PDA

View Full Version : Short-term fix is to simplify Broncos' defense

Denver Native (Carol)
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/27/short-term-fix-is-to-simplify-broncos-defense/

A character named Oscar Rogers recently unveiled on Saturday Night Live purports to be an alleged financial expert.

He rails against the Wall Street crisis, listing the litany of problems and punctuating each batch of bad news with an impassioned "Fix it!"

Bob Slowik likely can relate, though the issues he faces as the Broncos' defensive coordinator are in the black-and-white of the NFL statistics, not the Financial Times.

And while complaining bitterly, a la the fictional money man, might be cathartic, it doesn't solve the mess.

And that mess won't be any easier to clean up before Sunday's game with the Miami Dolphins (3-4) at Invesco Field at Mile High (2:05 p.m., CBS 4) with a long-term injury to cornerback Champ Bailey and a season-ending knee issue for linebacker Boss Bailey.

Even while those two were at least partially in the lineup, the Broncos defense accumulated a No. 31 ranking in rushing yards per attempt (5.4), No. 30 rankings in total yards allowed (394.6), yards per play (6.2) and rushing yards allowed (154.6), No. 29 rankings in interceptions (two) and points per game (27.9), a No. 28 in net passing yards (240) and a tie for No. 28 in first downs per game (20.9), a No. 23 in net yards per pass play (7.3) and a No. 21 in third-down efficiency (41.6 percent).

Fix it? It's easier said than done.

'Little out of sorts'

"What happens when you had or have a versatile scheme, if things don't go well, it's always a case of not being in rhythm with the offense. So you get a little out of sorts," Slowik said Monday as the Broncos resumed practice after a four-day break. "And it's the same thing, if, for example, you're in the same call and not having that success. Your first reaction is you need more ammunition and can't just line up in the same thing. So it's somewhere in between.

"In the end, all of that lies on my shoulders. I've got to find something that the guys are comfortable with executing and still have enough mix to get the job done."

What that likely means for the short term is scaling back in order to get consistent play calls in which the defensive players feel confident.

"Whether we make the play or not, at least we know what we're doing, how we're doing it, we've practiced it for a long time and go from there," Slowik said. "And then after that, we've got to get consistent in all areas - getting off blocks, hitting blocks, tackling, pass-rushing. Everything."

The 3-4 has been effective in generating pressure, so it won't be ditched completely.

"It's not being thrown out," Slowik insisted.

But, overall, the breadth of calls might be pared to give the defense a chance to gain some equilibrium after the poor start.

"We've got to cut down the amount of what we're doing," Slowik said. "That's the easiest way of saying it."

The 3-4 front, which still includes eight-man principles, was installed as late as Week 2. The 4-3 had been the core philosophy starting in the offseason.

Less 3-4 likely on horizon

Slowik wouldn't give away any game-planning secrets. But reading between the lines, the Broncos might back off the 3-4 some and, until there's a sense the players can handle more, stress the defense they know best and have practiced the most.

"There's a little more confidence in knowing what to do - language, familiarity, maybe with some of our other schemes," Slowik said.

The last time the Broncos were in action, before the bye weekend, they were shredded by New England for 41 points. Matt Cassel, subbing for Tom Brady, had his best game as a pro, recording a 75 percent completion rate, three touchdown passes and no interceptions.

The Patriots rushed for 257 yards, the highest total Denver has allowed since Green Bay rushed for 262 in the 2003 season finale.

And the comments after that Patriots game underscored the ongoing issues.

Champ Bailey was disgusted by the effort. Fellow captain D.J. Williams lamented the group's lack of identity, in terms of fronts and philosophy. Ebenezer Ekuban, another team leader, mentioned the sloppy tackling and gap-control issues that continue to rear their head.

Opponents' four highest rushing totals have come in the past four games. Their completion rates have been 81 percent, 75, 72, 74 and 75 in the past five contests.

