PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Dumervil will fit in just fine in Fox's 4-3 defense

TXBRONC
05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Q&A: Dumervil will fit in just fine in Fox's 4-3 defense
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/25/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: When Mike Shanahan was Denver's head coach, Elvis Dumervil was thought to be too small to play defensive end. He was deemed best suited to play outside linebacker. After the firing of Shanahan and the hiring of Josh McDaniels, the Broncos switched to a 3-4 defense. Now that John Fox has replaced McDaniels, the Broncos are back to playing a 4-3 defense and Dumervil is back to being at the line of scrimmage. How can the Broncos best utilize Dumervil's talent?

A: Dumervil figures to be a three-down player who lines up primarily at right defensive end in Fox's 4-3. With rookie Von Miller expected to line up on the other side, at strongside linebacker, the Broncos could have an impact pass rusher on each edge of their defense.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18130143

I am looking forward to seeing what Miller and Dumervil can for our pass rush.

HammeredOut
05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
This is the best set of linebackers since Bill Romanowski, John Mobley, and Glenn Cadrez. we have a better pass rush version of Romanowski in Dummerville, Von Miller May already be better then Mobley, and I'd say DJ williams is every bit as good, if not better then Glenn Cadrez was during our superbowl runs.

We need a line, and a pair of safetys.

slim
05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Doom is not a LB :listen:

rcsodak
05-25-2011, 01:47 PM
This is the best set of linebackers since Bill Romanowski, John Mobley, and Glenn Cadrez. we have a better pass rush version of Romanowski in Dummerville, Von Miller May already be better then Mobley, and I'd say DJ williams is every bit as good, if not better then Glenn Cadrez was during our superbowl runs.

They drafted 2 safety last month. You want 2 more?

HammeredOut
05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Doom is not a LB :listen:

My bad.

Were just putting Doom down in the dirt. I was thinking that we were going to do a poor boys version of how Mike Nolan used him, to get us a ton of sacks. So I was assuming weakside LB.

Im not sold on Dooms in the dirt, he looked bad getting pushed off the line in run plays. We should just have a rover postion for him like how Clay Matthews is used. I think Dummerville can get to the QB just as good as Clay if not better.

HammeredOut
05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
They drafted 2 safety last month. You want 2 more?

R. Moore was the top safety in the draft, I think he will do better then what we have. I was impressed with this pick. If he gets 1 year with B.Dawk, I have faith he could be a pro-bowler learning from a future HOF. It will take a few games to settle in. I give him 6 weeks to knock out the rookie tendencys, but after that he has no excuses.

Im not sure on Quint Carter. He was Oklahoma's top DB, and practising against one of the better college QB's in the country everyday, seems fitting he might be able to pick up and contribe here and there. Playing Carter at nickel or simple cover 4 situations may not be so bad after all.

underrated29
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
My bad.

Were just putting Doom down in the dirt. I was thinking that we were going to do a poor boys version of how Mike Nolan used him, to get us a ton of sacks. So I was assuming weakside LB.

Im not sold on Dooms in the dirt, he looked bad getting pushed off the line in run plays. We should just have a rover postion for him like how Clay Matthews is used. I think Dummerville can get to the QB just as good as Clay if not better.

I would not be surprised if we did something close to that for doom and miller. Those guys can fly and maybe it was you who pointed it out but I found it very interesting that clay mathews rarely drops in coverage. His position does require it but they make it so that he does not have to as much and more or less just gets after the QB which he does really dam well.

rcsodak
05-25-2011, 02:08 PM
R. Moore was the top safety in the draft, I think he will do better then what we have. I was impressed with this pick. If he gets 1 year with B.Dawk, I have faith he could be a pro-bowler learning from a future HOF. It will take a few games to settle in. I give him 6 weeks to knock out the rookie tendencys, but after that he has no excuses.

Im not sure on Quint Carter. He was Oklahoma's top DB, and practising against one of the better college QB's in the country everyday, seems fitting he might be able to pick up and contribe here and there. Playing Carter at nickel or simple cover 4 situations may not be so bad after all.

So....you're saying they don't need 2 S's afterall? ;)

HammeredOut
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
So....you're saying they don't need 2 S's afterall? ;)

im not sure on Quint Carter. He's just listed as a DB, and not a safety, so my point is, it doesn't matter what Quint Carter does. I like Moore. One of the main problems in the pass defense the past 4 or 5 seasons has been pass defense from the safety position. Nobody had the range to play centerfield. Im not sure we do even with Moore drafted. It will take half a season to figure out what Moore is made of.

We need B.Dawk to be impact like his philly days, but those days are long over. So now we can hope he shows our rookies how to play the position at a pro bowl level whether its part time on the field or off the field. B.Dawks knowledge is invaluable because of that. Its like having a Coach out on the field, because you know, B.Dawk trusts and reads out the plays better then most in the history of the postion.

We still dont have a center fielder. Somebody we can let go and rome around allowing our defense to do other things like fool a QB from passing to an area or running the ball because we have 8 in the box.

We need DT's. Plug-Stoppers. Rotational DT's. Although it hasn't worked for us the last decade.

rcsodak
05-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I would not be surprised if we did something close to that for doom and miller. Those guys can fly and maybe it was you who pointed it out but I found it very interesting that clay mathews rarely drops in coverage. His position does require it but they make it so that he does not have to as much and more or less just gets after the QB which he does really dam well.

He also plays in a 34D.
I was hoping for Capers when GB grabbed him. Grrrrr

rcsodak
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
im not sure on Quint Carter. He's just listed as a DB, and not a safety, so my point is, it doesn't matter what Quint Carter does. I like Moore. One of the main problems in the pass defense the past 4 or 5 seasons has been pass defense from the safety position. Nobody had the range to play centerfield. Im not sure we do even with Moore drafted. It will take half a season to figure out what Moore is made of.

We need B.Dawk to be impact like his philly days, but those days are long over. So now we can hope he shows our rookies how to play the position at a pro bowl level whether its part time on the field or off the field. B.Dawks knowledge is invaluable because of that. Its like having a Coach out on the field, because you know, B.Dawk trusts and reads out the plays better then most in the history of the postion.

We still dont have a center fielder. Somebody we can let go and rome around allowing our defense to do other things like fool a QB from passing to an area or running the ball because we have 8 in the box.

We need DT's. Plug-Stoppers. Rotational DT's. Although it hasn't worked for us the last decade.

Well, I watch every OU game. Needless to say, I was calling for them to draft him.
He's SAtwater with hands, and better speed.

TXBRONC
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Sure, I expect that in certain situations Miller will be dropped back in coverage but I really don't think it will be a significant amount. I think his main job on passing downs will be meet Dumervil at the quarterback for a sack party.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2011, 03:38 PM

what you talking about? Doom can't/won't play the middle. Mobley as a very good LB while Von Miller hasn't played a single down. How can you say he's already better??? :confused:

rcsodak
05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Almost sounds like TT followers when he was drafted. :lol: