PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Major League Baseball Thread

MOtorboat
05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Alex Gordon is turning into a fine left fielder. Still need more out of his bat.

P.S. The MLB forum has really dried up.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Alex Gordon is turning into a fine left fielder. Still need more out of his bat.

P.S. The MLB forum has really dried up.

Just a few of those Rockies' faithful posting right now.:D

MOtorboat
05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Just a few of those Rockies' faithful posting right now.:D

The Rockies really screwed the pooch in the seventh. Bases loaded, no outs...no runs.

I know Giambi had a few home runs the past month, but that guy is just terrible. He's beyond grip it and rip it, he's grip it and flail at it. It's bad.

FanInAZ
05-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hay, the D-Backs are finally figuring out how to play baseball, at least for now. Whenever they score 6 or more runs, we get free tacos at Taco Bell. We've gotten them 3 days in a row now, but none tomorrow because they only got 4 runs today. Everybody is rushing to take advantage because we all know there could be a 3 month drought coming at any time. Especially with Upton swinging for the fence every time he comes up with a man on base (47 Hs, 9 HRs & 42 SOs in 195 AB in 51 games).

MOtorboat
05-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Hay, the D-Backs are finally figuring out how to play baseball, at least for now. Whenever they score 6 or more runs, we get free tacos at Taco Bell. We've gotten them 3 days in a row now, but none tomorrow because they only got 4 runs today. Everybody is rushing to take advantage because we all know there could be a 3 month drought coming at any time. Especially with Upton swinging for the fence every time he comes up with a man on base (47 Hs, 9 HRs & 42 SOs in 195 AB in 51 games).

I haven't paid much attention to the D-Backs this season, and haven't seen them play. I do like Daniel Hudson. He's gotten decent stuff, but he hasn't been lights out this season yet, anyway.

Yeah, Upton's season has been a disappointment. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish at the plate.

I will say that just glancing at their roster, they've got decent players, and even decent, young pitching, they just can't seem to win games.

MOtorboat
05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Joakim Soria has not been very good this season, and the Rockies kind of screwed the pooch throughout the game.

Clutch hitting. Got to have it. When your best hitter comes to the plate with first and third, down by one, with two outs in the ninth, you've got to have a base hit. Have to have it.

CoachChaz
05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
You got banned...i stopped coming around...no one else knows the game like us

CoachChaz
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I credit it to them having a manager that knows how the game should be played

MOtorboat
05-29-2011, 10:06 PM
You got banned...i stopped coming around...no one else knows the game like us

Royals really screwed things up today. That ballpark down there in Texas is freakin' crazy.

CoachChaz
05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah. Local fans dont understand that it doesnt matter how good pitching is when you play in the Texas climate in that ballpark. To prove it, I ask fans to look at batters splits and they look at me like im speaking chinese

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah. Local fans dont understand that it doesnt matter how good pitching is when you play in the Texas climate in that ballpark. To prove it, I ask fans to look at batters splits and they look at me like im speaking chinese

I'm familiar with the crazy home park splits because of following the Rockies. I haven't looked at the Rangers, but I'm sure its astronomical. I'm also sure the Park Factor for that ballpark is through the roof.

I mean...Endy Chavez hit a home run on Saturday.

BroncoAV06
05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Not a lot of love for the "national" past time around here.

I come home and pretty much have MLB network on all day.

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Not a lot of love for the "national" past time around here.

I come home and pretty much have MLB network on all day.

I bought MLB.tv because my cable company doesn't carry MLB Network or the MLB Package...so I watch anywhere from one-five games a night, and much more on the weekend. Watched the Cubs-Astros game earlier on WGN until the Royals came on (Smashes by Gordon and The Hoz (:woot:)).

Rockies and Dodgers later. I'm sure I'll tune into some of that...

gnomeflinger
05-30-2011, 05:58 PM
For the past several years, whenever the Yankees came to Seattle, A Rod didn't "feel well" so he didn't play. The M fans hate the guy, but for good cause. He played this trip. There weren't as many boos because there were a lot of Yankee fans in the stands.

