PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos' Franklin has an upside but will need some help to protect Tebow

TXBRONC
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Q&A: Broncos' Franklin has an upside but will need some help to protect Tebow
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/27/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: If the Broncos wind up with Tim Tebow as their starting quarterback, doesn't it mean the usually dominant left tackle now becomes the right tackle? This would put Orlando Franklin in the key spot to protect Tebow's blind side. Franklin is known as a massive run blocker, but nothing is said about his pass blocking ability. Would this indicate the Broncos are comfortable with Franklin as a dominant protector for Tebow, or that (the Broncos) really aren't counting on a left-handed quarterback?

A: Defenses also usually keep their speed rushers coming from the defensive right no matter who the quarterback is.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18148777

EFX made clear that they see Franklin as a right tackle regardless of who is the quarterback. In fact, on that radio program that Elway participates in he said exactly the same thing Legwold did in the Q&A.

gobroncsnv
05-27-2011, 10:02 AM
kind of interesting that the Broncos invested such a high draft choice on this guy if they thought the O line was ok...

underrated29
05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
We knew they were going to get a RT- It was said after fox got hired that Ryan Harris was not coming back...Not because we did not want him but because what he is worth is more than we are willing to pay. he can get a fair amount in FA. Plus the injury thing made RT a dire need.

As I said after the draft. I think Franklin makes the biggest impact on the broncos out of all our rookies. I think he will immediately become quite a few peoples favorite OL guy- even surpassing the Mighty Clady.

I cant wait to see him plow some holes for our RBs. This dude is mean and legit-my two fav characteristics for lineman (ol or DL)

TXBRONC
05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
kind of interesting that the Broncos invested such a high draft choice on this guy if they thought the O line was ok...

Who do we have that can fill the void left by Harris?

Bosco
05-27-2011, 10:24 AM

I think the general feeling is that while Ryan Harris is a borderline Pro-Bowl talent, he is too unreliable health wise, meaning we need to have other options available. I personally like Ryan Harris and hope he can return to his 2008/early 2009 form, but I understand why the team made the pick they did.

TXBRONC
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I think the general feeling is that while Ryan Harris is a borderline Pro-Bowl talent, he is too unreliable health wise, meaning we need to have other options available. I personally like Ryan Harris and hope he can return to his 2008/early 2009 form, but I understand why the team made the pick they did.

Harris will be a free agent that's one of the reasons they drafted Franklin.

Bosco
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Harris will be a free agent that's one of the reasons they drafted Franklin.

Good catch, I forgot about that. I wonder if they'll make a move to re-sign him.

TXBRONC
05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Good catch, I forgot about that. I wonder if they'll make a move to re-sign him.

Anything possible right now.

Bosco
05-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I been under the impression that Harris isn't interested in staying so EFX is willing to let him walk.

If that's the case, Harris is making a bad move. Harris is going to be viewed as an injury risk by any team, but I doubt they would give him more money than the team that's seen his level of play up close when healthy.

rcsodak
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
By not signing his tender, harris hurt his chances for a payday, imo. RT's that specialize in zbs aren't going to make that much. I just think he'd have a better chance at starting, making some money in denver.
As tx said, guess we'll see.

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
the last 2 left handed QB's to survive the NFL with a ton of success is Mike Vick, and Steve Young. Do we really want to switch the playbook to left handed.

Andrew Luck selected 1st overall by the Denver Broncos.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
the last 2 left handed QB's to survive the NFL with a ton of success is Mike Vick, and Steve Young. Do we really want to switch the playbook to left handed.

Defenses tend not to align differently for left-handed quarterbacks, so that's kind of a non-issue.

Defenses that employ multiple fronts and varying personnel do what they do and are few and far between. So I don't think Denver needs to worry about what hand the quarterback throws with.

nevcraw
05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
the last 2 left handed QB's to survive the NFL with a ton of success is Mike Vick, and Steve Young. Do we really want to switch the playbook to left handed. Andrew Luck selected 1st overall by the Denver Broncos.

offenses tend to stick to a right handed qb playbook.

rcsodak
05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

You/bs both think they should tank for luck.

That's not how the league operates. And you have no idea how he'll do this year, or get injured, etc.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
By not signing his tender, harris hurt his chances for a payday, imo. RT's that specialize in zbs aren't going to make that much. I just think he'd have a better chance at starting, making some money in denver.
As tx said, guess we'll see.

If he doesn't stay, I bet he ends up in Houston playing for Kubes or in DC back playing for Shanny. Somebody will pay him.

HammeredOut
05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Defenses tend not to align differently for left-handed quarterbacks, so that's kind of a non-issue.

Defenses that employ multiple fronts and varying personnel do what they do and are few and far between. So I don't think Denver needs to worry about what hand the quarterback throws with.

