top 5 players in the NBA could sign small 2 year contracts just to play together and the NBA would be okay with it. This is going to start happening more and more and small market teams are going to get screwed.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Not saying they should have stopped it at all. My only disdain for the NBA in this is how they condone it in order to milk the profits. I'll be curios to see how many times per game Wade and James go to the line. Remember 2006?

Basically, the top 5 players in the NBA could sign small 2 year contracts just to play together and the NBA would be okay with it. This is going to start happening more and more and small market teams are going to get screwed.

Really? You are going to hate on a business for trying to make as much money as possible? Now you have really lost me. And the way so many teams are losing money right now, I don't blame the league for trying to make money in any way possible.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
The fans care a LOT more about the 'name of the front' than the players. That goes for all sports.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok. Talk to me about this when there is no cap in the NFL and they let the Cowboys buy all the talent because they have the largest fan base and its "good for business".

Seriously?

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Ok. Talk to me about this when there is no cap in the NFL and they let the Cowboys buy all the talent because they have the largest fan base and its "good for business".

Seriously?

There is a cap in the NBA. Granted it's not a hard cap like the NFL but there is still a cap.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
There is a cap in the NBA. Granted it's not a hard cap like the NFL but there is still a cap.

So kindly explain how Cuban was going to get around this cap to sign LeBron...

BroncoWave
And you say small market teams have no chance? Then what about what Memphis and OKC did in these playoffs? Or what the Spurs have done this decade. If built well, small market teams can compete in the NBA.

CoachChaz
Cap or no cap. Your argiment is its good for business and I just dont see that. Difference of opinion

BroncoWave
So kindly explain how Cuban was going to get around this cap to sign LeBron...

The same way Miami did. He would have taken less money.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:47 PM
Cap or no cap. Your argiment is its good for business and I just dont see that. Difference of opinion

The TV ratings for these playoffs have been through the roof. People either love or hate the Heat so much they have to watch. It is great for business. It may piss off fans of some small market teams, but it still brings in the dough.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
BTW, I am a huge Grizzlies fan and still have no problem with this. As they have shown, small market teams can still compete in the NBA. Had Rudy Gay not gotten hurt, it could very well have been Memphis playing Miami right now in this series.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
The NBA is hurting... these finals and the Heat have been HUGE for the NBA. The NBA is thrilled how this has turned out, and hope it continues.

BroncoWave
05-31-2011, 10:58 PM
The NBA is hurting... these finals and the Heat have been HUGE for the NBA. The NBA is thrilled how this has turned out, and hope it continues.

Seriously, I don't see how you can possibly say the Heat aren't good for business for the NBA. You just aren't being objective or aren't informed if you think that.

FanInAZ
05-31-2011, 11:32 PM
My point is that Chaz is bashing Miami and calling them the Yankees when Cuban tried to do the exact same thing but just failed.

The Yankees can spend more money than probably the bottom 20 teams in the majors. Chaz's comparison of the Heat to the Yankees is because LJ was not their one & only all-start signing, they got 3. Correct me if wrong, but I believe that Miami already had one under contract who talked the other two into coming and joining him. Therefore, this was not the result of predatory practices of the Heat, but collaboration that the involved players did entirely on their own. The only issue that I have with how everything went down was the attitude the LJ demonstrated towards an organization, and his fans, that worship the ground he stood on.

Chaz, if you object to three of the top player stacking the deck for one team in order to win a championship, how did you feel when Neil Smith join Elway and the Broncos to win those 2 SBs?

CoachChaz
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
NFL is a bad comparison. There are 22 different starters in the NFL...5 in NBA. If 3 of 5 are among the 10 best in the game, its more one-sided than if 3 of 22 are.

Again, I have to disagree that its good for business...long term. What Miami did is totally legal within the rules. But it essentially is just "buying" a title, just like Boston did and other teams with money will eventually do. No respect for that method

FanInAZ
06-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Again, I have to disagree that its good for business...long term. What Miami did is totally legal within the rules. But it essentially is just "buying" a title, just like Boston did and other teams with money will eventually do. No respect for that method

I totally agree with you that purchasing titles is bad for sports in the long run. It’s the #1 reason that why I will never believe that the D-Backs can get another championship without bring themselves to the brink of bankruptcy. They were in the red for several seasons after they won the WS, and Florida had "fire sales" after both of their championships to bring themselves back to finical solvency.

