PDA

View Full Version : Soon To Be Stars - Robert Ayers

NorCalBronco7
05-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Theres ALWAYS hope, right?

The switch to the Denver Broncos’ new 4-3 defense might favor Robert Ayers more than any other player on Denver’s roster. The former 2009 first round pick fits his new defensive end role better than playing outside linebacker in the old 3-4 scheme. This 25-year-old could be poised to take a big step in the right direction next season.

Ayers is a sturdy end who can secure the edge in the run game. As of right now, he is better versus the run than the pass, but he does have some upside as a pass-rusher. He should benefit from the attention that Elvis Dumervil will demand on the opposite side on most downs and surely the attention that rookie Von Miller will command as a pass-rusher on throwing downs. When Miller does line up with his hand on the ground, Ayers could potentially take on a Justin Tuck-like role as a tough interior pass-rusher who can out-quick his slower interior offensive line opponent. But so far, Ayers has recorded only one and a half sacks in his three seasons in the league. Obviously that isn’t good enough. If Denver adds a defensive tackle or two in free agency with pass-rush skills, Ayers could find himself as a two-down player.

Both Dumervil (knee) and Ayers (foot) missed time with injuries last season. Before his injury, Ayers was playing very well -- even in his new role at linebacker. But he wasn’t the same when he returned after missing five games in the middle of the season. A fresh Ayers could take a big step forward.

Other players that I considered include Perrish Cox and Chris Kuper. Two wideouts also crossed my mind -- Eddie Royal could certainly rebound well and play like he did as a rookie, and Eric Decker's skill set could make him one of the more reliable receivers in this league before long.

Matt Williamson

I dont think Ayers will ever be a pass rushing force, but if he is, its because of inside power moves and nothing else. The 4-3 will help him, but ultimatley next year Broncos fans lable him a bust.

Ziggy
05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I see Ayers, Vick, and DJ all benefiting from the new scheme on defense, with Doom suffering. On offense, I see Beadles and Kuper benefiting from the ZBS, while Walton suffers. If we ever have a season, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

broncobryce
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Ayers only played 2 seasons. That guy should check his facts

rcsodak
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I didn't know the pec muscle was connected to the knee? :eek:

Lonestar
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I saw that also but waited for someone to jump on it.

I liked the ayers pick thought he was athletic enough to play either spot. He was a step behind doom in several
Of his sacks late on his rookie year.

nevcraw
05-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Ayers had shown flashes.. think he will begin to put it together this year.. That tuck role actually may suit.

broncohead
05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
I like the move to a 43 and it helps ayers a ton. I didn't like the pick for a 34 but he'll be a good DE imo

Bosco
05-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Ayers is already a very good player. I doubt going to the 4-3 is going to matter much for him.

SoCalImport
05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Well if he doesn't show us anything to earn that 1st round label under Coach Fox then he never will. Fox knows D-linemen.

TXBRONC
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Ayers had shown flashes.. think he will begin to put it together this year.. That tuck role actually may suit.

Moving back to his natural position can't hurt.

hamrob
05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Ayers tore up the Senior bowl as a DE. He was the most physically dominating player there. None of the scouts thought he fit the 3-4.

McD took him because he was perhaps the best defensive player in the draft....just not even close to being a good fit for a 3-4.

If he still has his confidence. Look out!

TXBRONC
05-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Ayers tore up the Senior bowl as a DE. He was the most physically dominating player there. None of the scouts thought he fit the 3-4.

McD took him because he was perhaps the best defensive player in the draft....just not even close to being a good fit for a 3-4.

If he still has his confidence. Look out!

If he his confidence was shaken I think moving back to his natural position would give it boost.

muse
05-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Hopefully going back to DE will be like riding a bike. Kind of. Also, with the extra skills needed for an OLB, maybe his time there will have done him some favours - ie having to have a greater awareness on the field, play recognition etc. That could really help on plays such as screens. Also, since he had to drop back in coverage, we may see some zone blitzes too.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I need to see something before I start singing his praises. 1.5 sacks in 2 years is atrocious. Vickerson, Haggan, and Hunter have more sacks than that.