M's just beat the Oriole's 4-3.

MOtorboat
05-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Soria loses his closer job and its given to Aaron Crow. Not so sure about that one...

June 1 is Wednesday...start calling up the stud rookies Royals...

BroncoAV06
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Montgomery and Moustakous the next big ones for Royals. Hosmer here to stay and Duffy has made a start already. Reason KC has #1 ranked farm system.

CoachChaz
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Problem is...im not sure KC knows what to do with all the kids. Moustakas has been tearing it up for the past 2 years and even with Gordon going to LF, he doesnt get a sniff. I think they'll be lucky if 2 of them pan out and I foresee them giving up on 1 or 2 that will end up being studs elsewhere.

I just dont have much faith in how that organization is run.

slim
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
They need to give away more of their talent to the Rockies, IMHO.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Problem is...im not sure KC knows what to do with all the kids. Moustakas has been tearing it up for the past 2 years and even with Gordon going to LF, he doesnt get a sniff. I think they'll be lucky if 2 of them pan out and I foresee them giving up on 1 or 2 that will end up being studs elsewhere.

I just dont have much faith in how that organization is run.

I have more faith than I did five years ago.

As far as Moustakas, he had a rough start to the season. His slash stats were .222./.304/.410 with 4 homers. Plus, the Royals had Wilson Betemit hitting well. Sure, Moustakas has turned it around and is now hitting .317/.381/.529 in May, so once we get past the draft look for Betemit to get traded and for Moustakas to get a shot.

Hosmer was in a different position. Butler and Kia'ahue are terrible defensive first basemen and Kia'ahue wasn't hitting above the Mendoza line, and save for a walk-off homer in one of the first games of the season he wasn't doing anything.

Montgomery is having control problems, so it might be September before he sees the bigs. 48 Ks in 57 innings isn't exactly stellar. Duffy was pitching much better and the Royals had a spot open up in the rotation.

One thing to note, all of these players are coming from Triple-A Omaha. I think things are being ran much better than four and five years ago when the Royals were jumping any and all prospect they could get their hands on straight from Double-A.

BroncoAV06
05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
No reason to rush all the top prospects to the bigs just because. Royals have had plesent starts from the as mentioned Beitemit, even Jeff Francour!

One thing that is evident im baseball, actually have talked to Jason Grey about it, prospects are contributing at a younger age now and if your good teams are not waiting for the so called magic dates to retain players rights and what not.

MOtorboat
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Always love turning into the Padres-Rockies games because Dick Enberg is doing the Padres broadcast...one of the best ever.

MOtorboat
06-22-2011, 11:05 AM
A note from Jayson Stark's column from yesterday:

• You know what else is more than happenstance? The sudden increase in reports of the deteriorating condition of Wrigley Field. Publicly, Cubs management continues to profess its love and reverence for Wrigley. But privately, the same group is making sure people in baseball are well aware that it would take a massive infusion of dollars to keep Wrigley functional for much longer -- and even that might not be enough.

"Honestly, I don't know if that place can survive for five years," said one of those baseball people. "The infrastructure is in brutal shape."

Asked whether Wrigley was even a candidate for a Fenway-style renovation, the same source replied: "To be honest? I'd have to say no way."

But you won't see anyone in baseball publicly suggesting the Cubs move out of their own little national historic monument. Wrigley is too beloved to mess with -- in any way other than allowing the word to get around that, beneath the ivy and the bleachers, it's no longer the perfect, idyllic ballpark it appears to be. So if you think you've heard the last of this, guess again.

The rest...one of the better weekly columns around
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings110621

Thnikkaman
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I bought MLB.tv because my cable company doesn't carry MLB Network or the MLB Package...so I watch anywhere from one-five games a night, and much more on the weekend. Watched the Cubs-Astros game earlier on WGN until the Royals came on (Smashes by Gordon and The Hoz (:woot:)).