If the Heat's roster was the result of them having a larger "war chest" then everyone else, then you would have a point. However, the Heat's front office did not bring these 3 players together by throwing more money at them then was in everyone's bank account, it was the players themselves that came together on their own.

atwater27
06-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Really? You are going to hate on a business for trying to make as much money as possible? Now you have really lost me. And the way so many teams are losing money right now, I don't blame the league for trying to make money in any way possible.

Wow!\ BTB! A free market capitalist! Who knew?

atwater27
06-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I don't care for either team. Miami done bought their championship ala Boston/L.A. Always liked Dwayne Wade though. Dallas was funner to watch when Stoyacevic was in his prime. Plus Mark Cuban is highly unlikeable.

I was rooting for OKC... they are a young, exciting team. If only Westbrook could learn how to fit in his role.. Dude could have like 15 dishes a game and set some triple double records.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
From everything I have read, James/Bosh wanted to be with Wade = Miami. I think it was last night they had a sitdown with Wade on ESPN, and he stated that he wanted to stay in Miami, so realistically, that is the place that James/Bosh went = to be with Wade.

Dzone
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Mark Cuban is a total douchebag. His insults to K-Mart and his mom were as low as you can go. Cuban is classless. But I hate the Heat worse. Go Mavs!

dogfish
06-02-2011, 10:47 PM
the dallas mavericks: half john mcclane, half jason vorhees

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
My respect for Dirk Nowitzki is rising. That comeback, and that guile in the last few moments was epic.

Now, if that's all he's got in these Finals, then my opinion of him will remain the same, but that was impressive.

BeefStew25
06-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Wade's flop at the end was gay as Atwater27.

atwater27
06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Wade's flop at the end was gay as Atwater27.

Leave Wade alone. He is out MVPing Lebron if they win the series.

BeefStew25
06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Leave Wade alone. He is out MVPing Lebron if they win the series.

If my aunt had balls they would be on your chin.

atwater27
06-02-2011, 11:12 PM
If my aunt had balls they would be on your chin.

That was witty. Napoleon Dynamite would be proud.

MOtorboat
06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
This has been a very competitive series. And entertaining.

dogfish
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
the mavs just won't stay down. . . apparently, the only way to kill them is with fire. . .

MOtorboat
06-08-2011, 07:02 AM
the mavs just won't stay down. . . apparently, the only way to kill them is with fire. . .

Meth.

Broncospsycho77
06-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I have been completely enthralled with this series. Every game. Which is weird, considering I couldn't stand watching the Mavs all year. The competition is just fantastic. Not to mention the ridiculous storylines, now coming perfectly to fruition.

-Finally seeing the genius of the 2-3-2 game format. Dallas has the lead, but really, how much of a lead is it when home court advantage returns to Miami? That's some pressure right there for both teams, and no other combination would be quite as dramatic. Because it goes down in one of two ways: (1) Dallas has to take the championship from Miami in Miami, or (2) Miami comes from a 3-2 deficit to take it.

-The ownership of Miami: Wade has been an axe murderer out there, doing everything with a Kobe-esque sneer. But we all know that LeBron is one of the most talented players to ever dress for a game. How are we going to define this team? Who is Batman, who is Robin, and who is Alfred?

-The Hall of Fame push for Dirk, and how the next two games might define if he ever gets in. That's a lot on two shoulders right there. Win it all, and not only are you a champion, but you're immortalized among basketball's greatest forever. Lose it, and you're immortalized as nothing but a legend of an era that almost was. Almost, but not enough.

-LeBron's definition and refinement. Who is LeBron? What is he after? Chide me all you want for referencing Bill Simmons (or for reading his work period), but he made a pretty poignant comparison that I always seem to come back to when describing LeBron's innate desires: Jordan wanted to win; LeBron wants to amaze. If there was an ultimatum to murder Scottie Pippen to take a Game 7 in the Finals, Jordan would take it. If LeBron was put in that same scenario (with Wade), I'm not so sure he would take it. He would rather throw up half court shots before the game, make impossible dunks look easy, flick a no look pass, or shatter an opponent's fast break with a Herculean block.

-And finally, something that runs parallel, especially if Miami pulls this deficit into a title: should Wade start receiving Jordan comparisons as well? What is his legacy with two titles (and probably two Finals MVPs) while being drafted in the same class as LeBron. He's been the underdog forever: from Marquette to being the third pick to losing his throne in Miami to LeBron.

This whole thing has me foaming at the mouth. So many perfect angles. And it's closing perfectly, no matter who finally triumphs.

dogfish
06-10-2011, 12:03 AM
fantastic post, other than the part where you asked if wade should get jordan comparisons if they win. . .

no. . .

