PDA

View Full Version : Citing job security, coaches side with players in labor dispute

Denver Native (Carol)
05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
WELL - this is interesting

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL Coaches Association filed an amicus brief with the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday, supporting the players' cause as the league appeals an injunction granted to lift the lockout.

The NFLCA's contention, as stated in the brief, is that the NFL "is attempting an end-run around a unanimous Supreme Court," saying that the court clearly stated the league is subject to the Sherman Act in the American Needle case last year and held it responsible for subsequent antitrust violations.

"To me, this is a real simple deal: Coaches are opposed to the lockout because it's negatively affecting coaches," said Larry Kennan, director of the NFL Coaches Association. "If it were a strike, we would be against the strike, like we were in '87. This just happens to be the owners, and we're opposed to them, because they're locking out. But if it was a strike, we'd be against the players."

rest of article - fairly long - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82002f63/article/citing-job-security-coaches-side-with-players-in-labor-dispute?module=HP_headlines

Lonestar
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Hmm ante just got raised.

Not sure I'd like to be very vocal as a coach in this matter. Could lead to being fired down the road.

TXBRONC
05-25-2011, 09:40 PM
No losing leads to being fired.

FanInAZ
05-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmm ante just got raised.

Not sure I'd like to be very vocal as a coach in this matter. Could lead to being fired down the road.

Retaliatory firings over labor disputes are illegal. Any team that fired its coach over this would be exposed to a lawsuit.

rcsodak
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Retaliatory firings over labor disputes are illegal. Any team that fired its coach over this would be exposed to a lawsuit.
You don't think the owners and their lawyers could work around it?

Besides, with their contracts as such, the owners would still have to pay something. Unless they just decide to not renew and" go in a different direction".

Ravage!!!
05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
They could find other reasons to fire the coaches, they just can't cite the reasons being because of the labor issues. Being that they are NFL coaches, there are PLENTY of ways to fire a guy, unlike in other jobs where they might have a hard time showing that they were sub-par in their job.

I think the owners are simply showing that they want to get to work with their players. Can't blame them since their jobs are graded by their wins. Owners know how these things go, and its obviously not just a 'few' coaches, but he entire coaches union that is siding.

Interesting twist

rcsodak
05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
All the coaches except for the 'Skins'.

Lonestar
05-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Now just where did I say they would be that dumb.

If they fire the guy it will be for cause.

But being quiet over a labor issue would win him a bit more rope ..

NO ONE in management (coaches) should ever be vocal about union issues..

Owners have zero sense of humor about this stuff.

and have very long memories about moronic comments .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2011, 09:59 PM
All the coaches except for the 'Skins'.

Not really -There is a possibility that the teams did not even know this was going on - if that is the case, wonder who was behind this?????

The Jacksonville Jaguars' coaching staff distanced itself from a court brief filed last week by the NFL Coaches Association. And it wasn't the only staff to do so Wednesday.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said his staff had no knowledge of the statement, which supported the players in the NFL's labor dispute.

rest of article - interesting - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8201d8c6/article/more-coaches-question-nflcas-brief-supporting-players?module=HP_headlines

Denver Native (Carol)
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
The list of coaching staff leaders publicly distancing themselves from the NFL Coaches Association's brief filed with the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals continues to grow.

very interesting - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82022789/article/reactions-to-nflcas-brief-range-from-surprise-to-anger?module=HP_headlines

rcsodak
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Not really -There is a possibility that the teams did not even know this was going on - if that is the case, wonder who was behind this?????

rest of article - interesting - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8201d8c6/article/more-coaches-question-nflcas-brief-supporting-players?module=HP_headlines

Wha? A union acting out on its own? :eek:

LordTrychon
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
:laugh:

Wow.

NightTerror218
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I guess a lot of coaches were not happy this suit was filed. Not all coaches are apart of the NFLCA. The Saints coaches for one are not part of it. On ESPN several articles about coaches condoning this suit because it does not represent all of them and that they are on the coaches side.

Nomad
06-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know if this has been posted but here's an interesting article..........http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/05/how-the-eighth-circuit-could-issue-a-ruling-neither-side-will-like