And into town comes a Dolphins team seemingly rejuvenated under coach Tony Sparano and the Bill Parcells regime.

Slowik and the rest of the Broncos staff spent the bye week breaking down the first seven games and came out of those sessions intent on re-emphasizing to the players the defense is built to be an eight-man front whose priority is stopping the run while trying to generate pass rush and coverage behind it the best way possible.

"That part has never changed," Slowik said. "We may have not executed it as well in certain aspects of the two fronts, and that's where there's a little of that discomfort."

Memories of 2007

The situation in which the Broncos find themselves appears to have some parallels to the 2007 season.

That team was gashed by the run early with Jim Bates as coordinator, then went to more eight-man principles at the bye. Players openly talked about being confused after Bates' exit and supposedly were thrilled by how simplified things had become under Slowik this offseason.

Then, after the addition of the 3-4, there again was talk about missed assignments and gap control.

"Yeah, I would say I'm surprised at that," Slowik said.

Middle linebacker Nate Webster said against the Patriots, "guys were like, 'Maybe we should get out of this (call), maybe we should run this,' " while the game spiraled out of hand.

But after film study, he now believes the issue solely was execution.

"As players we're accountable for a lot of this," Webster said. "Usually they blame the coordinator, but we watch the film, and there was nothing wrong with those calls."

Whatever the game plan, he said, it's on the defensive players to be able to handle what's being asked of them, scaled back or not. But he believes returning to fundamentals this week appears to be a solid idea.

Said Webster: "Once we put in whatever we're putting in, now's the time to grow up - fast."

REB
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
"now's the time to grow up fast"

AMEN!

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Good Lord. . ..they're lost. I'm afraid this last half of the season is going to be a night-mare.

Den21vsBal19
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
One line jumps out at me ~

Middle linebacker Nate Webster said against the Patriots, "guys were like, 'Maybe we should get out of this (call), maybe we should run this,' " while the game spiraled out of hand.

Oh, crap :mad:

jlarsiii
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
WOW, what a shock. Our defense can't run anything but the most basically designed defensive schemes. I sure couldn't tell that by watching the games. . . . .

No wonder our defense gets trampled. The basic defenses that teams run during the preseason to hide all of their schemes is all that our team can run at all whether it is preseason or not. How sad.:tsk:

Broncolingus
10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
How is this article news?

We've been saying this off and on for years now...

...thanks for the hot tip, Bronco's Defense.

Lonestar
10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
"The situation in which the Broncos find themselves appears to have some parallels to the 2007 season.

That team was gashed by the run early with Jim Bates as coordinator, then went to more eight-man principles at the bye. Players openly talked about being confused after Bates' exit and supposedly were thrilled by how simplified things had become under Slowik this offseason."

Yet when everyone was asked prior to the change many said they were confused by the scheme Bates had installed.

Are we now seeing a revision of history, something was used to justify Bates ouster and now we are really hearing it got no better?

So we go back to the 4-3 most of the time "even though" we supposedly got better pass rush from the 3-4.. I suspect they were confused with the last game where the rookie QB simply held onto the ball to long..

Me thinks the coach speak thinks that fans are stupid..

G_Money
10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Maybe instead of our game tape the fellas should watch tape of a real defense. Something from the Giants or the Steelers maybe. Brings pressure, stops the run and the pass, everybody knows what the hell they're supposed to be doing and execute it perfectly.

Either our players are just a lot stupider than theirs, or there's something else going on beyond, "not grasping the scheme."

I still don't think there is a scheme. I see a lot of different formations. We play the 4-3 or the 3-4 straight up, sometimes we zone blitz, sometimes we play man, sometimes we play prevent, sometimes the safeties play the run and sometimes they link arms and do a line dance out in the secondary while the play goes by them.

Nobody on defense knows WHY they are doing what they are being asked to do.

Are they playing the run? The pass? Getting pressure? Covering? Who am I? What's my name?