Folks tend to overlook that Ayers did play a hand in the dirt DE role when we went to nickel last year and he was still ineffective at rushing the passer. Until he was hurt, he was given the exact same responsibilities Dumervil was in that defense (rush the passer and not much else) and he failed miserably. People keep praising him as some kind of run-stopping machine, but he had ONE good game (vs Tennessee) and now he's some kind of legend vs the run?

I think a lot of people are seeing way more than is actually there and wishful thinking that at least one of our 1st round picks pans out is taking over. Ayers was actually one of our worst front 7 players last year in games he played. Hopefully he improves. Not ready to crown him anything, yet.

TXBRONC
05-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I need to see something before I start singing his praises. 1.5 sacks in 2 years is atrocious. Vickerson, Haggan, and Hunter have more sacks than that.

Folks tend to overlook that Ayers did play a hand in the dirt DE role when we went to nickel last year and he was still ineffective at rushing the passer. Until he was hurt, he was given the exact same responsibilities Dumervil was in that defense (rush the passer and not much else) and he failed miserably. People keep praising him as some kind of run-stopping machine, but he had ONE good game (vs Tennessee) and now he's some kind of legend vs the run?

I think a lot of people are seeing way more than is actually there and wishful thinking that at least one of our 1st round picks pans out is taking over. Ayers was actually one of our worst front 7 players last year in games he played. Hopefully he improves. Not ready to crown him anything, yet.

HP there is only one person so far who has said that Ayers is already a good player. Everyone else has said the move should benefit him but I don't think that's the same thing as praising him.

MileHighCrew
05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
If he his confidence was shaken I think moving back to his natural position would give it boost.

What was it in that draft. I sure hope he isn't like Alphonso Smith and lost his confidence:confused:

TXBRONC
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
What was it in that draft. I sure hope he isn't like Alphonso Smith and lost his confidence:confused:

I never seen anything in print that says Ayers has lost confidence. :whoknows:

MileHighCrew
05-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I sure hope not, even if he has, that still shouldn't come out

Juriga72
05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
I never seen anything in print that says Ayers has lost confidence. :whoknows:

Maybe its the fact that all those other guys drafted after him amd :
Pro Bowls
Defensive MVP's
All Rookie teams

MileHighCrew
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe its the fact that all those other guys drafted after him amd :
Pro Bowls
Defensive MVP's
All Rookie teams

The only hope I have about that, is that it was well known and expected Ayers would be a late bloomer

TXBRONC
05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
The only hope I have about that, is that it was well known and expected Ayers would be a late bloomer

I think I'm going to like Ayers better as defensive end than I did as a linebacker. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Shananahan
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Ayers was actually one of our worst front 7 players last year in games he played.
I'd be interested in seeing you rank them 1-7, in that case.

Bosco
05-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I need to see something before I start singing his praises. 1.5 sacks in 2 years is atrocious. Vickerson, Haggan, and Hunter have more sacks than that. This is the problem with the way people, even the pundits who are supposed to know this stuff, evaluate players. They simply look at the stat page with zero knowledge or perspective of schematics and positional responsibility. This is an extremely poor and inaccurate way to try and rate a player's performance

Folks tend to overlook that Ayers did play a hand in the dirt DE role when we went to nickel last year and he was still ineffective at rushing the passer. Actually, he was playing DT, not DE in those 2-4-5 nickel hybrid sets. Different positions with completely different responsibilities. Even then, he was very effective in that role during the first couple weeks. Then the opposing coaches started to figure out what the schemes were, saw Ayers was the best and most physical pass rusher we had available and adjusted accordingly. They simply modified their offensive line protections to double Ayers and isolate him at the point of attack when needed and there was literally no one else on the defense capable of exploiting that.

Until he was hurt, he was given the exact same responsibilities Dumervil was in that defense That is a half truth. Ayers alternated between both positions based on down and distance.

People keep praising him as some kind of run-stopping machine, but he had ONE good game (vs Tennessee) and now he's some kind of legend vs the run? Funny that you cite the one game where he was quite literally playing at an elite level. You must have missed him in Jacksonville (good game) Seattle (solid) Indy (very good) and Baltimore. In Baltimore he played almost as good as he did in Tennessee, forcing the Ravens to run away from him much of the time until he got injured and the entire scheme fell apart.