PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel resigns from Ohio State

Nomad
05-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I thought he was beyond having to resign, I guess not. No more sweater vest!

What ya think broncophan!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

Poet
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Seems like an overreaction to me.

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Seems like an overreaction to me.

Not if the SI piece is as damning as I've heard...(Coming from ESPN this morning)

rcsodak
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Tressel's a cheat. Wins over morals. Good riddance.

Poet
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Not if the SI piece is as damning as I've heard...(Coming from ESPN this morning)

He's probably a hall of fame coach in a sport where everyone is cheater. The nobility of college sports is gone.

USC got popped.

OSU got popped.

The Cam Newton scandals.

Simply put, everyone knows the landscape, some are just better at burying the proverbial bodies better than others.

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
He's probably a hall of fame coach in a sport where everyone is cheater. The nobility of college sports is gone.

USC got popped.

OSU got popped.

The Cam Newton scandals.

Simply put, everyone knows the landscape, some are just better at burying the proverbial bodies better than others.

This is nothing new. This goes back decades. What surprises me is that people are surprised...

Poet
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM
This is nothing new. This goes back decades. What surprises me is that people are surprised...

Yeah, some of my friends that are Buckeye fans are just shocked!

It's like the people who were surprised when Saban ditched the Phins for 'Bama.

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, some of my friends that are Buckeye fans are just shocked!

It's like the people who were surprised when Saban ditched the Phins for 'Bama.

As far as I'm concerned, the Buffs aren't cheating enough...

I want the days of McCartney back. That man knew how to cover shit up!

What I get a true kick out of, is when another NCAA coach goes after a peer for cheating in the press...that is hilarious stuff. (I'm looking at you Lane Kiffin)

Poet
05-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey, I'd take Lane Kiffin as the Buckeyes coach.

Nomad
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey, I'd take Lane Kiffin as the Buckeyes coach.

Gruden's already being rumored:lol:!

I know there's cheating in every faucet of life especially sports but I never thought I'd see Ohio State have Tressel resign! So i'm shocked!

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Gruden's already being rumored:lol:!

I know there's cheating in every faucet of life especially sports but I never thought I'd see Ohio State have Tressel resign! So i'm shocked!

Tressel's mistake wasn't cheating, so I won't call him a cheat. Tressel's mistake was covering it up, at least as far as everything that has come out so far.

Slick
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
9-1 against Michigan.

I think my buddies from Columbus love that about him more than anything. Especially after Cooper.

Northman
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I wish UVA would cheat more.

Seriously though, i saw this coming. Tressel is a great coach and i blame the players more than him. The pressure for coaches (especially college ones) is huge to win and get the best players possible and sometimes that means getting players who have questionable characters. Now, Tressel may have tried to sweep this under the rug which he would be guilty of but its something ANY coach of some of the power house schools would be.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
EVERY coach will pick wins over morals. Every coach, if they have any success, already have made that choice.

As mentioned, I know Michigan fans are happy this happened, purely because now they have something to hold against OSU. But the reality is, they wish they had Tressel on their side, no matter how much they deny it.

rcsodak
05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I wish UVA would cheat more.

Seriously though, i saw this coming. Tressel is a great coach and i blame the players more than him. The pressure for coaches (especially college ones) is huge to win and get the best players possible and sometimes that means getting players who have questionable characters. Now, Tressel may have tried to sweep this under the rug which he would be guilty of but its something ANY coach of some of the power house schools would be.

Untrue. Only those that feel they're beyond reproach.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Full disclosure: I graduated from Ohio State in 2002. I was a junior when Jim Tressel was hired away from Youngstown State and in the nine seasons since my graduation, I've watched him get to eight BCS bowl games, win five of them, and capture seven Big Ten titles and a national championship.

And just as important, we've all seen him pulverize Michigan.

While I'm not exactly the most unbiased person when it comes to this subject, I can say his resignation on Monday is what needed to happen. As much as I think of Tressel as a guy, he knowingly broke the rules and any consequences that follow are on him, and not anyone else. I cover the NFL, and I'd say the same thing when referencing the Patriots' Spygate scandal, I'd say it when talking about players being fined for high hits, and I'm not going to start being a hypocrite now because it involves my school.

You knew the rules, you broke them. Story over.

But does that mean his career's over, too? Not necessarily. And the answer for Tressel might be at the level of football he's had 66 of his Buckeye players drafted to, and the level that his program served as a pipeline to.

My editor asked me this morning if I think Tressel could coach in the NFL. I didn't have to hesitate. Heck, yes. Of course, he could.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820156a7/article/tressel-could-coach-in-nfl-but-does-he-want-to

OrangeHoof
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, presenting the new head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals...

rcsodak
05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
More like future HS coach.