Frankie Albert
Terry Baker
Mark Brunell
Ernie Case

Jim DelGaizo
Bobby Douglass
Boomer Esiason
JJ Fitzpatrick
Will Furrer
Tony Graziani
David Greene
Brock Huard
David Humm

Matt Leinart
Jared Lorenzen
Matt Lytle
Todd Marinovich

Steve Matthews
Paul McDonald
Cade McNown
Scott Mitchell

Doug Nussmeier
Tyler Palko
Dave Ragone
Allie Sherman
Chris Simms
Ken Stabler

Tim Tebow
Michael Vick
Pat White
Eric Wilhelm
Steve Young
Jim Zorn

I list of left handed QB's that played in the NFL.

I would say about 6 of them actually panned out. Zorn, Young, Vick, Stabler, Brunell, Somewhat Scott Mitchell for 3 seasons.

6 out of 35 or only 16% of left handed QBs ever drafted or played ever had any success. So i would disagree that Left handed QBs have the same kind of success as Right Handed QBs. As asserted, the most successfull QB's were not pure passers, but scramblers as left handed hurlers.

MOtorboat
05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
:shots:

Lonestar
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Lets now count the number of right handers that did not make it I suspect the% is higher than 15%

Ravage!!!
06-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Lets now count the number of right handers that did not make it I suspect the% is higher than 15%

I can't believe I'm agree'ing, but I was going to say the same thing.

That stat of "failure" means absolutely NOTHING. There are much much fewer left handed QBs in the NFL than there are right handed ones, and I'm betting the % (to keep the numbers comparable) is MUCH MUCH higher for failure with right handed QBs.

That there is stating a fact, that absolutely has NOOOOO bearing on the situation.

Lonestar
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Meant to add this in my post.
IIRC the % of lefties in society is about 15 %.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Frankie Albert
Terry Baker
Mark Brunell
Ernie Case

Jim DelGaizo
Bobby Douglass
Boomer Esiason
JJ Fitzpatrick
Will Furrer
Tony Graziani
David Greene
Brock Huard
David Humm

Matt Leinart
Jared Lorenzen
Matt Lytle
Todd Marinovich

Steve Matthews
Paul McDonald
Cade McNown
Scott Mitchell

Doug Nussmeier
Tyler Palko
Dave Ragone
Allie Sherman
Chris Simms
Ken Stabler

Tim Tebow
Michael Vick
Pat White
Eric Wilhelm
Steve Young
Jim Zorn

I would say about 6 of them actually panned out. Zorn, Young, Vick, Stabler, Brunell, Somewhat Scott Mitchell for 3 seasons.

6 out of 35 or only 16% of left handed QBs ever drafted or played ever had any success. So i would disagree that Left handed QBs have the same kind of success as Right Handed QBs. As asserted, the most successfull QB's were not pure passers, but scramblers as left handed hurlers.

Your're being completely dishonest. Most people know that there are more right handed people on the planet than there are left handed people.

SOCALORADO.
06-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Frankie Albert
Terry Baker
Mark Brunell
Ernie Case

Jim DelGaizo
Bobby Douglass
Boomer Esiason
JJ Fitzpatrick
Will Furrer
Tony Graziani
David Greene
Brock Huard
David Humm

Matt Leinart
Jared Lorenzen
Matt Lytle
Todd Marinovich

Steve Matthews
Paul McDonald
Cade McNown
Scott Mitchell

Doug Nussmeier
Tyler Palko
Dave Ragone
Allie Sherman
Chris Simms
Ken Stabler

Tim Tebow
Michael Vick
Pat White
Eric Wilhelm
Steve Young
Jim Zorn

What about Boomer Esiason? He didnt pan out?

HammeredOut
06-01-2011, 08:05 AM
What about Boomer Esiason? He didnt pan out?

lol... o.k one slipped by me. Take Scott Mitchell out and Esiason in on that list..

My point is that left handed QBs had literally no success in the NFL. Sure right handed QBs fail everyday, but when it comes to playbook, and football, right handed QBs are at the top of every category. Look at the list of leaders in the stats department today, all right handed.

The Broncos are going against the grain because of our lefty Tim Tebow. He comes from a school that litterally had heisman bust, after heisman bust in the NFL, and our guy is left handed.

SOCALORADO.
06-01-2011, 09:01 AM
lol... o.k one slipped by me. Take Scott Mitchell out and Esiason in on that list..

My point is that left handed QBs had literally no success in the NFL. Sure right handed QBs fail everyday, but when it comes to playbook, and football, right handed QBs are at the top of every category. Look at the list of leaders in the stats department today, all right handed.

The Broncos are going against the grain because of our lefty Tim Tebow. He comes from a school that litterally had heisman bust, after heisman bust in the NFL, and our guy is left handed.

Dude, just make a "I Heart Andrew Luck" thread.
That way we can all stick to the topic of this thread, which is Franklin and the O-line. :D

HammeredOut
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Dude, just make a "I Heart Andrew Luck" thread.
That way we can all stick to the topic of this thread, which is Franklin and the O-line. :D

My point was, whats the point in having a left handed QB if literally none of them panned out. Maybe 1 or 2 good lefty's per decade.

That has everything to do with the O-line and Franklin.

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
My point was, whats the point in having a left handed QB if literally none of them panned out. Maybe 1 or 2 good lefty's per decade.

