PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl-winning QBs top list of game’s best signal-callers

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Group D (16-20)
1. Matt Cassel, Chiefs: The trade for Cassel proved to be a great move by the Chiefs. Very efficient quarterback in 2010 with 27 touchdowns and just seven picks. He gets a new receiving weapon in Jonathan Baldwin this season and is probably headed to Group B or C next year.

2. Jay Cutler, Bears: He takes too much criticism for his "body language." The accusations after his knee injury in the NFC title game are just an example of his bad image. Another year under offensive coordinator Mike Martz and he's headed up from Group D.

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills: The Bills know what they have in Fitzpatrick and passed on adding a quarterback in the draft. Get him some more protection and targets, and he will improve on his stellar 2010 production.

4. Kyle Orton, Broncos: Played in 13 games and still threw for 3,653 yards. He might get traded when the lockout is over since a number of teams will want a QB with a 32-29 career record and 12,000-plus passing yards.

5. Mark Sanchez, Jets: Impressive start to career with a 23-14 record, including the playoffs, but needs to improve on his passing with only 29 touchdowns in 33 regular-season games.

(31-35)
1. Andy Dalton, Bengals: With Palmer probably retired or gone, Dalton will get a chance to play, and with A.J. Green at the end of his passes to go with a solid running game, he should have a promising rookie season.

2. Shaun Hill, Lions: Another backup who played better than some starters around the league a year ago. He led the Lions to two late wins.

3. Cam Newton, Panthers: If he doesn't get into camp soon and get some coaching, he will not have a chance to win as a rookie. He has the talent, but it will be a tough year with a weak supporting cast.

4. Tim Tebow, Broncos: He didn't play poorly when he got his chance last year. As one general manger said, "I should have known he would do a decent job on the field the way he competes." This is a deciding season for his future in Denver.

5. Alex Smith, 49ers: He was starting to come around when Norv Turner was his offensive coordinator back in 2006 and I'm hoping Jim Harbaugh can do the same thing for Smith now. His 19-31 record with more interceptions (53) than touchdowns (51) is a heavy burden to carry around.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ffd82d/article/super-bowlwinning-qbs-top-list-of-games-best-signalcallers

Ravage!!!
05-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Interesting article... although I would disagree with several of his group "C" guys. I just don't think much of Flacco. He did improve this last year, but I just personally haven't seen anything from him that really impresses me. Palmer hasn't been good for several years now, and although I did like Freeman last year, I personally would like to see more from him( But, can't take that away from him until there is something to take away from him). If he comes down to where I think he will and this same author still ranks him in that same group, then I'll just say that I disagree with that ranking.

I think Matt Shaub gets WAYyy too much love.... and I'm still very VERy skeptical on Vick.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Further proof that Orton is just as good as Flabby Neckrolls. All the draft picks they got in the deal were gravy.

chazoe60
05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I dont understand ranking Tebow below some guys who have never even played a down in the NFL. I didn't read the article but the rankings seem a little off of you're going to put TT behind those guys. Hell, he scored more points than Orton with the same cast of characters.

I'm fine with Orton being ranked above him based on body of work but I honestly think TT will be better and fairly quickly.

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I dont understand ranking Tebow below some guys who have never even played a down in the NFL. I didn't read the article but the rankings seem a little off of you're going to put TT behind those guys. Hell, he scored more points than Orton with the same cast of characters.

I'm fine with Orton being ranked above him based on body of work but I honestly think TT will be better and fairly quickly.

Well the reason your bitchin about how Tebow is below guys with no experince is the same logic you use to justify how Tebow will be better than Orton; potential.

chazoe60
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Well the reason your bitchin about how Tebow is below guys with no experince is the same logic you use to justify how Tebow will be better than Orton; potential.

And I also admitted that Orton should be ranked above Tebow at this point but you are always too busy wanting to start an argument with me that you failed to read that part.

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
And I also admitted that Orton should be ranked above Tebow at this point but you are always too busy wanting to start an argument with me that you failed to read that part.

You did. Okay.

Nothing wrong about my response. Wasnt trying to bait you Chaz. Dont be so sensitive because I know your not....

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM

They are sorted alphabetically inside the groups. So Raggedy Andy and Ped Head Newton may not be rated ahead of Tebow, but just in the same vicinity.

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 02:28 PM
They are sorted alphabetically inside the groups. So Raggedy Andy and Ped Head Newton may not be rated ahead of Tebow, but just in the same vicinity.

Didnt notice that. :salute:

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM

based on what?

The ability to run the HB option pass play to the flat?

Tebow never threw down field in College. So what makes you think he do it against the NFL?

chazoe60
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Oh. That's chickenshit. Here's a list but I don't have the balls to make a real list. Just my opinion. I thought the list was a little off everywhere. Like having Brees above Manning or Rivers above Rodgers.

