PDA

View Full Version : Personnel Staff Busy

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2011, 10:12 PM
With the 2011 NFL Draft in the books, I thought I’d check in with General Manager Brian Xanders and see what the personnel staff has on its plate at the moment.

“We’re getting ready for free agency with whatever system is in place, whether it’s an uncapped-year system or it’s the normal system,” Xanders said.

But that’s far from the only thing on the docket, even with an uncertain labor situation.

“We are working on our player personnel manual and we’re working on the 2012 draft,” the general manager explained. “All the scouts are watching all the tape for — we call it the summer manual for the 2012 draft, which will be printed on May 31. We’ll have an initial draft view and draft board at the end of May. All of our scouts are watching their schools assigned to them and they’re getting all the senior prospects and writing up a quick summary of what they think.

“So we’re really working on three things — the 2012 college draft, pro free agency for 2011, and then we’re refining our player personnel manual.”

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/personnel-staff-busy/

Lonestar
05-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Let's hope we are not drafting top 5 again because the screwed the pooch by not getting a real DT to stop the run.

TXBRONC
05-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Let's hope we are not drafting top 5 again because the screwed the pooch by not getting a real DT to stop the run.

Lets not forget we were in the top five this year because of joshy.

Ziggy
05-16-2011, 12:05 AM

You should start a thread about this after free agency........really.

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Regardless of what they do in free agency I would like see what Fox and Allen come up with before saying the screwed the pooch.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Why?

What are the odds of getting a long term solution let alone two of them in FA.

I think anyone with half a brain knows that quality DTs eat blockers and stop the run more effectively than a LB making the tackle after ashort gain.

If the pulling intereior OL can't pull and lock on to a LB everyone's day is better.

I could care less if the DT can get sacks just want them to clog the middle and force the offense into 3rd and longer then 2 to go.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Sure we can get some expensive old hacks but then we are back two years later or less doing the rinse repeat crap we have been doing since mikey came to town.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Schemes for covering for weaknesses are great, but are consistently beat if you do not have the Players you need to fill the gapping holes.

Nolans plan worked good till the old horses he had and the mini NT he brought in was exposed.

So much for defense. Went from top five to the depths in a flash

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Last time I checked Shanahan is three years removed from being the head coach. The old hack defensive linemen we had were all on joshy.

MileHighCrew
05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
No matter who they picked or what position there were going to be HUGE holes with this team. That is the result of eliminating talent for the last 2 years.

BroncoNut
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
this is terrible news. I am disappointed to hear this.

T.K.O.
05-16-2011, 09:53 AM
the broncos defense will rank at least 10 spots higher than last year,with a TON of int's......if there is a season:salute:

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
No matter who they picked or what position there were going to be HUGE holes with this team. That is the result of eliminating talent for the last 2 years.

Just which quality Dl guys did Josh get rid of, for that matter which OL guys that were worth a crap in the red zone did he jettison.

Let's talk apple and apples not apples a qumquats.

He got rid of misfits and folks that did network in the NFL anymore. Door closing so will resume when I get to ELP

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Right and replaced old broken down, can't play in the NFL players with what? More of the same and at that guys were better suited to a 4-3 than a 3-4.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Lets not forget we were in the top five this year because of joshy.Can a thread be had without getting spun into a mcd hatefest? Or should we start mentioning shannigans again.
Seriously, tx.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Last time I checked Shanahan is three years removed from being the head coach. The old hack defensive linemen we had were all on joshy.
Cuz shanny didn't bring in old hacks first? How many are even still in the league?

Seriously, tx.

Sorry, carol. Thanks for the story/link. Good stuff. As usual. ;)

MileHighCrew
05-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Just which quality Dl guys did Josh get rid of, for that matter which OL guys that were worth a crap in the red zone did he jettison.

Let's talk apple and apples not apples a qumquats.

He got rid of misfits and folks that did network in the NFL anymore. Door closing so will resume when I get to ELP

Sorry but you have had this conversation with many people including myself and you refuse to even be open to the idea that McD made mistakes. It is not worth it to go through this again, but if you really question it, start in any of the Cutler threads and work down from there. The flaws in your logic has been pointed out hundreds of times.

rcsodak
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Let's hope EFX can make some smart purchases/pickups if/when free agency begins.

This team is looking to go from being one of the oldest to one of the youngest in a short amount of time. That will be tough enough to overcome without holes/lack of depth.

