PDA

View Full Version : Interesting sidebar on the Scheffler trade

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
When the team traded Scheffler to Detroit (for a fifth round pick) they left themselves thin as far as a pass catching tight end was concerned. The fifth round pick was used on Perrish Cox who became the nickel back, making 2009 second rounder Alphonso Smith redundant. So the team made another deal with the Lions, getting Dan Gronkowski and a sixth round pick for Smith. Gronk moved ahead of Richard Quinn immediately on the depth chart and was threatening Daniel Graham (since released) before he was hurt near the end of the season. The sixth round pick was packaged with an extra fifth rounder the club acquired trading down in round two, to Green Bay for their fourth round pick in 2011 (Julius Thomas), and their seventh round pick (Virgil Green). Interesting enough the Packers used the fifth rounder on D.J. Williams another tight end. If you follow all the convoluted threads through, it becomes a case of the Broncos ending up with three tight ends (Gronkowski, Thomas, and Green) in place of two others (Scheffler and Williams). I think.:shocked:

TXBRONC
05-31-2011, 03:55 PM
When the team traded Scheffler to Detroit (for a fifth round pick) they left themselves thin as far as a pass catching tight end was concerned. The fifth round pick was used on Perrish Cox who became the nickel back, making 2009 second rounder Alphonso Smith redundant. So the team made another deal with the Lions, getting Dan Gronkowski and a sixth round pick for Smith. Gronk moved ahead of Richard Quinn immediately on the depth chart and was threatening Daniel Graham (since released) before he was hurt near the end of the season. The sixth round pick was packaged with an extra fifth rounder the club acquired trading down in round two, to Green Bay for their fourth round pick in 2011 (Julius Thomas), and their seventh round pick (Virgil Green). Interesting enough the Packers used the fifth rounder on D.J. Williams another tight end. If you follow all the convoluted threads through, it becomes a case of the Broncos ending up with three tight ends (Gronkowski, Thomas, and Green) in place of two others (Scheffler and Williams). I think.:shocked:

What? :huh:

Green Bay's picks have nothing to do with what Denver did. Also we didn't have a 4th or 5th round pick until EFX moved down in the second round.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
What? :huh:

Green Bay's picks have nothing to do with what Denver did. Also we didn't have a 4th or 5th round pick until EFX moved down in the second round.

Thomas and Green were the two players Broncos drafted with the picks they got from Green Bay. One of the picks traded to G.B. was the fifth rounder acquired in the earlier deal (as I mentioned), the other was the sixth rounder that came from Detroit with A. Smith.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Please, for the love of all that is holy, end the lockout and negotiate a labor agreement.

Please.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
LOL, I just thought it was interesting that the Broncos ended up with a handful of tight ends out of the Scheffler deal. However indirectly. Now we can see how Gronkowski, Thomas, Green, do in relation to Scheffler. I think Quinn was drafted to replace Graham, since he is more of a blocking tight end.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 04:56 PM
yes... we traded away a TE we didn't need to trade away, only to spend more draft picks and trade trying to replace him. Same at WR, Same at QB, same same same

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
yes... we traded away a TE we didn't need to trade away, only to spend more draft picks and trade trying to replace him. Same at WR, Same at QB, same same same

It's possible they could get Scheffler back on the waiver wire this year. He was third string in Detroit by the end of the season, and he is probably not a guy you keep around for his special teams contributions.

Tned-Mobile
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
LOL, I just thought it was interesting that the Broncos ended up with a handful of tight ends out of the Scheffler deal. However indirectly. Now we can see how Gronkowski, Thomas, Green, do in relation to Scheffler. I think Quinn was drafted to replace Graham, since he is more of a blocking tight end.

I'm not sure if you are right or wrong in the A=B with the trades, as I didn't have time to double check.

That said, I think there is a better than even money chance that Scheffler and DJ Williams would be better than the three we've got.

Juriga72
05-31-2011, 06:10 PM
It's possible they could get Scheffler back on the waiver wire this year. He was third string in Detroit by the end of the season, and he is probably not a guy you keep around for his special teams contributions.