May not be so bad afterall

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 02:32 PM
based on what?

Tebow never threw down field in College. So what makes you think he do it against the NFL?

Thats news to me. I thought Tebow was an excellent passer in every way at Florida.

chazoe60
05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
based on what?

That record is still skipping huh?

But to answer your redundant ass question: because I've seen him do it with my own eyes.

slim
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
based on what?

I call bullshit.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
based on what?

I think you meant to say Sam Bradford there. The guy who had the lowest ypc average in the league last season. Three ypc less than Tebow, I believe.:coffee: Tebow averaged the same passing yardage in his three starts as Bradford did over the 16 game season, but he threw less passes per game to do it.

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
I think you meant to say Sam Bradford there. The guy who had the lowest ypc average in the league last season. Three ypc less than Tebow, I believe.:coffee: Tebow averaged the same passing yardage in his three starts as Bradford did over the 16 game season, but he threw less passes per game to do it.

95% of Tebows pass plays were run options to the flat. Percy Harvin/Brandon James, and a few other sub 4.4 receivers never faced double coverage. Most of them were taking bubble screens in the flat, and they would run up field for 10 yards.

I don't think Tebow's receivers ever faced double coverage in college. How is Tebow going to throw into double coverage in the pro's.

Go back and look at his LSU game, when he ran the HB option plays 14 times in a row, and hits a bootleg for a completion.

topscribe
05-31-2011, 02:56 PM
95% of Tebows pass plays were run options to the flat. Percy Harvin/Brandon James, and a few other sub 4.4 receivers never faced double coverage. Most of them were taking bubble screens in the flat, and they would run up field for 10 yards.

I don't think Tebow's receivers ever faced double coverage in college. How is Tebow going to throw into double coverage in the pro's.

Go back and look at his LSU game, when he ran the HB option plays 14 times in a row, and hits a bootleg for a completion.

That is why a QB's performance in college is never the last word for the NFL.
Windows are much, much tighter in the pros, schemes are more complex, and
defenders are much smarter, more agile, and faster. I have seen Heisman
winning QBs go bust in the NFL, and this one reason why . . .

-----

NorCalBronco7
05-31-2011, 03:18 PM

Tebow did play in a system built on speed and getting wrs in single coverage. A lot of times the wrs were wide open. But Tebow always hit them in stride. Sure, he didnt have the same demands a pro-style offense would have, but he did amazing in what he was asked to do within the Flordia system. Thats all you can ask for, right?

Coming from the spread option there are tons of questions about his ability to translate to the NFL. But nobody knows those answers until he gets on the field for a season and shows us.

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
That is why a QB's performance in college is never the last word for the NFL.
Windows are much, much tighter in the pros, schemes are more complex, and
defenders are much smarter, more agile, and faster. I have seen Heisman
winning QBs go bust in the NFL, and this one reason why . . .

-----

I have no idea why Tebow or Dalton are even mentioned on the NFL list. They would be ranked behind every back up in the league to start. Tebow would have added value to the group of back-ups because of the few games he played last season. It's an insult to have Dalton rated ahead players who have been in the league for a ton of years like Kerry Collins.

A player like Kerry Collins with his years of experience would be much more valuable to a team and organization. His superbowl experience, and his pretty much successfull career is way more valuable then Tebow or Dalton put together.

I don't agree with the last part of the list, because I believe that your back-up QB needs to wear a lot of hats, they should half experienced, half coach, half QB, and be able to communicate the football language to the starter. If you have a career back-up QB, they are always more valuable then players coming out of the draft with no experience. Then another group should be listed as: the more valuable starting rookie QB or Potential starting QB.

robert ethan
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I have no idea why Tebow or Dalton are even mentioned on the NFL list. They would be ranked behind every back up in the league to start. Tebow would have added value to the group of back-ups because of the few games he played last season. It's an insult to have Dalton rated ahead players who have been in the league for a ton of years like Kerry Collins.

A player like Kerry Collins with his years of experience would be much more valuable to a team and organization. His superbowl experience, and his pretty much successfull career is way more valuable then Tebow or Dalton put together.

I don't agree with the last part of the list, because I believe that your back-up QB needs to wear a lot of hats, they should half experienced, half coach, half QB, and be able to communicate the football language to the starter. If you have a career back-up QB, they are always more valuable then players coming out of the draft with no experience. Then another group should be listed as: the more valuable starting rookie QB or Potential starting QB.
I hear you. Except in Tebow's case he had already passed a former starter and backup in Brady Quinn, so he probably deserves some consideration there.You could also make the case that he passed a Group D guy in Orton, the way things went down at the end of the year. Kyle seemed to think he was healthy enough to play the last couple of games.