PDA

View Full Version : Town Hall Discussion: Modification to policy on bypassing filtered words -- use of profanity

Tned
10-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Ok, it has been suggested that we are too strict on our policy regarding not allowing people to circumvent the filter outside of the lounge.

Our current rule was implemented in early January, after extensive Town Hall discussion. The current rule is:

The following Amendment/interpretation guideline has been added to the rules. Please review:

Implemented: New Guidelines On Allowed/Disallowed Words and Acronyms

Remember, these guidelines do not override any existing rules. Meaning, even if a word or acronym is allowed in general, it does not allow you to disregard the rules that prohibit personal attacks or sexually explicit/graphic comments.

Here are the new guidelines.

If a word is censored, meaning if you type a word that the message board automatically replaces with ****, it is NOT allowed to to use characters like !, @, etc. to get around the profanity filter, nor can you add a smiley to the end of a censored word or use any other trick to get around the profanity filter.

It is allowed for a member to type a censored word and let the profanity filter substitute **** for it. This will be seen as the equivalent of beeping or bleeping out bad words on TV/radio.

Acronyms that are allowed: WTH, WTF, FUBAR, SNAFU, LMAO, LMFAO, ROFLMAO, ROFLMFAO, BS, SOB

Acronyms that are not allowed: S.T.F.U., F.U.

This guideline will not list specific words that have been approved or disapproved. If the profanity filter replaces a word with ****, do not use any variation of that word, nor alter it to get it past the filter. If a moderator tells you a word or word variation is not allowed, do not use it.

The following quote from another Town Hall Discussion posed the question of whether or not our circumvention of the filter rules is too strong. Here is what a member posted:

IMO, this example seems a tiny bit strict as far as the interpretation of "circumventing the language filter"... if one was to type "fuuck" or "fu ck" or other means that display the actual profanity, then yes...but "f'k" or "f*ck" or "sh*t" are like self-censorship on the part of the poster... similar to "azz" or "a$$" instead of the less-acceptable word for donkey. I mean, how is "****" different from "sh*t"? One still knows what the poster meant in most cases

So, the discussion here is about whether or not the rule regarding not circumventing the language filter (outside of the lounge) should be changed. Since ass and shit are not censored, this is primarily related to F-bomb varieties: f*ck, f'ck, etc., but there are a few other words that people at times alter to circumvent the censor filter, rather than typing **** and having the filter put * in the place of all letters.

Please discuss what you think about the current rule, as well as the suggestion to loosen the 'circumvention' rule, or any other input you have regarding the the guidelines on allowed/disallowed language.

HolyDiver
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
How about Frickin.............or freakin?

frauschieze
10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
I think the rule is fine the way it is.

SR
10-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm with frau.

Fan in Exile
10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm with Frau as well. I don't think that the examples used where self-censorship. They seem designed to still get the point across.

ApaOps5
10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
I tend to think that if you censor your own phrase like sh*t (using this word so I don't break the rules!) it shouldn't be breaking the rules. To me breaking the no profanity rule is finding ways to bypass the filter either via HTML coding, or alternate spellings.

NightTrainLayne
10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Frau is right. The rule is fine just as it is.

If you relax it at all, then why bother having any rules against profanity? I can't come up with an answer to that question.

Kapaibro
10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Well as someone who uses fuq, or b'artch, I don't see the difference in saying "fugging bish" or I'll have some of that 'ish'.

Everyone knows what those mean, so if you get around the profanity filter with symbols, isn't getting around the profanity filter by deliberately misspelling a word the same?

frauschieze
10-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Well as someone who uses fuq, or b'artch, I don't see the difference in saying "fugging bish" or I'll have some of that 'ish'.

Everyone knows what those mean, so if you get around the profanity filter with symbols, isn't getting around the profanity filter by deliberately misspelling a word the same?

We went through all of this discussion when we first decided upon the profanity rules months ago, and decided words like freakin', frickin' and whatnot are okay. Bitch and shit aren't filtered so ish and bish are fine.

Fugging....I think I used that in the Broncos Talk area once and it was changed. I don't remember if we specifically talked about that word or not. :confused:

SR
10-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Bitch isn't filtered. For the record.

Kapaibro
10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Bitch isn't filtered. For the record.

I think this is more in regards to outside of The Lounge.