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry but you have had this conversation with many people including myself and you refuse to even be open to the idea that McD made mistakes. It is not worth it to go through this again, but if you really question it, start in any of the Cutler threads and work down from there. The flaws in your logic has been pointed out hundreds of times.

Yep.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 07:52 PM
TKO the defense should be better no doubt, but unless they get some consistent help at DT there will be little chance that we will get many interceptions. Mainly because any team that has a decent running game will run the ball and not have to Pass the ball.

Just having a legit dc that knows defense will make a huge difference. But remember we are most likely going to have atleast 2 rookies and as many as 5 of them on the field as any one time. That in itself will great create havoc on missed assignements. Since all of those rookies will be behind the Dl that wil have fast Pass rushing DEs one of which probably has less rushing tackles than anyone wants to admit. Those rookie LBs are going to have to play at all pro levels to improve tEn spots.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 08:56 PM

I guess houses it as he did nothIng good and I see it Aa he did what mikey failed to do over the last decade. Replace aging vets that did nothing but eat cap space, relace the mega egos, with rookies that have talent but need developing.

No one wanted to say that this team needed to be torn apart and restarted. It was always we reload, we do not have to rebuild. Like the other teams have done from time to time.

But even with good drafting great Players get old. The OL of KC for close to a Decade had the rushing leader behind it as well as the lowest number of sacks allowed.

But they got old and sank to the bottom of the division now they have pretty much rebuilt the team with mostly low draft choices. And they will be a team to reckon with for along time IF they perodi ally replace pieces as they need them. Not all at once like they just had to do.

NE stunk it up for along time then they started drafting Dl and OL in ther top of their drafts and Thus have been world beaters since our superbowl years. Last year they made a mistake of letting seymor go but did get some great value for him.

Y'all have never hit it that uou win and lose at the Los the guys behind them do not have to be pro blowers to win they need to be good players.

I was nit haPpy at all with the lack of Dl players taken forever including Joshes lack of doing it. The first year I attributes it to Nolan and his choice of fields for his NT. thee can be nonother explanation of not taking one that year. Last year he brought in Williams and bannan to fill the void. I was still disappointed in them not taking a bone-fide NT. And as vocal about it both years.

As far as The bobsie

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM

I guess houses it as he did nothIng good and I see it Aa he did what mikey failed to do over the last decade. Replace aging vets that did nothing but eat cap space, relace the mega egos, with rookies that have talent but need developing.

No one wanted to say that this team needed to be torn apart and restarted. It was always we reload, we do not have to rebuild. Like the other teams have done from time to time.

But even with good drafting great Players get old. The OL of KC for close to a Decade had the rushing leader behind it as well as the lowest number of sacks allowed.

But they got old and sank to the bottom of the division now they have pretty much rebuilt the team with mostly low draft choices. And they will be a team to reckon with for along time IF they perodi ally replace pieces as they need them. Not all at once like they just had to do.

NE stunk it up for along time then they started drafting Dl and OL in ther top of their drafts and Thus have been world beaters since our superbowl years. Last year they made a mistake of letting seymor go but did get some great value for him.

Y'all have never hit it that uou win and lose at the Los the guys behind them do not have to be pro blowers to win they need to be good players.

I was nit haPpy at all with the lack of Dl players taken forever including Joshes lack of doing it. The first year I attributes it to Nolan and his choice of fields for his NT. thee can be nonother explanation of not taking one that year. Last year he brought in Williams and bannan to fill the void. I was still disappointed in them not taking a bone-fide NT. And as vocal about it both years.

As far as The bobsie triplets jay, BM and ts one or more of them needed to go as cap sap swoops nit have allowed us to keep them all. Their is little doubt in my mind that jay whined his way out of town and frankly IMO good riddance he never shows me anything mentally tough and after sEeing rivers get into his head in a few of those games I was glad the punk was gone IMHO he would have never beat rivers down the road. Ni thought Josh could have helped him become a better QB but always doubted he could make him mentally tough enough to beat San.

But then he got his panties in a wad when Josh would not kiss his ass and promise not to trade him. Just another case of being mentally weak.

So has Josh made mistakes sure but y'all expected Jim as a rookie HC to be perfect. Yeah sure. Hell even the great mikey made mistakes huge ones after about 15 years of hc'ing.