Broncospsycho77
06-10-2011, 12:32 AM
fantastic post, other than the part where you asked if wade should get jordan comparisons if they win. . .

no. . .

Obviously, but I wrote that more on the merit of who "deserves" the consistent comparisons. More and more this series, it seemed like Wade was the one who would strap the whole squad on his back to get a W. Perhaps I put it incorrectly -- not who should get the Jordan comparisons, but who should leave a more lasting legacy on their own. Yeah, I'll stick with that.

atwater27
06-10-2011, 12:54 AM
The weirdest thing about this series for me is that I actually respect LeBron MORE since it started. I never really gave him a thought before. I know, people are capping on him for lacking the killer instinct, but I am impressed with his team ability, his assists, his defense and his overrall game. I honestly think Miami's problem is they are getting vastly outcoached. I still want Wade to get MVP if they win though.

dogfish
06-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Obviously, but I wrote that more on the merit of who "deserves" the consistent comparisons. More and more this series, it seemed like Wade was the one who would strap the whole squad on his back to get a W. Perhaps I put it incorrectly -- not who should get the Jordan comparisons, but who should leave a more lasting legacy on their own. Yeah, I'll stick with that.

i find the latter statement VERY much more palatable. . . :D

sorry, not trying to be a jerk about it or anything-- i'm just really picky about hearing guys with a ring or two compared to the GOAT. . . i just don't think jordan comparison are ever justified, even as hyperbole. . . that rapist POS kobe is the only one that really even belongs in the same zip code, IMO-- and when you compare the major awards as well as the rings, there really is no comparison. . .

IF the heat turn it around and win this thing with wade as the finals MVP, at that point maybe you can compare him to a player like isiah thomas-- maaaybe akeem olajuwon or larry bird, although it's still a stretch at this point IMO. . . but never jordan, and it's not just the rings-- jordan won finals MVP all six times his team won the title, and he has five league MVPs, ten scoring titles, and a defensive player of the year award. . .

we have to project just to get wade to two rings, two finals MVPs, one scoring title and zero league MVPs or DPOY. . . i think it's a huge insult to his airness to compare a player like wade or lebron to him, when they don't have even a fraction of his accomplishments. . .

as far as i'm concerned, comparing gretzky to jordan for the most dominant individual player in the history of team sports is more the level that MJ comparisons should be made on. . . JMO, obviously. . .

:elefant:

atwater27
06-10-2011, 01:17 AM

sorry, not trying to be a jerk about it or anything-- i'm just really picky about hearing guys with a ring or two compared to the GOAT. . . i just don't think jordan comparison are ever justified, even as hyperbole. . . that rapist POS kobe is the only one that really even belongs in the same zip code, IMO-- and when you compare the major awards as well as the rings, there really is no comparison. . .

IF the heat turn it around and win this thing with wade as the finals MVP, at that point maybe you can compare him to a player like isiah thomas-- maaaybe akeem olajuwon or larry bird, although it's still a stretch at this point IMO. . . but never jordan, and it's not just the rings-- jordan won finals MVP all six times his team won the title, and he has five league MVPs, ten scoring titles, and a defensive player of the year award. . .

we have to project just to get wade to two rings, two finals MVPs, one scoring title and zero league MVPs or DPOY. . . i think it's a huge insult to his airness to compare a player like wade or lebron to him, when they don't have even a fraction of his accomplishments. . .

as far as i'm concerned, comparing gretzky to jordan for the most dominant individual player in the history of team sports is more the level that MJ comparisons should be made on. . . JMO, obviously. . .

I agree. I will have to say, though, Wade does nothing but prove people wrong and perform when it matters. And he does it selflessly. Classy dude. I got an interesting comparison of Lebron, though. Skillwise and physical freak wise, he reminds me of an NBA version of Bo Jackson.

rcsodak
06-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Go Mavs!

Dzone
06-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Could anything be sweeter than the Heat losing and Lebron being labeled the goat of the series????...WoooHooo!

Broncospsycho77
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Fully agreed. But to add, it wasn't just the awards or the breadth of talent... It was how he did it. How he viewed it. "Snarling" comes to mind. If I had to pick one entity that hated losing the most at anything... It's Jordan. This group also includes Cold War-era Afghanistan, 2000 Al Gore, and both participants in the Hundred Year War.

Ravage!!!
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Magic Johnson lost 4 NBA championships. Do I care if Labron loses one? Nope.

when you are the best, more people are there to knock you down. Just the nature of being at the top of the heap.

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm fully on board the Mavericks train.

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 09:37 PM
LeBron is choking again.

Dirk is not. Amazing performance.