Rockies and Dodgers later. I'm sure I'll tune into some of that...

Next season we should most definitely go into a subscription together. Currently, me and 3 other guys are sharing a subscription. I think you can have 5 devices streaming games from one log-on. I've got it hooked up on my ps3, and love getting to watch the Rox.

Thnikkaman
06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Always love turning into the Padres-Rockies games because Dick Enberg is doing the Padres broadcast...one of the best ever.

On air, or over radio? I cannot stand listening to the Padre's TV announcers.

MOtorboat
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM

On TV. Maybe he only does home games, and he obviously won't be doing games this week or next, because he's at Wimbledon.

BigDaddyBronco
06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
A note from Jayson Stark's column from yesterday:

The rest...one of the better weekly columns around
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings110621

The concrete was crumbling when I went 10 years ago. That place is awesome, they need to restore it if possible.

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 07:06 PM
It's strange how you are used to waiting seven days between football games, but when you have to wait four for a baseball game it seems like an eternity.

MOtorboat
07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I hate that Curtis Granderson is a Yankee. One of the best people in baseball. If you don't know his story, both his parents are teachers and he is heavily involved in education charity work.

Thnikkaman
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I hate that Curtis Granderson is a Yankee. One of the best people in baseball. If you don't know his story, both his parents are teachers and he is heavily involved in education charity work.

This. It would be too soon if the Yankees ever win another WS.

socalthunder
07-18-2011, 11:15 PM

He does the TV broadcast when he's not at Wimbeldon or wherever else...

BroncoAV06
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
So what is everyone looking forward to the 2nd half of the season?

I am interested in seeing if the Pirates can stay afloat among other things.

Thnikkaman
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Depends on how many more games they have against the Cubs and Astros.

I for one am going to enjoy the decline of a one Barry Zito

socalthunder
07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Depends on how many more games they have against the Cubs and Astros.

I for one am going to enjoy the decline of a one Barry Zito

I went to the game on Saturday where we KILLED Barry. Dude, he was at 20 balls and like 5 strikes to start off the game. Then I saw Beef's dad.

Benetto
07-19-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm looking forward to see if the Dodgers can win at least 5-6 more games...:rolleyes:

Thnikkaman
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm looking forward to see if the Dodgers can win at least 5-6 more games...:rolleyes:

As long as they are all against the Giants. Oh, and can we have Kuroda? kthxbye

MOtorboat
09-28-2011, 09:51 PM
There is absolutely nothing more dramatic in sports than a two-out home run that continues your season.

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 08:07 AM
So glad to see the Rays be on the winning end of the Red Sux Collapse. Now if only the Phillies and Yankees can get beat in the first round.

CoachChaz
09-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I hope everyone appreciates what happened last night. As a baseball purist and extreme fan, I will say that we could watch this game for 40 years and not see a night as amazing as last night.

The Braves falling apart, the O's playing spoiler, the Rays amazing comeback, the Rangers securing home field in the 9th.

All these amazing games an sub stories on the last and most important day of the season. That doesnt happen in any other sport

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 11:38 AM
It explains the understanding I gained about the sport when I started following the Rox as much as I do the Broncos:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/09/29/baseball-night-in-america/

slim
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I am a Rays fan until next spring.

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I am a Rays fan until next spring.

I'll be rooting for a Rays/Tigers vs. Brewers WS.

However, I will be pissed if the next expansion team to win a WS is not the Rockies.

slim
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I'll be rooting for a Rays/Tigers vs. Brewers WS.

However, I will be pissed if the next expansion team to win a WS is not the Rockies.

I really hope the dbags flame out.

The "fans" here don't deserve to have this team.

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I really hope the dbags flame out.

The "fans" here don't deserve to have this team.

No doubt. It pissed me off to no end watching the last series against the DBaqs on TV in AZ when the stands were empty. Meanwhile, I go to my first game at Coors, and I swear that place was 3 quarters full.

slim
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
No doubt. It pissed me off to no end watching the last series against the DBaqs on TV in AZ when the stands were empty. Meanwhile, I go to my first game at Coors, and I swear that place was 3 quarters full.

