View Full Version : Elway in search of old magic

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Paige: Elway in search of old magic
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/28/2011 12:33:45 AM MDT
Updated: 05/28/2011 12:34:02 AM MDT

John Elway has a three-year plan for returning the Broncos to splendor on the grass. The central components of his strategy are:

• Lead as an executive as he did as a player.

• Bring back the Mile High Magic by building a better defense that will get the home crowd raucous again.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18159505

Later on in the article it says that Elway is planning hiring some former Broncos to help out.

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Paige: Elway in search of old magic
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/28/2011 12:33:45 AM MDT
Updated: 05/28/2011 12:34:02 AM MDT

Elway is talking to two ex-players about jobs with the Broncos, and intends, once the lockout is ended, to invite other former Broncos to practices and back into the headquarters. The previous regime had little time for Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Dave Studdard and the rest of the loyal Orange-and-Blue Men.

"We want our players to learn from the older guys what it means to be a Bronco," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18159505

I would love for Gradishar to be around. Who better for Nate Irving to learn from than the guy was the best inside linebacker in Broncos history.

GEM
05-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Hell yes!!

chazoe60
05-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I would love for Gradishar to be around. Who better for Nate Irving to learn from than the guy was the best inside linebacker in Broncos history.

Not just Bronco history but ONE of the best MLBs in NFL history. The Hall of Sham is a joke without guys like him and Rich Jackson in it.

Oh and I always thought Rod Smith would be an amazing WR coach. He was very disciplined and inteligent player and every thing he got he earned with hard work, sounds like the makings of a good coach to me.

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Not just Bronco history but ONE of the best MLBs in NFL history. The Hall of Sham is a joke without guys like him and Rich Jackson in it.

Oh and I always thought Rod Smith would be an amazing WR coach. He was very disciplined and inteligent player and every thing he got he earned with hard work, sounds like the makings of a good coach to me.

He definitely belongs in the Hall of Fall. :mad:

topscribe
05-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks, TX.

Every once in a generation or so, Woody comes up with a good article . . . :D

-----

Lonestar
05-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks, TX.

-----

Actually the moron has been on a roll lately. Must be off the sauce.

Or maybe we are doomed for two decades of garbage now.

Lonestar
05-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks, TX.

-----

Or just maybe he has a ghost writer.

chazoe60
05-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quit upping your post count like that.

chazoe60
05-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Quit upping your post count like that

It's cheating.

HammeredOut
05-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Good article.

Im glad Elway acknowledged the defense, and the importance of stopping a few drives.

I am a little dissappointed that he never spoke of the run game, and how we will get back to our roots of great running. Although im sure, Elway needs to keep his poker face on when it comes to who he wants in FA. Im tending to think the Broncos will sign DeAngelo Williams, and keep No-Show Moreno as the 3rd down change of pace back. Although Moreno was getting stuffed 3rd and short all season from lack of burst and sticking to 1 cut, it makes sense for the Broncos to bring in an impact player. A QB's bestfriend is always a good running back, and we don't have an impact player running the ball yet.

If Elway is looking at DTs to bring in. Im wondering if the names, Cullin Jenkins, Tommie Harris, Robaire Smith are names on his radar. If we are running 4-3 it would make sense to bring in a Mathias Kiwanuka to shore up the end spot.

Npba900
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
He definitely belongs in the Hall of Fall. :mad:

Yep! With over 2,000 tackles in 10 years......Gradishar should have been in he HOF on at minimum on his 2nd year of eligibility.:beer:

Awards
1978 NFL AP Defensive Player of the Year

Pro Bowls

Gradishar is also in the top 5 for tackles in a career at 2049; thats over 200 plus tackles a year over a ten year career.

rcsodak
05-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Yep! With over 2,000 tackles in 10 years......Gradishar should have been in he HOF on at minimum on his 2nd year of eligibility.:beer:

Awards
1978 NFL AP Defensive Player of the Year

Pro Bowls

Gradishar is also in the top 5 for tackles in a career at 2049; thats over 200 plus tackles a year over a ten year career.

Tackles is an unofficial stat. Always has been. Always will.

Npba900
05-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Meh! Imagine the NFL without tackles! Point is the man avg 200 tackles a year over a 10 year period....that is an amazing feat. Gradishar played during an era when defenses were allowed to play the game! and NFL offenses weren't protected with ballerina to-to's as we see in today's over hyped commercialized NFL.

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Does the term wet blanket mean anything to you? :D (J/K)

Dzone
05-28-2011, 03:46 PM
1978 NFL defensive player of the year...thats awesome

rcsodak
05-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Does the term wet blanket mean anything to you? :D (J/K)
lol
no.
but its funny when you look at nfl.com and then the players team site and realize the numbers don't jive.

I loved grad, but let's be real.

Lonestar
05-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Actually now I beleive they are an official stat. When he was playing they had no one doing the stats NFL wide. Then just after he retired the Elias sports bureau started documenting them. Before that it was kept locally and "some said" the broncos were padding his numbers.

Thus the bias against his HOF voting. At the time their were a couple of LB from the east coast that were getting all if the hype in the east coast papers. Of cousre back then most folks thought Denver still had dirt streets and gunfights at high noon.

Lonestar
05-28-2011, 08:04 PM
RC That was one thing that prompted the NFL to have someone report actuall stats. They has to pay someone to be impartial so no one got hometowned. Just a Progression like having real refs instead of college refs that they used to have decades ago.

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 09:04 PM
lol
no.
but its funny when you look at nfl.com and then the players team site and realize the numbers don't jive.

I loved grad, but let's be real.

How would they jive considering they don't even keep track of it at all? What's not to be real? I don't have a problem believing that Gradishar average 200 tackles over the entirety of his career.

rcsodak
05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Actually now I beleive they are an official stat. When he was playing they had no one doing the stats NFL wide. Then just after he retired the Elias sports bureau started documenting them. Before that it was kept locally and "some said" the broncos were padding his numbers.

Thus the bias against his HOF voting. At the time their were a couple of LB from the east coast that were getting all if the hype in the east coast papers. Of cousre back then most folks thought Denver still had dirt streets and gunfights at high noon.

Nope. Still unofficial.

rcsodak
05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
How would they jive considering they don't even keep track of it at all? What's not to be real? I don't have a problem believing that Gradishar average 200 tackles over the entirety of his career.
Okey dokey

WARHORSE
05-29-2011, 01:38 AM
The crowd is always raucus when our defense is on the field and kickin tail.

Just bein that the crowd knows to get loud when the opposing offense is on the field leads to some rabid ambience.

I believe a really good defense, paired with Tebow and a great running game would bring us another Lombo.

One thing I noticed about Tebow......the game aint too big for him out there.

Hes going 90 mph, but its not because hes nervous, its because he can smell the endzone even when hes on our own 1 yardline.

The power of belief.

Count me as one who believes Tebow will pan out for us. He is not going to be Tom Brady. But he wont have to be.

He'll just have to be TT.:salute: