PDA

View Full Version : The leverage game could continue beyond June

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Most NFL observers believe that the leverage-over-compromise approach spawned by the players in March will runs its course once the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit issues a ruling in the appeal of Judge Nelson’s decision to lift the lockout.

From the players’ perspective, it was a simple, yet powerful, proposition. They could do a deal in the face of a threatened lockout in March or they could try to maximize their leverage with a court order lifting the lockout. If they lose, they can do a deal in the face of an actual lockout. Thus, the union had nothing to lose by disbanding the union and filing suit, and everything to gain.

So with the signs pointing clearly to the Eighth Circuit allowing the lockout to remain in place, the players will do a deal in the face of an actual lockout, and the season will proceed with no games missed, right? After all, that meshes with the message from Seahawks guard and NFLPA* representative Chester Pitts, who said on Monday before the court ruling was issued that the lockout will end soon, once one side gets leverage.

But there’s now a sense in some circles that the folks pulling the strings for the players will try to get the players to think of the next potential leverage point presented by the Tom Brady antitrust litigation. Even if the lockout remains in place, the case continues — with the players seeking three times their actual financial losses during a lockout that they contend is illegal. Confident that Judge Nelson will rule in their favor, the strategy would be to maximize the verdict and then take their chances on appeal, possibly before a new three-judge panel.

rest of article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/17/the-leverage-game-could-continue-beyond-june/

LordTrychon
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
It sounds like a worst case scenario guess to me.

The lockout tulings were expedited for obvious reasons. The brady suit is a standard lawsuit that could potentially take years according to other things I've read.

rcsodak
05-18-2011, 12:52 PM
The players are so totally controlled by their agents, while they're playing, they have no concept of what's going on.

Hells bells, 60% of the players that are out of the league for 3+yrs, are bankrupt!

Npba900
05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Meh! I predict the first two weeks of the NFL season will see no games. Then the season will start.

Canmore
05-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Meh! I predict the first two weeks of the NFL season will see no games. Then the season will start.

You are way more optomistic than I am. I don't forsee a 2011 season. Hope I'm wrong.