It's like there's 11 guys on the field with concussions, all at the same time.

DJ has been decent-to-great in other schemes, that still did not take full advantage of his skillset. Champ has been outstanding in the past. Everybody else is an unknown. Maybe they really ARE this retarded.

Or maybe we still can't teach our dogs any new tricks that weren't already in their bags before we got our hands on them. Hence the absolute failure of Crowder and Moss, and why Thomas still can only do short-yardage well.

Our whole defense can only do short-yardage well. Y'know why?

Because their options - and therefore their responsibilities - are limited and well-defined in those situations.

Great defenses react without being told what to do. They have been trained and drilled for so long they just go on instinct in this beautiful man-ballet of muscular beauty. The defensive play is called, the defenders line up and do exactly what is required of them.

Our guys have no idea what that is. How could they? How can they drill on the 8 schemes we've run since the season started? They obviously weren't taught last year, and haven't been taught this year.

Either we have 9 unteachable guys and two slow learners in Champ and DJ (I DO think DJ is a slow learner, but that's a different story) or we just have terrible teachers to go with our terrible, mish-mashed scheme. The Giants started off a little slow on defense last year, remember. Then it clicked. The teaching and the repetition paid off, and all of a sudden their D exploded onto the scene and carried them to a World Championship. They had a coherent scheme and brilliant teachers. We have neither.

Fire Slowik. No more stupid excuses about his dash of this, spot of that schemes and how "complicated" they are.

There's a difference between complicated and inconsistent. By always requiring his players to do something they're not comfortable with because it hasn't been drilled into them, he's the very definition of inconsistency.

Inconsistency breeds hesitation. Hesitation in the NFL breeds death.

And we're dying a slow and very public one right now.

Enough.

~G

Lonestar
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
great post G..

but remember if they do not practice tackling in "practice" what makes anyone think they will get it right on game day..

We have been pretty consistent on Offense for almost 15 years.. same scheme.. for a newbie to come in and learn it is tough but there are usually 8-9 other players that have been doing it for years surrounding them..

this year is the 4th different scheme on the last two years.. the only players that are or were in the same spot since Bates came to twon is Champ and Bly.. past that 8 new players learning a new position at least twice if not more compounded by at least two changes in scheme mid year..

Does it take a brain surgeon to figure out why there seems to be confusion on the field..

KISS

KEEP

IT

SIMPLE

STUPID

should be the motto for the next 9 games..

BroncosRockdaRockies
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Is anyone going to see if the Bye week helped? Or is the basic consensus from the fan base simply just giving up altogether?

Superchop 7
10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
This was a player problem.

Not a coaching problem.

I thought Slowik called a great game. (for once)

Buy into it players,

Work hard.

DO YOUR JOB !

P.S. Nate, This means you !

NightTrainLayne
10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I could buy that it's a player problem if it was one or two players making mistakes here and there. But when 11 guys are all out of position, and not working coherently together, it's gotta be coaching.

When all 11 are playing poorly what else could it be but coaching?

Lonestar
10-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I could buy that it's a player problem if it was one or two players making mistakes here and there. But when 11 guys are all out of position, and not working coherently together, it's gotta be coaching.

When all 11 are playing poorly what else could it be but coaching?

Scheme! If they have no idea what they are supposed to accomplish being out of position would indeed be part of it..

But your correct until the ball carrier is 5 yards down field no one is getting it..

broncofaninfla
10-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I truly feel this defense doesn't have the talent to succeed nor the mental capacity to understand even basic defensive schemes. Our players our weak, they get blown off the ball off of the line, the LB's go down after one block and the rest run around lost. Watching other teams during the bye week has convinced me even more the problem is on the players. I think we need to scrap every defensive coach, defensive scout and most players and start from scratch. Pick a competent DC, assemble a new team of defensive scouts and stick with and commit to the new system.