Tned
06-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Dirk struggled most of the game, but late in the 4th, he's made some big shots.

MOtorboat
06-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Dirk struggled most of the game, but late in the 4th, he's made some big shots.

When stars shine. Wade and LeBron are just spotting up. Weak, weak, weak.

Oh wow. Great layup by Dirk.

pnbronco
06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I am so dang happy for the Mavs, Dirk, Kidd, JJ and Terry!!!!! :elefant:

Big...big Congts to the Mavs....:beer:

Tned
06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I work with two diehard Dallas fans, who have had a lot of dissapointement since Miami beat the Mavs four or five years ago. They are going to be happy tomorrow.

pnbronco
06-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Dirk gets the MVP.....so very well deserved....:2thumbs:

atwater27
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't recall EVER seeing that kind of 3 point mastery in the NBA finals. Dallas shot lights out from beyond the arc. Contested and uncontested. There is really nothing you can do when people are shooting 3's at that accuracy rate. If Miami wants to win a finals, they need to develop a few of those types of guys, and get a Center worth a shit.

Tned
06-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't recall EVER seeing that kind of 3 point mastery in the NBA finals. Dallas shot lights out from beyond the arc. Contested and uncontested. There is really nothing you can do when people are shooting 3's at that accuracy rate. If Miami wants to win a finals, they need to develop a few of those types of guys, and get a Center worth a shit.

Yea, and focus more on their own games and not mocking the best player on the other team.

atwater27
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Yea, and focus more on their own games and not mocking the best player on the other team.

That had absolutely no impact on the game, and was colossaly overblown. Dallas beat them fair and square. a lame joke caught by the camera wouldn't have changed anything one iota.

Broncospsycho77
06-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I agree with atwater on that one. It just doesn't seem like Dirk gets his motivation like that. Congrats to Dallas for delivering a great performance, especially to guys like Barea and Terry who filled in for Dirk when he needed it most.

Also, was anyone else somewhat surprised that Cuban gave away the ultimate "**** you" moment by not having Stern give him the trophy? Strangely classy behavior by him for the entirety of the celebrations, down to the PR-esque shots of him messing with his kids.

A trophy well deserved by the Mavs, and a "finally" moment for both Dirk and Kidd. Have to say that there aren't many forwards better than Dirk... Ever. It's a really, really short list. One dude who totally deserves the ring for carrying a team of nobodies and washouts as far as he did.

sneakers
06-13-2011, 01:44 AM
HHahahahhahahahahhahaahahahhahhahahahahahahhahhaha haaa!

sneakers
06-13-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm pretty sure Magic Johnson lost 4 NBA championships. Do I care if Labron loses one? Nope.

when you are the best, more people are there to knock you down. Just the nature of being at the top of the heap.

Hasn't he lost two now?????

MOtorboat
06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Hasn't he lost two now?????

Yes.

Tned
06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
LeBron is a dick. Did you guys see his cracks about how the loser fans will go back to their pathetic lives, while he lives the rich life (paraphrasing his meaning):

"All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. So they can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they got to get back to the real world at some point."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/06/lebron-james-to-hating-fans-worry-about-your-own-lousy-life/1

MNPatsFan
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Hasn't he lost two now?????Yes. He has also essentially disappeared in each of the series his team has lost during the last five seasons.

MileHighCrew
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Pippen will retract his statement?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I agree with atwater on that one. It just doesn't seem like Dirk gets his motivation like that. Congrats to Dallas for delivering a great performance, especially to guys like Barea and Terry who filled in for Dirk when he needed it most.

Also, was anyone else somewhat surprised that Cuban gave away the ultimate "**** you" moment by not having Stern give him the trophy? Strangely classy behavior by him for the entirety of the celebrations, down to the PR-esque shots of him messing with his kids.

A trophy well deserved by the Mavs, and a "finally" moment for both Dirk and Kidd. Have to say that there aren't many forwards better than Dirk... Ever. It's a really, really short list. One dude who totally deserves the ring for carrying a team of nobodies and washouts as far as he did.

I thought it was a very classy move by Cuban to have the trophy given first to the original owner of the Mavs.

pnbronco
06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
LeBron is a dick. Did you guys see his cracks about how the loser fans will go back to their pathetic lives, while he lives the rich life (paraphrasing his meaning):

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/06/lebron-james-to-hating-fans-worry-about-your-own-lousy-life/1

The old saying that adversity does not create character it reveals it. It's also the same in revealing someone that doesn't have any humility or know how to deal with adversity. This is just a sour grapes statement IMO. People have told LeBron that's he is so special his whole life that he has not learned how to deal with "real life" and it's ups and downs. I wonder if he has anyone in his life to call him on his crap and get him back to the drawing board of good work ethics and just to grow up?