Poet
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Michigan would probably hire him right now.

sneakers
05-31-2011, 01:53 AM
Go Badgers!

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

There's the SI piece.

I'm starting to think that the NCAA just allows SI, ESPN and CBS to do all of their investigating, and then just react to the articles...(that statement was partially tongue in cheek...)

MNPatsFan
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Michigan would probably hire him right now.I doubt it. Michigan like their new coach. Based on everything I have heard and read, I think Michigan's new coach is going to be very successful without the stain that Tressel has.

Poet
05-31-2011, 11:12 AM
After reading that, resigning was an overboard reaction. He didn't report his players for getting tats, 500 bucks and a car?

That's worthy of stepping down from a prestigious school where he's had nothing but success?

:tsk:

broncophan
05-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I thought he was beyond having to resign, I guess not. No more sweater vest!

What ya think broncophan!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

I'm really bummed about him resigning....but it bothers me more that he was trying to cover for his players and hide...what were clearly ncaa infractions....however serious the infractions are.......hard to tell just what else will come forward now....i have read the SI article....it doesnt sound good.

Will be hard for the football program to recover from this...Tressel always recruited well...(and his coaching record speaks for itself)....esp....big time home state players who osu would always lose to Michigan for the longest time.

At some point...these spoiled punk kids have to be responsible for their behavior....they know right from wrong as well.....I mean...the coaching staff/compliance officers just cant babysit these kids all the time...just not possible...

I always thought OSU's basketball and football programs had the 2 best coaches in the country...and thought they would be there as long as they wanted to be.....ya just never know, I guess.....hopefully Matta and the basketball program will continue to thrive.

Hopefully with Tressel stepping down the ncaa penalties will be less severe....i dont know.....but then again the stupid NCAA allowed the players who sold some of their stuff...to play in their bowl game last year...kind of doesn't make sense...

Urban Meyer????....the rumor around here is he bought a home in the Columbus area about 7 or 8 months ago....
Although...I would like to see a OSU guy as the next head coach....

GO BUCKS.......(still)......:D

broncophan
05-31-2011, 11:39 AM
After reading that, resigning was an overboard reaction. He didn't report his players for getting tats, 500 bucks and a car?

That's worthy of stepping down from a prestigious school where he's had nothing but success?

:tsk:

King....I dont think it is over yet....although with him resigning....we may never know what else there is....or was...

Northman
05-31-2011, 12:51 PM
This is worse than i thought. Originally i just thought it was like 6 players but now they are talking like 22 dating back to 2002. Its getting ugly at OSU folks.

broncophan
05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah.....North....its getting real ugly.....players getting perks from a local car dealership...in exchange for tickets....former players admitting to selling stuff......who knows what's next....
osu haters.....rejoice....:(.....

OrangeHoof
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
More like future HS coach.

Not at all. He got into hot water because his players violated NCAA regulations but none of them would get him in hot water in the NFL. Yet he consistently churned out NFL-caliber players for the draft which means he can coach. In fact, some would argue that his rather conservative playcalling is better suited to the NFL than it is the college game.

My Bengals comment was tongue-in-cheek but I'm betting he'll be an NFL head coach by the 2013 season. The NFL likes winners and they really don't care if the players sell their souls for tats. It won't reflect on the HC.

broncophan
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I just cant understand why "special arrangements" or "cover-ups"...were made for any players....even Pryor....sure he was highly touted coming out of high school....but hell....for the most part...he was no better than an average middle of the road qb....in the big 10 alone........not to mention the rest of the country.....

Ravage!!!
06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I just cant understand why "special arrangements" or "cover-ups"...were made for any players....even Pryor....sure he was highly touted coming out of high school....but hell....for the most part...he was no better than an average middle of the road qb....in the big 10 alone........not to mention the rest of the country.....

Many that I've heard talk about him are saying that Tressel really thought of his players as his kids.

Ify ou asked a parent "why did you turn you eye".. would you expect a parent not to protect their kid? Do not all parents see what they want, and ignore/defend actions that aren't perfect?

Thats how they have described Tressel and "why" he hadn't said anything. THe problem Tressel made, was lying to the NCAA.

chazoe60
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
The NCAA is part of the problem. They intimidate a kid like Dez Bryant into lying to them about something that wasn't against the rules in the first place and then suspend him for an entire season. Then let Obvious cheaters like SCam Newton play with no punishment at all. They let Terrell Pryor and his friends play their bowl game simply for ratings and we're supposed to buy that these scumbags are the moral center of college athletics?

BTW, I'm not a Dez Bryant fan I just think he got railroaded, especially in comparison to what they've let fly recently.