Traveler
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Is it me or were some of the comments in the article disturbing? If they again have to scale back the defense, that reflects badly on both the coaches and players.

Hopefully I wrong, but even after scaling back, I still don't see this defense improving the remainder of the season.

Northman
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Is anyone going to see if the Bye week helped? Or is the basic consensus from the fan base simply just giving up altogether?

I dont think its giving up but this problem with tackling, motivation, and discipline is something we have seen from this defense the last 8 years aside from a few good spurts here and there. For the most part this team (specifically the defense) has lost its motivation in really trying. Can either chalk it up to bad coaching, bad players, or just sheer laziness. Your pick. :lol:

NameUsedBefore
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Wow... it isn't just the schemes, it's the fundamentals?

We're doomed.

I say we return to the 2005 defense which was simplified to "blitz" and "blitz with more guys".

LRtagger
10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

But after film study, he now believes the issue solely was execution.

"As players we're accountable for a lot of this," Webster said. "Usually they blame the coordinator, but we watch the film, and there was nothing wrong with those calls."

Sorry, but if players are questioning the playcalling DURING the game, then it is not soley execution. Obviously the players are going to put the blame on themselves, they aren't going to publicly throw their coach under the bus...they will wait until the season is over to do that.

This defense is eerily similar to last year. Except this year we supposedly brought in all this great talent, yet we seem to be even worse. Now we are reverting back to simplifying everything because our players "dont get it". I find it hard to believe that our defense continues to have trouble understanding what they need to do...especially considering more than half of our defensive starters did not start for us last year. Are we supposed to believe that not only were our old players idiots, but all of the FA players we picked up are idiots too? Must be something in the water in Dove Valley.

That, or maybe the coaching and scouting sucks. Hmmmm which makes more sense?

broncofaninfla
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry, but if players are questioning the playcalling DURING the game, then it is not soley execution. Obviously the players are going to put the blame on themselves, they aren't going to publicly throw their coach under the bus...they will wait until the season is over to do that.

This defense is eerily similar to last year. Except this year we supposedly brought in all this great talent, yet we seem to be even worse. Now we are reverting back to simplifying everything because our players "dont get it". I find it hard to believe that our defense continues to have trouble understanding what they need to do...especially considering more than half of our defensive starters did not start for us last year. Are we supposed to believe that not only were our old players idiots, but all of the FA players we picked up are idiots too? Must be something in the water in Dove Valley.

That, or maybe the coaching and scouting sucks. Hmmmm which makes more sense?

I agree! IMO, The entire defensive side of the house is to blame. Scouting, coaches and players. We need to get rid of all of the scouts, coaches and most of the players and start from scratch, commit to a DC and system and build to that system.

Lonestar
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree! IMO, The entire defensive side of the house is to blame. Scouting, coaches and players. We need to get rid of all of the scouts, coaches and most of the players and start from scratch, commit to a DC and system and build to that system.

I suspect the scouts are bringing in the film and allowing the coaches to decide who would fit into their scheme..

I also think the scouts are being whom or what to look for.. again by coaches and that probably goes as far up the food chain as mikey..

Pretty easy to evaluate talent and take videos of folks back to dove valley for everyone to see..

The kid is either in the right spot, sheds blockers and makes tackles or he is not.. not brain surgery for a scout..

but the mentality of the broncos of trying to make someone into something they are not..

IE:

making a TE into a OLT
making a WR into a TE or vice versa
making a Full back out of a LB
making a DE into a OLB or vice versa..
constantly trying to find a FB from a RB..

eessydo
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
And just like that character on Saturday Night Live, our defense isn't funny either.

NightTrainLayne
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I've said it before.

Slowik was here when Coyer was fired.

Slowik was here when Bates was hired.

Slowik was here with Bates was fired.

Slowik was here during the last half of last season when Bates had already been taken out of the loop.

Our defense has been our primary complaint during this whole time.

Traveler
10-29-2008, 01:36 PM

We're doomed.

