PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' season far from lost

tubby
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Broncos' season far from lost
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Not long ago, the Broncos were arguably the most exciting team in the new NFL season.

Before groin strains, before a near-complete defensive conversion to the 3-4, before an offensive turnover epidemic, the Broncos were 3-0 and moribund Kansas City was up next.

Four weeks later, the Broncos' overriding question became: Where have you gone, DeAngelo Hall?

Not only have the Broncos lost three of their past four games, including a 41-7 Monday night drubbing at New England, but they've lost numerous key players to injuries.

"First of all, we have to humble ourselves, from top to bottom," said Elvis Dumervil, the Broncos' best pass rusher. "And we have to remember we're still in a great situation. We've beat a good team in Tampa. We beat the Raiders (when they picked on Oakland cornerback Hall). Beat the Chargers, beat the Saints. We have talent here. We have the coaches here. We just have to humble ourselves and get collected as a group and take on the next nine games, knowing we're still leading the AFC West. It's still positive around here."

For all their problems the past month, the Broncos remain atop the AFC West with a 4-3 mark.

By the time Mike Shanahan and his coaching staff and players return Sunday night to begin preparing for their next game, Nov. 2, against a Miami team that finished 1-15 last year, the Broncos still will be in first place.

Additionally, several injured players are expected to return to the practice field next week, although Champ Bailey will not be among them. The Broncos' standout cornerback is out at least four weeks, maybe longer, with a partially torn groin. Champ's brother, Boss Bailey, is out for the season with a knee injury.

It's the loss of the Bailey brothers, coupled with the embarrassing defeat in New England, that has people outside the Dove Valley locker room wondering if the Broncos are a first-place team in the midst of a free fall.

"A lot of key guys are hurt, and mentally guys are frustrated with the loss, the embarrassment we had Monday night," veteran running back Michael Pittman said. "But we have to stay focused. We have a lot of young guys on this team and as a veteran, we've got to keep these young guys who aren't used to losing like that (focused). I was on the Arizona Cardinals. I've lost games like this. And it can get frustrating, but you have to stay focused on the task at hand and that's to get to the playoffs."

Playoffs? If only they were played in September.

With quarterback Jay Cutler throwing darts and receivers Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall playing bull's-eye, the Broncos unveiled a new, high- powered passing offense that scored 41 points at Oakland, 39 points to beat San Diego and 34 more to edge New Orleans in the first three games.

But now the offense could use a jolt.

A return to health by receivers Brandon Stokley and Tony Scheffler and running back Selvin Young would help, but the offense may need something more.

Something like the debut of running back Ryan Torain. A rookie with feature-back potential, Torain is a 225-pound, one-cut bruiser who could infuse some much-needed energy into a slumping offense that has averaged less than 15 points in its past four games. Torain has been out since suffering a dislocated elbow in training camp. He expected to make his NFL debut next week against the Dolphins.

"It's getting better, getting stronger," Torain said of his left arm. "I have to keep fighting, so when Coach calls on my number, I'll be ready."

The defense will be much more difficult to fix. The Broncos could return to a 4-3 set, but with Champ Bailey down, the Broncos have only three cornerbacks — Dre Bly, Karl Paymah and rookie Jack Williams — for their three-cornerback, or nickel, packages. Which is enough, providing no one needs a breather or sprains an ankle.

They could stay in their 3-4, but with Boss Bailey out, do the Broncos insert Niko Koutouvides at inside linebacker and move Nate Webster to the outside?

No doubt, the Broncos reached their bye week at a crossroads. They are both leading and reeling.

With so many players down, the team needs to be hoisted by such young stars as Cutler, Marshall and Royal.

"In this league, you're going to have some ups and downs," Stokley said. "You have to be mentally tough. And the mentally tough teams are usually the ones that are good teams. It'll be a good test for us to see where we're at."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-step recovery plan
The Broncos (4-3) lead the AFC West but have lost three of their past four games. Post beat reporter Mike Klis offers his suggestions for a second-half turnaround after the bye:

1. Drop the 3-4

The Broncos could argue they had four better linebackers than defensive linemen when they had Boss Bailey. With Bailey gone and the Broncos not stopping the run, a return to a four-man line the rest of the season makes sense.

2. Get back to work

Injuries to Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler, Selvin Young and Eddie Royal devastated an offense that averaged 38 points through three games. Their return should spark a resurgence of a group that has averaged but 14.8 points since.

3. A more fun-loving Cutler

His eye-rolling and clipped responses at the postgame news conference Monday left the impression he'd rather be anywhere but captaining a sinking ship. He needs to be the team leader.

4. Beat Miami

Nothing instills confidence like victory. A victory after the bye would be huge. A loss, with two upcoming road games, and the season could spiral downward.

5. It's only the AFC West

The way this division "race" is unfolding, a 9-7 mark could take it. Keep focused on winning the West.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_10800219?source=rss

Rex
10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Great Read.

Thanks for posting.

BigDaddyBronco
10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Why didn't you highliglight #3 Tubby?

tubby
10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Why didn't you highliglight #3 Tubby?

I should have.

Dumbshit needs to Step His Game Up!

tubby
10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Nice find

Buff
10-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I like his 5-steps... The 3-4 should be scrapped with Boss out. Hopefully the bye week gets Jay reenergized and hopefully his finger isn't worse than they're letting on. If Jay can bust out, the whole team will follow.