What I found so interesting in this whole series is that Dirk was a King of basketball in Germany. The best of the best but instead of living on that title there he came to the US. He struggled so much as first but it just made him work harder. Then he has lived with the title of being a choker on the big game for the last many years. Again he used it as energy to drive him to work harder. He said something to the effect that the Mavs played as a team with heart. It's so good to see that heart win out over super egos.

The picture of Terry hugging Dirk was just priceless, you could see the giant elephant got off both their backs.

I also thought that it was classy for Cuban to have the trophy given to the original owner. A once in a life time experience for him.

I have a bigger smile on my face today and I'm inspired that hard work still has a place in our country even in a basketball final......:D

GEM
06-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Dirk said....if it takes a comment like that from other guys to motivate me there is something wrong. The fact that it is the finals with the championship on the line is enough for me.

Though, I do have to say....maybe those other guys should keep their mouth shut until after they win the championship. If you are going to play the ego, you better play the game to back it up.

GEM
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh Chosen One....King....taking your talents to South Beach....Cleveland woke up with a huge smile on their faces today. Those pos scrubs will go back to their measly existances today, but they'll do it with a smile on their face.

Jerk. How anyone could route for a guy like that who is so freaking full of themselves, while having done NOTHING, is beyond me.

Chosen One...so if you're the Chosen One and you just lost your second championship, what does that make guys who have won a couple? What does that make Dirk? Is he freaking God? Deflate your ego a bit, maybe you'd have some room in there to figure out how to show up in the 4th quarter.

pnbronco
06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh Chosen One....King....taking your talents to South Beach....Cleveland woke up with a huge smile on their faces today. Those pos scrubs will go back to their measly existances today, but they'll do it with a smile on their face.

Jerk. How anyone could route for a guy like that who is so freaking full of themselves, while having done NOTHING, is beyond me.

Chosen One...so if you're the Chosen One and you just lost your second championship, what does that make guys who have won a couple? What does that make Dirk? Is he freaking God? Deflate your ego a bit, maybe you'd have some room in there to figure out how to show up in the 4th quarter.

:whip: You would have him whipped into shape so fast......:laugh: That's why you would never get the job...put too many enablers out of work.....:D

GEM
06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
:whip: You would have him whipped into shape so fast......:laugh: That's why you would never get the job...put too many enablers out of work.....:D

You know it, sister!!! :lol: I'd pop the valve on his inflatable ego! :D

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
This is great

MIAMI -- On the night he finally found vengeance, eternal validation and the highest measure of victory to wag in the face of anyone who had ever called him soft or mocked his cough, Dirk Nowitzki wasn't going to let the world see his tears.

So he left the scene of his greatest triumph before a single teammate or coach could grab him for a hug, faster than he has ever hurdled a scorer's table to bolt off the floor, all to sneak back to the visitors' locker room.

To cry alone.

"I could already feel the tears coming," Nowitzki said in an AmericanAirlines Arena hallway, beaming now as he explained the mad dash at the final buzzer that superseded any urge he felt to dance on the court inside this house of old horrors … or to stick around and find out how it feels to get a congratulatory man hug from Dwyane Wade.

"I had to recover, bro."

The Dallas Mavericks had to drag Nowitzki back to the podium of champions Sunday night, so he could hoist the two trophies of his dreams, all because he didn't want anyone to see him like this, whether they were in the building or watching on TV. He admittedly "cried like a baby" back in 2008 upon clinching Germany's qualification for the Olympics for the first time in his career, but Nowitzki confessed that he was literally shaking with shock in the immediate aftermath of the Mavs' 105-95 dismantling of the Miami Heat to win the 2011 NBA Finals.

rest of article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=nowitzkigame6-110613

MasterShake
06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

And he has to wake up today, and tomorrow, and the rest of his life knowing that he blew his shot at a title! :lol:

I usually don't relish in someones defeat, but Lebron is a punk.

Broncospsycho77
06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Man, all of this Finals hoopla resulted in me liking Dirk.

I don't want to like Dirk. I liked it better when I could just envision him as some sort of German robot who couldn't post up... Even though that caricature has been outdated for over a half decade.

But now, it's probably final that I not only respect him and the ridiculouslness that comprises his game (that high of a grip for his jump shot and that kind of accuracy?), but also pretty much everything he stands for.

Bummer.

Go Nuggets.

DallasChief
06-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I'd like the name of this thread changed to "Redemption".