I say we return to the 2005 defense which was simplified to "blitz" and "blitz with more guys".

The fundamentals of this defense "AREN"T" strong. :D

Retired_Member_001
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

We're doomed.

I agree.

We have nothing else. We might as well throw the kitchen sink at them. We have got some speed on defense, and we should use that to our advantage. Heck, we may give up a few huge plays because we don't have enough people back in pass coverage. But at least we will scare the living daylight out of the opposing QB because he'll be worried about the Defender to Blocker ratio.

HolyDiver
10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Atleast with Coyer, we were known for being very tough against the run.

Buff
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I've said it before.

Slowik was here when Coyer was fired.

Slowik was here when Bates was hired.

Slowik was here with Bates was fired.

Slowik was here during the last half of last season when Bates had already been taken out of the loop.

Our defense has been our primary complaint during this whole time.

Yeah, it bugs me when people like Mike Klis argue against a coordinator switch-- because in theory he is correct, we need to pick a defensive coordinator/system and stick with them... But Slowik is not that guy, nor does he really seem to have any consistent system or philosophy. He just happened to be the last man standing and will do whatever he needs to do to keep his job (whatever shanahan tells him to do).

We do need to estabish some continuity, but in order to do that we need to bring in a proven, respected coach who won't be another yes man. Then we've got to give him at least 3 seasons to establish some consistency in the type of players we go after in free agency and the draft...

So it's clear we need to drop Slowik after the season.

But I'm still clueless as to what we ought to do this season. Maybe try to sneak out a 12th man every so often and live with the penalties?

PatricktheDookie
10-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I miss Al Wilson. =(

HolyDiver
10-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it bugs me when people like Mike Klis argue against a coordinator switch-- because in theory he is correct, we need to pick a defensive coordinator/system and stick with them... But Slowik is not that guy, nor does he really seem to have any consistent system or philosophy. He just happened to be the last man standing and will do whatever he needs to do to keep his job (whatever shanahan tells him to do).

We do need to estabish some continuity, but in order to do that we need to bring in a proven, respected coach who won't be another yes man. Then we've got to give him at least 3 seasons to establish some consistency in the type of players we go after in free agency and the draft...

But I'm still clueless as to what we ought to do this season. Maybe try to sneak out a 12th man every so often and live with the penalties?

Ken Norton Jr............I wanted this guy before the season started.............He could be the young DC we've been looking for.

Lonestar
10-29-2008, 02:12 PM

only becaue the pass rush and pass defense stunk..

why run when you can pass all day..

Fan in Exile
10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Ken Norton Jr............I wanted this guy before the season started.............He could be the young DC we've been looking for.

I would be okay with him, as long as he brings in a good d-line guy and gets plenty of time to right the ship.

Fan in Exile
10-29-2008, 02:24 PM

We may have been known for being tough against the run, but we weren't actually tough against the run under Coyer.

We had a very bad YPA, the only reason we didn't get burned more often with the run was because we tend to jump out to a lead early and teams ditched the run for the pass.

It's why Chad Jackson if he can help us make the big plays could be the best thing for our run defense.

Medford Bronco
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Agreed, but also we had Al Wilson and a good Ian Gold, back in the day

broncofaninfla
10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Fundamentals are taught from Pop Warner and even in college. If a players doesn't have the fundamentals down by the time he reaches the NFL then he probably doesn't shouldn’t be in the NFL. The talent just isn't there for us. I doubt any of the players who will be cut after this season ends will even make another NFL roster. I'm beginning to wonder about the strength and conditioning of the team too. We get blown off of the line on almost every play on defense and now the injuries are piling up. During the off season I remember reading we had a record number of players participate in off season conditioning work outs. That sure doesn’t show on the defensive said of the ball. I think Shanahan needs to take a strong look at that program and see how we can improve there as well.