And whether or not using other words to circumvent the CoC should warrant an IP

Tned
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
How about Frickin.............or freakin?

Frickin and freakin are allowed, as the base rule is what is said on primetime network TV is allowed in the main (non lounge) forums. These terms, Frickin, freakin, etc. are used regularly on primetime network TV.

Yes, this is definately in regards to outside the lounge, since in the lounge, circumvention is allowed for all but a few words, like the big C.

HolyDiver
10-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Frickin and freakin are allowed, as the base rule is what is said on primetime network TV is allowed in the main (non lounge) forums. These terms, Frickin, freakin, etc. are used regularly on primetime network TV.

Yes, this is definately in regards to outside the lounge, since in the lounge, circumvention is allowed for all but a few words, like the big C.

I think I broke his Freakin neck..........one of my all-time favorire lines.

SR
10-27-2008, 09:23 AM

But saying bitch outside of the Lounge isn't against the rules since it's not filtered. Right?

I'm just trying to make sure I don't break any rules. I'd like to be a mod here again some day.

LordTrychon
10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
When I read Sh*t or F*ck, I hear the word in my head, which is not usually the case with ****... although it can be if the context is strong enough, I guess.

*shrug*

girler
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Ok, um, what's the problem? The Lounge is NC-17, right? So beyond the lounge is PG? Or PG-13? Maybe just set up a list of words allowed and/or not allowed and be done with it. Otherwise it will be up in the air and debatable forever. JMO.

deacon
10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I tend to think that if you censor your own phrase like sh*t (using this word so I don't break the rules!) it shouldn't be breaking the rules. To me breaking the no profanity rule is finding ways to bypass the filter either via HTML coding, or alternate spellings.

I guess I have a different take on this. I don't see using spaces or *'s as a means of self censorship. What I see is someone who knows what they're doing is wrong and so they are "circumventing" the filter.

In my mind, if a reasonable person can see what was meant, it needs to not be there. For this reason I'm not a fan of the *** filter but I also understand that it's necessary to catch the offender who just types the word.

I would recommend that when the filter is used (for instance: What the ****!) that person get a 1 point warning not to even type those words.

All in all I support whatever Tned and the mods come up with.

deacon
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
When I read Sh*t or F*ck, I hear the word in my head, which is not usually the case with ****... although it can be if the context is strong enough, I guess.

*shrug*

Exactly except the **** also works that way for me.

Day1BroncoFan
10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think it's broken so why try to fix it?

CoachChaz
10-27-2008, 10:47 AM
There has been a time hear and there when I've dropped a profanity somewhere other than the Lounge and it was simply a matter of forgetting which thread I was in. But a mod reminded me and it was dealt with. I really dont see a problem with the way things are being run right now.

Personally, I have enough faith and confidence in our group of mods to allow them to collectively decide if a person warrants a banning or not...without utilizing some point system.

HolyDiver
10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
There has been a time hear and there when I've dropped a profanity somewhere other than the Lounge and it was simply a matter of forgetting which thread I was in. But a mod reminded me and it was dealt with. I really dont see a problem with the way things are being run right now.

Personally, I have enough faith and confidence in our group of mods to allow them to collectively decide if a person warrants a banning or not...without utilizing some point system.

I too, have "forgotten" which thread I was in.......oops. .........In fact anytime I say a cuss word, it's because I think I'm in the lounge.

CoachChaz
10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I too, have "forgotten" which thread I was in.......oops. .........In fact anytime I say a cuss word, it's because I think I'm in the lounge.

Well, when we spend 90% of our time there...it tends to happen. I just dont think I need to be issued points for something like that.

Now...if I called HD a ******,****ing ****-****er that likes to **** goats and chickens while ****ing his mother...then I could understand.

But if it was meant as a joke, then it is as bad?

NightTrainLayne
10-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think this issue will have much to do with the IP idea. It looks like at worst such an incident would be a one point infraction, and you could do it 20 times before it resulted in any real action. Surely, you could figure out what you were doing wrong by then.

I would also guess, that in practice if it was a one-time thing and you hadn't been reprimanded for it before that the Mods would give you a chance to edit the post before giving you a point, instead maybe just a warning.

If it is a common occurence, then that's why the points are there, to penalize repeated infractions.

BroncoJoe
10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
This thread reminds me of my thread at the freak asking:

"What does **** you! mean?"