Well... Since Detroit JUST spent a first rounder on DT, ...... MAYBE Scheff could bring Suh with him.

I'd go for THAT

Dzone
05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
We drafted two TEs with hella athletic skills. Our guys can out vertical jump and out standing broad jump Scheffler and can out bench him too..LOL...but You never can tell whats going to happen. We should be able to see this season if we got the Schaft in the Scheflfer Schanahannigans...

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Well... Since Detroit JUST spent a first rounder on DT, ...... MAYBE Scheff could bring Suh with him.

I'd go for THAT

I looked into the Detroit thing with Scheffler, and he was more then involved in the offense then the thread indicates. He was the dink and dunk TE last season, and I don't think that will change next season. Detroit ran a ton of double TE sets, and it wouldn't make sense to get rid of Scheffler.

silkamilkamonico
05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
We drafted two TEs with hella athletic skills. Our guys can out vertical jump and out standing broad jump Scheffler and can out bench him too..LOL...but You never can tell whats going to happen. We should be able to see this season if we got the Schaft in the Scheflfer Schanahannigans...

I haven't been keeping up enough to understand what Denver is going to try to do on offense, but we drafted 2 TE's that are the polar opposite of a John Fox based TE in his power running scheme.

nevcraw
05-31-2011, 07:26 PM

everyday I thank my lucky stars that Mcdouchenoodle dumped that cancer..

and let me also say be 1st to mention the elephant in this thread --- Kyle Orton. there I said it.

Softskull
05-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Although I like the rookies upside, the one with the most upside is raw as hell. So we trade a good TE (183 recs, 15TDs) for guys with potential (9 recs combined). I think the best part of the trade is that McDaniels was fired.

Dreadnought
05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
everyday I thank my lucky stars that Mcdouchenoodle dumped that cancer..

and let me also say be 1st to mention the elephant in this thread --- Kyle Orton. there I said it.

When McDaniels claimed a guy had an "attitude problem" the smart money bets the problem was with McDaniels and not the guy in question.

A TE that can average 15+ YPC in this day and age is a rare bird; I'm guessing the two ersatz Schefflers we drafted won't be able to do the same, but perhaps not. Oh well - just more stupid McD asshattery, and in the past. I don't think he's an ideal dink n' dunk TE, being more a medium to deep threat, but that's Detroit's problem to figure out or not

TXBRONC
05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I haven't been keeping up enough to understand what Denver is going to try to do on offense, but we drafted 2 TE's that are the polar opposite of a John Fox based TE in his power running scheme.

A good receiving tight end is usually one of the best friends of a young quarterback.

Lonestar
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Y'all do realize that ts can't/won't block. And the offense thatwas here AT the time required a blocking TE That can catch. Not a receiving TE. He was given a year to impress he josh man

But instead he would up being #3 on the DET depth chart.

Now we have TE same basic offense not sure what he would now again

nevcraw
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Y'all do realize that ts can't/won't block. And the offense thatwas here AT the time required a blocking TE That can catch. Not a receiving TE. He was given a year to impress he josh man

It was the josh man who didn't impress. and he dumped a pre-prime second rounder for an attitude he just all of sudden grew..
and by third string you meant to say 2nd, right?

Softskull
05-31-2011, 08:51 PM

So Jr, you read something on this page and start quoting it as fact? He was a second stringer to Pettigrew. There's only 4-5 guys in the league that wouldn't be second stringers to Pettigrew.

We drafted a couple o' (potential) pass catching TEs because we want to transition them to blockers?

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
We traded for a PASS CATCHING TE from Detroit.... why would McD trade for a pass-catching TE if we didn't USE one??? :confused:

Its also ridiculously silly to say Scheffler "wouldn't" block. Its absurd.

I mean, I know its a STRETCH to believe that McD didn't know what he was doing and all, but to trade away a pass-catching TE, only to then turn around and trade your first-round pick CB a year later FOR a pass-catching TE from the VERY team that you traded the original pass-catching TE to...might seem to indicate he was Waaayyy out of his league.

I'm pretty sure Hillis was on the roster for a year to "impress" McD as well. Nepoleon was sure on top of that one as well.

horsepig
06-01-2011, 12:02 AM
So Jr, you read something on this page and start quoting it as fact? He was a second stringer to Pettigrew. There's only 4-5 guys in the league that wouldn't be second stringers to Pettigrew.

We drafted a couple o' (potential) pass catching TEs because we want to transition them to blockers?

NO, no, backers, backers.

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Although I like the rookies upside, the one with the most upside is raw as hell. So we trade a good TE (183 recs, 15TDs) for guys with potential (9 recs combined). I think the best part of the trade is that McDaniels was fired.

There wasn't much to indicate that Scheffler would have been used much in Denver last season. They used a vertical passing offense, with Graham and Quinn blocking primarily. Gronkowski was no slouch, either. He is a good all round tight end who blocks well and can catch passes if targeted. I could see him holding down the #1 job next season. He was really coming on when he got hurt near the end of the season.

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 12:36 AM

Will Heller was playing more than Scheffler by the end of the year in Detroit. Behind Pettigrew. Heller is primarily a blocking tight end but still caught as many passes as Scheffler the last few games. I think it's pretty clear that he was third string. Pettigrew is always going to be the prime passing target there, and if they bring in a second tight end it is more likely to be a blocker.

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 12:38 AM
We traded for a PASS CATCHING TE from Detroit.... why would McD trade for a pass-catching TE if we didn't USE one??? :confused:

Its also ridiculously silly to say Scheffler "wouldn't" block. Its absurd.

I mean, I know its a STRETCH to believe that McD didn't know what he was doing and all, but to trade away a pass-catching TE, only to then turn around and trade your first-round pick CB a year later FOR a pass-catching TE from the VERY team that you traded the original pass-catching TE to...might seem to indicate he was Waaayyy out of his league.

I'm pretty sure Hillis was on the roster for a year to "impress" McD as well. Nepoleon was sure on top of that one as well. If you're talking about Gronkowski from Detroit, he is a top blocking tight end who can also catch the ball. The rookies they drafted seem to be strictly receiver types. Quinn is strictly a blocker.

Tned-Mobile
06-01-2011, 01:52 AM
When McDaniels claimed a guy had an "attitude problem" the smart money bets the problem was with McDaniels and not the guy in question.

A TE that can average 15+ YPC in this day and age is a rare bird; I'm guessing the two ersatz Schefflers we drafted won't be able to do the same, but perhaps not. Oh well - just more stupid McD asshattery, and in the past. I don't think he's an ideal dink n' dunk TE, being more a medium to deep threat, but that's Detroit's problem to figure out or not

I'm constantly amazed how people that have come back from the dark side and now realize/admit that McDaniels did gr8 harm to this franchise, still hang on to" his" version of what happened to some of the players he alienated or forced out. It was either Rod Smith or Keith Burns that was quoted last week talking about how much better it felt at Dove Valley now vs. Last year and year before. The only cancer was McDaniels.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm constantly amazed how people that have come back from the dark side and now realize/admit that McDaniels did gr8 harm to this franchise, still hang on to" his" version of what happened to some of the players he alienated or forced out. It was either Rod Smith or Keith Burns that was quoted last week talking about how much better it felt at Dove Valley now vs. Last year and year before. The only cancer was McDaniels.

Unless its Jay.. THEN it was ALL Jay no matter what.lol

Seriously...trading a pass catching TE for two less skilled pass catching te's..... genius

Lonestar
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM

We have a new regime that wants to have pass catching TEs. Not sure which downs these guys are going to play since we seem to be going to a run first offense. So Quinn and maybe gronk will
Most likey see more time on the field.

As I've said before I have limited research time and desire to do so on this iphone. I did not follow this mutt after he left here but seem to remember reading elsewhere he saw very little time on the field Ans had been relegated to the #3 spot.