I also like the fact that of the next 4 games-- none of the QB's are considered superstars-- Pennington, Anderson, Ryan, Russell... And of those teams, only Miami isn't rated in the bottom 10 in passing. So, in theory, losing Champ isn't as bad for this stretch as if it would have happened against some of the other passing teams. Still sucks any way you slice it, but I'm looking for silver lining here.

shank
10-24-2008, 11:33 AM
i agree that the first step on defense is ditchin the 3-4. it's done almost nothing positive, and has retarded any chance at fixing our 4-3.

Fan in Exile
10-24-2008, 11:44 AM
i agree that the first step on defense is ditchin the 3-4. it's done almost nothing positive, and has retarded any chance at fixing our 4-3.

I think that's the worst part about it, we need pass rushers and there's no way we're finding them when we've got that 3-4 front. If nothing else I don't think there's anyway that we should go into next years draft wondering about how Moss and Crowder are developing put them on the field and let's see, then if we have to get a stud pass rusher we know for sure.

ApaOps5
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I should have.

Dumbshit needs to Step His Game Up!

And step up his attitude. The grumblings are getting louder about his attitude. Check that chip at the door and play football. No more interviews no more infantile press conferences. Play football and answer the questions after the game.

Just my .02 cents!

I would also like to add a 6th step. Ditch the Lowry experiement.

HolyDiver
10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
A 41-7 defeat plus a bye week......SHOULD be the ticket to getting these guys to play with a little more passion.............Now though, we are missing Champ and Boss, PLUS have a real problem at Safety..........Our Defense could be alot worse in the next several weeks if we don't somehow, generate a passrush.

Buff
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
A 41-7 defeat plus a bye week......SHOULD be the ticket to getting these guys to play with a little more passion.............Now though, we are missing Champ and Boss, PLUS have a real problem at Safety..........Our Defense could be alot worse in the next several weeks if we don't somehow, generate a passrush.

The worst part about last game was that we finally had a pass rush and still got killed because we couldn't stop the run...

Now if we can stop the run and generate pass rush... Well, then we'd have ourselves an NFL calibur defense.

Fan in Exile
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking we should go with a 6-1 front just to see if we have any good d-linemen. Send em all out there and let the best guys win.

turftoad
10-24-2008, 11:59 AM
The worst part about last game was that we finally had a pass rush and still got killed because we couldn't stop the run...

Now if we can stop the run and generate pass rush... Well, then we'd have ourselves an NFL calibur defense.

The pass rush wan't a big deal in that game. Cassell has been one of the most sacked QB's all season.

HolyDiver
10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking we should go with a 6-1 front just to see if we have any good d-linemen. Send em all out there and let the best guys win.

What happened to the 10 man rush like we did against Philly in.......2004???? Alot of 8 and 9 man fronts, sending everyone but Champ............McNabb was running for his life............Of course we still had Trevor Pryce too.

Buff
10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
The pass rush wan't a big deal in that game. Cassell has been one of the most sacked QB's all season.

You're right, it's nothing to write home about. But when the pass rush has been so noticeably absent for the past season and a half it's hard not to take notice that they finally woke up for one game...

And we were generating decent success witht he rush during the first half when we held them to two FG's off of two turnovers... But as the game wore on it became increasingly less relevent due to the score and their success on the ground.

Fan in Exile
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
What happened to the 10 man rush like we did against Philly in.......2004???? Alot of 8 and 9 man fronts, sending everyone but Champ............McNabb was running for his life............Of course we still had Trevor Pryce too.

I would be totally okay with an 11 man rush now that Champ is out. It would be awesome to have an 11 man rush and watch the WR get hit by some 315 pound lineman right at the line of scrimmage. You might lose but it would be funny. :laugh:

LRtagger
10-24-2008, 12:56 PM

I think our sack numbers had a lot to do with Champ blanketing Moss. I think a few of those sacks came when Cassell was looking for Moss, but he was covered and he didnt have time to go to his second and third reads.

We only had one sack in the second half with Champ out and Cassell and Moss had a field day.

With Champ out it will be even more difficult to generate sacks.

broncofaninfla
10-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I think our sack numbers had a lot to do with Champ blanketing Moss. I think a few of those sacks came when Cassell was looking for Moss, but he was covered and he didnt have time to go to his second and third reads.

We only had one sack in the second half with Champ out and Cassell and Moss had a field day.

With Champ out it will be even more difficult to generate sacks.

We also switched to 4/3 in the second half. I agree, with Champ out offense will be even braver.

Lonestar
10-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I like his 5-steps... The 3-4 should be scrapped with Boss out. Hopefully the bye week gets Jay reenergized and hopefully his finger isn't worse than they're letting on. If Jay can bust out, the whole team will follow.

I also like the fact that of the next 4 games-- none of the QB's are considered superstars-- Pennington, Anderson, Ryan, Russell... And of those teams, only Miami isn't rated in the bottom 10 in passing. So, in theory, losing Champ isn't as bad for this stretch as if it would have happened against some of the other passing teams. Still sucks any way you slice it, but I'm looking for silver lining here.

They wiil be afer playing DEN..

NightTrainLayne
10-24-2008, 04:51 PM

We fired Coyer, that's where they went.

ApaOps5
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
They wiil be afer playing DEN..

Exactly, Denver made Cassell Offensive Player of the Week. Thats just pathetic.