ApaOps5
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I guess I have a different take on this. I don't see using spaces or *'s as a means of self censorship. What I see is someone who knows what they're doing is wrong and so they are "circumventing" the filter.

In my mind, if a reasonable person can see what was meant, it needs to not be there. For this reason I'm not a fan of the *** filter but I also understand that it's necessary to catch the offender who just types the word.

I would recommend that when the filter is used (for instance: What the ****!) that person get a 1 point warning not to even type those words.

All in all I support whatever Tned and the mods come up with.

I never looked at it that way. Thats an excellent observation. I disagree though that it should be a 1 pt violation of the filter is used. The way I type on the forums is by saying it in my head and typing it. If I am angry I am guilty of dropping a curse word. If its a fast paced dialogue I don't proof read as much and the filter catches it no harm no foul. Punishment should be for those who try to bypass it.

Traveler
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Can I call someone a Richard Skull without being penalized?

ApaOps5
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Can I call someone a Richard Skull without being penalized?

No thats against the rules. But Richard Cranium is fine! :lol:

dogfish
10-27-2008, 02:24 PM
i also agree with frau. . . the rules are fine as is-- the lounge is relaxed, as it should be, but i don't see any need to have people dropping f-bombs in the fotball forums. . . and if you allow them to bypass the filter, then there's no point having a filter in the first place. . .

there IS one thing i that think should be changed, though-- can we remove basterd (mods, please don't edit this until T sees it :laugh: ) from the prohibited list? it's certainly no worse than bitch, and besides-- how can i call rivers a rat basterd otherwise?

HolyDiver
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
i also agree with frau. . . the rules are fine as is-- the lounge is relaxed, as it should be, but i don't see any need to have people dropping f-bombs in the fotball forums. . . and if you allow them to bypass the filter, then there's no point having a filter in the first place. . .

there IS one thing i that think should be changed, though-- can we remove basterd (mods, please don't edit this until T sees it :laugh: ) from the prohibited list? it's certainly no worse than bitch, and besides-- how can i call rivers a rat basterd otherwise?

Actually ******* is a word I use alot..............especially when talking about cswil.

dogfish
10-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Actually ******* is a word I use alot..............especially when talking about cswil.

it's pretty much my favorite word-- i need it. . . .

gnomeflinger
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Bassturd seems to work fine. :D

What does SNAFU mean? :confused: Seriously, I just thought it was a word meaning in a sticky spot, never thinking it was an acro.

dogfish
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Bassturd seems to work fine. :D

What does SNAFU mean? :confused: Seriously, I just thought it was a word meaning in a sticky spot, never thinking it was an acro.

situation normal all ****ed up

:salute:

gnomeflinger
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
situation normal all ****ed up

:salute:

Wow, you learn something new everyday. :lol:

gnomeflinger
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
In some of the non-lounge threads, I think the filter of certain words should be allowed because of the nature of the thread. For example, the Music Title Thread. There are song titles with certain "sentence enhancers" in them, so that should be an acception to the rule.

GEM
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
For ........ sake, I can already guess which of Coach's posts got the big NO NO from the mods. :tsk: Over Moderation is just as bad as Under Moderation.

Let's not make this place like the very place we all left from....if we're going to do that, we might as well save T the money and go back to Mania.

Dr Velcro
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
And Fred the Bunny needs a place to be Dr Velcro.

Northman
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
For ........ sake, I can already guess which of Coach's posts got the big NO NO from the mods. :tsk: Over Moderation is just as bad as Under Moderation.

Let's not make this place like the very place we all left from....if we're going to do that, we might as well save T the money and go back to Mania.

There was no over moderation, read the guidelines.

GEM
10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
There was no over moderation, read the guidelines.

Give me a break Anu....we all seriously knew what Coach was getting at and unless he is seriously going after another poster, I don't see an issue with it. He wasn't demeaning anyone.

Northman
10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Give me a break Anu....we all seriously knew what Coach was getting at and unless he is seriously going after another poster, I don't see an issue with it. He wasn't demeaning anyone.

Doesnt matter, the guidelines are quite clear about not making up multiple accounts no matter who it is. That is what his violation is for, not him going after another poster.

Dr Velcro
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Have you guys ever read or watched the movie "Lord of the Flies"?