So if you say he was the solid #2 there ok by me. Frankly I have zero use for a TE that can't or won't block at the Los in any scheme they would be worthless to me as a teat on a boar.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:13 AM

I've said several occasions that before McDaniels came we never heard about Scheffler being a problem in the locker room, on the field, or out in public. After McDaniels gets here all of the sudden it's Scheffler that's a locker room cancer.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Unless its Jay.. THEN it was ALL Jay no matter what.lol

Seriously...trading a pass catching TE for two less skilled pass catching te's..... genius

We were looking for smart, tough, and physical football players.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 08:16 AM
We have a new regime that wants to have pass catching TEs. Not sure which downs these guys are going to play since we seem to be going to a run first offense. So Quinn and maybe gronk will
Most likey see more time on the field.

As I've said before I have limited research time and desire to do so on this iphone. I did not follow this mutt after he left here but seem to remember reading elsewhere he saw very little time on the field Ans had been relegated to the #3 spot.

So if you say he was the solid #2 there ok by me. Frankly I have zero use for a TE that can't or won't block at the Los in any scheme they would be worthless to me as a teat on a boar.

You must have hated Shannon Sharpe with a passion.

Softskull
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Will Heller was playing more than Scheffler by the end of the year in Detroit. Behind Pettigrew. Heller is primarily a blocking tight end but still caught as many passes as Scheffler the last few games. I think it's pretty clear that he was third string. Pettigrew is always going to be the prime passing target there, and if they bring in a second tight end it is more likely to be a blocker.

Scheff was injured 5 of the last six games of the year (staying healthy has been his main issue). The only game he was really healthy was the final game of the year.

turftoad
06-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Yep....... while we should have drafting defense all along.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Yep....... while we should have drafting defense all along.

One of little joshy's top priorities was to fix the defense. All he did was schemes but not the quality of the players. Go figure.

Bosco
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Interesting.

muse
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Scheffler's problems with blocking go right back - I never did see a marked improvement during his career. If he had, there's no doubt he would've been the #1 TE. The guy was an asset and his vertical ability was tremendous - that said, guys like Jeb Putzier were able to put up 500+ yards in Shanny's O too (with a 15.9 YPC by the way. Just saying. Tony's was 16.1 in 2008).

From Shanny to JMcMFD to McCoy, our TEs have been and still are expected to block first. This is why Putzier left in 2006. Why Scheffler went after the 09 season. I'm almost certain that Barone will have put JT through a rigorous set of blocking drills before we drafted him. Green does buck the trend a little I guess, but I think he plays more of an H-back role anyway (similar to Gronkowski's last year).

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Scheffler's problems with blocking go right back - I never did see a marked improvement during his career. If he had, there's no doubt he would've been the #1 TE. The guy was an asset and his vertical ability was tremendous - that said, guys like Jeb Putzier were able to put up 500+ yards in Shanny's O too (with a 15.9 YPC by the way. Just saying. Tony's was 16.1 in 2008).

From Shanny to JMcMFD to McCoy, our TEs have been and still are expected to block first. This is why Putzier left in 2006. Why Scheffler went after the 09 season. I'm almost certain that Barone will have put JT through a rigorous set of blocking drills before we drafted him. Green does buck the trend a little I guess, but I think he plays more of an H-back role anyway (similar to Gronkowski's last year).

Jeb Putzier in four years in Denver he put up a whopping 2 touchdowns. The guy would disappear in the red zone.

Btw for his career he has a total of 3 touchdowns.

robert ethan
06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Virgil Green could be huge if his knee holds up. The guy has the speed and explosiveness of a wide receiver at 250 pounds. Beat a few of Vernon Davis' marks at the Combine. Interestingly he ran the same 40 time as Scheffler did back in 2006. Sheff is a couple inches taller though.

muse
06-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Jeb Putzier in four years in Denver he put up a whopping 2 touchdowns. The guy would disappear in the red zone.

Btw for his career he has a total of 3 touchdowns.

That's true, although he did play in the days where we could run the ball into the endzone. Still, pretty poor. Scheffler wasn't exactly a redzone machine either. Not compared to the guys who are simply money down there.