PDA

View Full Version : NHL's Atlanta Thrashers sold, will move to Winnipeg, report says

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Owners of the Atlanta Thrashers on Thursday agreed to sell the team to a group that will move it to Winnipeg, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported Thursday night.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to make an announcement Tuesday after the sale of the team is completed by True North Sports and Entertainment, according to the newspaper.

That group, which owns the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League, will move the team to Canada where they will play at the MTS Centre arena in Winnipeg, the Globe and Mail reported.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18100340

MileHighCrew
05-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Hate to see it as a loss for another city, but I just moved form Winnipeg last summer, and that city is ready for an NHL team

MileHighCrew
05-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Not so fast

AGREEMENT TO MOVE THRASHERS TO WINNIPEG NOT COMPLETE YET

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366293

underrated29
05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
the jets the jets the jets.

If only med could get back the whale to hartford the circle would be complete

MileHighCrew
05-20-2011, 10:20 AM
The Whale and Quebec need their teams back, but keep the Canes and Avs too.

Medford Bronco
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
The Whale and Quebec need their teams back, but keep the Canes and Avs too.

The Whale def needs to come back. Move Columbus that is a pathetic place for hockey. Even Phoenix is not great for hockey.

I am a Canes fan even though my team left Hartford. I would like both. I would love to hear Brass Bonanza and dream of days that Verbeek, Dineen and Francis played well and MIke Liut would make a big save.

Also I have lots of respect for Winnipeg. They never should have lost their team. Bring back Phil Housley and Dale Howerchuck. and Thomas Steen. My time of loving hockey in the 80s. The most fun era with no neutral zone trap and actually guys could get 150 plus points and 60 goals in a year.

I cant forget the Statney brothers, Michel Goulet and Walt Poddubney and Ron Tugnutt and his 70 saves vs Boston.

a GAA under 3 was great not expected like now

OrangeHoof
05-31-2011, 04:59 PM
According to CBS, the move comes too late to change around the schedules and divisions for the coming season but realignment is likely for 2012-13 season.

No doubt the Thrashers/Jets will be put into the Northwest Division where they will have instant rivalries with Edmonton and Calgary. Either Minnesota or Colorado would then get the boot.

CBS suggests moving Colorado to the Pacific where it will play the West Coast teams, moving Dallas to the Central (which is really like the Upper Midwest) and taking either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville and moving them to the Southeast in place of Atlanta.

While being geographically furthest from the Southeast, Detroit *wants* to switch conferences so it can play most of its schedule in the Eastern Time Zone instead of playing out west all the time.

Personally, I'd just move Minnesota from the Northwest to the Central and then pick a volunteer to go from the Central to the Southeast. Seems the simplest recourse.

underrated29
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
eff detroit. I hope they have to deal with the most crap.

FanInAZ
05-31-2011, 06:38 PM
I've been in side several sports bars in metro Phoenix. I've seen banners & pics for football, basketball & baseball. I've never seen any for hockey. What does that suggest to you about hockey in the desert?

Medford Bronco
06-01-2011, 06:21 AM
According to CBS, the move comes too late to change around the schedules and divisions for the coming season but realignment is likely for 2012-13 season.

No doubt the Thrashers/Jets will be put into the Northwest Division where they will have instant rivalries with Edmonton and Calgary. Either Minnesota or Colorado would then get the boot.

CBS suggests moving Colorado to the Pacific where it will play the West Coast teams, moving Dallas to the Central (which is really like the Upper Midwest) and taking either Detroit, Columbus or Nashville and moving them to the Southeast in place of Atlanta.

While being geographically furthest from the Southeast, Detroit *wants* to switch conferences so it can play most of its schedule in the Eastern Time Zone instead of playing out west all the time.

Personally, I'd just move Minnesota from the Northwest to the Central and then pick a volunteer to go from the Central to the Southeast. Seems the simplest recourse.

Dont put Det in the Southeast it wouild screw up my division. Put them in with Boston and toronto and get the most rivalries

MileHighCrew
07-22-2011, 06:05 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2011/7/22/nhl_return_to_winnipeg_430x300_v03_61756.jpg

new jets logo
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372277

Medford Bronco
07-22-2011, 06:28 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2011/7/22/nhl_return_to_winnipeg_430x300_v03_61756.jpg

new jets logo
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372277

I like it, I think it is cool:cool:

SR
07-22-2011, 07:13 PM
IMO, anything but the original logo is unacceptable.

Dzone
07-22-2011, 07:29 PM
what kind of jet is that?
Atlanta doesnt deserve an NHL team , neither does anyplace in florida

SR
07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Looks like an F-16

Medford Bronco
07-22-2011, 07:40 PM
IMO, anything but the original logo is unacceptable.

Why? Teams change all the time. When Colorado got a team was the old Rockies logo anything but acceptable?

Medford Bronco
07-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Its an improvment over the Thrashers logo that is for sure

SR
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Why? Teams change all the time. When Colorado got a team was the old Rockies logo anything but acceptable?

Because that's my opinion now. When Colorado got the Avs from Quebec I was 11 years old and didn't know anything about tradition or history.

MileHighCrew
07-22-2011, 08:06 PM

it is based from the CF18 according to the story

MileHighCrew
07-22-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.globaltvbc.com/5146421.bin?size=sw380nws

here is the rest of it

Medford Bronco
07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Because that's my opinion now. When Colorado got the Avs from Quebec I was 11 years old and didn't know anything about tradition or history.

and the Rockies logo sucked and they sucked.

The Avs are much better then they ever were

OrangeHoof
07-23-2011, 02:18 AM

South Florida is a popular place for Canadian immigrants, at least that's what my brother tells me who lived just north of Miami for over a decade. Florida also has a lot of "snowbirds", northerners who travel south for the winter.

ShooterJM
11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
All I know is last time I was in Atlanta I got 2 seats for the thrashers/avs game, 4 rows from the glass the day before the game for $20 a seat. I got there and the place was a ghost town.