What the hell

Ravage!!!
05-16-2011, 09:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: YEah.. it was the drafting of the DL and not the QB that made that team Super Champions! :lol:

wow.. I mean.. just.... wow! :lol:

Slick
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Lol....you kill me jr.

horsepig
05-16-2011, 09:36 PM

As far as The bobsie triplets jay, BM and ts one or more of them needed to go as cap sap swoops nit have allowed us to keep them all. Their is little doubt in my mind that jay whined his way out of town and frankly IMO good riddance he never shows me anything mentally tough and after sEeing rivers get into his head in a few of those games I was glad the punk was gone IMHO he would have never beat rivers down the road. Ni thought Josh could have helped him become a better QB but always doubted he could make him mentally tough enough to beat San.

But then he got his panties in a wad when Josh would not kiss his ass and promise not to trade him. Just another case of being mentally weak.

So has Josh made mistakes sure but y'all expected Jim as a rookie HC to be perfect. Yeah sure. Hell even the great mikey made mistakes huge ones after about 15 years of hc'ing.

What the hell

Slow down your typing a little, jr. I almost need an interpretor to understand.

You know I agree 100% about the LOS.

I also agree 100% that the franchise has ignored, for the most part, the bacon up front for 15 years, maybe longer. Mikey did pick up some sweet FAs like Zim and Tony Jones.

Maybe Mike got gun shy when they let Pryce...and those two other DL go (I can't recall names). Both last names started with B, I think.

horsepig
05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Those were young DL studs who Mike let go, thinking, IMO, that he could get 2 or 3 players for the price, pun intended. However, you just cannot let the few young studs you draft just walk away. That's nuts.

horsepig
05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Berry and Hayward are the guys I was thinking of.

Lonestar
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Slow down your typing a little, jr. I almost need an interpretor to understand.
You know I agree 100% about the LOS.
I also agree 100% that the franchise has ignored, for the most part, the bacon up front for 15 years, maybe longer. Mikey did pick up some sweet FAs like Zim and Tony Jones.
Maybe Mike got gun shy when they let Pryce...and those two other DL go (I can't recall names). Both last names started with B, I think.

Sorry the iPhone I use makes some corrections on it's own and after about 5-6 lines can't go up far enough to proof read. Not to mention the super small keyboard and big fingers.

Sorry about that.

After he gave price the fat contract and then he needed to be jump started Every few games because he was unmotivated. I suspect that soured him on giving morons fat checks up front that were not completely vetted so to speak. So he let heard nd the other guy go alot of that was becaue he was pushing the cap every stinking year because of all the retread he brought in and the monumental flops he had on day one that sucked the coffers dry.

When he wanted to keep a good to great guy there was no money left.

20% or more each year for a long time was eaten up by DEAD money of players long since cut.

Songs made his own bed there trying to get the magic back he had in those first few years of FA. Where he got some real bargains. Then IMO he started to get desperate failure after failure to the point he started to bring in scum bags. And there were bunch of them. Carter leading the list. Then there was ihop guy. And also drafted some low life's.
We was screwed for many years because of his DAFTING. As good a s. Few liked 06 it would have taken him 2-3 more like it to get back to building a team via the draft.
We all know that was nit going to happen. One of the reasons Josh was brought in to do that.

TXBRONC
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: YEah.. it was the drafting of the DL and not the QB that made that team Super Champions! :lol:

wow.. I mean.. just.... wow! :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gobroncsnv
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
But if you remember, Brady getting knocked on his butt on EVERY pass play when they did the SB with the Giants, the G-men's formula worked. Brady even had grass stains on his teeth... looked GREAT to me...
Consistent and insistent pressure is the main weapon any D can have. and that makes the back 7 look much better than they would with lesser mortals up front.

Lonestar
05-17-2011, 02:17 AM
But if you remember, Brady getting knocked on his butt on EVERY pass play when they did the SB with the Giants, the G-men's formula worked. Brady even had grass stains on his teeth... looked GREAT to me...
Consistent and insistent pressure is the main weapon any D can have. and that makes the back 7 look much better than they would with lesser mortals up front.
You have to know the g men took more than just a few years to get that kind of DL.

How ever we have to be able to stop the run before anyone will have to pass.

Pass rushing DEs will rarely make that happen.

It is a choreographed dance all the parts have to be there or the ballerina leaps and falls on her face because no one was there to catch her.