PDA

View Full Version : John Elway has no funny bone

Juriga72
05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/lifestyle/201105/john-elway-sounds-sour-note-about-band-same-name

So a punk band choose his name....lol

Magnificent Seven
05-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Oh, Boy!

sneakers
05-27-2011, 11:58 PM
How dare you suggest Elway is wrong.....about anything.

SoCalImport
05-28-2011, 07:05 AM
"Surely, if the Dead Kennedys could become one of punk's most popular bands without incurring litigation, Elway can keep their moniker and continue making so-so music for our dozens of fans to enjoy."

I like them already.

GEM
05-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh come on, John. You have made a lot of money from your name over the years, let someone else for awhile. :lol:

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Oh come on, John. You have made a lot of money from your name over the years, let someone else for awhile. :lol:

He probably would mind the name but the members of the band all have prosthetic overbites.

GEM
05-28-2011, 08:59 AM
He probably would mind the name but the members of the band all have prosthetic overbites.

Horsemouth is a better punk band name anyways. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
So, they're a Denver area punk band calling themselves "Elway" and for some reason John Elway has to give them shit over the name?

If they were out of St Louis would he be acting this way? What, is he the only person in the U.S. that has that name and holds all the rights to it? Is it copyrighted to him?

Maybe one of the guys in the band is named Elway. Maybe they just like the name. This is just stupid and I'm sorry to have to call John an idiot, but he's an idiot.

Now, if the band were calling itself "John Elway" or using his likeness, he might have a case, but just the name "Elway" by itself means nothing.

This is as asinine as when Lindsay Lohan tried to sue e-trade because they used the name "Lindsey" for one of their babies who was a "milkaholic". She claimed that the name "Lindsay" was representative of her and they were using it without her permission. Or like when Paris Hilton tried to trade mark the term "that's hot".

Most celebrities are self absorbed idiots who believe that because they have money and status, they can change the rules to suit them. In this case, John is just showing his ass. I hope he sues the band and I hope they counter sue and earn the rights to the name and then force John to pay them gratuities to use it. Elway's greatness just took a little hit in my small world...

BroncoJoe
05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
They should just change their name to "The Johns". I hear their music is toilet worthy anyway.

TXBRONC
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
They should just change their name to "The Johns". I hear their music is toilet worthy anyway.

Isn't that what hookers call their clients?

Npba900
05-28-2011, 02:14 PM
So, they're a Denver area punk band calling themselves "Elway" and for some reason John Elway has to give them shit over the name?

If they were out of St Louis would he be acting this way? What, is he the only person in the U.S. that has that name and holds all the rights to it? Is it copyrighted to him?

Maybe one of the guys in the band is named Elway. Maybe they just like the name. This is just stupid and I'm sorry to have to call John an idiot, but he's an idiot.

Now, if the band were calling itself "John Elway" or using his likeness, he might have a case, but just the name "Elway" by itself means nothing.

This is as asinine as when Lindsay Lohan tried to sue e-trade because they used the name "Lindsey" for one of their babies who was a "milkaholic". She claimed that the name "Lindsay" was representative of her and they were using it without her permission. Or like when Paris Hilton tried to trade mark the term "that's hot".

Most celebrities are self absorbed idiots who believe that because they have money and status, they can change the rules to suit them. In this case, John is just showing his ass. I hope he sues the band and I hope they counter sue and earn the rights to the name and then force John to pay them gratuities to use it. Elway's greatness just took a little hit in my small world...

When you have a networth of $100 million......you have power! It just depends how you want to use it.:coffee:

Ravage!!!
05-28-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't think Elway is out of line.. he's right. The band IS using his name to promote their band. What if the band is a group that offends, women, children, or minorities? What if it just represents something that he doesn't want tied to his name, in general? That's what happens when your name IS your product.

Try to start a band and call it Wal-Mart, and see what happens. Try to opne a restraunt and call it Joe Montana's, and see if that works.

Ravage!!!
05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
the "Bare Naked Ladies" came up with their name so that people would fill the bars wher ethey played, because on the advertisement it said "Bare Naked Ladies"... guys fill the joint.

Perhaps they should call their band "Free Beer"

HORSEPOWER 56
05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't think Elway is out of line.. he's right. The band IS using his name to promote their band. What if the band is a group that offends, women, children, or minorities? What if it just represents something that he doesn't want tied to his name, in general? That's what happens when your name IS your product.

Try to start a band and call it Wal-Mart, and see what happens. Try to opne a restraunt and call it Joe Montana's, and see if that works.

Wal-Mart is a registered trade mark. Joe Montana is a person. If you wanted to start a band named "Montana", even if it was admittedly named after the SF QB, Joe Montana wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Once again, the band isn't named "John Elway" they are just Elway. Look in any phone book and you'll probably find an Elway or two. Hell, I used to work with a guy named Elway (no relation to John). It's just a name.

If Elway was that concerned, then he should've applied for copyright or trademark protection of his name.

I can guarantee you that NOBODY is going to see the punk band "Elway" just because of their name... even in Denver. Would you?

Dzone
05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Elway should be more worried that as he gets older he looks more and more like Gary Bussey

Magnificent Seven
05-28-2011, 04:04 PM
There is a song called, "ELWAY" from different band. Check it out.

http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/friendsforever.html

Juriga72
05-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Funny thing is..... they asked Janet and she was cool with it.....LOL

BroncoSojia
05-28-2011, 05:42 PM
There is a song called, "ELWAY" from different band. Check it out.

http://www.loadrecords.com/bands/friendsforever.html

Avast says that site contains viruses (Trojan Horse)

KCL
05-28-2011, 06:59 PM

:lol:

too funny!

KCL
05-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I think they should be able to call themselves Elway...Now if they called themselves the Denver Broncos that would be wrong...but Elway isn't a big deal...IMO.

horsepig
05-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Good Lord! Back in the 80's my buddy's would all laugh their asses off when Elway called a TO and walked over to Reeves on the sideline.

"Wilburrrr, what do we do now?" Hoof in the dirt, hoof in the dirt.

Remember when the Boz printed thousands of tee-shirts saying "Willburrrr" with a very toothy picture of John. Boz played for the Seabutts and made something like $20,000 on those stupid tee-shirts that day. I thought it was pretty smart marketing by Boz, probably the only successful thing he did in the NFL.

You have to appreciate the humor in the rivalries. Then the Chickenhawks fled to to the NFC, but we had some pretty entertaining games with them in the old days.

Dzone
05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh crap, this whole story is now going onto the national news. It just popped up on yahoo. Is this good or bad for Elway? Its great for the group, thats for damn sure, they are getting loads of free pub. Looks bad for the original Elway to be gettin pissy about it

red98
05-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh crap, this whole story is now going onto the national news. It just popped up on yahoo. Is this good or bad for Elway? Its great for the group, thats for damn sure, they are getting loads of free pub. Looks bad for the original Elway to be gettin pissy about it

I don't see requesting a band change their name as gettin pissy.

There was no threat of a lawsuit or anything in the letter. I don't see what the big deal is.

Well for the band it's a big deal. They are getting major pub off this.

KCL
05-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe John should have taken it as a compliment...what kind of band is it again? Like someone posted he doesn't have a trademark on the name.If the band were using his likeness then I could understand him not liking them using the name for their band.

I'm surprised he even took the time to comment with the mess going on in the league.

KCL
05-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I thought this part was pretty good.

The band, to its credit, was mostly amused. In a statement released via punknews.org, the band acknowledged the letter and suggested Elway had better things to do in the wake of the Broncos' disastrous 2010 season.

Dzone
05-30-2011, 10:21 AM
We should all be so lucky to have rock bands naming themselves after us.

Juriga72
05-30-2011, 05:57 PM

I tired to sue "The Smiths" for using my last name, but the judge told me that I couldn't file suit as my last name is not Smith

KCL
05-30-2011, 07:15 PM

They're a punk band..maybe that's what upset him.

Dzone
05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
whatever happened to Elways son? Didnt he go to ASU to play quarterbaCK?

Juriga72
05-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Alaska State University dropped football when Jack showed up....

slim
05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

He quit.

If you have ever seen the coeds on Mill Avenue, you wouldn't be able to focus on football either.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:26 AM
I just heard that John is pissed because one of the guys dresses as a trombone player who gets run over in a football game....