That has everything to do with the O-line and Franklin.

Well, the quota on lefties in the 2010s hasn't been filled. So we're good. :elefant:

HammeredOut
06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, the quota on lefties in the 2010s hasn't been filled. So we're good. :elefant:

lol.. maybe we get the one good lefty of the decade. History is not on his side though.

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
This is a remarkable argument.

HammeredOut
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM

The lefty QB arguement would make a hell of a book.

MOtorboat
06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
The lefty QB arguement would make a hell of a book.

What's the percentage of right hand quarterbacks that make it versus those who do?

underrated29
06-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Dont worry about hammerhead. He has the worst takes ever!

He absolutely hates anything ever done by josh mcdaniels. So since tebow was drafted by josh. He hates Tebow. since knowshon was drafted by Josh he hates Knowshon. Since we drafted ayers and walton and beadles and cox and everyone we brought in VIA FA he hates. No matter who or what they are.

Like I said, blinded by hate and seriously the worst positions ever!

BroncoJoe
06-01-2011, 10:46 AM
What's the percentage of right hand quarterbacks that make it versus those who do?

I'd guess around 50%.

HammeredOut
06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Dont worry about hammerhead. He has the worst takes ever!

He absolutely hates anything ever done by josh mcdaniels. So since tebow was drafted by josh. He hates Tebow. since knowshon was drafted by Josh he hates Knowshon. Since we drafted ayers and walton and beadles and cox and everyone we brought in VIA FA he hates. No matter who or what they are.

Like I said, blinded by hate and seriously the worst positions ever!

Who cares about Josh McDaniels. I certainly don't. Nobody in the league for that matter.

Was Josh McDaniels drafting some of the worse in the league. I tend to believe so at this point. In comparison to production, and average of average production, sure McDaniels failed.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 12:12 PM
If he doesn't stay, I bet he ends up in Houston playing for Kubes or in DC back playing for Shanny. Somebody will pay him.

If Harris could stay healthy he's a very good offensive tackle imo.

broncobryce
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
How many stanford qbs made it percentage wise?

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
How many stanford qbs made it percentage wise?

Two if count Jim Plunkett. I can't think of any other quarterbacks out of Stanford that have had remotely as much success as those two.

NightTerror218
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
If Harris could stay healthy he's a very good offensive tackle imo.

Franklin is suppose to be just an all around beast who played left tackle and knows about protecting the QB. But he went to guard after that. He mentions he prefers to be a run blocker, well that would work well with a very mobile Tebow.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Franklin is suppose to be just an all around beast who played left tackle and knows about protecting the QB. But he went to guard after that. He mentions he prefers to be a run blocker, well that would work well with a very mobile Tebow.

I think he actually started off at guard and was moved to left tackle one year and then last year he went to right tackle.

He could turn out to be a better book end with Clady than Harris was.

broncobryce
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Two if count Jim Plunkett. I can't think of any other quarterbacks out of Stanford that have had remotely as much success as those two.

I forgot about plunkett. I would count him as a success.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I forgot about plunkett. I would count him as a success.

John Brodie
Craig Morton
Joe Kapp......

NOT a bad list there either

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
John Brodie
Craig Morton
Joe Kapp......

NOT a bad list there either

Morton and Kapp played at California.

But you were right about Brodie.

NightTerror218
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I think he actually started off at guard and was moved to left tackle one year and then last year he went to right tackle.

He could turn out to be a better book end with Clady than Harris was.

I dont think he has played right tackle, just right guard. But i think his experience as a left tackle would help in defending Tebow.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Morton and Kapp played at California.

But you were right about Brodie.

Damn..... Sumbitch. My bad... I KNEW Brodie did... I really thought Mort and Kapp were Tree Huggers too...

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Damn..... Sumbitch. My bad... I KNEW Brodie did... I really thought Mort and Kapp were Tree Huggers too...

Close enough they were at Berkeley. :salute:

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Close enough they were at Berkeley. :salute:

Do you remember Brodie... he would throw that screen pass just about 6 " over the defenders hand... it was like grounding without the grounding call....LMAO

Damn I hated the 49'ers just cause of him.....

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Do you remember Brodie... he would throw that screen pass just about 6 " over the defenders hand... it was like grounding without the grounding call....LMAO

Damn I hated the 49'ers just cause of him.....

I can't say I remember Brodie because I never saw him play. I've only seen high lights.

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I can't say I remember Brodie because I never saw him play. I've only seen high lights.

Dear lord.... he ran the screen play ike all 3 downs... and each time he threw the ball just about 6" over the hands of the defender......

i would yell each time..."THIS time....".. "NO... THIS time......" praying for a INT.

I would puke as he marched them down the field.

TXBRONC
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Dear lord.... he ran the screen play ike all 3 downs... and each time he threw the ball just about 6" over the hands of the defender......

i would yell each time..."THIS time....".. "NO... THIS time......" praying for a INT.

I would puke as he marched them down the field.

You have a tv in your van down by the river?

Juriga72
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
You have a tv in your van down by the river?

19" Goldstar!!!!! lol B/W