I was just wondering....:coffee:

Northman
10-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you guys ever read or watched the movie "Lord of the Flies"?

I was just wondering....:coffee:

Yea, pretty good movie. Although Equilibrium is much better. Kind of like Fahrenheit 451 which is awesome.

ApaOps5
10-27-2008, 03:31 PM

I tend to agree with you. You create too many rules and nit pick everything it will chase people away. But if you don't have rules and moderation the inmates run the jail. The goal is to find the sweet spot.

Broncos Mtnman
10-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Leave the rules alone. If you're going to permit certain variations to circumvent the filter, why have banned words at all? And if you go that route, I know I won't be around.

I probably shouldn't have said that. I just gave a bunch of people a reason to vote for changing the rules..... :lol:

Buff
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Can we get "Cutler" added to the list of banned/filtered words?

dogfish
04-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Can we get "Cutler" added to the list of banned/filtered words?

good thinking. . . . how about "you haven't even seen them play yet" also. . . .

MOtorboat
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM

Irony...is what this is called.

Was there an actual decision made on this, or did we just let this all die?

It seems as debate is par for the course here, and little is put on actual decisions.

OrangeHoof
07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm curious. I saw a word once and don't know if the filter would catch this or not, so here goes (sorry if this doesn't get filtered):

muhfugger

Well, I guess it got through. Up to you guys if you want to put this on the banned list.

Don't really care much if the policy gets banned or not. There's a difference between self-censorship and blatant circumvention. I'm happy with the policy either way as long you guys understand which is which.

NightTrainLayne
07-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Irony...is what this is called.

Was there an actual decision made on this, or did we just let this all die?

It seems as debate is par for the course here, and little is put on actual decisions.

Are you just trying to stir things up?

I glanced through the thread quickly. Tned asked if the language filter was too strict, and/or whether or not circumventing it should be allowed outside the lounge.

It seems that the overwhelming response was to keep it as is, so basically no change was made. Nothing wrong with discussing an issue and deciding to leave it as is.

Maybe you could actually offer some constructive ideas about how to make the board better instead of just riding your hobby horse around bitching about it.

slim
07-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Are you just trying to stir things up?

I glanced through the thread quickly. Tned asked if the language filter was too strict, and/or whether or not circumventing it should be allowed outside the lounge.

It seems that the overwhelming response was to keep it as is, so basically no change was made. Nothing wrong with discussing an issue and deciding to leave it as is.

Maybe you could actually offer some constructive ideas about how to make the board better instead of just riding your hobby horse around bitching about it.

Easy there mister big time.

MO has valid points. If you disagree, then disagree. No need to ruin the thread with unfunny funnies (no offense, Jimmy Kimmel).

LordTrychon
07-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Easy there mister big time.

MO has valid points. If you disagree, then disagree. No need to ruin the thread with unfunny funnies (no offense, Jimmy Kimmel).

What valid point? Just scrolled through, and I don't see that he posted in the original discussion at all... just bumped a dead thread to point out that no change was made when one was proposed...

NTL pointed out that the majority seemed to ask for there to be no change... so that was the decision that was made.

*shrug*

slim
07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
What valid point? Just scrolled through, and I don't see that he posted in the original discussion at all... just bumped a dead thread to point out that no change was made when one was proposed...

NTL pointed out that the majority seemed to ask for there to be no change... so that was the decision that was made.

*shrug*

Did the good doc tell you to say that?

LordTrychon
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Did the good doc tell you to say that?

Yeah, I'm a puppet.

NightTrainLayne
07-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I'm a puppet.

The Force is strong with this one.

slim
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'm a puppet.

Better you realize it now...I think that is the main reason for the failure of most relationships.

"I am sorry" will be your go-to line, hence forth (whether you mean it or not).

girler
07-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'm a puppet.

https://www.greenpointtoys.com/images/3895-Puppet-Ballerina.jpg

NightTrainLayne
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
This is the Town Hall guys and gals.

:focus:

slim
07-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah....c'mon guys.

girler
07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Woops! Eff me! Sorry I totally ballsed that up. :eek:

LordTrychon
07-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Besides, if you're going to call me a puppet, at least call me a puppet for the moderators.

That would maybe make sense, and actually get some response.

:laugh:

On that note... Everyone needs to get :focus:.

Now.