56crash
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
"now's the time to grow up fast"

AMEN!

hey Reb what up buddy !:beer:

56crash
10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Yet when everyone was asked prior to the change many said they were confused by the scheme Bates had installed.

Are we now seeing a revision of history, something was used to justify Bates ouster and now we are really hearing it got no better?

So we go back to the 4-3 most of the time "even though" we supposedly got better pass rush from the 3-4.. I suspect they were confused with the last game where the rookie QB simply held onto the ball to long..

Me thinks the coach speak thinks that fans are stupid..

Can you say groundhog Day .Bep Bep Bep (reaches up and shuts off the clock)

56crash
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
they hesatate on every play on D you can see it . the team as a whole seems tight they need to have some fun . so yes simple up the game plan ...

56crash
10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
thing is you build on the base when you got that down this team is in deep dookie... at this point you should be seeing some exotic plays ...

56crash
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I got a baisc Idea put on pads and knock the snot out each other ! this team needs to learn how to tackle .

LRtagger
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM

This is what I have been saying for the past month....when people say "We can't keep using our DC as a scapegoat."

Sorry, but just because we need continuity at DC doesn't mean Slowik should get a BYE. His scheming sucks....his track record sucks...his philosophy sucks...in general, he sucks as a DC. I have been saying since day one that if we wanted continuity at DC we shouldnt have hired a moron like Slowik.

Simple Jaded
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Keeping the current DC makes sense......but only in theory......

BANJOPICKER1
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Agreed, but also we had Al Wilson and a good Ian Gold, back in the day

Hi Med,

I think no matter what all of you think and know, we will be better on D after the bye. We cant get worse and I think a few weeks of our defense getting blasted will bring them out of our slump. I say Blow out against the Dolphins.:salute:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:defense:

tomjonesrocks
10-30-2008, 12:07 AM
The Chargers fired their D-Coordinator--the Broncos should follow suit.

Den21vsBal19
10-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Med,

I think no matter what all of you think and know, we will be better on D after the bye. We cant get worse and I think a few weeks of our defense getting blasted will bring them out of our slump. I say Blow out against the Dolphins.:salute:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:defense:

I hope you're right, BP, but be careful what you wish for...........

Defensively, we seem determined to set new levels of ineptititude :tsk:

topscribe
10-30-2008, 03:35 AM
This was a player problem.

Not a coaching problem.

I thought Slowik called a great game. (for once)

Buy into it players,

Work hard.

DO YOUR JOB !

P.S. Nate, This means you !

Well, of course, that is exactly what Webster said. There was nothing wrong
with the play calling he said. It was all on the players. If they want to play
football, then play football. If they want to watch the game, then buy a
ticket, get up into the stands, and watch it.

I'm not sold on Slowik, but he didn't miss all those tackles.

*Lowry must have missed at least half of them all by himself*

-----

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Kind of amazing that 3 years ago SD and Denver had some of the better defenses in the NFL and now the defenses for both teams are sucking it up.

Nomad
10-30-2008, 04:26 AM
Good Lord. . ..they're lost. I'm afraid this last half of the season is going to be a night-mare.

The second half of the season doesn't look as favorable to many as first thought because some of the teams that were terrible last year are the most improved this year and keep improving.

Some here are speaking on fundamentals, I'm sure every NFL player knows the routine. Tackling is one you never forget, especially if you have a good coach who makes sure you take the steps to practice the technique right. I know there is one common denominator with all this and it's the person who hires and fires and brings in players/coaches.

56crash
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Kind of amazing that 3 years ago SD and Denver had some of the better defenses in the NFL and now the defenses for both teams are sucking it up.

Do You remember the day our Run D died because people are beating around the bush . And I am tired as hell hearing about DEs ,DT's and S ?

56crash
10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I seen time after time player's this year not doing there job's trying to much let the player that has the job do it . there is to many players trying to hard

56crash
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Gap control should of been the phrase of the week . and a stoty about a short leash .