The dbags have won four division titles (I think) and a World Series. They have won way more than their share, at least for a young franchise.

The "fans" here are an embarrassment.

CoachChaz
09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
The dbags have won four division titles (I think) and a World Series. They have won way more than their share, at least for a young franchise.

Typically, i would agree, but it's hard not to like their team and coaching staff.

By birthplace, I'll be pulling for the Phils and by location, I'll be pulling for the Rangers, but the Rays and Yanks are the only teams I want to see fail. I guess it's the O's fan in me.

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Yes the camera shots on their pennants were making my blood boil. I think the only team in our division that doesn't make me mad when I hear their name is the Padres right now.

I don't like the Dodgers because I was living in Vegas in 1993 and always got into it with Dodgers fans (the Raiders fans of baseball IMO).
I hate the Giants because of their players. Tim Lincecum cemented this for me last year complaining about the humidor and the balls at coors.
I hate the Diamondbacks because it seems like its so easy for them. I predict a Marlins style firesale after the playoffs.

slim
09-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Typically, i would agree, but it's hard not to like their team and coaching staff.

By birthplace, I'll be pulling for the Phils and by location, I'll be pulling for the Rangers, but the Rays and Yanks are the only teams I want to see fail. I guess it's the O's fan in me.

Blue collar team with a blue collar coaching staff. I don't necessarily dislike the team. In fact, I respect the way they play the game quite a bit.

CoachChaz
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes the camera shots on their pennants were making my blood boil. I think the only team in our division that doesn't make me mad when I hear their name is the Padres right now.

I don't like the Dodgers because I was living in Vegas in 1993 and always got into it with Dodgers fans (the Raiders fans of baseball IMO).
I hate the Giants because of their players. Tim Lincecum cemented this for me last year complaining about the humidor and the balls at coors.
I hate the Diamondbacks because it seems like its so easy for them. I predict a Marlins style firesale after the playoffs.

What are they going to sell? They are 25th out of 30 teams in total payroll and their most expensive players make a paltry 5 mil a year. Even if they dump guys like Johnson, Saunders, Young...will it really hurt?

Other than TB, they have the lowest payroll of the playoff teams.

Yankees #1
Phillies #2
Detroit #10
Cardinals #12
Rangers #13
Brewers #16
D-backs #25
Rays #29

weazel
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
what an epic night of baseball! more nut scratching than anyone could handle!

Thnikkaman
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
What are they going to sell? They are 25th out of 30 teams in total payroll and their most expensive players make a paltry 5 mil a year. Even if they dump guys like Johnson, Saunders, Young...will it really hurt?

Other than TB, they have the lowest payroll of the playoff teams.

Yankees #1
Phillies #2
Detroit #10
Cardinals #12
Rangers #13
Brewers #16
D-backs #25
Rays #29

Its wishful thinking. However, Ian Kennedy is Arbitration eligible and its possible that after this season, he may want more than the DBaqs are willing to play.

MOtorboat
10-04-2011, 10:33 PM
So much for drama tonight...two blowouts and the D-Backs and Yankees are still alive.

Thnikkaman
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
So much for drama tonight...two blowouts and the D-Backs and Yankees are still alive.

Millwake can not win on the road if their life depended on it. Their bullpen is too shaky, and their defense just sucks. I'm hoping the Tigers can beat the yankees, but I'm afraid that the momentum is all New York's.

MOtorboat
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Some gamesmanship in New York with the bandaid...

Thnikkaman
10-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Ding dong the yanks are dead.

Yay!!!

MOtorboat
10-06-2011, 10:57 PM
The AL East is dead...lol

chazoe60
10-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Congrats to Stink's boy! I wouldn't mind seeing the Tigers win it all just for that reason.

Thnikkaman
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I'd root for the tigers, but AL and DH and all.