PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Should Sit On Their Quarterbacks Awhile

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't think they will get good value for any of them when trading resumes in the league. Teams who drafted new quarterbacks (six early round picks) will be all starry eyed about their potential and expecting them to step in and be Ben Roethlisberger as a rookie. Other teams might hope their stopgap guy (John Beck, Kevin Kolb, Matt Hasselbeck, etc.) is the answer. But a couple of months into the season there will be a crying need for decent quarterbacks who aren't too young, too old, or too ****ed up. That is when they could really get a team over the barrel in a trade deal.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I think its the other way around. Since teams didn't get a chance to work with their young rookie QBs, they will more likely be looking ot sign a veteran to hold the reigns for a season.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I think its the other way around. Since teams didn't get a chance to work with their young rookie QBs, they will more likely be looking ot sign a veteran to hold the reigns for a season.

Vets still have to learn a playbook with a new team too. Most of the rookies have that at least. A vet brought in from another offensive system isn't going to be further ahead.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Vets still have to learn a playbook with a new team too. Most of the rookies have that at least. A vet brought in from another offensive system isn't going to be further ahead.

Sure he would. The difference in systems is nothing more than terminology. All the pass routes from one system to the next are the same. Reading defenses are something you have to have experience doing.

I'm sure there are several teams ready to take the plunge with the rookie QBs as they don't see a benefit of renting a vet to lead a team that isn't ready to contend for a single season. However, a team like Minnesota may very well be looking to compete NOW with the team they have, thus being one of the teams that used a pick on a QB that would most likely be looking to trade for a vet QB.

TXBRONC
05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Sure he would. The difference in systems is nothing more than terminology. All the pass routes from one system to the next are the same. Reading defenses are something you have to have experience doing.

I'm sure there are several teams ready to take the plunge with the rookie QBs as they don't see a benefit of renting a vet to lead a team that isn't ready to contend for a single season. However, a team like Minnesota may very well be looking to compete NOW with the team they have, thus being one of the teams that used a pick on a QB that would most likely be looking to trade for a vet QB.

That's why if Orton is traded you bring in someone like Jake Delhomme or some other veteran who could be serviceable.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
That's why if Orton is traded you bring in someone like Jake Delhomme or some other veteran who could be serviceable.

Please don't tempt John Fox. Please.

BroncoJoe
05-31-2011, 04:49 PM

I think the above becomes more of a problem in your original post, not at the beginning of the year.

TXBRONC
05-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Delhomme comes to mind because he's played for Fox before but there will probably be several veteran quarterbacks that could serve as mentor.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 04:54 PM

I don't see it being a problem. They bring in a guy like Delhomme to purely be a sideline/veteran mentor to help Tebow. GIves him someone to watch film with, learn how to read film, learn how to dissect NFL defenses, and someone to talk with on the sidelines.. someone tto give tips as to what to look for in given situations.

Delhomme would be a good guy for that. Its not someone that would be coming in expecting to take the job over from Tebow, not someone that is expecting a starting spot, knows their role, and can fill that role. Not like we would seeing Jake starting.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I think the above becomes more of a problem in your original post, not at the beginning of the year.

True, it's not easy to bring in a new quarterback during the season, but I think some teams will end up desperate. Teams that threw rookies out there are watching them get killed. Teams that hoped to squeeze another year out of an aging journeyman are regretting their decision. Plus the usual injuries or off field issues that incapacitate a few of them every year.

BroncoStud
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't think they will get good value for any of them when trading resumes in the league. Teams who drafted new quarterbacks (six early round picks) will be all starry eyed about their potential and expecting them to step in and be Ben Roethlisberger as a rookie. Other teams might hope their stopgap guy (John Beck, Kevin Kolb, Matt Hasselbeck, etc.) is the answer. But a couple of months into the season there will be a crying need for decent quarterbacks who aren't too young, too old, or too ****ed up. That is when they could really get a team over the barrel in a trade deal.

Wrong...

NightTerror218
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Delhomme prob still thinks he will be a starter where ever he goes. Guys like that tend to be bad mentors. I see some other Vets as good mentors but not Delhomme (even if I do like Oregon State).

HORSEPOWER 56
05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Delhomme prob still thinks he will be a starter where ever he goes. Guys like that tend to be bad mentors. I see some other Vets as good mentors but not Delhomme (even if I do like Oregon State).

That's why a soft spoken, smart, experienced vet like Mark Bulger would be the perfect guy to mentor Tebow/Quinn. Bulger has no illusions of competing for the starting job at 36 yrs old and he's not some hot-blooded, poor decision-making "gun-slinger without the gun" like Delhomme who will try to compete for the starting job just so he can throw 20 INTs in 3 games.

BroncoStud
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM

No kidding.

nevcraw
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
this is interesting thinking but highly unlikely. how many qb's are traded a month in the season?

orton's only value to the broncos is before he plays again and reminds everyone of who he is and before he becomes a an FA.
I would like to keep quinn.. my gut says he is much better in year 2 under MM.

Lonestar
05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Wrong...

Number three. We have to stop agreeing Ike this

TXBRONC
05-31-2011, 09:01 PM
That's why a soft spoken, smart, experienced vet like Mark Bulger would be the perfect guy to mentor Tebow/Quinn. Bulger has no illusions of competing for the starting job at 36 yrs old and he's not some hot-blooded, poor decision-making "gun-slinger without the gun" like Delhomme who will try to compete for the starting job just so he can throw 20 INTs in 3 games.

I don't about that HP. Bulger would know what his role would be but Delhomme wouldn't? If Tebow is the starter I have hard time believing that Fox wouldn't make clear to any veteran quarterback like a Bulger or Delhomme what their role would be.

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I suppose there is nothing to stop two teams from making a deal on the sly prior to the lockout ending. If the quarterback in question was kosher with it, his new team would slip him a playbook and he could use the down time to learn the new system. It could already be happening with someone like Palmer, McNabb, or Kolb. Even Orton.

BroncoStud
06-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Number three. We have to stop agreeing Ike this

You should be glad to share so many common viewpoints with me LS... I make this look GOOD. :elefant: